2018-2019 Meharry Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Declined my interview invite today. I believe the date available was for Feb. 25th. I hope it goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
M1 here at Meharry, just out of curiosity for those who already interviewed, did Meharry mention anything about your curriculum and something called Heath Coaching?

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember correctly they did mention something about pairing us up with an MS2 for mentoring. But I don´t remember them giving a lot of details about it. Is that what you mean?

Not that I remember... What is Health Coaching?
It's a certification they are forcing us into. During the 6-week summer program we did majority Heath Coaching with very little science. We were hoping they had forgotten about it since it's been 7-months since we last used it but they are bringing it back full-swing and it's complete trash.

It's a certification they are forcing us into. During the 6-week summer program we did majority Heath Coaching with very little science. We were hoping they had forgotten about it since it's been 7-months since we last used it but they are bringing it back full-swing and it's complete trash.

Well I was wayy off on that one.

DO NOT GO THROUGH THE INTERVIEW PROCESS WITHOUT THEM EXPLAINING "HEALTH COACHING" TO YOU!!!

Originally, Meharry was working with Vanderbilt to do the health coaching program. However, Vandy's medical students are not doing it. I wonder why that is? And eventually Vanderbilt dropped out of the program. Again, I wonder why?

This school seems more interested in producing health coaches and community workers than competent doctors. You will spend an absurd amount of time studying and doing busy work for material that won't help you on step.

DO NOT GO THROUGH THE INTERVIEW PROCESS WITHOUT THEM EXPLAINING "HEALTH COACHING" TO YOU!!!

Originally, Meharry was working with Vanderbilt to do the health coaching program. However, Vandy's medical students are not doing it. I wonder why that is? And eventually Vanderbilt dropped out of the program. Again, I wonder why?

This school seems more interested in producing health coaches and community workers than competent doctors. You will spend an absurd amount of time studying and doing busy work for material that won't help you on step.

Do you go to Meharry? If so what are the pros and cons

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I remember seeing something about that on their website, but I thought there was a separate application process to participate in the Health Coaching program. Are they making it mandatory now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember seeing something about that on their website, but I thought there was a separate application process to participate in the Health Coaching program. Are they making it mandatory now?
Yep, it's been mandatory since June 2018.

cons:
-I can't post about it. Pellucidity will not be found here.
If word really got out about what goes on here the accreditation of this place would have to be discussed.
- I cannot say if it is intentionally or if it is just carelessness, but a lot of things go on here that you just would not expect from a higher learning institution.
- The quality of the facilities & education that you will receive are not worth $90,000 per year. To be frank, it should be more around 30-50k.
- The new curriculum that they have is filled with pot holes. For example health coaching. I cannot believe they aren't telling you about it during the interviews.
- You will have a lot of study time stripped from you to focus on things that do not help you for step. If you are coming here thinking you will get to spend all your time studying medicine, you gravely are mistaken.
- If you have another MD acceptance, I advise you to take it. If not, good luck.

Pros:
- Its a medical school
- Hospital connected to the school.
- You and your classmates will connect well. You won't get any of that cut throat behavior or bad competitiveness at this school.
We all band together by talking about the amount of hurdles, traps and flat out schemes that Meharry puts us through daily, which brings us all together.
- Food is not bad on campus and there are lots of places to eat around Nashville.
- the simulation lab at this school is really good.
- About 5 of the professors here are really good. Those few professors are carrying the entire curriculum on their back.
- Nashville isn't a bad place to live. I enjoy the city life here.

I will give you just an smidgen of what goes on here.
Just this morning, we had an huge problem with testing.
- 1/3 of the questions were based on material the professors did not cover. You could have the professor's lectures in front of you for the exam and it would not have helped in any fashion.
- multiple questions keyed wrong or missing information. Some of the questions stems where just statements with no questions.
- half the class thought the test was 2 hours cause they were trusting enough to listen to the email that the faculty sent out that said the test was from 8-10am.
- the testing software did not have a timer on it. Lot of people started late cause of problems with the testing center or for not being given working equipment.
Those people who started late, did not get extra time or regular time. They got kicked off the computer at the same time as everyone else.
- The exam proctors did not tell us how much test time we had before we started. So a lot of people just assumed the 8-10am email was correct. (WRONG)
- The confusion was so bad, that one of the faculty members ended up having a yelling match with students in the hallway while the test was still going on.
- These are the events of an exam that is worth about 1/3 of our grade in this class.

And this kind of thing happens quite often.

