2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey there, how do they really decide who to offer interviews to if there are no essay questions? Is it based mostly on MCAT score?

They have AMCAS and the metrics that come with it, but also CASPer is a factor as well. The school doesn’t have “no secondary”, they just replaced what were slightly redundant essay prompts with a different assessment tool.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Im still waiting on 1 more LOR to come, hopefully by this weekend. Should I go ahead and submit my secondary anyways? I have the other required LOR, but I'd like this one included as well.

Also not verified on AMCAS yet, but most likely will be by end of next week.

I have a committee letter AND four other letters, one from my major science, one from another science, one from a non-science, and one from my long-term volunteer coordinator, all appended in one packet from my school. Should I just report it as committee letter? That is what my school had me do for AMCAS.

Edit: I noticed that it says that the application won't be complete until they receive all letters. Since I have them all in one packet, it might get messed up if I list them separately. Also, they only need the committee letter...the others are superfluous if you have the committee letter. So, I just put my school and left everything else blank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any luck not submitting a letter from your major department?

Does anybody know how important the optional letters are? I've worked at a Tire Shop through college and I am not sure if I can get a rec letter from my boss as he is pretty lazy, and at best, likely to submit a half-assed letter which might end up hurting my application. My committee packet includes a letter from my research mentor so I can't really include another from her either.
You might want to consider offering to your boss to write the letter yourself and he should look it over and edit it and sign it. It has been my experience that even professors may request this. Good luck to you!

I graduated undergrad 4 years ago and am not in communication with anyone in the department I majored in...has anyone had luck with getting away with some of these requirements?

I graduated undergrad 4 years ago and am not in communication with anyone in the department I majored in...has anyone had luck with getting away with some of these requirements?
I graduated 6 years ago. I just contacted my professors. Their emails are usually listed on the university's website.

Hey, i took my casper last year when I applied to a different school can I/should I retake it before I submit my secondary?

Hey, i took my casper last year when I applied to a different school can I/should I retake it before I submit my secondary?

You have to. Scores from last year cannot he used for this application cycle

Can the optional letter be from a physician I shadowed?

Trying to make the payment for NYMC secondaries. I keep getting this: ErrorCode = 150. Error communicating with Cyber Source. Please try again later.
Did anyone have the same issue?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to make the payment for NYMC secondaries. I keep getting this: ErrorCode = 150. Error communicating with Cyber Source. Please try again later.
Looks like this is happening across multiple schools. Idk what's going on, but for some reason it seems like every school's secondary website decided to lose their marbles at the same time.

To anyone who has received but has not submitted the secondary, is there a question that asks about criminal convictions?

I had the same issue and was able to pay eventually using a different card.

Optional letter can be from anyone. I recommend you make sure it will be a strong letter.
hi, i havent received this secondary yet, but is there an option for the committee letter on the site? If so, does that waive other letter requirements or do i still need to meet the other letter requirements

hi, i havent received this secondary yet, but is there an option for the committee letter on the site? If so, does that waive other letter requirements or do i still need to meet the other letter requirements
same question

I only have 3 Science LOR (all major) and 1 PI letter. I emailed them and they said these would satisfy the LOR requirements. So just incase anyone else is wondering, it seems you dont really need a non science LOR.

Last edited:
anyone know how long is CASPER and is it too late if i take it in sept. or Oct.??

anyone know how long is CASPER and is it too late if i take it in sept. or Oct.??
CASPer is only 90 mins long at the most. You should take it ASAP because many of the schools won't look at your file until your CASPer scores are proceeded which takes 3 weeks. I believe the next CASPer exam is on July 25th.

I am really not sure enough to give you an answer — I recommend reading through the website letter requirements and if it’s not clear send them an email or call to ask.

I am really not sure enough to give you an answer — I recommend reading through the website letter requirements and if it’s not clear send them an email or call to ask.

What is this school looking for? Is there a certain quality that they’re trying to find in an applicant. Some schools like rush are big on service others are big on research. How do we stand out in such a high volume school?

What is this school looking for? Is there a certain quality that they’re trying to find in an applicant. Some schools like rush are big on service others are big on research. How do we stand out in such a high volume school?

I really don’t have a good answer for that — I’m not involved in admissions at all. I know my classmates and the students here are all very hardworking and collaborative people, and it’s hard to identify one quality that would help someone stand out when the field of applicants is so strong. Maturity and balance are two things that come to mind as generally very important factors to any admissions committee, as they are essential traits of successful medical students.

