2019-2020 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on priority alternate list. Interviewed 10/23

This may have already been answered, but can someone please explain what the different waitlists are? Also, what is the typical movement from these waitlists?
Priority alternate list tends to get more movement looking at previous threads. It all really depends on how much interest you show. I would update them regularly to help your chances

Got the II on Dec 24th (merry Christmas, am I right?) and I’m interviewing Jan 6th! Complete 10/8, OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list just now. Interviewed 11/11 OOS LM ~68. Bummed because this was my top choice :/

not sure if they only send IIs on one day, but I got mine on a Friday! (first fri of decemeber and interviewed in mid-Dec so the turn around is pretty quick)
Yeah I got my interview invite on a Tuesday so I don't think there's a set day

I feel the only major appeal to this school is instate tuition...

I got a very good vibe from my interviewing physician. It seemed like she cared about the medical students. She also cared about the underserved population coming to the hospital from the Newark area. I think for people who are interested in working with such populations it would be a great place. Most students seemed uninterested in conducting research, one of them even said she doesn’t like research, which surprised me. If you are thinking about doing clinical or public health research maybe it might not be the best place. Newark as a city might be a rough place to live, but NYC is very accessible. I think there are many great things about Rutgers NJMS, in addition to in-state tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
I got a very good vibe from my interviewing physician. It seemed like she cared about the medical students. She also cared about the underserved population coming to the hospital from the Newark area. I think for people who are interested in working with such populations it would be a great place. Most students seemed uninterested in conducting research, one of them even said she doesn’t like research, which surprised me. If you are thinking about doing clinical or public health research maybe it might not be the best place. Newark as a city might be a rough place to live, but NYC is very accessible. I think there are many great things about Rutgers NJMS, in addition to in-state tuition.

I'm from the area and have lived in NYC for awhile. The school doesn't have the $ or resources like a lot of neighboring institutions do, unfortunately. So, if you are interested in research or opportunities to develop your skills within an area you'd like to pursue - education, clinical, biomedical, public health, etc - choosing a school with the better resources is the better move.

I'm from the area and have lived in NYC for awhile. The school doesn't have the $ or resources like a lot of neighboring institutions do, unfortunately. So, if you are interested in research or opportunities to develop your skills within an area you'd like to pursue - education, clinical, biomedical, public health, etc - choosing a school with the better resources is the better move.

Yup. I am aware of all of that. I am going to a different school, but I still think Rutgers NJMS is a pretty good school. I was able to find some research opportunities there while I was reading more about the school. I highly recommend checking their infectious diseases department’s website if you wanna go there and also do research on HIV and related stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody hear anything on the Financial Aid front? I still haven't heard anything or done anything other than the FAFSA since the NJMS financial aid app hasn't been updated to next year's stuff yet

Anybody hear anything on the Financial Aid front? I still haven't heard anything or done anything other than the FAFSA since the NJMS financial aid app hasn't been updated to next year's stuff yet
I heard nothing gets released until April.

interviewed in november, haven't heard. anyone from the same time or later hear back yet?

Last edited:
I interviewed 11/13 and haven't heard back yet. I remember being told that they would make their decision within 8 weeks of the interview

I have heard most schools fall behind in the holidays so I wouldn’t read into it. The fact they’re taking a long time means they are actually putting effort into each application to make thoughtful decisions. Maybe that’s overly optimistic but it DOES help me sleep at night.

Reactions: 4 users
I have heard most schools fall behind in the holidays so I wouldn’t read into it. The fact they’re taking a long time means they are actually putting effort into each application to make thoughtful decisions. Maybe that’s overly optimistic but it DOES help me sleep at night.
Agreed!

Has anyone who has been accepted received financial aid packages yet?

Are they done with invites? Just curious how that is going.
Is all hope lost?

Is all hope lost?
Not sure according to their email it says:
“Please note, the screening process continues through February 2020. If you are not selected for an interview, you will be notified in March 2020.

Interviewing begins July 2019 and will continue through March 2020.”

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Is all hope lost?

I have a friend who sent out an update email to Dean H in the beginning of January last year get an interview and acceptance. So I wouldn’t say all hope is lost. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Question for anyone who submitted an update - did your portal update showing that you uploaded the letter afterwards? I submitted one but don't see an update on my portal...just not positive if it went through. Thanks!

Question for anyone who submitted an update - did your portal update showing that you uploaded the letter afterwards? I submitted one but don't see an update on my portal...just not positive if it went through. Thanks!
Same thing happened to me! I sent an update to the office of admissions email as a pdf. and they said it was updated but I didn’t see it on the portal. Would love to know if they probably uploaded it without it showing on the portal or they just didn’t upload it lol.

I had my interview at NJMS a few weeks ago and one of the first questions the interviewer asked me “was what schools have you interviewed at and where have you been accepted?” Did anyone else experienced this and what are peoples thoughts on what they were getting at and whether this was OK for them to ask?

I had my interview at NJMS a few weeks ago and one of the first questions the interviewer asked me “was what schools have you interviewed at and where have you been accepted?” Did anyone else experienced this and what are peoples thoughts on what they were getting at and whether this was OK for them to ask?
I haven't interviewed at NJMS, but I've interviewed at other schools and was asked the same questions. I thought it was asked to gauge interest in the school. I replied honestly about my other acceptance but also indicated that I was very interested in the school where I was currently interviewing and the specific reasons for my interest.