2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably, but looking through this thread it seems like they're filled to the brim with interviews and having a wait list for interviews so not sure why any school would send an automated email like that. I'm probably just looking into this too much

$$$ from the secondary haha

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdrew my application & interview here. Hope one of you wonderful people get it :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my II invitation today!

However, when I logged in via the portal to schedule the interview, there were no available dates? I followed up with the appropriate person via e-mail (they provided this info in the interview invitation e-mail), but does anybody know whether this is something via the portal malfunctioning/a technical issue, or whether all of the interview spots for the entire year are somehow full now? Hope it's the former obviously! Thanks!
They said they were going to add more but it seems like they're all full through December. If you email and ask, they will email you when a spot opens up! I'm in the same boat.

They only offer a certain amount of interview spots for both the fall and spring semester, so you'll most likely be interviewing in the spring if there weren't anymore available spots

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone speak more about the interview day and the MMI? Generally, I've seen MMI are 5 minutes with multiple stations, so I'm a little unsure of what to expect. I've been practice with sample MMI questions online, reading healthcare policy news, etc. Also, does anyone who has interview recommend any nearby hotels?

Your interview day will be an orientation, and then depending on your group you will start with a tour, a Q&A session, or the interviews. There are two MMI stations, ten minutes each not including the two you are given to read the question, and a 24 minute verbal interview that is more like a traditional interview. I believe this is all in the interview overview on your portal and they did not say we couldn’t give you the general details. I can’t tell you any of the content, of course, but I can say everyone was incredibly kind and your stress level shouldn’t be too high at all.

I submitted the secondary on 7/1/2018 and was marked complete, however they just checked off my physician LOR 2 weeks ago...I had 2 physicians write me a letter, but I believe they just accidentally overlooked it. Any suggestions as to where to go from here, and if this last submission really hurt my chances? Thank you!

I submitted the secondary on 7/1/2018 and was marked complete, however they just checked off my physician LOR 2 weeks ago...I had 2 physicians write me a letter, but I believe they just accidentally overlooked it. Any suggestions as to where to go from here, and if this last submission really hurt my chances? Thank you!
Not a deal breaker. I had a similar issue and when I reached out to one of the admissions staff, he told me it doesn't affect my app as long as its a good letter and meets their standards. Reach out to the admissions office.

Not a deal breaker. I had a similar issue and when I reached out to one of the admissions staff, he told me it doesn't affect my app as long as its a good letter and meets their standards. Reach out to the admissions office.
I will do that. They were incredibly nice on the phone and she checked me complete as I was talking to her. She apologized because it was overlooked. Thank you!

Has anyone received an interview here with a sub 500 Mcat score ?

does anyone if the school does rolling rejection? I got an email on 9/12 saying that my app is completed and it normally takes 4 weeks after that for them to make a decesion but I havent heard anything else from them.

Anyone willing to look over my secondary essays? It would be helpful if you received an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
II! No available dates showed up on my portal tho. I have to be added on the ASAP list. Best of luck to everyone!

It's kind of annoying but if you keep checking a few times a day, they will pop up. I was originally going to have to wait until they put more up in the spring, but one opened up in November that I was able to snatch up.

Rejected from the pre-interview hold, today. s/c gpa 3.0 - 3.1 with a big upward trend, mcat 510-514, strong experiential. Bit of a bummer, good luck to everyone!

Got an email today stating that I'm on the interview waitlist. Probably one of the nicest emails I've ever received from a school.

Hey guys. I had a lot of things come up this cycle and I finished my primary pretty late. I am just wondering if you guys think it is still worth it for me to apply. Michigan resident 501 MCAT 3.7 GPA worked as a scribe, pharmacy tech, lab tech, clinical research associate, a lot of volunteer hours, and more. I would really appreciate your input. Do I have a chance? and are there any osteopathic schools you would recommend me to apply to? Thank you

Interviewed here Oct. 19th!
Anyone from this date here back yet? The wait is killing me haha

Hey guys. I had a lot of things come up this cycle and I finished my primary pretty late. I am just wondering if you guys think it is still worth it for me to apply. Michigan resident 501 MCAT 3.7 GPA worked as a scribe, pharmacy tech, lab tech, clinical research associate, a lot of volunteer hours, and more. I would really appreciate your input. Do I have a chance? and are there any osteopathic schools you would recommend me to apply to? Thank you

You might as well though they are a rolling admissions school, so you would have had an advantage if you had applied earlier.

I got an II today and I signed up for a january interview because that was the first date opened.. but I see students signed up for a waitlist.. wondering if I should have done that.

I got an II today and I signed up for a january interview because that was the first date opened.. but I see students signed up for a waitlist.. wondering if I should have done that.
Congrats on the interview! Would you mind sharing your stats please ?

After I signed up for the waitlist, they told us they opened up more interview time in an email. I ended up signing up for a January interview and asked them to be taken off the waitlist.

could anyone see the friday O and M schedule? i tried the link but the pdf didnt load any image

I submitted my secondary on 8/27. Just got a complete email yesterday. We will see how this goes.

Hi, I submitted at the same time and also received the complete on Oct 4. I was just wondering if you had heard back from them yet? Thanks

In scheduled to interview here this month. Would it be horrible to reschedule? I just don’t have the funds to travel to another out of state interview this month.

In scheduled to interview here this month. Would it be horrible to reschedule? I just don’t have the funds to travel to another out of state interview this month.
i am in the exact same boat. but i'm torn because of the whole rolling admissions thing. like i barely have the money to be booking flights right now for interviews but also don't want to give up an earlier interview slot. and this stress is all over money :((((( where's the money trees

Hi, I submitted at the same time and also received the complete on Oct 4. I was just wondering if you had heard back from them yet? Thanks

Nope. I am not sure when I will. I have not heard back from the 18 schools applied to. Not even a "No".

