2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it reasonable to assume that if you submitted your secondaries within 48 hours of receiving them that you’re likely on hold for said school?

I weirdly got all 6 of my II before August 10th and have had radio silence since. The other 20 or so I’ve applied are all “top” schools so I’m just speculating but want to know if anyone has experience

I'm ORM with an MCAT lower than this mark (but GPA above) and got an II here in the first round but of course n=1. Thanks for the info!
Race isn’t the only demographic

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it reasonable to assume that if you submitted your secondaries within 48 hours of receiving them that you’re likely on hold for said school?
On hold as in your app has been read and they are waiting to read more before extending an II? No, that’s not reasonable to assume.

If you include the pre-med criticism, it now potentially makes me question if "earnest" is a coded spin word. The literal definition is showing intense/severe conviction. If used properly, being described as earnest says nothing about your kindness or tact with words. Think about all those reality shows/dating shows where "I'm a straight shooter/I tell it like it is/I'm incredibly honest" is just code for "I'm a total dingus."

That suicide thing is an extreme situation. The concern frankly isn't so much that you're going to be a dick to patients in their worst moments, but more that you're going to be a dick to your classmates, teachers, and other staff who will have much more face time with you than any patient. That's why an LOR from someone with face time talking about how much of a joy it is to have you around and how personable you are is critical for this to work.

EDIT: love the SDN autocorrect to "dingus"
I wound up reading that LOR due to a rather interesting series of SNAFUs and ineptitude on the part of my professor; long story short, he emailed it to me for me to send to AMCAS, and I had to walk him through the process. He said that my social skills were highly developed and that I was excellent at building and creating community...Downside is, I only had this professor for one course.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I'm ORM with an MCAT lower than this mark (but GPA above) and got an II here in the first round but of course n=1. Thanks for the info!
Sorry, you are right. I just noticed I wrote 520. I meant to write 510

Or reject pile?
Again, not reasonable to assume. The turnaround time is not that fast. There isn’t a dedicated, fully compensated admissions staff like your college, these are students, physicians, and PIs working mostly on a volunteer basis to read these apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone explain to me how everyone has at least one II on this website and I've applied to 30+ schools and received nothing? Do y'all think there's a red flag on my application?

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone explain to me how everyone has at least one II on this website and I've applied to 30+ schools and received nothing? Do y'all think there's a red flag on my application?
What was your complete date? I also don't have any interviews, complete end of July, with a 3.6 519. I'm also a re-applicant though.

you're ignoring the selection bias. people on this site are more likely to post if they have IIs. there's still plenty of time to hear back for interviews

Reactions: 5 users
We also probably just sit in that pool of ORM applicants who sit in the middle for top schools stat wise, so probably don't really get considered for interviews until a little later on in the cycle. Honestly, SDN has made me a little less neurotic because it seems that the people racking up interviews so far are largely either LizzyM 80+ or URM. Our interviews should come. Or, we could have glaring red flags in our apps and be ****ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
We also probably just sit in that pool of ORM applicants who sit in the middle for top schools stat wise, so probably don't really get considered for interviews until a little later on in the cycle. Honestly, SDN has made me a little less neurotic because it seems that the people racking up interviews so far are largely either LizzyM 80+ or URM. Our interviews should come. Or, we could have glaring red flags in our apps and be ****ed.
Thanks Harambe, I knew I could count on you to calm my nerves!

Reactions: 2 users

I agree with Harambe - keep your head up! This is a long process and in terms of distribution of IIs can be fairly random and seem to not make much sense from the outside. You have great stats and are probably on track to a great outcome.

+1 in relation to silence from my top schools despite being complete everywhere early July. Also ORM and also LizzyM 75. Hang tight and know you’re not alone

I agree with everyone above. I think the admissions process really picks up after Labor Day weekend, so let's all hang tight and not stress ourselves with unnecessary neuroticism!!

This used to be my dream school. This ain’t happening now though. With a LM of 67, I’ll just receive an outright rejection.

That’s what their admissions office told me. Hasn’t worked so far...

Hey all -I sent them an ITA this week and just received an interview! Unclear at this point if my ITA worked or not but definitely worth a shot. I'm URM, LM 70-75, complete early July.

II this morning! complete 7/9

Anyone heard back about student hosting yet? I've got an interview here next week and was trying not to have to pay for a hotel room in Manhattan... Filled out the request form a few weeks ago.

Anyone heard back about student hosting yet? I've got an interview here next week and was trying not to have to pay for a hotel room in Manhattan... Filled out the request form a few weeks ago.

I got an email yesterday saying they found me a host for my interview date later this month.

This would be a reasonable thing to email or call the office about.

How long do they usually take to send an II from the completion date ?

I think you’d be a sdn god If you ever figured out the right answer to this.
Not "the right answer" but a better answer than "who the hell knows":

The primary readers are strongly encouraged to read the app within 2 weeks of it being given to them. I don't recall the amount of time between "complete" and "sent to first reader" but they are sent in bunches and obviously as the number of apps submitted increases, that interval will get longer and longer until they get over the hump (which I imagine they are definitely not over yet). I also have no idea what the expected turnaround time is for the secondary readers. That's just telling you the turnaround time for an "interview immediately" person. If you get triaged below that then it depends on how highly you were rated, and how many others were rated above you, how many interview slots are left, etc.

Would an ITA for NYC schools be appropriate only if you have an interview at a New York school, or if you had plans to be in the area for other reasons?

II Just Now
Stats: 3.8/519
Complete 7/5

Feel blessed to have gotten an interview here :)

Reactions: 4 users
I have an upcoming MSTP interview in NYC on 10/12. Would it be okay to send an ITA request to Mount Sinai? I was only complete at Sinai on 9/2.

Last edited:
II Just Now
Stats: 3.8/519
Complete 7/5

Feel blessed to have gotten an interview here :)
Are you me? Same stats same complete date (and would also feel blessed to receive an invite).

Are you me? Same stats same complete date (and would also feel blessed to receive an invite).
This process has caused quite the existential crisis, so perhaps you ARE me XD

This is the most slowest thread of all on SDN lol

Reactions: 5 users
Looks like you got 2 IIs, congrats! I've been having radio silence too, when did you submit your secondaries?

Stop bumping this thread...you’re giving me anxiety about II’s being released. HAHA
You shouldn't have anxiety with schools like Icahn. Just assume that you are not going to get an II until you get one. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Stop bumping this thread...you’re giving me anxiety about II’s being released. HAHA
Just want to remind you/everyone else suffering from the anxiety of applying that this thread being bumped or any school thread for that matter doesn’t *actually* change your odds or affect you personally. Suppose 5 people has posted they got IIs here, how much would that really tell you? Probably makes your stress even worse at best.

The only thing that matters is your personal email which I’m sure you get push notifications for.

I was also super neurotic when I applied, and the only thing that saved me was designating 1 time per week max where I would check all the school specific threads that I applied to on SDN. Easier said than done, but I highly recommend leaving things out of your control, out of your head and enjoying the last year or so you have before moving on to medical school

Reactions: 3 users
There's a reason SDN stands for Super Duper Neurotic

what do you mean? what's wrong with icahn?

i think they mean its a top school thats super selective so no one should expect an II from here and be pleasantly surprised when they get one

Reactions: 6 users
Looks like you got 2 IIs, congrats! I've been having radio silence too, when did you submit your secondaries?
Both of my IIs are from Texas (I have no connections to TX). So there may very well still be a red flag on my AMCAS... I submitted my last secondary at the end of July and my first in early July (iirc, Icahn was near the beginning). I've started to take the 'assume I got rejected until I get an II' approach now so I'm not worried anymore. Now to focus on prepping for my only two IIs!

Both of my IIs are from Texas (I have no connections to TX). So there may very well still be a red flag on my AMCAS...
Unless you mean two private schools in Texas I don't see how you could get IIs as an OOS applicant while having red flags.

Both of my IIs are from Texas (I have no connections to TX). So there may very well still be a red flag on my AMCAS... I submitted my last secondary at the end of July and my first in early July (iirc, Icahn was near the beginning). I've started to take the 'assume I got rejected until I get an II' approach now so I'm not worried anymore. Now to focus on prepping for my only two IIs!

Very odd. Did you receive any rejections? Do you think it's worth for me (in a similar scenario as you) to apply to Texan schools this late? I too have no connections to them.

II received yesterday, complete date 08/13!

Reactions: 3 users
Very odd. Did you receive any rejections? Do you think it's worth for me (in a similar scenario as you) to apply to Texan schools this late? I too have no connections to them.
I received Rs from 2 AMCAS schools. Honestly, it's probably too late to submit to TMDSAS by now. They opened up a month before AMCAS did and filling it out will take a week in itself. I think UTSW and McGovern are almost full on their interview schedule also.
I had a nightmare last night that it was March and those two were the only IIs I got (not even getting an II from my state school) and I messed both up. I know I sound neurotic but I'm slowly worrying that I'll have to be a reapplicant despite having a great app (not only my opinion but others as well). I really hate this situation.

I received Rs from 2 AMCAS schools. Honestly, it's probably too late to submit to TMDSAS by now. They opened up a month before AMCAS did and filling it out will take a week in itself. I think UTSW and McGovern are almost full on their interview schedule also.
I had a nightmare last night that it was March and those two were the only IIs I got (not even getting an II from my state school) and I messed both up. I know I sound neurotic but I'm slowly worrying that I'll have to be a reapplicant despite having a great app (not only my opinion but others as well). I really hate this situation.
I think it would be really helpful to not assume you will be matriculating this cycle. If reapplying is kind of a default, you will feel better and be more motivated to improve your app. People used to say I have a great app, and here I am as a reapplicant. lol

I think it would be really helpful to not assume you will be matriculating this cycle. If reapplying is kind of a default, you will feel better and be more motivated to improve your app. People used to say I have a great app, and here I am as a reapplicant. lol
I second this very much so lol. Just believe it will all work it because it will. I hadn't planned on a year off and it was really hard to accept I wouldn't be matriculating last year but it's turning out to be a great experience and I already have 3 interviews this cycle. Schools know the process is competitive, and I don't think being a re-applicant is as much of a stigma as people think, especially if you are a strong applicant. Keep your head up and who knows you could certainly still be accepted this cycle! Hang in there :)