2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being scored just means a panel of reviewers have evaluated your app and given it a numerical score (see the video posted in this thread). Whether you get an interview or mot of course depends on how high your score was
What is the difference between being scored and getting an interview? Is there a delay between the two?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth me even applying at this point? Suddenly debating it after reading the thread. Sitting on the secondary for about a month now and 5 points below their MCAT median....above the GPA its worth anything lol.

Being scored just means a panel of reviewers have evaluated your app and given it a numerical score (see the video posted in this thread). Whether you get an interview or mot of course depends on how high your score was

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Can you link me to the video? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between being scored and getting an interview? Is there a delay between the two?

Your score is used to grant an interview - whoever has the top X number of scores when the Invites go out get invited to interview. This happens every couple weeks.

At least that’s how it worked when i applied back in the Stone Age (3) years ago. I think they may have tweaked/modified the system a bit in recent years.

Did you actually get a "Scored" status or just a "Has been reviewed" status?
So it basically went from "Application under review" to this long text saying "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March. "

Reactions: 2 users
My app status is "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March." So I'm assuming I'm already scored?

my application still isn't scored. It says its still under review. I was completed 7/14. Should I be concerned?

How do we upload photos?

Reactions: 1 user
Also, what's a good abbreviation for U of Miami? UMSOM? Can't find a commonly used one on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
if an experience overlaps between clinical experiences and volunteer, did you all keep the same description?

if an experience overlaps between clinical experiences and volunteer, did you all keep the same description?
I chose one or the other in that case. If you put it in both, just put a note that it was also listed in the other section so that it's not accidentally "double counted". As for descriptions, it should just be a basic description of what you did so I can't imagine that changing much based on classification

I chose one or the other in that case. If you put it in both, just put a note that it was also listed in the other section so that it's not accidentally "double counted". As for descriptions, it should just be a basic description of what you did so I can't imagine that changing much based on classification
thanks so much!

For anyone who is at the school. Is it viewed poorly if we leave paid employment blank?

Just decided to submit an app to the MD/MPH program as well!

For anyone who is at the school. Is it viewed poorly if we leave paid employment blank?
I obv don't go there but I highly doubt it - so many people haven't had paid employment I wouldn't worry about it

I obv don't go there but I highly doubt it - so many people haven't had paid employment I wouldn't worry about it
Yeah I would think it wouldn’t be a huge issue. If you were asked about it, it would be a good opportunity to humbly acknowledge the privileges you’ve had in your life but I doubt it would be a deal breaker

Just got an email from UM about a final admissions decision and my heart skipped a few beats thinking I was gonna get rejected. Turns out it was about closing my app from last cycle from the alternate list. Don't scare me like that Miller.

Reactions: 2 users
Oops, I did not realize Miller required CASPer. Just now sent in my score. Lol. I hope this doesn't delay my application. My status has said "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" even without CASPer.

Anyone get an interview yet?

Oops, I did not realize Miller required CASPer. Just now sent in my score. Lol. I hope this doesn't delay my application. My status has said "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" even without CASPer.

Anyone get an interview yet?
My status was like that before I even took CASPer. I have no idea why they mark you as complete without it.

Still have the "being reviewed", which was a change from "under review" I submitted between July 17-20...

My status was like that before I even took CASPer. I have no idea why they mark you as complete without it.
It's possible they're not using it at all in review since it's the first year

For the chronological lists did you guys just literally do
Activity/Date?
or
Activity/Description/Date?

For the chronological lists did you guys just literally do
Activity/Date?
or
Activity/Description/Date?
I wrote it all in paragraph form so this may not be the most ideal way to do it. Ex of General format:

'' As an underwater basket weaver, I wove baskets for the poor since none of the other weavers could swim. Through this experience, I improved my underwater breathing skills and eyesight all the while learning about the culture and technique involved in basket weaving. (2015-2018)"

I wrote it all in paragraph form so this may not be the most ideal way to do it. Ex of General format:

'' As an underwater basket weaver, I wove baskets for the poor since none of the other weavers could swim. Through this experience, I improved my underwater breathing skills and eyesight all the while learning about the culture and technique involved in basket weaving. (2015-2018)"
Hmm, makes sense, I think I am just going to leave it in list form for simplicity sake. I really dont think there is a preferred way lol *deducts 2 points off my score*

Na, there are a decent cohort of kids here who came strait from undergrad and didn’t have any real work experience.

