2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a wonderful time in Miami for Second Look. Miller is a fantastic school with great people. But alas, my heart is pulling me elsewhere. Here's to hoping Bascom Palmer will bring me back. Good luck to those on the waitlists!
May I ask where you’re going instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do UM students end up taking out additional loans?

I loved second look and really like the program but the cost of living is expensive (tuition isn’t even that bad)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused about the traffic rules. Do we need to specify "plan to enroll" on april 30th? When do we need to commit to enroll by?

I'm confused about the traffic rules. Do we need to specify "plan to enroll" on april 30th? When do we need to commit to enroll by?

To my understanding, after April 30th, you can hold only one acceptance (you can still keep your WLs, BUT only if you just select "Plan to Enroll" and not "Commit to Enroll"). Now, most schools are not asking to "Commit to Enroll" by April 30th (most of them are just asking us to indicate "Plan to Enroll"), but some may. You need to check with your schools and follow their requirements. Most schools I've interviewed at ask to commit to them at least 2 weeks before classes start. Thus, the "Commit to Enroll" due date vary a lot among schools. Once you commit to enroll at a school, you also need to drop your WLs. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I was recently accepted this week off the alternate list. Could someone please post or pm me the facebook page? Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I was recently accepted this week off the alternate list. Could someone please post or pm me the facebook page? Thanks!
Hey! I'm trying to PM you but it doesn't allow me. PM me.

I was accepted off alternate list for MD/MPH. Does this mean I am no longer under consideration for MD?

Accepted this morning and matriculating. What an insane journey this has been.

Reactions: 14 users
Just curious if anyone has heard back from late March interviews? Mine was 3/25. I'm on "your app will be reviewed for the last time" message on the portal.

Does Miller have an online store to purchase merchandise/apparel? Asking for my mom lol

Unfortunately no. There are a couple things on the main campus but most of our stuff is created by students orgs as fundraising.

Do UM students end up taking out additional loans?

I loved second look and really like the program but the cost of living is expensive (tuition isn’t even that bad)

COL is expensive but loans will cover up to cost of attendance which includes the cost of living. Most students have roommates. I won't lie, it gets tight but it's very doable.

I was accepted off alternate list for MD/MPH. Does this mean I am no longer under consideration for MD?

You're still being considered for MD only. The two tracts consider students separately.

Accepted this morning and matriculating. What an insane journey this has been.

It's gets crazier lol

Unfortunately no. There are a couple things on the main campus but most of our stuff is created by students orgs as fundraising.

COL is expensive but loans will cover up to cost of attendance which includes the cost of living. Most students have roommates. I won't lie, it gets tight but it's very doable.

You're still being considered for MD only. The two tracts consider students separately.

It's gets crazier lol

do you know if they will still be continuing meetings and considering more people on the alternate lists after today? still waiting on the wait list for both programs and hoping i get in!

Do you mind sharing your stats? I’m hoping to hear back about a merit scholarship, so knowing would help me gauge whether or not that’d be a possibility lol
3.7/515 hispanic. you should keep in mind I have pretty unique and extensive clinical experiences. My EC's were pretty good so I think that made up for my fairly average stats.

EDIT: also important i guess is that I had another 50% offer and I emailed Weisman directly to ask if a scholarship from Miller was a possibility

guys i need help. been getting really conflicting information from people. I first got a 50% scholarship from another school and then emailed Weisman to let him know. I got offered a matching 50% from UM which im super grateful and never expected. some family/friends seem to think i should tell the other school to see if they can increase their initial offer. in the rare case they offer me lets say 75% some people think i should then use that new number to negotiate with UM. i really dont think i should do that because i feel unbelievably lucky to have gotten 50% from UM. Miller was my top choice so i reallly dont wanna push it. any thoughts?

guys i need help. been getting really conflicting information from people. I first got a 50% scholarship from another school and then emailed Weisman to let him know. I got offered a matching 50% from UM which im super grateful and never expected. some family/friends seem to think i should tell the other school to see if they can increase their initial offer. in the rare case they offer me lets say 75% some people think i should then use that new number to negotiate with UM. i really dont think i should do that because i feel unbelievably lucky to have gotten 50% from UM. Miller was my top choice so i reallly dont wanna push it. any thoughts?

I mean, in my opinion you’re going to look like an ass if you go hey they raised their offer to 75% (which would be obvious to UM that it was prompted by you corresponding with them about other offers to get it raised again), so can you give me that too? Right after you asked them to match half tuition. I think it will be easy to tell you’re using one school straight up just to get more money. Be happy you even got a scholarship with those stats. Any non URM with average stats has to go with all loans even if they are not well off, so I’d say leave that one alone....

This could be delicate. Yes, you can certainly tell school X and ask if it's possible for you to get additional funds. Maybe you'll get more from School X. But what if you go back to Dean Weisman and he says "no more money"? You've now turned down an easy choice of "top choice/lowest cost" into a more difficult one of "how much is my top choice worth?" Is Miami worth 25% tuition to you? 50% tuition? What if School X gave you COA? If you could see yourself at School X or Miami then by all means ask. But know that if Miami refuses to up the scholarship you've made the decision more difficult.

