2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was actually thinking of doing the MPH at Downstate if this cycle didn't work out (and if I got into Downstate I was strongly considering the MPH as well) -- I haven't heard back yet though. Long story short, when I spoke to the MPH admissions, they told me that the MPH acceptance is contingent on an MD acceptance first. But anything is possible - maybe they split your app up for some reason. I'd email or call and ask.

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to the MD/MPH program at this school and I just got accepted to the MPH program but have not received an interview from the MD program... Does anyone know why this happened? Are the two programs completely independent of each other to the point where I can get accepted to one and rejected from another?? v confused haha
same thing here! let me know if you hear anything!
 
Still haven't heard from this school and I was complete late August... I should probably stop hoping for an II now right?
 
Does anyone have any information to why they haven't had a single plastic surgery match in the past decade? They seem to match well in derm and other specialties but why not plastics? Source: Residency Placement Lists
Students at medical schools without an independent or integrated plastic surgery residency program (e.g. Downstate) will have a harder time matching into a plastic surgery residency program, because:
1) Fewer research opportunities. US seniors matching into plastic surgery had a mean of 14.2 publications/presentations/abstracts listed on their application. Plastic surgery is a very academic specialty, and the ability to work with residents on research projects is a massive advantage.
2) Fewer faculty. I've been told plastic surgery is a rather small field, and as a result, the names of your letter writers matters a lot. The existing faculty at these schools seem to be volunteer faculty who primarily work in cosmetic private practice, as opposed to tenure-track associate or full professors of surgery who do research on reconstructive procedures. Downstate's plastic surgery website lists a mere 3 faculty members, one of whom seems to have moved to San Francisco when I looked him up.
3) Lack of a home program to "fall back" to. I've heard that programs have a tendency to "choose their own," and without a home program, you'd be more reliant on sub-Is and audition rotations at other institutions to impress program directors.
 
Last edited:
Students at medical schools without an independent or integrated plastic surgery residency program (e.g. Downstate) will have a harder time matching into a plastic surgery residency program, because:
1) Fewer research opportunities. US seniors matching into plastic surgery had a mean of 14.2 publications/presentations/abstracts listed on their application. Plastic surgery is a very academic specialty, and the ability to work with residents on research projects is a massive advantage.
2) Fewer faculty. I've been told plastic surgery is a rather small field, and as a result, the names of your letter writers matters a lot. The existing faculty at these schools seem to be volunteer faculty who primarily work in cosmetic private practice, as opposed to tenure-track associate or full professors of surgery who do research on reconstructive procedures. Downstate's plastic surgery website lists a mere 3 faculty members, one of whom seems to have moved to San Francisco when I looked him up.
3) Lack of a home program to "fall back" to. I've heard that programs have a tendency to "choose their own," and without a home program, you'd be more reliant on sub-Is and audition rotations at other institutions to impress program directors.
Thank you for all of the very detailed information!! Since you mentioned sub-Is and audition rotations, it might be extremely difficult but not impossible to match into plastics then if that is the residency I choose? It is still early but I want to keep my options open when choosing a school to attend. Who knows, maybe I will choose a completely different specialty. This whole process is so overwhelming to know everything about.
 
Thank you for all of the very detailed information!! Since you mentioned sub-Is and audition rotations, it might be extremely difficult but not impossible to match into plastics then if that is the residency I choose? It is still early but I want to keep my options open when choosing a school to attend. Who knows, maybe I will choose a completely different specialty. This whole process is so overwhelming to know everything about.
Certainly not impossible - Buffalo doesn't have a plastics residency either, but one person matched in 2017, two matched in 2014, and one matched in 2011. Since Downstate is surrounded by so many other programs, I can't imagine that finding sub-I and away rotation opportunities would be difficult. I don't want to derail this thread, so you can PM me if you want.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we know if the acceptances are released in waves or if all acceptances (of people who interviewed so far) were sent on Monday? Or when the latest interview dates that got acceptances were?

