2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think anyone has. Everyone who doesn't receive the A up front seems to be waitlisted until they fill their class. We are then rejected at the end. I interviewed in late October and decided to bite the bullet and contact Admissions. I was told the following:

"Currently, your application is under review with our admissions committee. Unfortunately, we do not have an exact time as to when you will receive a decision. Until your receive a rejection notice, your file will remain viable and continue to be reviewed for a position in our incoming class."

I'm assuming I'm on the waitlist until I hear otherwise. Though I will say my friend who was accepted last year said she knew people that got acceptances a week before the Second Look day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone has. Everyone who doesn't receive the A up front seems to be waitlisted until they fill their class. We are then rejected at the end. I interviewed in late October and decided to bite the bullet and contact Admissions. I was told the following:

"Currently, your application is under review with our admissions committee. Unfortunately, we do not have an exact time as to when you will receive a decision. Until your receive a rejection notice, your file will remain viable and continue to be reviewed for a position in our incoming class."

Thanks for asking for us. It's pretty tough for applicants that we don't get some sort of idea on where we stand. I feel like a lot of other schools have at least some sort of timeline with regards to giving applicants a decision. I'm also going to assume a waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Have any merit scholarships other than the Geffen been given out? On interview day Dean Hall said that they give full tuition awards too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when the acceptances are gonna be released for people who interviewed in November/December?

Reactions: 6 users
Super creepy of me, but I found a UCLA DGSOM Class of 2023 facebook group that was created about a week ago. Right now there are only 7 members, and 4 of them are admins. Looks like they've only accepted a few applicants???

Super creepy of me, but I found a UCLA DGSOM Class of 2023 facebook group that was created about a week ago. Right now there are only 7 members, and 4 of them are admins. Looks like they've only accepted a few applicants???

They’ve accepted quite a few people, just based off this thread. It looks like only a few of the acceptees have joined the group.

No, it's because the school hasn't sent us an email yet...

Congratulations, DGSOM Prime Class of 2023!!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...prime/class-of-2023+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Assuming this is still tentative as kids may choose to go elsewhere but still interesting that this page was published at some point.
The PRIME program is a dual degree program, which means that the class will graduate 1+ years later than the cohort that they started with. That confused me at first too, but I believe that the page is referring to last year's accepted class! News for current PRIME folks is not expected to come out until early March.

The PRIME program is a dual degree program, which means that the class will graduate 1+ years later than the cohort that they started with. That confused me at first too, but I believe that the page is referring to last year's accepted class! News for current PRIME folks is not expected to come out until early March.

ahh makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Members don't see this ad :)
They started to let accepted student into the class of 2023 facebook page. I know that some of you have the temptation to use it as a way to estimate how many students are accepted, just keep in mind that there are medical students(who aren't admin) in the group too.

They started to let accepted student into the class of 2023 facebook page. I know that some of you have the temptation to use it as a way to estimate how many students are accepted, just keep in mind that there are medical students(who aren't admin) in the group too.
What is the page called?

The previous groups have like 440+ people in them so you're totally right. I guess we just have to take the number with a grain of salt!

Totally floored. Just got accepted by UCLA. Only received email to check portal and I thought that must mean I was rejected or waitlisted, but turns out it was an acceptance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Also got an acceptance! Super excited for this one.

This might be a dumb question, but is accepting the offer of admission a binding decision? They say we have 10 business days to respond, but finances are a consideration for me and I'm still waiting to hear from some schools.

Reactions: 8 users
Welp, late October interviewee here sitting in silence, guess it's the WL. :/

This might be a dumb question, but is accepting the offer of admission a binding decision? They say we have 10 business days to respond, but finances are a consideration for me and I'm still waiting to hear from some schools.
Congrats! When did you interview?

It’s not binding. It says that next to the commit to enroll option.

It’s not binding. It says that next to the commit to enroll option.

Yeah that was my bad. Probably reflected in my CARS score :smack:. I was on the initial accept/decline page so I hadn't clicked through to the plan/commit to enroll stuff yet

Totally floored. Just got accepted by UCLA. Only received email to check portal and I thought that must mean I was rejected or waitlisted, but turns out it was an acceptance!

Congrats to you both! What time did you receive the emails?

Do we think the acceptance wave was last night, or it was just a few emails? I thought they usually called for acceptances.

They only call if you receive a scholarship.

I hope the acceptance wave wasn’t last night. I interviewed Mid-November and am so nervous!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an email to check status...accepted! Interviewed end of November, OOS

Reactions: 9 users
Just got accepted via portal as well! Interviewed late October, OOS! Wow :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Just got accepted via portal as well! Interviewed late October, OOS! Wow :)

Same eep!! Loved the interview day and the school :D

Does anyone know if there's still a chance of receiving a merit scholarship later on if we didn't get one with our initial acceptance? UCLA is...surprisingly more expensive than a few private med schools I've been accepted to so far, which was kind of a damper.

Reactions: 3 users

Does anyone know if there's still a chance of receiving a merit scholarship later on if we didn't get one with our initial acceptance? UCLA is...surprisingly more expensive than a few private med schools I've been accepted to so far, which was kind of a damper.

Someone on here did receive a Geffen a few weeks after acceptance. Admissions, as far as I know, also hasn't released any other merit scholarships yet.

Regarding finances, UCLA isn't super expensive after you exhaust all your resources. For one, you can reclassify to in-state after a year, which reduces tuition by 12K a year. Secondly, they have fairly good financial aid (probably not as good as some other T10 privates, but still acceptable). Finally, their predicted COA is pretty high - to the point where I doubt you will reach it every year. For example, they allocate about 5K a year in transportation, which I think is a lot and very unlikely anyone would actually reach that number. Also, their housing budget is based on the most expensive on-campus apartment option, an option that you likely won't use for all four years.

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats! When did you interview?

Never got a secondary here but this morning got a notification someone looked at my LinkedIn profile from UCLA DG-SOM and then a few hours later got the R. :rolleyes: Just thought it was a little funny.

Reactions: 1 users
Never got a secondary here but this morning got a notification someone looked at my LinkedIn profile from UCLA DG-SOM and then a few hours later got the R. :rolleyes: Just thought it was a little funny.
Lol, better update that profile! And here I was thinking that they had wayyyy too many applicants to be snooping about online....

For those you who got accepted last Friday, did your acceptance letter say anything about scholarships?