2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Bradenton, Florida)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since I just interviewed here, I will share my two cents. If you back track to last years thread, there are members who commented about the interview style, and its still spot on as of 2018. Keep in mind, 7,000 applicants apple to Bradenton, 700-800 are interviewed, 200 matriculate. I dont recall how many people total are accepted (probably somewhere between 300-500) nor how many are waitlisted.

The format. We start off with a CLOSED file group interview session with a total of six students and two faculty. They ask us to answer questions, but to address one another as we sit around a table rather than directly towards them. Honestly, this was great. Looking at peers was much more comfortable than being stared down by two faculty members, as I have experienced at another interview. You also get the chance to build upon each other's thoughts, and create momentum in your answers. It is important not to dominant the conversation nor interrupt. Shout out to the people who start off these discussions first, because it gives everyone else a chance to think and reflect. Avoid rambling for too long, answer the question so that there is enough time for everyone else to chime in.

Following the group interview, we sat down for a one on one interview. Again, this involved two faculty, but this time we are given a prompt and told to read it out loud. I think this was suppose to be the MMI. My faculty members were extremely kind. When I gave my answer, one of them told me about what he liked about what I said, and addressed something I had forgotten. I really appreciated the way he did this, it was in a kind manner and for the first time in an interview, I was given feedback, which allowed me to learn from the experience.

Then we met with the dean for a short period of time. Then we speak with the PBL director. We then have the entire interview group split into two groups to get a campus tour with two student ambassadors that are second years, before returning and eating lunch with the OMS-2 students. Shout out to the OMS-2 keeping it real about their experiences at LECOM and not trying to sell us on a program that might not be right for us.

Then we observe the PBL session in live action, again with OMS-2 students. I personally think that I can definitely succeed in a PBL curriculum based on my personal experience. In medical school, we end up teaching ourselves anyways, so this is nothing new to me. My concern was really two folds.

1. If you have ever taken an online class before, without a professor emphasizing and deemphasizing certain topics, it can be overwhelming. I took medical terminology online, a relatively straightforward course, but the online exams were stressful because literally anything could be on the exam. There was no one to hint or guide us that certain terms were more likely to appear and be tested, thus we had to know it all. Students, and physicians I know that graduated from LECOM, have said that they wish that the PBL curriculum would incorporate a powerpoint or outline into the program, but the philosophy at LECOM-bradenton is strictly against such, per our PBL director.

2. If you have ever taken a science lab, you know how it feels to be overwhelmed with the material, the feeling of being unprepared, and not learning a damn thing. Remember those chemistry calculations? How the hell did we get a yield of 300%? I was afraid it would be the blind leading the blind. However, the students seemed to know their stuff. I can definitely see how an extrovert, teacher, or leader can succeed in the program. And if you do not feel like you are one of those individuals, you can find an opportunity to challenge yourself and work on these skills. Everyone reads the same material, and once again, builds off each other. They all share google docs with their notes and collaborate outside the class.

I enjoyed watching the PBL session. It was collaborative, an open environment to joke, talk, and learn. I was amazed when I saw everyone open a different textbook simultaneously when they got to a point in the patient's case that they did not know the answer to, and then they started to reference certain chapters for further learning. The goal with PBL and the patient cases is NOT to reach a correct diagnosis, but to find gaps in your knowledge, and read up on it for the next session. You will not be given an outline or powerpoints that emphasize certain science topics. And you certainly will NOT have anyone hold your hand to tell you what you need to know for an exam.

Overall, I enjoyed my time at LECOM. I certainly thought about cancelling my interview invite, but I am very glad I made the trip to see the school for myself. I also thought it was interesting that the ENTIRE interview was done by Ph.D and MD physicians. Go figure.

However, what concerned me was when the director of student affairs began to talk about third and fourth year doing clinical rotations. What I took away from his discussion was, "we do not have strong hospital affiliations yet, but we predict that you will be placed in the northeast of the US." He did not name a single hospital, and described being placed anywhere at all being a "privilege" since LECOM does not pay to have students at hospitals. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

I can handle the PBL. I can handle dress attire (most schools have this, ya'll), and even not having water with me when I am outside the cafeteria. I can even walk the halls that are heavily decorated with clowns alone in the dark without wetting myself. My interview felt very low stress and casual, and I enjoyed meeting the faculty. They seemed to be sincerely nice, kind, and well spoken. But the third and fourth year made me really concerned. Also, it seemed like NOT A SINGLE STUDENT here picked LECOM Bradenton over another school. It was always the same response of, "I did not get in anywhere else, but here." Damn.

For what its worth, they talked about the high COMPLEX score (ranked #1 and #2 in the nation for highest average over the course of a decade), and the high match rate, 31% in non primary care (surgery, EM, nephro, etc....) and the rest in primary care (FM, IM, PEDs, etc), with 100% match for the last graduating year.

Also, they are offering early decision (Mid September) and normal decision (Nov 15) for when you receive an answer post interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So this is very strange.. I had received that you will find out your decision in November statement and now it says that my application has just been processed and sent to admissions committee. I thought that prior status was a denial
I applied last year and their system was very glitchy! I wouldnt take it too seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just received an II today! I was wondering if anyone knew what to do for the LOR, is having them sent via AACOMAS sufficient? Or is there a separate process you have to do specifically for LECOM? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
II today!! Very excited!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I just received an II today! I was wondering if anyone knew what to do for the LOR, is having them sent via AACOMAS sufficient? Or is there a separate process you have to do specifically for LECOM? Thanks!
Do you mind sharing your complete date?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Anyone in the Tampa region tonight? I’ll be there for my interview tomorrow and would love to meet up with some people. PM me if your interested!