Edit: to clarify, there are lots of ppl who did do work and non trads also. But I don’t think it hurts you that much to not have work experience assuming you have other relevant experiences

Hmm, makes sense, I think I am just going to leave it in list form for simplicity sake. I really dont think there is a preferred way lol *deducts 2 points off my score*
On the pdf that was sent they say to describe each activity so as long as you can figure out how to do that you’ll be fine

For what it’s worth UMMSM is used frequently
Yeah, I used UMMSM in my secondaries. I put UM MSOM in my sdn message as well because that is actually the abbreviation they used in their confirmation email.

Read through this thread and now faced with the dilemma of whether or not I should apply with an abysmal CARS score but with strong science sections and ECs. It would be unfortunate to invest so much time in one secondary for a snowballs chance of receiving an II.

Read through this thread and now faced with the dilemma of whether or not I should apply with an abysmal CARS score but with strong science sections and ECs. It would be unfortunate to invest so much time in one secondary for a snowballs chance of receiving an II.
What is your cars score?

Status changed yesterday so now my app is officially scored and it's time to wait. Has anyone gotten an II yet?

You’ll never know unless you try. I applied with a 124, still got a secondary. Hoping for an II but there’s so many other factors in this process that could be the reason you do or don’t get one that it may not make a difference

Status changed yesterday so now my app is officially scored and it's time to wait. Has anyone gotten an II yet?
I don't think they've started sending II's yet. I predict that some will go out this week.

You’ll never know unless you try. I applied with a 124, still got a secondary. Hoping for an II but there’s so many other factors in this process that could be the reason you do or don’t get one that it may not make a difference

true that. appreciate the encouragement :xf:

Anybody else in the same situation as me? I have been sitting on Miami's secondary for over a month and I am at the very edge of the hell that is completing all 35+ of my secondaries. As one of the very last ones (Duke being the other unfortunately), I certainly already hit the proverbial "wall" and am INCREDIBLY slow now (without any motivation).

I am trying to take solace in the fact that I am sure many haven't submitted a secondary here yet and many others probably never will. I am simply hoping that Miami isn't one of the select few that looks at secondary submission time as an indicator of interest. I just made a bad choice to leave my two hardest ones last (even though they are among my top choices lol).

Anybody else in the same situation as me? I have been sitting on Miami's secondary for over a month and I am at the very edge of the hell that is completing all 35+ of my secondaries. As one of the very last ones (Duke being the other unfortunately), I certainly already hit the proverbial "wall" and am INCREDIBLY slow now (without any motivation).

I am trying to take solace in the fact that I am sure many haven't submitted a secondary here yet and many others probably never will. I am simply hoping that Miami isn't one of the select few that looks at secondary submission time as an indicator of interest. I just made a bad choice to leave my two hardest ones last (even though they are among my top choices lol).
I was in the same spot. I submitted both after a month. Pretty sure they have good overlap so copy/paste should work out. I powered through these with sheer will power and a ton of coffee. I believe in you Apps!

Honestly I would say go for it. I personally still have two to submit as well (going to try to complete them by this Wednesday). In my eyes, it is better late than never! You can do it!

Not sure if someones asked this already, but did you all fill out every optional essay or just some, or none?

Also, when they ask for the chronological list, should we put a description? and how long? I feel like some has probably asked this but i can't find it in the thread. Thanks!

Not sure if someones asked this already, but did you all fill out every optional essay or just some, or none?

Also, when they ask for the chronological list, should we put a description? and how long? I feel like some has probably asked this but i can't find it in the thread. Thanks!
1.) Fill out the ones that apply to you. And by that I mean you have an experience that meaningfully contributes to your application and/or let's them get to know you as a person.

2.) Yes the pdf instructions ask for a brief description in the chronological lists. A single sentence should be fine. Just something to explain the experience that the actual title may not tell

Last edited:
1.) Fill out the ones that apply to you. And by that I mean you have an experience that meaningfully contributes to your application and/or let's them get to know you as a person.

2.) Yes the pdf intrusions ask for a brief description in the chronological lists. A single sentence should be fine. Just something to explain the experience that the actual title may not tell
Thank you!! I appreciate it