2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Application still says under review. Submitted Secondary around third week of July. Took Casper around the same time and scores were sent first week of August. I am wondering If I got a silent rejection or they just haven't looked/scored my app yet. I just don't get the order in which they are reviewing apps. Some submitted later but were scored and complete. This is one of my top schools.....so little anxious.

Members don't see this ad.

Application still says under review. Submitted Secondary around third week of July. Took Casper around the same time and scores were sent first week of August. I am wondering If I got a silent rejection or they just haven't looked/scored my app yet. I just don't get the order in which they are reviewing apps. Some submitted later but were scored and complete. This is one of my top schools.....so little anxious.
Hey! Looking at last years thread, people were invited for interviews and their apps werent scored according to the portal. It looks like sometimes it isnt updated properly. They also dont review in order! My twin bro and I are bith applying right now with virtually identical stats (LizzyM both between 76-77) and EC's and submitted the same day:his has been scored for a week and mine hasnt. Im sure they will get to your app! Just gotta keep your hopes up and try not to worry (which is hard I know).
Best wishes,
-Indianfatty

Hey! Looking at last years thread, people were invited for interviews and their apps werent scored according to the portal. It looks like sometimes it isnt updated properly. They also dont review in order! My twin bro and I are bith applying right now with virtually identical stats (LizzyM both between 76-77) and EC's and submitted the same day:his has been scored for a week and mine hasnt. Im sure they will get to your app! Just gotta keep your hopes up and try not to worry (which is hard I know).
Best wishes,
-Indianfatty

Thanks so much! I'm crossing my fingers. SDN is really helpful, but sometimes you just have to stay off for reasons like this and not read into things too much. Can add unnecessary stress.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with lifelong experience. I ended up writing about Art for that essay and just kinda chronicled how art has impacted my life since childhood up until now. I think it's great if you can tie it to medicine, but I've read from others not to force it if it doesn't work to do so. UM's secondary is ridiculous but I think it's because they really want to get to know as much as possible about you.
For the optional secondary prompts asking for descriptions involving sports/fine arts, is it appropriate to talk about earlier life experiences? Ie I've played basketball since the age of 6 and although I continued playing IM in college, tearing my ACL in high school significantly effected me and influenced my desire to pursue medicine.

Should I just write a quick blurb on playing IM in college? Or would it be appropriate to write about my lifelong experience and passion for the sport?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Still not scored. I know it doesn't necessarily indicate anything, but it does seem that people are scored before receiving an II.

In spite of whether they score me or not, I will say this particular secondary was instrumental in wording out all sorts of important thoughts about my EC's, so no regrets.

I walk by the med school daily, cmon Miami, send me some love :)

Take a picture of the admissions office every day and email it to them. Like stalking an ex they will either think it's romantic or creepy. Either way you get their attention ;)

Reactions: 4 users

You should bring us cookies on your way past.

I have absolutely no influence on admissions but I want cookies. Will send good thoughts for love to be shown though!

I’ve finally been scored! I didn’t give a description of each activity because I didn’t thoroughly read the pdf. Hopefully that doesn’t mess up my odds at an interview

I’ve finally been scored! I didn’t give a description of each activity because I didn’t thoroughly read the pdf. Hopefully that doesn’t mess up my odds at an interview
How long did it take?

Received an II email but I'm not sure how to schedule the interview. What are you supposed to see when you login to the portal?

Submitted 08/28 - IS, 72.30.

Congrats on the IIs all

Hoping my Midwestern tundra background will contribute to diversity and lead to an II

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the interview invites work? I selected my dates but typically, how soon do they respond and confirm a date?
I got my dates confirmed on the same day.

For those of you who have received the II's and the confirmation emails have any of you been granted access to 'The Hub' (The APP where we'll be getting the rest of our interview info). If so, how long after the confirmation email was sent?

Received an II email but I'm not sure how to schedule the interview. What are you supposed to see when you login to the portal?

Submitted 08/28 - IS, 72.30.

There was a drop-down menu on the portal so that you can select dates in order of preference and then once you do that they'll email you a confirmation of which of those days you'll actually be attending.

There was a drop-down menu on the portal so that you can select dates in order of preference and then once you do that they'll email you a confirmation of which of those days you'll actually be attending.

Thank you! How is everyone else who got the II preparing?

My app was scored for a few days, but now my status went back to "currently being reviewed" for the past week. Has this happened to anyone else?

My app was scored for a few days, but now my status went back to "currently being reviewed" for the past week. Has this happened to anyone else?
Who knows what's going on with this portal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you get an email notifying that your app was scored?

Is it too late to apply to this school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So for the required courses, it says to list the "course name." But then for the example they give it's the course number. Which one should I put? Course number makes more sense but it straight up says "course name."

Also, it says "+ Labs" for required courses and then says "Do not enter lab courses in this prerequisites section" lol. So just put the lectures there and they'll look at the primary for the labs?

sorry did anyone answer this question?

This could be nothing, but I want to make sure. My application has been complete for about 6 weeks. When I go to view my secondary app, the MD Only application has a red colored highlight, and my MPH section of the app has a Green highlighted color. I wanted to see if this means there is something incomplete with my MD-Only portion of the app since it is highlted in red/pink, or if this means nothing at all. Anyone know?

thanks!