I hope that helps answer your question in some way.

I really don’t have a good answer for that — I’m not involved in admissions at all. I know my classmates and the students here are all very hardworking and collaborative people, and it’s hard to identify one quality that would help someone stand out when the field of applicants is so strong. Maturity and balance are two things that come to mind as generally very important factors to any admissions committee, as they are essential traits of successful medical students.

I hope that helps answer your question in some way.
Somewhat haha but thanks for trying! I feel like it’s really a crap shoot as to what a lot of these high volume schools are looking for

CASPer is only 90 mins long at the most. You should take it ASAP because many of the schools won't look at your file until your CASPer scores are proceeded which takes 3 weeks. I believe the next CASPer exam is on July 25th.
How did you prepare for it ?

How did you prepare for it ?
I didn't really do anything. Just familiarized myself with the two scenarios that they give as examples on the website. The scenarios are dumb things like: "Angela stole Tommy's sandwich for lunch that he was saving for Jane. What do you do?" It's really common everyday things. Nothing to stress about.

So I just got an email from NYMC reminding me to take the CASPER, but haven't received a secondary from them yet?

They sent that email to everyone, I submitted my app and took the CASPer (waiting on my results)

I have a committee letter AND four other letters, one from my major science, one from another science, one from a non-science, and one from my long-term volunteer coordinator, all appended in one packet from my school. Should I just report it as committee letter? That is what my school had me do for AMCAS.

Edit: I noticed that it says that the application won't be complete until they receive all letters. Since I have them all in one packet, it might get messed up if I list them separately. Also, they only need the committee letter...the others are superfluous if you have the committee letter. So, I just put my school and left everything else blank.

I have almost the exact same problem. I have a letter packet from my grad school that includes a UG letter, grad letters, and additional letters from research mentors and my job. No clue how to fill this thing out in a way that won't leave them waiting on individual letters that will never arrive.

I sent my graduate institution letters to my undergrad premed advisor to be incorporated into my UG committee letter. Does anyone know if I need to specify further under the graduate letters section the faculty I received letters from? Advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have almost the exact same problem. I have a letter packet from my grad school that includes a UG letter, grad letters, and additional letters from research mentors and my job. No clue how to fill this thing out in a way that won't leave them waiting on individual letters that will never arrive.
I left everything blank besides my committee letter

I left everything blank besides my committee letter
Ah, I ended up going the other way--listed the individual letters that applied to the requirements, and then sent an email to clarify since I think another poster was told to list each letter. I don't have a true committee letter unfortunately, just a packet. Hopefully they can see that it's all bunched together!

Anyone still not get a secondary? I got verified one week ago.

I got the "remember to take your CASPer email" (but I took it in June and have already sent my results to NYMC...). Should I email them, or wait it out?

Anyone still not get a secondary? I got verified one week ago.

I got the "remember to take your CASPer email" (but I took it in June and have already sent my results to NYMC...). Should I email them, or wait it out?

I had received a secondary without getting verified so I would maybe email them to be safe. Unless they prescreen which I don't think they do.

I had received a secondary without getting verified so I would maybe email them to be safe. Unless they prescreen which I don't think they do.
Hahahahahahahahaha it was in my spam. 7/9/18.

RIP application.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do I even submit a secondary....?

Hahahahahahahahaha it was in my spam. 7/9/18.

RIP application.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do I even submit a secondary....?

Definitely! It has only been 2 weeks and their secondary is really quick to fill out

Has anyone submitted this secondary (or any other secondaries) before being verified? I'm assuming it wouldn't matter too much because most schools require AMCAS to be verified before even looking at apps.

On a side note, one of the more frustrating secondary's to fill out in regards to LOR requirements. I'm a non-trad:barf:

Has anyone submitted this secondary (or any other secondaries) before being verified? I'm assuming it wouldn't matter too much because most schools require AMCAS to be verified before even looking at apps.

I submitted this secondary before being verified

my current latest status:

"Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions."

anyone else with the same status?

any II yet?

Reactions: 2 users

"Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions."

any II yet?
I have the same status

any II yet?

Their interview season starts in October! I wouldn't expect to hear from them until late-August/early-September at the earliest.