That’s really unfortunate. Good luck everyone. This school is no longer my number 1.

cons:
If word really got out about what goes on here the accreditation of this place would have to be discussed.
- I cannot say if it is intentionally or if it is just carelessness, but a lot of things go on here that you just would not expect from a higher learning institution.
- The quality of the facilities & education that you will receive are not worth $90,000 per year. To be frank, it should be more around 30-50k.
- The new curriculum that they have is filled with pot holes. For example health coaching. I cannot believe they aren't telling you about it during the interviews.
- You will have a lot of study time stripped from you to focus on things that do not help you for step. If you are coming here thinking you will get to spend all your time studying medicine, you gravely are mistaken.
- If you have another MD acceptance, I advise you to take it. If not, good luck.

Pros:
- Its a medical school
- You and your classmates will connect well. You won't get any of that cut throat behavior or bad competitiveness at this school.
We all band together by talking about the amount of hurdles, traps and flat out schemes that Meharry puts us through daily, which brings us all together.
- Food is not bad on campus and there are lots of places to eat around Nashville.
- About 5 of the professors here are really good. Those few professors are carrying the entire curriculum on their back.

- 1/3 of the questions were based on material the professors did not cover. You could have the professor's lectures in front of you for the exam and it would not have helped in any fashion.
- multiple questions keyed wrong or missing information. Some of the questions stems where just statements with no questions.
- half the class thought the test was 2 hours cause they were trusting enough to listen to the email that the faculty sent out that said the test was from 8-10am.
- the testing software did not have a timer on it. Lot of people started late cause of problems with the testing center or for not being given working equipment.
Those people who started late, did not get extra time or regular time. They got kicked off the computer at the same time as everyone else.
- The exam proctors did not tell us how much test time we had before we started. So a lot of people just assumed the 8-10am email was correct. (WRONG)
- The confusion was so bad, that one of the faculty members ended up having a yelling match with students in the hallway while the test was still going on.
- These are the events of an exam that is worth about 1/3 of our grade in this class.

Oh.... my goodness.... :(
Like med school isn't stressful enough -- I can only imagine what this would be like

I am probably not applying to this school. Considering they do the video interview thing for the secondary I am not going through it.

I am probably not applying to this school. Considering they do the video interview thing for the secondary I am not going through it.

You can add it to your primary application list. Some people got interviews without submitting a secondary this cycle.

You can add it to your primary application list. Some people got interviews without submitting a secondary this cycle.
Ok that makes it a bit better then. The video thing turned me off and combined with the health coaching thing took me over the edge but if that's the case I will through in my primary and see what happens.

cons:

Pros:
- Its a medical school

While I am not a Meharry student, I lived on campus with my partner who was a student and he would agree with all of this. They definitely had similar issues when he was there and most of the student body was upset with the school for their shortcomings/attempt to micromanage which got in the way most of the time. It’s better than not getting into any MD school, but the mandatory attendance and Kaplan courses + other required stuff took A LOT of time away from much needed studying. Again, I might have been just seeing all the negatives because that’s what you usually talk about, but consider the curriculum of other schools when thinking about which school to go to. The comraderie of the students and the city of Nashville are pretty strong pros but the school itself is mostly a headache.

Reactions: 2 users
Might not apply to this school tbh. IDK it was already at the bottom of my list

What do they expect you guys to do if you don’t pass step?

Retake step, and then they usually try to get their students into Meharry residencies.

Edited to say: there were people getting held back because of STEP, but at the same time there were others who matched into programs at Stanford, Cali residencies, Yale, Cleveland clinic, ortho and urology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am a current M1 at Meharry Medical College and I want to speak on what is being said about my institution.
1. I had other opportunities to go places before coming to Meharry and I chose to come here because their vision is one that is unique to my own and that is to sever the under served population. Its easy to get an MD go to residency and try to make as much money as you can but that is not what I want I want to honestly help and serve people who no one else to serve and Meharry is helping me accomplish that.
2. Yes we have a mandate from administration to do Health Coaching but you know what it something that is brand new...so yeah things are not perfect but neither was Thomas Edison's first invention or Abraham Lincoln's first campaign but they figured it out. Health coaching is something that Meharry is trying because they are looking into the future of medicine and believe this can help. I don't know about y'll but I am excited to try and get ahead of the curve.
3. Its common sense that problems occur every where you go no matter the institution. So not applying to Meharry because one person in one class isn't happy would be foolish. There are plenty of great things here at this Medical School and I would be happy to talk to anyone who wants to talk about them at anytime.
So for those in this thread listening to this so called DeaTruth I would encourage to find other people here at Meharry and get their perspective too because from where I'm sitting it is a pretty great place and I am blessed to be here and truly keep growing and learning about the skills and art to becoming a medical professional at Meharry Medical College.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey so Meharry is a great institution. As both a professional fashion model and medical student I know that the new change of curriculum will help every student pass the board. We take practice NBME board certified questions (100 qs) per block. Coming into Meharry I did terrible on my MCAT but thanks to Meharry I am scoring in the 83rd percentile on these exams that are provided by the USMLE board. We get clinical experience way earlier than other schools and have free time to study since class ends at 12. Granted health coaching is not one of my preferred tasks to complete, you will be board certified and be able to implement it into your practice by being able to charge $100+ per session in addition to what you make on an average visit. Also it is official accredited certification from Vanderbilt (so yay more competitiveness for your application). Yes we do occasionally have problems with testing but that's because we switched testing software as of last month and some people did not complete the instructions emailed to us. The professors make adjustments for it in our overall grade if there is technological malfunction. Also we are one of the few medical colleges that still do the letter system and while Meharrians complain about it, its better for residency because we aren't ranked but rather placed into percentiles unlike other schools.If you have questions about the school feel free to contact me. Best of luck on your medical school journey

