2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that TouroNY is requiring CASPER this year. My advice would be to sign up early (there were limited CASPER dates last year, iirc).

CASPER is a drag and an annoyance (and $20...) but overall not that bad in my experience. The major frustration, from my perspective, is the lack of results/ability to prepare. Type quickly and consider all viewpoints is the advice I've heard, but there's no way to know if that holds true.

Interview invite via email just now!
Secondary submitted Aug 29 and completed email received Sep 4
2 options-- september 17 and october 15
stats: ivy league grad MCAT 502 sGPA 3.2 cGPA 3.4

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite via email just now!
Secondary submitted Aug 29 and completed email received Sep 4
2 options-- september 17 and october 15
stats: ivy league grad MCAT 502 sGPA 3.2 cGPA 3.4

Congrats!!! Just curious when did you take your CASPer test? Did they give you an interview with or without receiving your CASPer scores yet? Also are you a traditional student applying right out of college or took a gap year(s)? Sorry for all the questions!

Congrats!!! Just curious when did you take your CASPer test? Did they give you an interview with or without receiving your CASPer scores yet? Also are you a traditional student applying right out of college or took a gap year(s)? Sorry for all the questions!
No worries!
I have my casper test scheduled but I have not taken it yet. I am a traditional student but I am on my gap year right now, so i graduated 2018.

II around 11:30am today.

Secondary Complete Aug 29th. Complete email Sept 4 like above post.
Yay!! GLTA!!

Any there any current students from Touro Middletown willing to offer some advice or suggestions? Thank you already.

Reactions: 1 user

Yay!! GLTA!!

Any there any current students from Touro Middletown willing to offer some advice or suggestions? Thank you already.
I'm a Masters student but I interviewed at Middletown last year. It's pretty laid back--basic questions like why medicine, why DO, why Touro? They may throw you an ethical scenario of some kind. I think the age-old adage, "be yourself" applies!

If you have specific questions about the school or the campus let me know. The Masters curriculum is pretty similar to first year, just subtract physical diagnosis and OMM.

Yay!! GLTA!!

I’m a current OSM1. Most people said their interview was laid back but mine ended with a good cop bad cop. Another guy who interviewed right after me with the same interviewers said the same thing. They never emphasized what exactly they look for in students so it’s hard to give any school specific interview advice. I did talk to the admissions director a few weeks ago and he said they already know who they want based on the secondaries but that some applicants don’t end up being anything like their app. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello, I’m a new member on this forum

just got an II for the Middletown campus, does anyone have any information on the best way to travel for someone who is out of state? It seems like all the airports are at least an hour and a half away from Middletown, so how are you guys going to be getting there if a car is not an option? Greyhound? Is anyone aware of any other type of transportation from one of the airports (JFK, EWR or LGO I believe..) to the campus?

Also does anyone have any information about what its like to be a student, such as what its like to live in Middletown, the education itself, etc... thank you!

Interview Invite yesterday! Will be making the trip next month! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my electronic secondary app yesterday and emailed my secondary form and personal essay to the admissions today. Question: both of my secondary form and personal essay are in PDF format, is that ok? I forgot if I suppose to have my personal essay in a word document or not.

Also can those who receive an II mind sharing your timeline of when u submit your secondary app to complete email to your II?

I’m a current OSM1. Most people said their interview was laid back but mine ended with a good cop bad cop. Another guy who interviewed right after me with the same interviewers said the same thing. They never emphasized what exactly they look for in students so it’s hard to give any school specific interview advice. I did talk to the admissions director a few weeks ago and he said they already know who they want based on the secondaries but that some applicants don’t end up being anything like their app. Let me know if you have any questions!
I was reading on your posts from last year’s cycle. Can you tell us your experience so far? What do you like and don’t like about your first year at TouroCOM?

