2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the MD alternate list this morning (went on in November)! My fiancè and I are now both admitted!!! :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Can any of the MS1-4 add us to the FB group?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the MD alternate list this morning (went on in November)! My fiancè and I are now both admitted!!! :soexcited:

Congratulations!!! That’s awesome that you and your fiancé can both attend together!

Good news everyone!

Admin just announced that starting with the class of 2023 (you all), pre-clinical courses will all be Pass Fail only. Transcripts will no longer include a numerical grade, and preclinical grades won’t be used in class rank. Students will still get numerical grades for the clinical clerkships during year 3, similar to most other medical schools.

:soexcited:

Reactions: 16 users
View attachment 256621

Good news everyone!

Admin just announced that starting with the class of 2023 (you all), pre-clinical courses will all be Pass Fail only. Transcripts will no longer include a numerical grade, and preclinical grades won’t be used in class rank. Students will still get numerical grades for the clinical clerkships during year 3, similar to most other medical schools.

Wow awesome news, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 256621

Good news everyone!

This is a game changer for them, so glad it goes into effect for our class!!

View attachment 256621

Good news everyone!

Do you have a source?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, do we not get an invite?

I have not either. I spoke with someone in admissions earlier this week who suggested that I email her requesting the invitation and that she would pass it along to the woman who organizes 2nd look day (so that that woman can send me an invite). I asked the person that I spoke to when it was so that I could make travel plans (flights) and she gave me the date and overview of the weekend, so I would assumed based on that that we are invited.

I have not either. I spoke with someone in admissions earlier this week who suggested that I email her requesting the invitation and that she would pass it along to the woman who organizes 2nd look day (so that that woman can send me an invite). I asked the person that I spoke to when it was so that I could make travel plans (flights) and she gave me the date and overview of the weekend, so I would assumed based on that that we are invited.
Can you message me the schedule they gave you? Also, are a Vandy alum? (Guessing from your username)

Can you message me the schedule they gave you? Also, are a Vandy alum? (Guessing from your username)
I also have not gotten an official "invite" but asked the admissions office via email and got this reply:

Event Times:
4/11-Thursday 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Opening Reception
4/12-Friday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM Second Look Day
4/13-Saturday 10:00 AM -11:00 AM Apartment walking tour

Just a heads up, I tried to RSVP (accepted months ago) and was told that they had to close registration because they are at capacity for the auditorium seating so.... Yeah... Very disappointing

Does anyone know if there's a facebook group for the entering class of 2023, either for the MD or the MD/MPH? I can't go to second look, but haven't found or heard anything and am anxious to connect with other admitted students! If there is one, any idea how to get added?

Does anyone know if there's a facebook group for the entering class of 2023, either for the MD or the MD/MPH? I can't go to second look, but haven't found or heard anything and am anxious to connect with other admitted students! If there is one, any idea how to get added?
There should be one, but I know myself and a few other recently admitted students are waiting to be added to the group...

I also have not gotten an official "invite" but asked the admissions office via email and got this reply:

Event Times:
4/11-Thursday 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Opening Reception
4/12-Friday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM Second Look Day
4/13-Saturday 10:00 AM -11:00 AM Apartment walking tour
Does anyone know where we meet for these? Or are we expecting a more detailed email about it Monday?

Just a heads up, I tried to RSVP (accepted months ago) and was told that they had to close registration because they are at capacity for the auditorium seating so.... Yeah... Very disappointing

I called on Friday, and I can confirm that they have reached capacity for the day

They’ve reached capacity for all of 2nd Look or just Thursday?

I believe that the events on campus are on Friday, and those events have reached capacity (the have literally ran out of seats for people to sit in). Basically, if you have not received an official invitation/ have not RSVP'ed do NOT assume that you will be able to attend the on campus second look day (Friday). I do not know about availability for the events on Thursday/ Saturday, and I'm only a student, so everything that I know is second hand knowledge from the office of admissions.