Reactions: 8 users
Hey so Meharry is a great institution. As both a professional fashion model and medical student I know that the new change of curriculum will help every student pass the board. We take practice NBME board certified questions (100 qs) per block. Coming into Meharry I did terrible on my MCAT but thanks to Meharry I am scoring in the 83rd percentile on these exams that are provided by the USMLE board. We get clinical experience way earlier than other schools and have free time to study since class ends at 12. Granted health coaching is not one of my preferred tasks to complete, you will be board certified and be able to implement it into your practice by being able to charge $100+ per session in addition to what you make on an average visit. Also it is official accredited certification from Vanderbilt (so yay more competitiveness for your application). Yes we do occasionally have problems with testing but that's because we switched testing software as of last month and some people did not complete the instructions emailed to us. The professors make adjustments for it in our overall grade if there is technological malfunction. Also we are one of the few medical colleges that still do the letter system and while Meharrians complain about it, its better for residency because we aren't ranked but rather placed into percentiles unlike other schools.If you have questions about the school feel free to contact me. Best of luck on your medical school journey

Do you have an email we can reach you at? I tried messaging you but it did not work

I am a current M1 at Meharry Medical College and I want to speak on what is being said about my institution.
1. I had other opportunities to go places before coming to Meharry and I chose to come here because their vision is one that is unique to my own and that is to sever the under served population. Its easy to get an MD go to residency and try to make as much money as you can but that is not what I want I want to honestly help and serve people who no one else to serve and Meharry is helping me accomplish that.
2. Yes we have a mandate from administration to do Health Coaching but you know what it something that is brand new...so yeah things are not perfect but neither was Thomas Edison's first invention or Abraham Lincoln's first campaign but they figured it out. Health coaching is something that Meharry is trying because they are looking into the future of medicine and believe this can help. I don't know about y'll but I am excited to try and get ahead of the curve.
3. Its common sense that problems occur every where you go no matter the institution. So not applying to Meharry because one person in one class isn't happy would be foolish. There are plenty of great things here at this Medical School and I would be happy to talk to anyone who wants to talk about them at anytime.
So for those in this thread listening to this so called DeaTruth I would encourage to find other people here at Meharry and get their perspective too because from where I'm sitting it is a pretty great place and I am blessed to be here and truly keep growing and learning about the skills and art to becoming a medical professional at Meharry Medical College.
I appreciate this insight about Meharry! I always hear people bashing the school online but their mission seems to align with my future goals.. i would love to hear more good things about the school if any other students have any input.

Also.. how do students feel about their M3 rotations? Are they actually learning? My interview day we only got to talk to M1s..

I appreciate this insight about Meharry! I always hear people bashing the school online but their mission seems to align with my future goals.. i would love to hear more good things about the school if any other students have any input.

Also.. how do students feel about their M3 rotations? Are they actually learning? My interview day we only got to talk to M1s..

I am happy to hear that! As an African American male I never really was afforded the chance to interact with physicians that looked like me and so one of my goals was to become a doctor and help change that. Meharry agrees with me on this and so I'm gratelful to be here because not every medical school feels the same way...It really just depends on the day you interview. I believe on my interview day I got to interact with M2s. But as far as M3s concern I am not 100 percent sure how they feel outside my interaction with them which is general positive. Mostly because they were tired of being in lecture all the time and your third year you finally are like really in the clinics. They also do have some away rotations like at Detroit and UAB which are good networking opportunities. Essentially med school is like life its what you make it to be.