I submitted my electronic secondary app yesterday and emailed my secondary form and personal essay to the admissions today. Question: both of my secondary form and personal essay are in PDF format, is that ok? I forgot if I suppose to have my personal essay in a word document or not.

Also can those who receive an II mind sharing your timeline of when u submit your secondary app to complete email to your II?

Secondary submitted: 8/28/18
Complete: 8/30/18
II: 9/12/18

I was reading on your posts from last year’s cycle. Can you tell us your experience so far? What do you like and don’t like about your first year at TouroCOM?
Sure! I really didn’t like the school when I interviewed. Dorms are old hospital rooms, lecture halls/library/study rooms are in the basement, secondary is wayyyy too much plus I already had poor expectations from all the SDN hate. I’ve got to say, I really actually like this school now that I’ve started.

Pros:
-You can watch the lectures on your own time
-High COMLEX I pass rate (this year it was 98%)
-there isn’t a “DO identity” here. The only time DO is ever brought up is during OMM. Really just feels like a regular medical school.
-Professors are great. The anatomy lab tech is amazing.

Cons:
-Tuition is on the high side
-building doesn’t have a cafeteria or gym
-cooking food in the dorms is not allowed
-there’s a giant hill you have to walk up when parking in the commuter parking lot

Also just FYI for those interviewing, they will show you the anatomy lab with an uncovered cadaver. I actually think it’s great that they do this but it’s nice to have a heads up. Good luck to all of you interviewing!

Reactions: 6 users
II today! Submitted secondary Sept 10, was complete today as well haha.

II today!!! Submitted 8/29. Complete email 8/30

Sure! I really didn’t like the school when I interviewed. Dorms are old hospital rooms, lecture halls/library/study rooms are in the basement, secondary is wayyyy too much plus I already had poor expectations from all the SDN hate. I’ve got to say, I really actually like this school now that I’ve started.

Pros:
-You can watch the lectures on your own time
-High COMLEX I pass rate (this year it was 98%)
-there isn’t a “DO identity” here. The only time DO is ever brought up is during OMM. Really just feels like a regular medical school.
-Professors are great. The anatomy lab tech is amazing.

Cons:
-Tuition is on the high side
-building doesn’t have a cafeteria or gym
-cooking food in the dorms is not allowed
-there’s a giant hill you have to walk up when parking in the commuter parking lot

Also just FYI for those interviewing, they will show you the anatomy lab with an uncovered cadaver. I actually think it’s great that they do this but it’s nice to have a heads up. Good luck to all of you interviewing!

Just wanted to add to your list:

Pros:
-Therapy dogs to hang with after each test

Cons:
-No therapy dogs the rest of the time

Just wanted to add to your list:

Pros:
-Therapy dogs to hang with after each test

Cons:
-No therapy dogs the rest of the time

I was on the fence about submitting my secondary, but I may just do it now.

But seriously, $200 + $20 (Casper)... Why do my home state schools have to be so difficult!

I'm from NYC, went to college there, grew up there. If I do indeed apply to Touro, it will be to Middletown. NYC blows, and the "big city" stuff wears off pretty fast. Expensive rent, the constant smell of garbage on the streets, dirty/smelly subways, dirty everything, people are mean, constant hustle.... poor learning environment in my opinion. Then again, I may just be sick of it.

I guess if my parents were loaded, or I was in the "fee waiver" category, I could live somewhere nice, but this is not the case. All I see is more $$$$$$ the more I think about it.

II Today! Secondary submitted 9/16 and complete email 9/21

is anyone interviewing october 15th or october 22nd?

OMG II this morning!!! Complete 9/20!!! Happy beyond imagine!!

***For those who have interviewed already, could you guys tell me what is the best Airport to fly into, what bus to take, and where to stay? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received secondary recently. Will they review the secondary and possibly invite for interview if I haven't completed the CASPer test yet?