You have similar credentials to me and I submitted my app in early September. Got my II today, so there is hope for you! Worth a shot.

Nope. I am not sure when I will. I have not heard back from the 18 schools applied to. Not even a "No".

I'm getting nervous about that as well, I've only heard from one. I reload my e-mail at least every 5 minutes...My MCAT wasn't very good, I'm trying not to stress out. Good luck, I hope we both hear from schools soon. Would you let me know when you hear from them? I want to know if I'm being skipped or something, I'll let you know if I get a response or anything.

Interviewed 10/26, thought I botched the interview because I accidentally cussed lol. But accepted this morning! This is my first choice DO school, so I'm super stoked!

i am in the exact same boat. but i'm torn because of the whole rolling admissions thing. like i barely have the money to be booking flights right now for interviews but also don't want to give up an earlier interview slot. and this stress is all over money :((((( where's the money trees

I ended up rescheduling to early next year. Definitely not ideal but there was no way I was going to be able to pull it together in a week.

Current student here and Michigan resident too - I applied in december and got an interview so it’s never too late! :)

I ended up rescheduling to early next year. Definitely not ideal but there was no way I was going to be able to pull it together in a week.
same here- scheduled in January. I think we'll be ok with january dates

Can anyone tell me about the diversity of the student body here?

Current OMS-II here, any particular information you’re looking for? I can say “yes we have diversity” but I don’t think that’s particularly useful.

I have an interview coming up here next week, but I've been fortunate enough to get accepted to a couple other places I think I'd be happy at. I'm trying to save some money and decide if it's worth it to come still. Can any current students shed some light on the strength of clinical years here?

Can any current students shed some light on the strength of clinical years here?
I am actually interested in this too. I am not too worried about the first 2 years, because studying for boards is ultimately on you, but am concerned about the quality of rotations.

I am an in-state resident, and also have interviews at other places. Would a more established school be better to go to even if their rotations have more away rotations, than Marian?

Number of students that are IS, OOS, racial groups, etc

Per the class profile sheet that MUCOM publishes, about half (55%) the class is IS. 30% are considered from diverse backgrounds with 12% being considered underrepresented in medicine. —from class of 2021

As far as racial groups, I think we have a little bit of everything. We are LGBTQ friendly (or at least getting better), and it is part of our curriculum. We have a number of student interest groups with different affiliated backgrounds and religions.

Hopefully this helps a little.

I am actually interested in this too. I am not too worried about the first 2 years, because studying for boards is ultimately on you, but am concerned about the quality of rotations.

I am an in-state resident, and also have interviews at other places. Would a more established school be better to go to even if their rotations have more away rotations, than Marian?
I'm also thinking the same about the more established schools. I was lucky and got the call from KCOM this week. Marian seems great but it's just so new. I know they probably have some good things with the hospitals up there just not sure it's worth it at this point for me.

Per the class profile sheet that MUCOM publishes, about half (55%) the class is IS. 30% are considered from diverse backgrounds with 12% being considered underrepresented in medicine. —from class of 2021

As far as racial groups, I think we have a little bit of everything. We are LGBTQ friendly (or at least getting better), and it is part of our curriculum. We have a number of student interest groups with different affiliated backgrounds and religions.

Hopefully this helps a little.
It does! Thanks!!

Number of students that are IS, OOS, racial groups, etc

If you want exact numbers and percentages, attached screenshots shows what is reported by AACOM (found in the osteopathic medicine college information book). :)

Attachments

• 723941C1-9851-48E5-B58C-8AE11A62660C.png
    723941C1-9851-48E5-B58C-8AE11A62660C.png
    613.9 KB · Views: 110
  • C75E2FB9-B292-4460-A7E2-CDE1B877203C.png
    C75E2FB9-B292-4460-A7E2-CDE1B877203C.png
    403.9 KB · Views: 109
I have an interview coming up here next week, but I've been fortunate enough to get accepted to a couple other places I think I'd be happy at. I'm trying to save some money and decide if it's worth it to come still. Can any current students shed some light on the strength of clinical years here?

This is more difficult to comment on, as someone who hasn't begun rotations yet. I think looking on MUCOM's website will give you a good idea of the hospitals we're paired with in the area and the state. The big two in Indianapolis are St. Vincent's and Community. The only impression I've heard thus far is that at the big hospitals you get to see more, but at the smaller hospitals you get to do more. 3rd year they try to keep you within an hour of the school while 4th year is mostly electives so it will vary more.

As far as whether it's worth it for an interview, that is entirely up to you--my bias is that it is worth it.:D However, questions about rotations might be better answered via email from faculty and staff and/or at an interview.

This is a difficult question to answer as it can vary. You could end up somewhere that gives you a ton of autonomy and lets you do as much as you feel comfortable doing, or you could end up somewhere that just has you shadow the whole time. Overall the clinical sites are pretty solid though. The school has some "unique" things during the clinical years (e.g. June off for colloquiums, a 3rd month of surgery, a primary care selective) which can be a little frustrating depending on what specialty you want to pursue.

My application is incomplete because of my LORs. Should I be concerned if it says this? I submitted my LORs late May but my secondary 11/1. Will it take 2-3 weeks for them to process it?

Science: Incomplete
Advisor: Incomplete
Physician: Incomplete
Application Complete
icon_incomplete.gif
Incomplete