2018-2019 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine NYIT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
508, sGPA 3.33, cGPA 3.74, IS

I was complete in early July and got the interview invite in early August.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No response yet from these guys :alien:

Can't expect much with 90% in state when I'm OOS

Just the usual advice..make sure you know your application really well and do research on the school beforehand. I would also come up with a solid list of questions (not just for the sake of asking but to actually get to know more about the school to help you make a decision if you receive multiple acceptances). I wish I asked them more about their clinical education/clerkships in 3rd year. Have answers and examples prepared for common interview questions.

Also make sure you get some sleep the night before or it could really mess you up for interview day.

Interview was traditional one-on-one, open file. Your interviewer may or may not be a physician, could be faculty w/ a PhD so be prepared to ask more broad questions.

Overall, a very low stress 20-30 minute interview.
Its a 1-on-1 that last about 30 minutes. It was chill and conversational - just know the typical why DO, why NYIT, and prepare some answers to standard secondary questions - how to handle stress, conflict, etc

Thank you so much guys!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing in Jonesboro on 10/20. Anyone who's been accepted there have any interview tips?

Interviewing in Jonesboro on 10/20. Anyone who's been accepted there have any interview tips?

Be yourself and know the answers to the basic interview Qs. They won’t grill you about academics or anything. If you’re at the interview, they’re just evaluating you as a person, and they even said that beforehand.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 10/12 and I'm dying to hear back.... it's only been a week XD

Hey y'all, I interviewed 9/21 and have a question. I've been looking at last year's thread and this is what I've gathered: first round of acceptances go out in Oct as we've seen (Congrats to you and those of you who got II's!), next round will be Nov 7ish and those acceptances are primarily students who interviewed after the first acceptance date. This pattern continues until Jan, at which point wait list emails are sent out.

I was wait listed last year after interviewing in January with a sGPA 3.1 and 499 MCAT. I was interviewed September of this year with a sGPA 3.3 and 500 MCAT and of course haven't heard a word. I have two years of clinical experience, a number of extracurricular activities, many LOR's, and my post-bacc is what bumped up my sGPA (not by much I know, most of my grades were in the 88-89 range but still get counted as a 3.3 in AACOMAS)

I know no news in the best news, but I really don't want to risk it this year. My question is: what can I do to secure a spot? Should I retake the MCAT in January? (even though they said interviewees have made the grade cut offs). Should I send a letter of intent? Should I shadow and send in that experience? I'm at a loss and want to give this my final push because I feel my interview went really well (especially compared to last year) but I believe they want more from me still. Thanks for any advice!

Hey y'all, I interviewed 9/21 and have a question. I've been looking at last year's thread and this is what I've gathered: first round of acceptances go out in Oct as we've seen (Congrats to you and those of you who got II's!), next round will be Nov 7ish and those acceptances are primarily students who interviewed after the first acceptance date. This pattern continues until Jan, at which point wait list emails are sent out.

I was wait listed last year after interviewing in January with a sGPA 3.1 and 499 MCAT. I was interviewed September of this year with a sGPA 3.3 and 500 MCAT and of course haven't heard a word. I have two years of clinical experience, a number of extracurricular activities, many LOR's, and my post-bacc is what bumped up my sGPA (not by much I know, most of my grades were in the 88-89 range but still get counted as a 3.3 in AACOMAS)

I know no news in the best news, but I really don't want to risk it this year. My question is: what can I do to secure a spot? Should I retake the MCAT in January? (even though they said interviewees have made the grade cut offs). Should I send a letter of intent? Should I shadow and send in that experience? I'm at a loss and want to give this my final push because I feel my interview went really well (especially compared to last year) but I believe they want more from me still. Thanks for any advice!

I am just a student here, but thought maybe I could provide my own advice. This is effectively distracting me from my studies so I am happy to do it, even if it was unsolicited.

If you are post-interview, most schools make a point in saying that updates are generally unnecessary unless significant (new publication, new MCAT, new coursework). If we have interviewed you (twice in this case), I would be hesitant to say that a new MCAT score (unless it is quite different from the ones you had when interviewed) would be all that beneficial. Unless you are confident that you will improve by several points (and I do not mean that to say your current scores are the issue - we interviewed you, after all), then the only thing you will be doing is potentially forcing a delay in a decision (schools like to have all pending data before saying “yes” or “no,” unless the answer was already no for a different reason, which is unlikely given that we did not send a rejection per-say last cycle).