This could be nothing, but I want to make sure. My application has been complete for about 6 weeks. When I go to view my secondary app, the MD Only application has a red colored highlight, and my MPH section of the app has a Green highlighted color. I wanted to see if this means there is something incomplete with my MD-Only portion of the app since it is highlted in red/pink, or if this means nothing at all. Anyone know?

thanks!
Do you have check marks next to all of the things for the MD?

Did U have any issues logging in? Mine keeps
Yes, I got the email today.

Did u have any issues logging in? Mine only gives me the option to “LOGIN VIA SSO” and then doesn’t let me into the app. Help ): can’t get on

Hey all, I just got an interview for Miller's MD/MPH Program! Woohoo!

I was wondering if any of you have advice on the traveling logistics- the regional campus is 1 hour away from Miami Miller main campus....should I stay in another hotel Monday night? or should I drive up the Tuesday morning? Any advice is appreciated :)

Reactions: 2 users
Still not scored, submitted mid-July. Anyone else?

I know it's not necessarily indicative, but I'm just curious as to who is in the same situation.

Anyone know if they do student hosts for the interview?

Yes, last year you could send an email to request a host, and they sent out a google form that you could fill out to request a host. I don't think that's been organized yet though, or at least no one has asked us to sign up to be hosts

I was wondering if any of you have advice on the traveling logistics- the regional campus is 1 hour away from Miami Miller main campus....should I stay in another hotel Monday night? or should I drive up the Tuesday morning? Any advice is appreciated :)

I would recommend staying in a separate hotel/lodging near the regional campus, if you can. It's a bit of a trip up from Miami (especially if its during rush hour) and while it's doable to drive up morning of from Miami, you'll be less stressed in the morning if you do the traveling the day before. Some people have their interview in the morning at the regional campus, but you won't know for sure which day you have it until the first interview day. I stayed with student hosts for my interview (one in Miami, one at the regional campus) and it worked out well.

In their website it says they do status checks Monday-Thur 2-5 to verify if an applicant is complete, but I was just curious if you can call and ask if your application has been scored, invited to interview, etc.
Oh, usually your portal tells you plus I think I got a complete email. Guess it can't hurt to ask

I am a miami native and I would definitely suggest staying in a hotel in the area vs. driving up the morning of. The traffic in miami is so unpredictable and the last thing you need the day of your interview is to be stressed out and late! Goodluck and congrats!

Did U have any issues logging in? Mine keeps

Did u have any issues logging in? Mine only gives me the option to “LOGIN VIA SSO” and then doesn’t let me into the app. Help ): can’t get on
Mine works just fine.You might want to call them

Hey, y'all. I have some questions about the chronological lists on the secondary application.

1. Do we need to provide a description? If so, should I just copy and paste from the Work and Activities section of AMCAS?

2. There's a lot of overlap between these chronological lists and prompts 1 (clinical experience) and 10 (most meaningful involvement in student organizations). How did y'all approach this?

Thanks!

Hey, y'all. I have some questions about the chronological lists on the secondary application.

1. Do we need to provide a description? If so, should I just copy and paste from the Work and Activities section of AMCAS?

2. There's a lot of overlap between these chronological lists and prompts 1 (clinical experience) and 10 (most meaningful involvement in student organizations). How did y'all approach this?

Thanks!
1.) A short one or two sentence description is fine, especially for things that aren't sel-explanatory by title alone. Don't ever copy/paste from your primary, it looks lazy

2.)overlap has to be approached on an individual basis. Sometimes if something is already very well described it's worth just moving on to a different topic for a similar prompt (ie. Put your second most meaningful student org if your first most meaningful is already beat to death). If you do repeat activities always approach them from a new angle with a different "lesson learned". A common and great way to do this would be talk about leadership/teamwork for one prompt and talk about what you actually do for the other prompt (ie. Community outreach, cultural promotion, sports, etc.)

You don't want to make that drive/travel the morning of. The traffic is enough to make you want to run yourself off the road and take out every other car in the immediate vicinity. If you can arrange travel the night before, I'd do that. In terms of lodging, you can do hotels in either location or students hosts.

1.) A short one or two sentence description is fine, especially for things that aren't sel-explanatory by title alone. Don't ever copy/paste from your primary, it looks lazy

2.)overlap has to be approached on an individual basis. Sometimes if something is already very well described it's worth just moving on to a different topic for a similar prompt (ie. Put your second most meaningful student org if your first most meaningful is already beat to death). If you do repeat activities always approach them from a new angle with a different "lesson learned". A common and great way to do this would be talk about leadership/teamwork for one prompt and talk about what you actually do for the other prompt (ie. Community outreach, cultural promotion, sports, etc.)

Thank you so much! I agree with you, but it's been hard not to copy/paste for essays that ask, for example, about the "most meaningful clinical experience" (especially if it's for a school that has 8+ essays). I thought I had to give a longer description of the activities, but if it's a sentence or two, it will be easier to paraphrase from AMCAS. Thanks again :).

Do you mind sharing your stats?

How bad is it if I didn't provide a description for the lists and just put a title and dates?