2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm, did it say anything about financial aid?
to clarify, i mean it just said that there was nothing else we needed to do for scholarships since we were already under consideration (idk why they bother mentioning this though since it seems like all scholarships go out with acceptance offers)

not sure about financial aid - I can go back and check!

Reactions: 1 users
to clarify, i mean it just said that there was nothing else we needed to do for scholarships since we were already under consideration (idk why they bother mentioning this though since it seems like all scholarships go out with acceptance offers)

not sure about financial aid - I can go back and check!
Not all scholarships go out with acceptances! I got a call 2 weeks after my acceptance that I got the Geffen!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one really knows what's going on with UCLA lol.

I think they have a scored internal rank for everyone interviewed there. The release acceptance base on that list. Since the 2/19 deadline is approaching for picking 3 top schools. I think there will be some movements soon.

I think they have a scored internal rank for everyone interviewed there. The release acceptance base on that list. Since the 2/19 deadline is approaching for picking 3 top schools. I think there will be some movements soon.
I thought the "pick 3 acceptances" day was April 15th and the "day schools must offer enough acceptances to fll their class" was March 15th? So I'm assuming the majority of movement will be between March 15th and May 1 (Decision day).

I thought the "pick 3 acceptances" day was April 15th and the "day schools must offer enough acceptances to fll their class" was March 15th? So I'm assuming the majority of movement will be between March 15th and May 1 (Decision day).

I believe you are correct. My understanding is that tool goes live on February 19th and schools can see if they're in your top 3 or not. This does not affect your ability to hold more than 3 acceptances. However, April 15th is when you need to give up all but 3 acceptances. April 30th is then the day that you choose 1 school.

Your assessment that most movement will occur between March 15th and May 1st sounds correct especially as by then all schools (including all the non-rolling schools) should have handed out their first round of acceptances.

Does anyone know how financing Second Look works? I thought schools payed for travel, but I didn't see any information about this in UCLA's email or on their second look site.

~East Coaster, haha

Does anyone know how financing Second Look works? I thought schools payed for travel, but I didn't see any information about this in UCLA's email or on their second look site.

~East Coaster, haha
I've never heard this before. Pretty sure you pay your own way. But I'd be happy to be wrong here lol.

Reactions: 2 users

Yah you are right. I just assume people will get on and do it right the way. But given the suspicious and overly cautious nature of neurotic premed students. You are prob right.

Members don't see this ad :)

~East Coaster, haha

Unfortunately, I think you'll need to book a flight ticket.... A road trip can also be fun if you going with a group of ppl ;)

~East Coaster, haha

Coming from the East Coast too. Also, if anyone wants to split a room/airbnb Thursday night (Not sure if we can stay with student hosts then since it wasn't on the survey.) hit me up!

Reactions: 1 user
just got a call from Dr. Hall! Got the geffen scholarship. LETS GOO!!

Reactions: 11 users
Sorry for not providing that information in the previous post. I interviewed mid-Dec. And no, I got accepted and geffen at the same time.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who was accepted get a financial aid estimate? How long did it take you?

Great, thank you! Do you know if UCLA is generous with financial aid? I am excited I got in, but I'm a little concerned about affordability.

I think they are generous. I got more money from them than any school I applied to in undergrad (haven’t heard back about fin aid for any other med school). That combined with the IS tuition (OOS can reclassify starting in MS2) makes it a really good deal for a world class institution. I also think their student budget is overestimated (I.e. they allocate 5K in transportation costs), so I don’t think you’ll need to borrow the full COA.

Anyone know if DGSOM formally tells you if you will be on the waitlist, or is it a de facto thing if you don't get accepted before second look day? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Anyone know if DGSOM formally tells you if you will be on the waitlist, or is it a de facto thing if you don't get accepted before second look day? Sorry if this has been asked before!

In years past, they haven't let their applicants know - e.g. my friend applied two years ago, interviewed in late September, and didn't hear back until he started med school in August. I think someone here posted that they will let applicants know that they have filled up their class and that we are on the waitlist.

I personally am just expecting the former and making plans to attend a different school unless a miracle happens.

Accepted as well! Received email to check status at 5:04pm CST.

Reactions: 4 users
Just learned that I won't be able to make it to Second Look bc of some family issues :(

Would anyone here be able to speak to the quality of advising at UCLA? One of my primary concerns with the school was that interview day felt a bit disorganized/impersonal; I'm worried that this might translate to getting "lost in the crowd" so to speak with regards to finding research/clinical mentors, etc. My undergrad advising experience was basically that meme of the dog walking itself, so I'm really hoping to attend a med school that's the opposite. Also, would it be very difficult to match back onto the East Coast from UCLA?

Trying to stay strong with my Mid-November silence crowd. However, I fear I am going to have to play the waitlist game :(

Reactions: 9 users
Ok...here’s my theory... they started interviewing in September and that crew had to weight till week of thanksgiving to get any news. That means they waited for almost 11 weeks.
Us mid November crew... 11 weeks would have meant the first week of February but we had two weeks of break... so like next week???
I’m being sooo hopeful that’s it’s not over...

Reactions: 2 users
Got a ****ty R today and this exchange really cheered me up. Blessings
I was rooting for you in that thread, ShaykhD. Keep your BDE high and keep on the fight.

Ok...here’s my theory... they started interviewing in September and that crew had to weight till week of thanksgiving to get any news. That means they waited for almost 11 weeks.
Us mid November crew... 11 weeks would have meant the first week of February but we had two weeks of break... so like next week???
I’m being sooo hopeful that’s it’s not over...

Actually, September crew here. No news whatsoever since interview..thanksgiving week or otherwise. I assume no news until this point is news in and of itself tho (I.e waitlist)

I was accepted and have decided to attend. I'm wondering if anyone has information about my next steps for housing/preparing for UCLA/is there a Facebook page?

I was accepted and have decided to attend. I'm wondering if anyone has information about my next steps for housing/preparing for UCLA/is there a Facebook page?
Facebook page: ucla dgsom class of 2023
Housing: application comes out in March
Preparing: look up the geffy guide

anyone else think room/board is ridiculously expensive (~25K a year)? COA for in-state comes out to ~70k. Is that too much or am I just misinformed?

Last edited:
anyone else think room/board is ridiculously expensive (~25K a year)? COA for in-state comes out to ~70k. Is that too much or am I just misinformed?
You're right. But they apparently give a lot of aid and typically their students graduate with wayyyyy less debt than the average.

Did you get accepted?

Any other acceptances recently?

Don't have any news, but I just want to say: I'm in the exact same boat. Minus meditation, so maybe I should try that! It's probably time for someone to call the admissions office to get an update.

Definitely recommend meditation. It's what got me through med school and applications!

Just called and was told that they are in the middle of the acceptance cycle and that they hope to notify us if we are waitlisted in april...
Also, it was said that they will continue accepting until their class is full.

Just called and was told that they are in the middle of the acceptance cycle and that they hope to notify us if we are waitlisted in april...
Also, it was said that they will continue accepting until their class is full.

Thank you for calling and reporting in here!

Wasn't aware this was a thing, but I just got a DGSOM travel award to get to 2nd look (april 5-6). Includes air travel, hotel, and transport to and from airport. D0pe.

Reactions: 3 users
Wasn't aware this was a thing, but I just got a DGSOM travel award to get to 2nd look (april 5-6). Includes air travel, hotel, and transport to and from airport. D0pe.
+1 super pumped now to attend. The hotel they put us in looks pretty tight too

Same! It’s insanely nice to get that out of the blue. Especially since I’m going cross-country. Much love for UCLA <3