Received secondary recently. Will they review the secondary and possibly invite for interview if I haven't completed the CASPer test yet?
Yup, I got an interview invite without even doing Casper

does anyone how much Touro weights the capser exam and when they started using it?

does anyone how much Touro weights the capser exam and when they started using it?

They started using it this year. I’ll see if I can get some info as to what they’re looking for.

Does anyone know if there is an afternoon interview session for this school ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know when they begin releasing admission decisions?

im shakin in my boots over my interview on monday :(

OMG II this morning!!! Complete 9/20!!! Happy beyond imagine!!

***For those who have interviewed already, could you guys tell me what is the best Airport to fly into, what bus to take, and where to stay? Thanks.
I'm driving there because I was clueless about the airports, I didnt see any close by. I have about a 6 hour drive. and I'm staying at the Hamptonn they provided info for in their interview confirmation email

im shakin in my boots over my interview on monday :(
couple things that helped my nerves before interviews past:
-realizing what an incredible privilege it is to have made it to a medical school interview. own it. enjoy it.
-reframing the experience from adversarial to advocational. your interviewers will be your advocates in front of the admissions committee. be open and personable, tell them your story, and if the stars align you will earn their recommendation.
-practice your answers to the common questions.

best of luck! maybe I'll see you around.

I was on the fence about submitting my secondary, but I may just do it now.

But seriously, $200 + $20 (Casper)... Why do my home state schools have to be so difficult!
They added CASPER this year? Did any other DO school starting doing this?

im nervous about getting some crazy health care questions that i cant answer

couple things that helped my nerves before interviews past:
-realizing what an incredible privilege it is to have made it to a medical school interview. own it. enjoy it.
-reframing the experience from adversarial to advocational. your interviewers will be your advocates in front of the admissions committee. be open and personable, tell them your story, and if the stars align you will earn their recommendation.
-practice your answers to the common questions.

best of luck! maybe I'll see you around.

Would you and whoever else mind sharing some "common questions"? I have my interview on 12/11 and my pre-advisor is seemly too busy to meet with me before then... Its my first interview of this cycle and I am pretty oblivious of what can be asked. I read some stuff online but the range of questions seems soooo large that I couldn't help but wonder if they were specific to certain medical schools according to their mission and values/what they are looking for.
Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You are likely to get a question like "tell me about yourself" or "what brings you here today" or simply "why medicine?" all variations on the same theme really. If you don't explicitly state it, they will probably follow up with a question about your interest in osteopathic medicine in particular, make sure to prepare for that. From there, you can count on a "why Touro" question...this shows that you've done at least some basic homework on the school and can imagine yourself being successful in their program. That's basically it...you will guide the conversation based on your answers to those questions. They might ask what you like to do for fun or how you cope with academic struggles. They might give you a very basic ethics scenario to see if you have a soul...

I asked my interviewer what they thought the ideal "fit" for the school is, considering it's a term that gets used often but is kind of vague. They said it's a "melding" of scientific curiosity and academic skill with compassion and the desire to serve others. Pretty generic but also fairly descriptive of many folks that I've met here.

Would you and whoever else mind sharing some "common questions"? I have my interview on 12/11 and my pre-advisor is seemly too busy to meet with me before then... Its my first interview of this cycle and I am pretty oblivious of what can be asked. I read some stuff online but the range of questions seems soooo large that I couldn't help but wonder if they were specific to certain medical schools according to their mission and values/what they are looking for.
Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
IIRC, I got questions like:
Why this school?
Why medicine?
Why did the Undertaker throw Mankind off hell in a cell?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for all the replies!!! This might be a silly question, but did you all wear a suit to the interview? I wanted to make sure I am not over or under dressed for it... I assume a full suit is the way to go tho(?) Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies!!! This might be a silly question, but did you all wear a suit to the interview? I wanted to make sure I am not over or under dressed for it... I assume a full suit is the way to go tho(?) Thanks!
If you don't wear a suit to the interview, it'll certainly be an interesting way to stand out.

Reactions: 6 users