If you are looking for something to bolster your position at this point, and you are not currently in classes (adding to GPA) or actively researching (possible publication or presentation), work/shadowing/volunteer experience is the best way to go. Just do not update super frequently - make it a sizable/notable one. Updates can hurt as much as they help, if only as an irritant to an AdCom, so make them worth the effort.

I do not believe we do anything with LOI. Some schools do, but I do not believe we are one. They sound cool. Are these even legally binding? I cannot imagine they are. If they were I could see them carrying a lot more weight.

You could send a “thank you” letter to your interviewer, but that probably will not change your position. Might make them feel good, though. If you do get accepted, they may remember it? I would say this is more effective in the week or two following the interview than a month later, but I do not think it would affect standing one way or the other (unless it was rude or something - not the impact you want). We have good people here. I would not blame you if you wanted to do this.

I realize my reply is probably a whole lot of nothing, but this is my take. I am not in admissions so I couldn’t say for certain on any of it. Cliche ending to follow:

To all: Congratulations on applying to medical school. Congratulations on making it this far. Congratulations for the interview invite. These are all huge accomplishments in their own right. I wish you all the absolute best of luck with the process. I will be available for questions for the next five minutes - then dinner and back to studying.

what might that mean for people who interviewed in august and still have not heard back? my stats are 506 MCAT and 3.9 sGPA.

what might that mean for people who interviewed in august and still have not heard back? my stats are 506 MCAT and 3.9 sGPA.
I think you are going to get a acceptance assuming your interview went well. You are well above the median. It's a waiting game.

I think you are going to get a acceptance assuming your interview went well. You are well above the median. It's a waiting game.
i thought the interview went really well. but seeing acceptances go out and not hearing back feels so defeating. thank you for your comment though

Underdog 3.21/504

Interviewed penultimate week of Sept. at Jonesboro
Received acceptance on 10/15!!
--------
Don't lose hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone think its too late to apply? stats: 3.6-3.7 sgpa/as well as overall gpa. 508 mcat.

I am just a student here, but thought maybe I could provide my own advice. This is effectively distracting me from my studies so I am happy to do it, even if it was unsolicited.

If you are post-interview, most schools make a point in saying that updates are generally unnecessary unless significant (new publication, new MCAT, new coursework). If we have interviewed you (twice in this case), I would be hesitant to say that a new MCAT score (unless it is quite different from the ones you had when interviewed) would be all that beneficial. Unless you are confident that you will improve by several points (and I do not mean that to say your current scores are the issue - we interviewed you, after all), then the only thing you will be doing is potentially forcing a delay in a decision (schools like to have all pending data before saying “yes” or “no,” unless the answer was already no for a different reason, which is unlikely given that we did not send a rejection per-say last cycle).

If you are looking for something to bolster your position at this point, and you are not currently in classes (adding to GPA) or actively researching (possible publication or presentation), work/shadowing/volunteer experience is the best way to go. Just do not update super frequently - make it a sizable/notable one. Updates can hurt as much as they help, if only as an irritant to an AdCom, so make them worth the effort.

I do not believe we do anything with LOI. Some schools do, but I do not believe we are one. They sound cool. Are these even legally binding? I cannot imagine they are. If they were I could see them carrying a lot more weight.

You could send a “thank you” letter to your interviewer, but that probably will not change your position. Might make them feel good, though. If you do get accepted, they may remember it? I would say this is more effective in the week or two following the interview than a month later, but I do not think it would affect standing one way or the other (unless it was rude or something - not the impact you want). We have good people here. I would not blame you if you wanted to do this.

I realize my reply is probably a whole lot of nothing, but this is my take. I am not in admissions so I couldn’t say for certain on any of it. Cliche ending to follow:

To all: Congratulations on applying to medical school. Congratulations on making it this far. Congratulations for the interview invite. These are all huge accomplishments in their own right. I wish you all the absolute best of luck with the process. I will be available for questions for the next five minutes - then dinner and back to studying.

Hey thanks for all the advice. It was indeed very helpful. I completely agree with everything you've mentioned. I was hoping to get tutoring to raise my MCAT score, but as far as I've heard when it comes to the waitlist, they don't have a ranking system? Or maybe just not one that they share. So I'm unsure how much it would help, though if I do retake it, I'm hoping it will make a big difference.

I did send a thank you email a week after the interview, so with all things considered, I think volunteering/shadowing is my only option (I am not currently part of any research projects and can only afford to take one science course at the moment.) The waiting game is relentless. But thanks for all your input, it really was a big help!

