2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received this email two hours ago

During our screening, your clear preparation for medical school, for which I congratulate you, was observed. However, your overall application is slightly less competitive than some other applicants, but the committee is still interested in your candidacy. As such, your application is on hold. The committee will review your application again in approximately 3 - 4 weeks, if not sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

During our screening, your clear preparation for medical school, for which I congratulate you, was observed. However, your overall application is slightly less competitive than some other applicants, but the committee is still interested in your candidacy. As such, your application is on hold. The committee will review your application again in approximately 3 - 4 weeks, if not sooner.
It’s better than a rejection. Hopefully you’ll get that II eventually. What is your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean your stats are pretty good. How are your ECs and work experience?
300+ hours nonclinical volunteer
Over 3 years clinical work experience
100+ hours shadowing a D.O. family Medicine doc (with a letter from him/her)

Omg that’s good stats u have! Makes me feel less hopeful now. :/

Omg that’s good stats u have! Makes me feel less hopeful now. :/
Stay strong, Takeshiwarrior! The school is truly holistic in their review process. You just might have something they are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any idea how their interviews are?

I know its MMI, but any more specifics?

II invite today ladies and gents. Complete email received 7/26. Looks like earliest available in mid/late October. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I received the same email yesterday. Considering my 503 mcat, I'm not sure how you are also considered "less competitive"

I received the same email yesterday. Considering my 503 mcat, I'm not sure how you are also considered "less competitive"
The honest truth is - no one knows, maybe they currently have candidates with higher GPAs. I may be wrong about this but from my communication with the faculty, I understand that MU-COM looks closely at GPAs, especially the last 120 hours, science classes and grades achieved in the required prerequisite classes. The good news is, you guys have not been rejected yet, so stay hopeful!

The honest truth is - no one knows, maybe they currently have candidates with higher GPAs. I may be wrong about this but from my communication with the faculty, I understand that MU-COM looks closely at GPAs, especially the last 120 hours, science classes and grades achieved in the required prerequisite classes. The good news is, you guys have not been rejected yet, so stay hopeful!

Yeah im in good spirits still!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got the email saying my application is on hold right now. Hopefully hear some good news later!

II invite today ladies and gents. Complete email received 7/26. Looks like earliest available in mid/late October. Good luck to everyone!

Holy crap slots for all of September are already filled up? Just last week there were slots for 1st week of September available? Time is truly of the essence...

I submitted my secondary on 8/8 and still no confirmation. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Woke up this morning to an II! :) I submitted 7/28 but wasn't marked complete until 8/15. First available interview date was about mid-October. I'm IS, LizzyM 68

Oh no I did. I meant a confirmation of completion.
Yeah I didn't get one either but was only complete yesterday, so maybe it'll come later.

Update: Got the complete e-mail today (08/27).

Last edited:
I’ve been complete since 7/26 and haven’t heard anything yet

I’ve been complete since 7/26 and haven’t heard anything yet
Hi @Jwain ,
Not sure if you got the "complete" e-mail or not but it says the review process takes at least 4 weeks, possibly longer. During my visit to the campus, I was told the admissions committee comprise of volunteer faculty members and administrative staffs. They are probably just busy with other university duties and haven't had the time to review apps. When they review apps, they take their time to go through every part of the applicant's file rather than just stats (MCAT/GPA). So, depending on how many applications the admissions committee member has to go through, it could definitely take weeks. Stay strong, cross your fingers and pray!

II this morning!! SO EXCITED. It's going to be hard to wait until the end of October!

II sent 08/23! Lookin' at an early November date! I'll be showing up on Friday mornin', plan on trippin' around Indianapolis, maybe prep a bit, then gunna grind on Saturday! If I see y'all out there, i'll buy ya drinks! woop woop!

On week 5 of being complete.. one of my top choice schools.... please Marian :(:(:arghh:

So I know that September 29 is when EDP students get their decisions, but what about regular admissions? When would be the earliest we find out?

I'm still finding out more about the school, but what is it about the school that you're liking? :) I hope you get an ii

I've heard really good things about the school doing a good job and what not and from the little data available, they've had good up trends in their scores, especially their most recent step 1. I really like though that they focus on the underserved but in a larger setting. I want to practice on the underserved but I want to work/live in a larger city and a lot of the DO schools I applied to for mission fit are in a small town or rural setting, and while I wouldn't really mind it, i'm much more of a bigger city person.
Also, thanks! You too!

Same! What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Any advice for interviews at Marian?
Its MMI so not sure what to expect

How is the MMI? Never had an experience with it

Whatever you find on other resources was it what it was. No trick questions or anything unexpected. Felt like it really gives you a chance to show your true self etc.

How is the MMI? Never had an experience with it

Without getting into the specifics (because of confidentiality), MMI isn't something you can 100% perfectly prepare for. This just goes for any interview with MMI format, not just Marian. It's not your traditional "Why medicine" or "What did you do in undergrad" kind of questions, it's a lot more to do with how you would respond in a real-life scenario or your thoughts on a relevant pressing issue (basically open-ended questions that are far beyond and unrelated to your application). It gauges your personality to a certain extent (and how it matches to being a doctor).

In terms of preparation, what I would recommend (but this is just me) is to read up on recent news articles. Literally anything. Mostly health-related/science/healthcare/medicine news. Doing this will not only give you more awareness about current events related to medicine, but also gives at least somewhat of an impression that you are genuinely active in learning more about medicine and molding your mature perspectives on controversial issues. Also, it gives a lot more room and composure for you to synthesize a good response to unexpected questions when you least expect it.

That being said, I recently had my interview at Marian, and it was fantastic. The overall vibe was awesome, and the staff/students were great.

I got put on the wait list for an interview. Does anyone know if that is a silent rejection or if there is a chance that people get off the wait list?

I got put on the wait list for an interview. Does anyone know if that is a silent rejection or if there is a chance that people get off the wait list?
I’m not sure but it is better than an out right rejection. Mind if I ask when were you complete?

I am sorry, but going through last year's forum it looks like the committee did give any wait list acceptances until May 1st/2nd. While this isn't a silent rejection, it definitely still suck because its pretty late. Did you receive the wait list notification by email?

I am sorry, but going through last year's forum it looks like the committee did give any wait list acceptances until May 1st/2nd. While this isn't a silent rejection, it definitely still suck because its pretty late. Did you receive the wait list notification by email?
I also got the interview wait list email and in that email it said they would get back to us within 3-4 weeks if we get an interview. For me it's almost been 4 weeks so I'm anxiously waiting to hear back...

I also got the interview wait list email and in that email it said they would get back to us within 3-4 weeks if we get an interview. For me it's almost been 4 weeks so I'm anxiously waiting to hear back...
What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

Just got the ACCEPTANCE call!!!

Literally just called me!!! Amazing, this is #2 in 2 days!

I interviewed on 9/8/18

Out of state, 3.9+, 509

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the ACCEPTANCE call!!!

Literally just called me!!! Amazing, this is #2 in 2 days!

I interviewed on 9/8/18

Congrats! I also interviewed 9/8 but got an email saying the committee didn’t review my application this week so hoping for some good news next committee meeting

Rejection Today!

Reactions: 3 users
Marked complete on 7/26
Placed on pre-interview hold on 8/20
II today (earliest available dates Nov 10th and 30th)

For those of you who have interviewed already and entered from northwest, do we have to follow the instructions about road closings? Can we just enter the address they gave us and we’ll be fine?