2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long time lurker. Interviewed in the final couple days (12/11 - 12/13). Got a continued review email, expecting a rejection following this considering how late I interviewed lol

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker. Interviewed in the final couple days (12/11 - 12/13). Got a continued review email, expecting a rejection following this considering how late I interviewed lol
Not sure if he said it to yours, but Dean Rivera emphatically told my interview group that when you interview should not have an impact on your chances of being accepted. It's still a 10% acceptance rate of course (lol) but in theory we shouldn't have to worry about interviewing later than other applicants...

Not sure if he said it to yours, but Dean Rivera emphatically told my interview group that when you interview should not have an impact on your chances of being accepted. It's still a 10% acceptance rate of course (lol) but in theory we shouldn't have to worry about interviewing later than other applicants...
When you interviewed did he say how many offers had been given out?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you interviewed did he say how many offers had been given out?
Mine was in late October and I think around 20 had gone out at that point, but I have no clue what the current # is, unfortunately.

Well, I'll hold out some hope then :)

On 12/13 he said 58/100 had gone out, but it looks like a quite a few more have gone out since then

Are they accepting 100 MD? I thought it was 90 MD and 10 MD/PHD? Regardless, I do agree that they are probably pretty close to filling their class

Should I expect an R if people who interviewed after me have been accepted?

Are they accepting 100 MD? I thought it was 90 MD and 10 MD/PHD? Regardless, I do agree that they are probably pretty close to filling their class

They’re accepting 100 MD applicants for a class of 92 MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
fwiw, their admissions twitter says more acceptances will go out “shortly” whatever that means

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone miss the call from Dr. Rivera? Did NYU call back or did you get an email? Thanks!

Have the calls been NYC area code exclusively? I received a missed call from No Caller ID and I’m paranoid lol

Did anyone miss the call from Dr. Rivera? Did NYU call back or did you get an email? Thanks!
I missed the call. It was from a NYC area code. He called me more than once (he said he typically does that so people don’t think it’s a sales call and know to call back).

I missed the call. It was from a NYC area code. He called me more than once (he said he typically does that so people don’t think it’s a sales call and know to call back).
He didnt leave a voice mail? just wondering if they dont leave voice mail and we dont realize we got a call

He didnt leave a voice mail? just wondering if they dont leave voice mail and we dont realize we got a call

He said he calls multiple times and doesn't leave a voicemail so as to not give away the surprise. Also he'd rather talk to the accepted applicant personally than just leave a voicemail

He said he calls multiple times and doesn't leave a voicemail so as to not give away the surprise. Also he'd rather talk to the accepted applicant personally than just leave a voicemail
Thanks, have been travelling, will be alert from now on.

Well at least the silence will end before February when all interviewees will be notified..

Are they planning on having a waitlist this year? I remember the Dean saying he wouldn't waitlist a lot of people like other schools...

Are they planning on having a waitlist this year? I remember the Dean saying he wouldn't waitlist a lot of people like other schools...

I think there will be a waitlist. He definitely said they would only be waitlisting people who they were seriously considering. Give that he’s only accepting 100 outright now and said he was expecting ~60% yield, you would think some people would be waitlisted? Who knows though

In terms of raw numbers a lot of people will get waitlisted. But they’re still gonna reject a relatively large percentage of people post-interview, whereas some schools reject few if any post-interview, instead they waitlist everyone

Dean Rivera told our interview group that he planned on accepting the 100, waitlisting about 300, and rejecting the remaining interviewees. He said that he didn't like how some schools keep everyone on the waitlist, but ultimately reject the vast majority of those individuals.

Dean Rivera told our interview group that he planned on accepting the 100, waitlisting about 300, and rejecting the remaining interviewees. He said that he didn't like how some schools keep everyone on the waitlist, but ultimately reject the vast majority of those individuals.
thats a huge waitlist lol, assuming they 900 interviews,100 accept, 300 reject post II, 300 waitlist post hold, that means that come end of Feb we should see about 200 post hold rejections

thats a huge waitlist lol

Might be certainly possible I misheard lol, but I'm pretty sure he said he wanted to put about 1/3 of the interviewees on the waitlist, and that they were interviewing close to 1000

Just asked an admitted friend- there are 94 people on the FB group. Accounting for those who were accepted but don’t have a Facebook account/didn’t join the group, I’m guessing they’ve accepted over 100 at this point, meaning they’ve filled their class. I forget if the dean mentioned what their expected yield is this year.
Does the 94 not include any current students?

I had 4 missed calls last night from a new york number while I was asleep. Trying not to get my hopes up but 4 missed calls makes me think it's not spam. Didnt get a voice mail though ans the callback isn't working.

Can I private message you the number to see if it's the same one that called you? Had 4 missed calls from an nyc number but for some reason i can't call back and this is gonna be driving me crazy all day if i don't find out lol

Edit: got it answered by someone, looks like it wasn't the same number. Only applied to one other new York school and they don't reply until next month so no sure what it was haha

Last edited:
Just asked an admitted friend- there are 94 people on the FB group. Accounting for those who were accepted but don’t have a Facebook account/didn’t join the group, I’m guessing they’ve accepted over 100 at this point, meaning they’ve filled their class. I forget if the dean mentioned what their expected yield is this year.

A sizable chunk of that is mstp, I would imagine there are still a good amount of md spots to be offered

I think the expected yield is around 60%, according to previous posts. But again, the dean did say that they have no idea how many people would actually matriculate from the original acceptances. Assuming that 60% yield is accurate, I would say that approximately 150 acceptances would go out in total

Can’t imagine it’d be more than like 5 student ambassadors? If that. Wonder why they haven’t updated their twitter to indicate when the last round of acceptances will go out.

lol the other student groups I've seen actually have like a majority current students and much smalller number of accepted students. So its not impossible to have a large chunk of them being current students

*ahem* not that I'm obsessively fb stalking people (that would be weird, ha..ha....) but I bet like 10-15 are current students. Lot's of people wearing NYU white coats in their photos.

I'm not weird you're weird
thanks dude your the best

Reactions: 2 users
Only 15 days left in January. The neuroticism continues to grow...

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone do a quick gender count of the admitted students in the FB group? I want to know if guys or girls have a better chance at getting admitted at this point

NAH I’m joking. Y’all are crazy

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone do a quick gender count of the admitted students in the FB group? I want to know if guys or girls have a better chance at getting admitted at this point

Good idea! Might as well split it up into a chart with race, age, gender, SES level, location, section of medicine they want to go into, height, attractiveness, personality, and writing skills while we're at it

*ahem* not that I'm obsessively fb stalking people (that would be weird, ha..ha....) but I bet like 10-15 are current students. Lot's of people wearing NYU white coats in their photos.

I'm not weird you're weird

Glad I found people just like me...
I want to do a little of my own stalking...but how did you find out who is a member of the group?

If you search on Facebook there’s a group called “NYU School of Medicine Class of 2023” but it only has 64 members?

If you search on Facebook there’s a group called “NYU School of Medicine Class of 2023” but it only has 64 members?

That is created by a current student. This is the one created by the admissions office "NYU School of Medicine Admissions Office Class of 2023"

A sizable chunk of that is mstp, I would imagine there are still a good amount of md spots to be offered

Would the MSTP students also come under "class of 2023", will check if they have a separate group

Admissions Twitter just posted "We're sending out some more acceptances as we speak and expect to finalize our waitlist in the next coming days! #staytuned #NYUSOM"

So do we think this is going to be the last round of acceptances?
Sounds like they're wrapping up at any rate. He didn't say "last round" so there may be a few more, but seems like final decisions will hopefully come out this week/next week