2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How bad is it if I didn't provide a description for the lists and just put a title and dates?
It's probably not the end of the world. Might show that you get too excited about getting a secondary though since you didn't read the attached pdf;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Around how long does it take to get scored here? Submitted early September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Around how long does it take to get scored here? Submitted early September.
At this rate you and I might be scored by Christmas. Submitted early august and still nothing lol. So much for only 3k people with complete apps

Hey all, I just got an interview for Miller's MD/MPH Program! Woohoo!

I was wondering if any of you have advice on the traveling logistics- the regional campus is 1 hour away from Miami Miller main campus....should I stay in another hotel Monday night? or should I drive up the Tuesday morning? Any advice is appreciated :)

Yeah do you mind sharing your stats and complete date? I submitted for MD MPH in August and have not been scored. Lizzy M 69-70.

Helllo team - interviewing for MD & MD/MPH on September 24 & 25. I have a rental car I am picking up Monday night in Miami and driving up to the regional location either that night or the next morning. PM me if you want to carpool and we can coordinate & split costs!

Go here. Type in your information. It will say at the bottom whether the adcom has scored you or not.
so if it says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" then I am not scored, correct?

Highest composite score is just the general score adding the four sections, right?

Highest composite score is just the general score adding the four sections, right?
Yup. They ask that in case you have taken multiple MCATs, but the website says "The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine will use your highest combined score from a single date that you took the MCAT examination. This is also referred to as a single series."

so if it says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" then I am not scored, correct?
Correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I know that a lot of people may have asked this already but does this status mean I am scored, "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March. "

Thanks in advanced

Yep

For those of you still under review - don't worry.

I submitted mid-July, days after they sent out the secondary, and am still not scored. I'm pretty sure it's not in chronological order so I wouldn't worry about your secondary submission date being the issue. Whatever comes will come. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I know you guys are super frustrated. This process is the absolute worst and I get it but you guys gotta chill on the all this scoring and status change business. There's honestly no rhyme or reason for applicants and I'd wish they'd do away with it or make it make more sense.

Ultimately, if they're going to send you an II, they'll send you one. No amount knowing your status is going to change that.

Reactions: 8 users
For those of you still under review - don't worry.

I submitted mid-July, days after they sent out the secondary, and am still not scored. I'm pretty sure it's not in chronological order so I wouldn't worry about your secondary submission date being the issue. Whatever comes will come. Good luck!
Have a lot of schools stopped reviewing applications in order?

Also, you have -5 IIs? y i k e s

:)

Have a lot of schools stopped reviewing applications in order?

Also, you have -5 IIs? y i k e s

:)
Yes, I 'd say at this point, very few schools still review apps in order. It kinda puts a damper on the whole ' submit as soon as possible' thing

Yes, I 'd say at this point, very few schools still review apps in order. It kinda puts a damper on the whole ' submit as soon as possible' thing

I'd still submit early just so they have it. We don't know the exact process but we have seen countless individuals not fare so well as late applicants.

Still worth submitting a secondary? Ive been sitting on this one for so long...

I'm suprised no one's gotten an II from here in a while at least for regular MD. Maybe they send them out all in batches

i’ve been scored for the md-mph program but not the md program yet. does anyone know what that means?

i’ve been scored for the md-mph program but not the md program yet. does anyone know what that means?
that the md-mph people are faster at reading apps than normal md people...

Maybe it's a glitch in their system. I'm MD only and I haven't been scored since I submitted in early July.

Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April).

Just got this today between about 5 pm (when I last checked) and now. Miami is my number 1 choice so I'm hoping for the best!
Lizzie M~ 70-71, Non-trad, FL Resident, Complete Late July

Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April).

Just got this today between about 5 pm (when I last checked) and now. Miami is my number 1 choice so I'm hoping for the best!

I wonder if they can see how many times we neurotically check our status...

can they actually? how do you know?

I'm guessing they can track how many times you login to the portal

LOL. Sorry, but I was just joshing you all (Let's see how many years this "fact" comes up in UM threads).

I have no idea if they can, but I know a few members who read apps and the workload is so high that I really doubt they care about something that insignificant even if they could see it (which they probably can't. IT isn't a shining star here.)

Reactions: 2 users
Still under review :( Been complete for a long time.

Still under review :( Been complete for a long time.
I've been complete for over two months. There really is no point in stressing at this moment. We're either rejected or gonna get an II in the near future. Stressing and neurotically refreshing the status is only gonna cause you physical, emotional, and mental stress that will just make your daily life more miserable. Instead of telling you "don't stress," I suggest you ignore sdn and your portals. If you hear back from a school, you'll get an email. Go play tennis outside, talk with your mum, play with your dog.