I mean, in my opinion you’re going to look like an ass if you go hey they raised their offer to 75% (which would be obvious to UM that it was prompted by you corresponding with them about other offers to get it raised again), so can you give me that too? Right after you asked them to match half tuition. I think it will be easy to tell you’re using one school straight up just to get more money. Be happy you even got a scholarship with those stats. Any non URM with average stats has to go with all loans even if they are not well off, so I’d say leave that one alone....
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I mean I low balled my stats for anonymity but your point still holds true. Thanks

There’s no harm in continuing negotiations in light of new information. That’s what common sense dictates

Careful

do you know if they will still be continuing meetings and considering more people on the alternate lists after today? still waiting on the wait list for both programs and hoping i get in!

I have no idea.

it's def worth it to see if the other school will go up to 75% but I wouldn't then come back to UM with another percentage after they've already upped the ante but then again, it's not like they will reject you lol

Yes. Careful.

*Sigh* Merit scholarships do not depend only on stats. Furthermore, we have no idea how much else DetailFanatic brings to the table. But we do know that DetailFanatic has earned the right to negotiate the best value for his or her medical education. The fact that School X offered a scholarship suggests that. The fact that UMiami matched school X's scholarship proves that. As long as you are tactful, respectful, and humble in your correspondence, I see no reason why you can't bring up a larger offer to Miami if it comes to that. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. Let us see what School X does...

Yes. Careful.

*Sigh* Merit scholarships do not depend only on stats. Furthermore, we have no idea how much else DetailFanatic brings to the table. But we do know that DetailFanatic has earned the right to negotiate the best value for his or her medical education. The fact that School X offered a scholarship suggests that. The fact that UMiami matched school X's scholarship proves that. As long as you are tactful, respectful, and humble in your correspondence, I see no reason why you can't bring up a larger offer to Miami if it comes to that. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. Let us see what School X does...

that doesnt change the fact that in this situation, one school is being used to leverage offers at another. any adcom on here will tell you that usually isnt looked at too kindly, and to do it twice? if he wants to be push his luck thats fine though

also, im aware merit scholarships arent just about stats, but like med school admissions, its mostly just about stats.

Does anyone know how being put on the alternate list works? I thought everyone from the same interview date gets scored and then either accepted or waitlisted one the same list. If I was waitlisted before people on my same interview date have been accepted or waitlisted does that mean I’m super low on the alternate list?

that doesnt change the fact that in this situation, one school is being used to leverage offers at another. any adcom on here will tell you that usually isnt looked at too kindly, and to do it twice? if he wants to be push his luck thats fine though

also, im aware merit scholarships arent just about stats, but like med school admissions, its mostly just about stats.
Well leveraging an offer to another school once isn’t bad at all. It’s rational and common sense to do it and you should do it. But I agree that twice is too much.

s
Well leveraging an offer to another school once isn’t bad at all. It’s rational and common sense to do it and you should do it. But I agree that twice is too much.

Congrats on the 50 though..thats so awesome.

Does anyone know how being put on the alternate list works? I thought everyone from the same interview date gets scored and then either accepted or waitlisted one the same list. If I was waitlisted before people on my same interview date have been accepted or waitlisted does that mean I’m super low on the alternate list?

What day did you interview ?

I’m not sure if I’m wrong, but I’m prettt sure if you email Weisman directly he’ll be honest about your chances. As in like you should explore other opportunities or if you should keep your spot

"Push his luck?" No one is going to rescind the acceptance.

Meh, a few schools explicitly mention that merit scholarships have nothing to do with stats. Looking at my LizzyM, that's probably true. I mean we're not discussing WashU here.

Hey it's your decision. Congrats on getting the scholarship!

I’m not sure if I’m wrong, but I’m prettt sure if you email Weisman directly he’ll be honest about your chances. As in like you should explore other opportunities or if you should keep your spot
Can we email him directly or do we email the admission department?

Can confirm this.

EDIT: Email him directly though.

1. 3.7 GPA may be average, but since when is a 515 on the MCAT average as well?

2. With a LizziM of ~70 and multiple merit scholarships, I can confirm it's not only about stats (except for one school.......@Arsartium knows, lol).

As in you did this yourself recently ?

I might consider doing that although I’m scared I’ll be told bad news lol

Yep, did it mid-Feb.

Have your pick: False hope, real hope, or crushed hopes. At least you get the option! More than I can say for most schools.

Yep, did it mid-Feb.

Have your pick: False hope, real hope, or crushed hopes. At least you get the option! More than I can say for most schools.

thats so true honestly. do you know if he will comment on md mph as well or would he only be able to tell me my
chances for MD?

thats so true honestly. do you know if he will comment on md mph as well or would he only be able to tell me my
chances for MD?

I can only confirm MD. Can't hurt to ask. Good luck!