I'm really confused by how they do this. I completed mine in the middle of June and still haven't heard back yet...
I'm not sure, but yeah definitely not chronological because I received my interview later than some people who submitted after me I believe. I am also IS and LizzyM 67 for some context. I'm sure you will hear back soon

Was one of the first groups to interview here and was told we'd hear back by mid September, but still nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone actually get in with a 500? I graduated w/ a 3.87, but it seems like on this thread alot of people have a much higher mcat. Of course this is a small sample size, but kinda worries me if I should even apply or retake the mcat :depressed:

Hey,

I submitted my secondary a week ago and got my interview invite today. My MCAT was sub 500. You definitely have hope!!

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a status change on the portal when your app has been reviewed? I have been complete since june 18, LizzyM 71-73 and my portal still says "your application has been received and is ready to be reviewed"

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Hey,

I submitted my secondary a week ago and got my interview invite today. My MCAT was sub 500. You definitely have hope!!
I'm really jealous and confused.... I submitted my secondary MORE THAN 3 MONTHS AGO! I still haven't heard back yet. My MCAT is pretty good, but still no word...

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted my secondary here months ago, finally "under review" lol

Anyone else interviewing on October 5? Any word on acceptances?

Interviewed 9/21/18. Just got a status update on the LECOM portal that a decision has been made

I'm in the process of applying. Is there a way to indicate I would like to go the AIS route, or will they automatically consider the better choice between AIS and MCAT? Is an AIS of 130 competitive at this school? Thanks!

I'm in the process of applying. Is there a way to indicate I would like to go the AIS route, or will they automatically consider the better choice between AIS and MCAT? Is an AIS of 130 competitive at this school? Thanks!

In the supplement there is an option for your SAT/ACT scores, and you can also indicate you want to use AIS, and a 130 is very good, so you should be in great shape! I believe that the average interviewee has something around a 112, and to put it into perspective, I spoke with admissions and they told me that my 123 AIS was very high. Good luck!

In the supplement there is an option for your SAT/ACT scores, and you can also indicate you want to use AIS, and a 130 is very good, so you should be in great shape! I believe that the average interviewee has something around a 112, and to put it into perspective, I spoke with admissions and they told me that my 123 AIS was very high. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your answer and kind words! Good luck to you as well!

+1; Interviewed 9/20

Did those of you whose status changed to "Decision has been made" opt to hear back from LECOM asap? Or did you choose to wait to hear in November?

For example, I opted to wait and hear my decision in November, and my status still says "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview."

Did those of you whose status changed to "Decision has been made" opt to hear back from LECOM asap? Or did you choose to wait to hear in November?

For example, I opted to wait and hear my decision in November, and my status still says "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview."
I opted early decision.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Any of you interviewing on Thursday worried about Hurricane Michael?

For those of you who applied to both campuses, I received a II last week for Seton Hill (which I ranked about Erie). Is this indicative that I should expect an II from Bradenton? Do they work on similar timelines, or is there no connection between when I hear from Seton Hill/Erie vs. when I hear from Bradenton? Thanks and good luck to everyone.

For those of you who applied to both campuses, I received a II last week for Seton Hill (which I ranked about Erie). Is this indicative that I should expect an II from Bradenton? Do they work on similar timelines, or is there no connection between when I hear from Seton Hill/Erie vs. when I hear from Bradenton? Thanks and good luck to everyone.
I'm pretty sure there's no connection. I submitted for both campuses mid-June. I interviewed for Bradenton in August, and I haven't heard a peep from Erie.

I'm pretty sure there's no connection. I submitted for both campuses mid-June. I interviewed for Bradenton in August, and I haven't heard a peep from Erie.

Looks like we are in opposite boats then, but good luck to you and I hope you get a favorable response from Erie.

so my application status today said "Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." Is this very different from "We have received your supplemental application. The review process will now begin. You will be notified as updates are made. Thank you."? If not, how shortly after receiving this message should I expect to hear back?

I submitted July 5ish and still nothing too

so my application status today said "Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." Is this very different from "We have received your supplemental application. The review process will now begin. You will be notified as updates are made. Thank you."? If not, how shortly after receiving this message should I expect to hear back?
I received a similar update maybe about 2 weeks ago and still nothing. I’m hoping to receive news soon.

I received a similar update maybe about 2 weeks ago and still nothing. I’m hoping to receive news soon.

So, to answer a couple of questions, I submitted both in June. I had an interview at Erie back in August. The schools have nothing the same to do with time. I still have the "application is under review" for Bradenton and it's been like that for about 3 months now, so we'll see. It can stay like that for a week or 2 or three months. It just depends on the person I guess

For the option of waiting until November for decision.. when in November is that? Is it through email or mail?

This is the same scenario for me.

Does anyone have any insight into those who opted for the regular decision (middle of Nov) will hear any earlier? Or do they send out mass notifications around that date? Getting a little antsy!

Another question: does anyone know if there is a time limit on scheduling an interview once invited? I know that the earliest you can interview the better. However, I am just asking in strategy of finances.

If anyone (female or male) know they will be attending here, message me and maybe we can try and do housing together:)

Edit: added males

Last edited: