2018-2019 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wanna ask the same question •﹏•

Last cycle, the last interviews were held in mid-January. I believe the last IIs to go out were in late December.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for freaking everyone out by updating this thread (lol) but I have a question! I'm a little unsure about how Letters of Intent work. At this point I've attended most of my interviews and can honestly say that HMS is my top choice. Can I send a LOI to inform them of this or are LOIs usually just for people on the waitlist? Also, side-question, does an LOI usually require an update along with it or is it just an "I love you, accept me. I'll go here no matter what" haha! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone complete 8/13 or later hear anything for Pathways track in terms of interview invites?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for freaking everyone out by updating this thread (lol) but I have a question! I'm a little unsure about how Letters of Intent work. At this point I've attended most of my interviews and can honestly say that HMS is my top choice. Can I send a LOI to inform them of this or are LOIs usually just for people on the waitlist? Also, side-question, does an LOI usually require an update along with it or is it just an "I love you, accept me. I'll go here no matter what" haha! Thanks everyone!

IIRC, you’re only allowed 2 portal updates. I wouldn’t use one up by sending a LOI, especially this early in the game. Personally, I don’t think a LOI carries any weight.

can anyone else here describe what their interview day was like?

How in depth were the interviews? Was it 30 min or an hour? Did they match you with someone knowledgeable in your field of research?

Feel like a fraud interviewing here. I havent gotten tons of interviews or any from the other powerhouses that are interviewing already like columbia or nyu. Glad for the chance though!

How in depth were the interviews? Was it 30 min or an hour? Did they match you with someone knowledgeable in your field of research?

Feel like a fraud interviewing here. I havent gotten tons of interviews or any from the other powerhouses that are interviewing already like columbia or nyu. Glad for the chance though!
mine were 45+ minutes with a student and faculty interviewer. we talked about my background and career goals in one interview with a few research questions and in the other interview we just had a conversation with no references to anything on my application. both were open-file, casual, and low-stress. You aren't a fraud! You earned this and they want you here, so just be yourself and enjoy the experience :)

To add to the previous poster. Mine were both faculty, also about 45 min. In my case they did seem to pair me with physicians who shared my interests, but this was the case for some not all of the interviewees that day and could have been coincidence. Neither interviewer challenged me too much. Instead they gave me the chance to elaborate on my experiences and clarify parts of my application they found interesting

I go here and still feel like they made a mistake. The truth is, if they didn’t think you could hang, they wouldn’t invite you to interview. It’s hard, but try not to be intimidated by the school. 90% of the time, I forget I’m even at Harvard. This school is so much more laid back and welcoming than anyone realizes.

Reactions: 4 users
mine were 45+ minutes with a student and faculty interviewer. we talked about my background and career goals in one interview with a few research questions and in the other interview we just had a conversation with no references to anything on my application. both were open-file, casual, and low-stress. You aren't a fraud! You earned this and they want you here, so just be yourself and enjoy the experience :)

oh okay thats awesome! Did you go to the night before event? O___O Did they ask you why our school? lol.

And thanks man. I will!

To add to the previous poster. Mine were both faculty, also about 45 min. In my case they did seem to pair me with physicians who shared my interests, but this was the case for some not all of the interviewees that day and could have been coincidence. Neither interviewer challenged me too much. Instead they gave me the chance to elaborate on my experiences and clarify parts of my application they found interesting
Thanks to both of you that reassures me a lot. Seems very down to earth! Did they ask you why Harvard by any chance?

oh okay thats awesome! Did you go to the night before event? O___O Did they ask you why our school? lol.

And thanks man. I will!

Thanks to both of you that reassures me a lot. Seems very down to earth! Did they ask you why Harvard by any chance?
I went to the pre-interview event! It is helpful for getting to know the other interviewees and ask current students some questions. It isn't necessary to go if you can't make it though and I wasn't asked why Harvard haha I assume they know why we'd want to go here

II to Pathways/HST/MD-PhD today. Complete late August

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright y'all, the answer to this question might be obvious, but does Harvard accept ITA (in the area) notifications by any chance (pre-II)? I have done this for a few other schools with some success in scheduling convenient interview times, but Harvard is you know...Harvard. They might not bother with measly ITA requests lol. Anyone have any input on this? I tried searching past threads and couldn't find much.

MSTP II Today. C: ~8/20
Edit: Also pathways

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Any MD applicants complete early sept got an ii yet?

I'd recommend not sending this just yet. LOI are more important for waitlisted candidates than they are for general applicants, and sending it so early in the cycle can make it look like you're sending it everywhere. It's best to combine this into an update later in the cycle, or definitely send in if waitlisted.

I know it's impossible to predict because of faculty interviews, but can anyone who's already interviewed give time-range of when the interview day will most likely end. Thanks!

I know it's impossible to predict because of faculty interviews, but can anyone who's already interviewed give time-range of when the interview day will most likely end. Thanks!
I had my last interview at 3 and left campus around 4:15, but some folks had interviews that started at 5. I'd say you'll be done somewhere between 4 and 6. They have a very nice lounge for applicants to hang out in during the day. Especially nice if you have to wait till 5 for an interview.

II to Pathways today!! Can't believe it! They still had dates available in Oct and Nov so don't give up hope guys

Reactions: 12 users
Are there any current HST students on here who would be willing to answer questions? Thanks!

Are there any current HST students on here who would be willing to answer questions? Thanks!

If there aren’t, I’d be happy to put you in touch with an HST student.

Anyone who has interviewed here know the policy for thank you notes. Do we just send them to the admissions email?

rejected MSTP, Pathways II today
Me too! Lucca, would you consider going to pathways if you got into another MSTP? I would probably attend and hope I make it into the dual degree as an internal applicant.

Me too! Lucca, would you consider going to pathways if you got into another MSTP? I would probably attend and hope I make it into the dual degree as an internal applicant.

Jury’s still out. I’m attending the MD II to scope out what affiliating might be like / how it might shake out financially. That’s assuming I even got the MD acceptance haha. We’ll see.

Reactions: 2 users
Jury’s still out. I’m attending the MD II to scope out what affiliating might be like / how it might shake out financially. That’s assuming I even got the MD acceptance haha. We’ll see.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath on getting in either. It's fun to dream though!

Anyone can affiliate. About 50% end up receiving funding that covers the last two years of medical school, and the other 50% pay as they normally would as MD students.
What does affiliate mean? As in transfer to the md phd? Or just use the name?

No, you can't just use the name. You join the program, and work to earn both your MD and your PhD.
Of course, but you said anyone can affiliate so I was confused as to what you meant by anyone can affiliate.

Anyone can internally apply for MD/PhD following matriculation to Pathways/HST and people have already done that since August.
This was what i was wondering sorry for the confusion. Thank you!

Hi. Does anyone know the policy on sending updates?

Does anyone know the policy for thank you notes post interview?