2018-2019 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant.
  2. What activity or accomplishment are you MOST proud of?
  3. What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?
  4. Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)
  5. Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  6. Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)
  7. What kind of health care setting do you envision yourself working in?
  8. How do you see yourself contributing to the mission of the UCR School of Medicine?
  9. PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.
  10. If you click Yes for disadvantaged student -> Describe the manner in which your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, underserved communities . Please limit your response to 250 words
All 250 words.

Interview Feedback: University of California, Riverside - School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just submitted my primary today! Hoping to get some love as its my alma mater and im from the IE!

Rejected pre-secondary, good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
@ammo3 what were your stats? IS? Ties to the IE?
OOS now but lived in SD my whole life before college (no ties to IE)
I also probably didn't meet the chem prerequisite (I was just going out on a limb hoping they'd accept a semester of biochem in lieu of a semester of gen chem since they don't take AP so I'm sort of glad I didn't waste money on a secondary only to not meet the requirements later)

Rejected pre-secondary, good luck guys!
Did they send a rejection email or are you assuming b/c you haven't received a secondary? If it's the latter, don't lose hope! I'm sure they send them out in batches.

Did they send a rejection email or are you assuming b/c you haven't received a secondary? If it's the latter, don't lose hope! I'm sure they send them out in batches.
Nah I got a rejection email haha

Has anyone received II from here yet? I called and they said that IIs would be sent out at the beginning of this week...

Has anyone received II from here yet? I called and they said that IIs would be sent out at the beginning of this week...

By that do you meany secondary? I don't know anyone that's received a secondary from them yet. Since that one dude got rejected I'm sure they'll start sending them out soon

By that do you meany secondary? I don't know anyone that's received a secondary from them yet. Since that one dude got rejected I'm sure they'll start sending them out soon
yeah they told me they were going to start sending them out on the 9th but they must be a week late.

Has anyone received their secondary, yet?
Whenever you receive it, please post their prompts here!

Just received secondary! IS no IE ties

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received just now!
Here is the prompt. Each must be limited to 250 words.
1. Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth
2. Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)
3. What kind of health care setting do you envision yourself working in?
4. How do you see yourself contributing to the mission of the UCR School of Medicine?

Received Secondary

All 250 words
Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant.

What activity or accomplishment are you MOST proud of?

What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?

Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)

Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)

What kind of health care setting do you envision yourself working in?

How do you see yourself contributing to the mission of the UCR School of Medicine?

PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.

Would you describe yourself as a "disadvantaged candidate"? If yes an new tap opens up: Describe the manner in which your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, underserved communities. Please limit your response to 250 words

Reactions: 1 user
Got it. Instate, NorCal, no connection to IE. YEEEE:thumbup:.

Does anyone know what their screen is to receive a secondary?

Also got secondary. IS, LM 69, from the IE

Secondary received and submitted! Here's hoping. That was a total beast.

LM 70, IS, not from IE

Got off the phone with admissions earlier today (they were super nice by the way). They said for the Scholastic Activities section, they should be academic in nature (research, TA, etc.) and that you can either list them or include descriptions and what you got out of them, there's no wrong way to answer. Just submitted it! It's my top choice so hoping to hear good news from them

Does anyone know if we are supposed to re-enter all of our activities but just put them in the order of importance for the below prompt?

Extracurricular Interests and Activities
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

@conk I dont see that prompt in @Laix response with the secondary prompts. I haven't received a secondary as I am not verified yet but if you could update their list with anything it is missing I would greatly appreciate it.

@conk I dont see that prompt in @Laix response with the secondary prompts. I haven't received a secondary as I am not verified yet but if you could update their list with anything it is missing I would greatly appreciate it.
They have pulled all the activities from AMCAS application and below all that they state:
Activities
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

and give room to add: activity type, description (the box is super small so I am assuming just the name of the activity), start and end dates, hours

@conk Did you get an answer to your question? I'm curious too...

Does anyone know if we are supposed to re-enter all of our activities but just put them in the order of importance for the below prompt?

- Is this section intending to have us pick from the already entered ones and identify them as the "most important...to my growth" and order them in priority?
- Is this section giving room to add more than the (up to) 15 already entered?

"Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.) Please limit your response to 250 words"

Since there is already a question before that on challenge: "major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life", for this question would you answer another challenge or is this more specific to being a disadvantaged candidate?

@conk Did you get an answer to your question? I'm curious too...

- Is this section intending to have us pick from the already entered ones and identify them as the "most important...to my growth" and order them in priority?
- Is this section giving room to add more than the (up to) 15 already entered?
+1 on being super confused by UCR's activity page...

Reactions: 1 users
@conk and @nontradesc

I emailed to ask:)

Here is the answer:
"You are correct in your assumption, just pick those activities that are most important to you and rank in order of importance. You may also list any additional activities that are new and that you would like the admissions committee to be aware of."

What is everyone doing about the "Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)" prompt?

It feels like its optional to me... I don't really have any of those, and they already have a separate challenge essay

What is everyone doing about the "Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)" prompt?

It feels like its optional to me... I don't really have any of those, and they already have a separate challenge essay

I personally left it blank, didn't feel like it applied to me

secondary received! They sure know how to word an email to make a man feel special " Based on an initial review of your AMCAS application, we believe that you may be a good fit to our program and hope to get to know you better. "

secondary received! They sure know how to word an email to make a man feel special " Based on an initial review of your AMCAS application, we believe that you may be a good fit to our program and hope to get to know you better. "
When did you get the application received email?

Just got a secondary with an LM score of 67! IS, but no ties to the IE. I'm surprised.

This might be a dumb question but for biographical info, the college address section for your address while you are at college or your college's address. Confused b/c it says "if different from permanent address."

This might be a dumb question but for biographical info, the college address section for your address while you are at college or your college's address. Confused b/c it says "if different from permanent address."
Im pretty sure that only applies if you in college right now and live near your college (and not at home) and yes it would be your college apartment address.

Verified yesterday, 7/24 & then received secondary today at ~11:00AM!

Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)

Do they mean like clubs? Not sure what to put for this one.

Do they mean like clubs? Not sure what to put for this one.

I called them and asked, they said it's supposed to be anything academic in nature. So like research, TA/tutor, honors (i.e. Dean's List), etc. So if your club was just like a pre-med club or volunteer club or something then you would not talk about it for this prompt

Did anyone else's Application Status on the Home screen have another line pop up that says "Interview- Not Scheduled" with a little lock on it after submitting the secondary? Don't wanna get my hopes up lol.

Did anyone else's Application Status on the Home screen have another line pop up that says "Interview- Not Scheduled" with a little lock on it after submitting the secondary? Don't wanna get my hopes up lol.
+1 I have the lock. Everyone gets a lock according to last year's thread.

Last edited:
The realism is much appreciated lol. Thanks. Here's to hoping it becomes unlocked!