For everyone wondering, it's definitely not too late to apply. I applied maybe two weeks ago, was complete a week ago, and got a II today. Go for it

For everyone wondering, it's definitely not too late to apply. I applied maybe two weeks ago, was complete a week ago, and got a II today. Go for it
I submitted my secondary like a week ago and was complete then but no II yet!

This is probably wayyyyy too premature but has anyone from 10/5 heard back yet?

Do any of the JB interviewees or students remember how they said they assign third year rotations? Is it a straight lottery or does our academic performance play any role?

Can anyone hear comment on NYIT-Jonesboro v. ACOM?
Current students or applicants - all opinions are appreciated! I'm having a hard time deciding

Do any of the JB interviewees or students remember how they said they assign third year rotations? Is it a straight lottery or does our academic performance play any role?
They have a mini match! They allow you to designate your top preferences and any strong reasons why (family obligations, etc).

They have a mini match! They allow you to designate your top preferences and any strong reasons why (family obligations, etc).

Ahh cool. I know they have a site in my hometown and I wanted to make sure I decent shot at it

Based on last year's admissions trend I believe the next batch of decisions will be released this Friday.

Based on last year's admissions trend I believe the next batch of decisions will be released this Friday.

What do you think the latest interview date will be included in this batch? I interviewed 10/20 and am wondering whether I'll be waiting until late November.

What do you think the latest interview date will be included in this batch? I interviewed 10/20 and am wondering whether I'll be waiting until late November.
idk bruh go look at the thread from last year and see when people from your date heard back. I interviewed mid September and am still waiting.

I was complete 7/23 and radio silence. Anyone complete around this time get a recent II or is this a silent rejection?

I interviewed Sep. 21nd and still have yet to hear anything back regarding acceptance. Has anyone else heard anything?

I interviewed Sep. 21nd and still have yet to hear anything back regarding acceptance. Has anyone else heard anything?
Last I heard, their acceptances ranged from 8/24 to around 9/11? So the next wave is probably mid september to end of september

Interviewed here last week. The day flew by and the actual interview itself felt like 15 mins. Now we marinate.

Interviewed on 9/25. I remember someone from the staff telling us last week of October/first week of November. Which is now. lol. Counting down the hours, minutes, seconds.

Anyone else on here not hear back from them? I sent in my supplemental application the beginning of July and haven't heard a word. Should I just take that as a rejection?

Anyone else on here not hear back from them? I sent in my supplemental application the beginning of July and haven't heard a word. Should I just take that as a rejection?
Still waiting to hear back too and I submitted in July. I would stay patient, god knows how these schools go about their review process lol

Interviewed on 9/25. I remember someone from the staff telling us last week of October/first week of November. Which is now. lol. Counting down the hours, minutes, seconds.
Yes! Checking emails and and incessantly ...

any recent IIs? When was the last batch sent out?
Want to hear from this school!!!!!!!!!

Everything I read from last years thread said it usually takes NYIT about 1.5-2 months to respond

Everything I read from last years thread said it usually takes NYIT about 1.5-2 months to respond
Yes! Some heard back within 2 weeks, but it seemed like a good portion did not hear back for at least 10 weeks.

Does anyone have tips for interview day?What is the interview like?

SGPA 3.9 and 506 mcat, anyone else with these stats who interviewed in august not receive any word back yet? also has there been another release of acceptances? is it a good idea to email the admissions department?

I have received an II for the Jonesboro campus just now. Debating whether to attend or not, has everyone enjoyed their interview experience there?

Interview day is chill and as stress free as possible. That said only go if you honestly see yourself possibly attending the school. No need to waste your time and theirs.

Is there a residency match list of locations and specialties for the past several years?

Also, any thoughts on why board scores dropped by a significant amount this past year?

Any current students care to comment on what you like/dislike about attending NYIT (Jonesboro)?

Thanks.

For those that got an interview at Jonesboro campus are there only 2 dates listed for the rest of the year? Do you think they will open more dates

Is there a residency match list of locations and specialties for the past several years?

Also, any thoughts on why board scores dropped by a significant amount this past year?

I wish I could link it but it won't let me. Basically, google "NYITCOM about" click the first link then go to "Residency Directions" on the left-hand side.
It has the residency match info for Classes 2013-2017, I'm also interviewing this cycle so I couldn't tell you anything about the board scores since that's not on the website, sadly.

For those that got an interview at Jonesboro campus are there only 2 dates listed for the rest of the year? Do you think they will open more dates
I saw only two dates listed on my end. No idea!