What’s the best way to get from FLL to Miami? Debating renting a car but wondering if Uber/Lyft would be better

Uber/Lyft is possible, but will be between 40-70 depending on the time you arrive. You might be looking at 120-150 in total on uber just to and from the airport. If you're going to be moving around Miami, Ubers could be 15 each so it really depends on how much you plan on traveling.

Uber/Lyft is possible, but will be between 40-70 depending on the time you arrive. You might be looking at 120-150 in total on uber just to and from the airport. If you're going to be moving around Miami, Ubers could be 15 each so it really depends on how much you plan on traveling.
It is much cheaper to take the Tri-rail and metro rail to get to Miller from the airport, but it'll take longer. There is a shuttle from FLL that will take you to the Tri-Rail station. Then you can take the Tri-rail Southbound and transfer to the Metro-rail which will take you down to Miller campus, Brickell, etc.

Likewise, moving around the city is more cost-efficient when you're closer to the Metro rail. During morning and evening rush hour, the Metro trains arrived every like 10-15 minutes if I recall correctly. Florida public transit is nowhere near as extensive as big cities like NYC or Chicago but once you figure it out and plan accordingly you're good.

Withdrew recently, so for anyone on the waitlist/alternate list hope you guys hear good news soon. I went to UM undergrad so this was tough to let go of my alma mater medical school. I'll be happy to answer questions people have about the Gables area to the best of my ability.

Uber pool should be cheaper though. I want to say I paid 20?

So one of the medical students in the Facebook group mentioned that - for guys of course - that we should wear a dress shirt and pants with nice shoes for 2nd Look. Should we still dress somewhat formal for the apartment walking tour on Saturday or can we wear a more relaxed look on that day?

So one of the medical students in the Facebook group mentioned that - for guys of course - that we should wear a dress shirt and pants with nice shoes for 2nd Look. Should we still dress somewhat formal for the apartment walking tour on Saturday or can we wear a more relaxed look on that day?
Definitely more relaxed. Shirt and slacks Friday just because all the deans/important people will be there.

You’re already accepted also - providing its not absurdly inappropriate you can wear whatever you want. What are they gonna do? Reject you for dressing like a scrub on 2nd look day?

Definitely more relaxed. Shirt and slacks Friday just because all the deans/important people will be there.

You’re already accepted also - providing its not absurdly inappropriate you can wear whatever you want. What are they gonna do? Reject you for dressing like a scrub on 2nd look day?
They could LOL

I just received an invite to second look. Check your emails

We can bring a guest for the Saturday apartment tour right?

Does anyone know if there are other ways to get added to the facebook page? I have e-mailed admissions three times now about it, and haven't received a response yet.

Does anyone know if there are other ways to get added to the facebook page? I have e-mailed admissions three times now about it, and haven't received a response yet.
I'm pretty sure anyway can invite you. If you want, you can PM me your facebook name and I could add you

The email you used on your AMCAS (and/or secondary?) application has to be associated with your Facebook account. They just added several people yesterday so I’m wondering if they sent you an invite but to the wrong email address

Look at the last year SDN thread. That’s what I saw. Also not everything on the MSAR is totally true. UM has had that exact WL information on MSAR every year. There’s simply no way only 40 people are on the waitlist and 30 come off. It could be that someone just needed to fill it in and had limited data when their MSAR report was due.

Disregard the semantics of waitlist vs alternate list. We all know how UM’s alt list works.

I am not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but the new MSAR is up and the wait-list information has been updated for Miller. These new numbers are more accurate it seems. Last year they had 300 people on the waitlist and accepted 50 from that.

I am not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but the new MSAR is up and the wait-list information has been updated for Miller. These new numbers are more accurate it seems. Last year they had 300 people on the waitlist and accepted 50 from that.
that sounds more like it lol

I wonder if that means 300 got the alternate list email last year

I haven't received a financial aid package or scholarship information, and without it, I will have to let Miami go :(. Chances I hear before Monday?

Had a wonderful time in Miami for Second Look. Miller is a fantastic school with great people. But alas, my heart is pulling me elsewhere. Here's to hoping Bascom Palmer will bring me back. Good luck to those on the waitlists!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted from the waitlist! Interviewed early March

• Love
Reactions: 4 users