We start our rotations in a year. But from the upper classmen they really liked it and found it to be super insightful. im studying for midterms rn so if I dont reply thats why

So, I got an II today but I never finished the secondary. I'm OOS so I'm wondering if it's worth the trip. I like what I've read about Meharry but I thought it odd to be invited this late and with no secondary. URM

Sent from my SM-J700T using SDN mobile

So, I got an II today but I never finished the secondary. I'm OOS so I'm wondering if it's worth the trip. I like what I've read about Meharry but I thought it odd to be invited this late and with no secondary. URM

I interviewed a couple weeks ago and was accepted. They said the class was about half full so I don't think you will be interviewing for the waitlist. I'm also OOS. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed a couple weeks ago and was accepted. They said the class was about half full so I don't think you will be interviewing for the waitlist. I'm also OOS. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
+1

Good luck!
Thanks! I've scheduled for March 4th

Good luck!
How long did it take for them to tell you you were accepted and how did they notify you?

It took them a little over 2 weeks to notify me and it was via email. The email they send out tells you to go to the portal for your admissions decision. Hope that helps!

It took them a little over 2 weeks to notify me and it was via email. The email they send out tells you to go to the portal for your admissions decision. Hope that helps!
That does. My AMCAS address is no good so I started to worry. Thanks!

Mannn, I've heard so many bad things about Meharry on this forum. Definitely is eye opening. Not even sure what to think. I applied and haven't heard back yet. Honestly, not even sure if thats a bad thing since I have a couple other IIs :rolleyes:

Mannn, I've heard so many bad things about Meharry on this forum. Definitely is eye opening. Not even sure what to think. I applied and haven't heard back yet. Honestly, not even sure if thats a bad thing since I have a couple other IIs :rolleyes:
It is definitely interesting and these are things that should be taken into consideration I suppose.

But I also did an SMP at another medical school(not going to say which one) and I heard the exact same complaints from some classmates and first year medical students. Things like a couple issues with the exam software, material not being covered, class/school mandated projects taking time away from studying etc. etc.

From that experience, it leads me to think that either the school I did the SMP at was terrible also, or some students just like to complain. Maybe it's both, I'm not sure. My point is it's tough to know if this is something coming from the pack or a few students that may not be doing as well as they expected.

I am extremely grateful and fortunate to have acceptances at other places, but I am striving to do my due diligence and reach out to as many students as I can and then make a decision about this school and I think others should do the same. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
It is definitely interesting and these are things that should be taken into consideration I suppose.

But I also did an SMP at another medical school(not going to say which one) and I heard the exact same complaints from some classmates and first year medical students. Things like a couple issues with the exam software, material not being covered, class/school mandated projects taking time away from studying ect. ect.

From that experience, it leads me to think that either the school I did the SMP at was terrible also, or some students just like to complain. Maybe it's both, I'm not sure. My point is it's tough to know if this is something coming from the pack or a few students that may not be doing as well as they expected.

I am extremely grateful and fortunate to have acceptances at other places, but I am striving to do my due diligence and reach out to as many students as I can and then make a decision about this school and I think others should do the same. That's just my opinion.

I agree. I think it’s best if we all try and reach out to different students via Instagram or other social media outlets and report what we find. That way we can see if it’s a universal thing or just those few students. @Dr.Basketball Please let us know what school you decide to go to. I’m so excited for you!

That does. My AMCAS address is no good so I started to worry. Thanks!

You should update your address on AMCAS.

Probably best not to dwell too much at the moment unless you have an acceptance you’d pick over Meharry. I think I’ll browse the Meharry threads for the last several years before deciding what to make of what’s on this thread. Gotta be good and bad at every school I’m sure.

Check your spam folders! I interviewed 1/7 and got accepted 1/11 and just found out smh yay to the acceptance though

Reactions: 8 users
For those of you who have interviewed here, do they ask a lot of ethical and Obama care related questions?

For those of you who have interviewed here, do they ask a lot of ethical and Obama care related questions?
Not in my experience. More of a conversation which some questions fit in

Thank you very much! Is their interview open file?
Yes it is. They have written notes and know your personal statement and everything else you included in your application. This includes MCAT scores etc. They really just want to discuss you further to confirm or deny you are the person your represented in your application. It really wasn't bad at all. To be honest none of my medical school interviews have been bad at all.

I agree. I think it’s best if we all try and reach out to different students via Instagram or other social media outlets and report what we find. That way we can see if it’s a universal thing or just those few students. @Dr.Basketball Please let us know what school you decide to go to. I’m so excited for you!
Thank you! I will do that.