I'm telling you this as much as I'm telling myself :)

Reactions: 4 users
Fïance and I received II this morning! Me for MD, her for MD/MPH. We are over the moon excited!

Reactions: 11 users

Does that quote mean you were scored?

Looks like this school has an IS preferance. Out of the 8k apps submitted last year. 25% of them were IS yet comprised over half of the final class. Even if we assume only half the applicants filled out the secondary, I wonder if oos applicants are at a disadvantage

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf
Historically yes, however they stated that since they are no longer receiving state funding, there will be no more in-state preference.

Looks like this school has an IS preferance. Out of the 8k apps submitted last year. 25% of them were IS yet comprised over half of the final class. Even if we assume only half the applicants filled out the secondary, I wonder if oos applicants are at a disadvantage

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

Hi. I am an MS1 here. You are right about our final class size. I would have to say that the IS preference has more to do with the fact that in-state students are more likely to target this school as a top choice and likely put more effort into their applications etc. If given multiple offers (which a large majority of our matriculating class had), students are more likely to matriculate into a school in their state, and UM seems to be a desirable school. Florida has a lot of applicants to medical school but we also have a lot of medical schools, so a ton of us stay in state. I am not denying that there isn't any instate preference from the perspective of admissions (I honestly have no clue), but if this is a target school for you I encourage you to apply with your best application (I know this secondary is quite a beast).

If anyone has any questions about my experiences so far please let me know. Best of luck to everyone!

Historically yes, however they stated that since they are no longer receiving state funding, there will be no more in-state preference.

Wait when was the state funding part confirmed? I feel like they will still have some preference at least courtesy of the fact that they’re a FL school

Hi. I am an MS1 here. You are right about our final class size. I would have to say that the IS preference has more to do with the fact that in-state students are more likely to target this school as a top choice and likely put more effort into their applications etc. If given multiple offers (which a large majority of our matriculating class had), students are more likely to matriculate into a school in their state, and UM seems to be a desirable school. Florida has a lot of applicants to medical school but we also have a lot of medical schools, so a ton of us stay in state. I am not denying that there isn't any instate preference from the perspective of admissions (I honestly have no clue), but if this is a target school for you I encourage you to apply with your best application (I know this secondary is quite a beast).

If anyone has any questions about my experiences so far please let me know. Best of luck to everyone!

Ya I guess you’re right. Quick question for you, does your chance of an acceptance (oos) go down the later it gets here too? I know some schools only realese acceptances on certain days to give everyone a fair chance regardless of date interviewed . It also looks like reviewing is taking forever here

For what it’s worth, the high percentage of in state students is more noticeable in the MD track. I don’t recall the exact number but a huge percentage of us in the MD/MPH track are from out of state.

So how do we know for sure if we are interviewing at the main or regional campus? I received an MD interview and have not receiving anything which confirms the exact location of my interview.

For those that have interviewed here already, did they mention anything about sending thank you emails to your interviewer? The day-of interview package doesn't mention anything.

For those that have interviewed here already, did they mention anything about sending thank you emails to your interviewer? The day-of interview package doesn't mention anything.
In The Hub they say to address it to Admissions — Interviewer (it’s in the Planning your interview part). Their name should be in the itinerary.

So how do we know for sure if we are interviewing at the main or regional campus? I received an MD interview and have not receiving anything which confirms the exact location of my interview.

If you applied MD-only then your interview is on the main campus. If you got II for both then your interview will likely be at the regional campus.

Not necessary but you can if you want.

Are there any MD and MD/MPH applicants interviewing this coming week that are NOT doing it at the palm beach campus ?
and also does anyone know what we are going to be doing Day 1 of the interview if we are interviewing on day 2? The HUB schedule isn't super clear

Are there any MD and MD/MPH applicants interviewing this coming week that are NOT doing it at the palm beach campus ?
and also does anyone know what we are going to be doing Day 1 of the interview if we are interviewing on day 2? The HUB schedule isn't super clear

If you interview day 2, you go through all the presentations, tours etc. of the first interview day with everyone else, you just don't go an interview with a faculty interviewer (you might finish a bit earlier than other people, depending on how they scheduled the interviews). You'll then show up earlier for day 2 than anyone who isn't interviewing, do your interview, and then go through all the presentations/tours of the regional campus with the rest of the group who interviewed on day 1.