Also, does anyone know how receptive they are to letters of intent? Interviewed here mid-December and this is my top choice program!
 
Did you submit your reply form?
I called the school! They said that getting accepted into the MPH programs says nothing about our chances of getting into the MD program because they’re admissions processes are completely independent. They said that they’re still offering interviews for March and April so there’s still a chance! I’m not sure if I’m going to fill out the form just because I don’t want to fill up the spot if there’s a 90% chance of me getting rejected from the MD program haha hope this helps you guys!! And congrats on the half acceptance 🙂
 
I called the school! They said that getting accepted into the MPH programs says nothing about our chances of getting into the MD program because they’re admissions processes are completely independent. They said that they’re still offering interviews for March and April so there’s still a chance! I’m not sure if I’m going to fill out the form just because I don’t want to fill up the spot if there’s a 90% chance of me getting rejected from the MD program haha hope this helps you guys!! And congrats on the half acceptance 🙂

Thank you for calling! Oh man... I wish they'd just let us know right away if we got a shot or not. Hehe
 
Do we know if the acceptances are released in waves or if all acceptances (of people who interviewed so far) were sent on Monday? Or when the latest interview dates that got acceptances were?

Also, does anyone know how receptive they are to letters of intent? Interviewed here mid-December and this is my top choice program!
My theory is this: those who got their acceptances in that first wave were the ones the committee immediately accepted. While those who haven't heard back yet are still being considered. At least that's what I'm thinking based on what I heard in November. Also it's possible rejections have gone out, because not many on this forum actually report a post interview rejection.
 
II just now! Scheduled for February 11th.

This may be ignorant, but would an interview date that late mean that I am likely interviewing for the waitlist? I know every school is different.

Also, anyone mind sharing details about their interview day? How stressful they found the interview/overall impression they got of the school etc
 
Hi, has anyone tried sending an update letter or letter of intent?

I got an "update" email last week (1/17) telling me that I should hear back the end of January/ early February.

"Admissions Committee has decided to hold all decisions on admission (including acceptances) until early 2019. You will be hearing from us again in late January or early February"​
 
Hi, has anyone tried sending an update letter or letter of intent?

I got an "update" email last week (1/17) telling me that I should hear back the end of January/ early February.

"Admissions Committee has decided to hold all decisions on admission (including acceptances) until early 2019. You will be hearing from us again in late January or early February"​

Anyone else receive this email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First post here but have been lurking for a while! Interviewed mid December and wondering if any more decisions will be released between last week's wave and the "late January, early February" window they've mentioned.
 
Anyone else get the wrong link to the admitted facebook group (I got Downstate COM 2022)? If you got the correct one, can you please DM the link?
I also got the 2022 link, I tried searching for the 2023 group and couldn't find it.
Has anyone accepted had success scheduling the "Shadow-a-Student" visit?
 
Hi, has anyone tried sending an update letter or letter of intent?

I got an "update" email last week (1/17) telling me that I should hear back the end of January/ early February.

"Admissions Committee has decided to hold all decisions on admission (including acceptances) until early 2019. You will be hearing from us again in late January or early February"​

Just received this email this afternoon—have most other people been receiving it?
 
If they are still focused on making offers to the Sept-Nov crowd, that makes me wonder if Dec-Feb will need to wait till April? Judging by the 2017-2018 thread, this all looks really different.

It's also my understanding that no one has posted here about being rejected? That's also pretty different than last year's thread. Kind of confusing, really.
 
If they are still focused on making offers to the Sept-Nov crowd, that makes me wonder if Dec-Feb will need to wait till April? Judging by the 2017-2018 thread, this all looks really different.

It's also my understanding that no one has posted here about being rejected? That's also pretty different than last year's thread. Kind of confusing, really.

Someone earlier in the thread reported being accepted after interviewing in early December, so my guess is that they're just doing a chronological system weighted by application competitiveness to start.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize if this has been discussed before but have they sent out any pre-II rejections ?