2018-2019 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They normally won’t tell you until the waitlist is made. I don’t think they even have tiers yet , just scores.
Yes, totally agree with this. The list will change every time they interview more people so I don't think it will be separated into waitli
Congrats! Did you receive a status unchanged email October and November?
Yep!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I just received an II. Super excited! I'm trying to book my flight and was wondering if I would have enough time to make a 3pm return flight after a morning interview? I tried looking online but there isn't much information on when the interview day is supposed to end. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! I just received an II. Super excited! I'm trying to book my flight and was wondering if I would have enough time to make a 3pm return flight after a morning interview? I tried looking online but there isn't much information on when the interview day is supposed to end. Thanks in advance!
They usually split the day into halves with either interviews in morning or interviews in afternoon, so it would probably depend on that. If you got your interviews in the morning I think you’d be done by 1pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Morning group finishes around 1:30 pm. I've never flown out of Columbia so I couldn't tell you how long it would take to get to the airport and through security but if the flight departs at 3 I would imagine you'd be cutting it pretty close

Edit: additionally there's a very small chance your interviewer's evaluations won't match up and you'll have to do a third interview in the afternoon, so I would recommend a later flight if possible

Literally a 27 min drive to the local airport. Check in here is very quick provided everything checks out.

I hope this helps people wondering about interviews/outcomes. I did my interview this week, and learned that they are scheduling interviews until last week of February. Class size is going to be 112 again. And though most people already know this, decisions will go out the first week of March for most. Waitlist movement last year apparently happened mostly up until April 30th, very minimal movement thereafter with approximately a third of the waitlist being utilized total.

They also got almost 33% more applications this cycle compared to last year. Still the same number of II's, so more people are competing for each seat this year.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope this helps people wondering about interviews/outcomes. I did my interview this week, and learned that they are scheduling interviews until last week of February. Class size is going to be 112 again. And though most people already know this, decisions will go out the first week of March for most. Waitlist movement last year apparently happened mostly up until April 30th, very minimal movement thereafter with approximately a third of the waitlist being utilized total.

They also got almost 33% more applications this cycle compared to last year. Still the same number of II's, so more people are competing for each seat this year.
Thanks Bubblepop! So just to confirm, about 1/3 of the waitlist gets accepted before the end of April? I'm also wondering how acceptances differ for out of state (Cali kid here!)

Thanks Bubblepop! So just to confirm, about 1/3 of the waitlist gets accepted before the end of April? I'm also wondering how acceptances differ for out of state (Cali kid here!)
Regarding the WL, that is my understanding of what happened last year. The year before that, they went through almost 80% of the waitlist (no clue on the timing) since they had a larger class.

Purely speculation from here: I don't know specifics OOS policy/admissions, but they are aiming for 15% of the student body to be OOS. That would be about 17 students out of 112. So my guess is that they will take the 17 top scoring OOS applicants for the initial acceptance, and then take the next highest scoring OOS applicant on their waitlist if/when an accepted OOS student withdraws.

Up until March, they’ve likely only accepted a handful of people. In March, the rest of the class gets full and the WL is formed. Everyone is in one of 3 tiers. Top tier has consistently been thought of as a ‘delayed acceptance’ for the last 5-7 years since they always end up getting off. OOS numbers are capped. I think last year was 10% of the class. They say they go in order by your rank in the list but demographics likely make a difference. If you’re OOS, even if you’re next on the list, you won’t get an offer unless another oos person has rejected their acceptance due to it being a state school

I think most of the top third WLers got offers before May last year

I’m also from Cali and from what I was told by the admissions staff is that once you surpass the OOS secondary you are basically on an even field with everyone else. So I’m guessing this would apply even after you have already been interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m also from Cali and from what I was told by the admissions staff is that once you surpass the OOS secondary you are basically on an even field with everyone else. So I’m guessing this would apply even after you have already been interviewed.

You may be right that you're on an even playing field with IS people to get an interview invite (although MSAR numbers for IS vs OOS interviews don't really reflect this: Mizzou receives many more OOS applications but grants more interviews to IS applicants) and after the interview everyone is ranked on what might be the same internal ranking system. But Mizzou can only accept between 10-20% OOS applicants as stipulated by their board (a direct quote from Kevin, their director of admissions, not sure if he meant the admissions board or their SOM board of directors, my guess is the latter). So after that quota has been hit, they will accept a lower ranked IS applicant rather than an OOS applicant of higher rank. The waitlist last year reflects this; Mizzou stopped offering acceptances in 2018 somewhere in the middle third of the waitlist, but some OOS applicants in the top third did not receive an offer.

Edit: 2017-2018 Interview stats:
IS Apps vs Interviews-- 527 / 300 (~56.9% interviewed)
OOS Apps vs Interviews-- 1699 / 78 (~4.62% interviewed)

On the plus side, your acceptance % if you're an OOS interview is pretty even:
IS Interviews vs Matriculants 300 / 104 (~34.7% accepted)
OOS Interviews vs Matriculants 78 / 24 (~30.8% accepted)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone tried calling the admissions office and had to leave a message? I called and left a message on Monday, but I haven't heard back from them. I'm a non traditional student and I took just one 3 credit class during the fall, so I'm wondering if it's beneficial to send the transcript for it (already had my interview)? It was anatomy so it's relevant.

Waiting is hard! March seems like an eternity away...

Has anyone tried calling the admissions office and had to leave a message? I called and left a message on Monday, but I haven't heard back from them. I'm a non traditional student and I took just one 3 credit class during the fall, so I'm wondering if it's beneficial to send the transcript for it (already had my interview)? It was anatomy so it's relevant.

Waiting is hard! March seems like an eternity away...

Generally speaking they do not allow updates after the interview. I would email them with the update if you still wish.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they said absolutely no updates, wouldn't it seem like you are disregarding their directions even if you email with an update? I also want to send them my fall semester grades and other updates but don't want to not follow their directions and have it reflect negatively on me

Once the week of your interview is done (meaning you interviewed and then they voted on you at the end of the week) your file is closed. Nothing can change your numbers. That said, I would save yourself and Anita the time of sending an email/phone call that isn't going to do anything.

I know it is frustrating, but you just have to wait and see what happens.

Just got an interview invite! I wonder if it's just an interview for a waitlist spot...

:whistle:
Just got an interview invite! I wonder if it's just an interview for a waitlist spot...

Fortunately for you, Mizzou does not do rolling admissions. They interview all of their applicants, rank order them based on many different factors including your interview performance, then accept their top applicants around the first week of March. The rest will be waitlisted or rejected. Therefore, when you interview doesn’t really matter. What matters is that you have a solid application and a stellar interview performance. Good luck! And enjoy the shorter wait, too! Been sitting in silence since November :whistle:

Reactions: 2 users
Scrolling through 28 pages sounds rough so someone plz help, what days do they do review and releases?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Scrolling through 28 pages sounds rough so someone plz help, what days do they do review and releases?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

The committee meets every Wednesday and decisions/updates (post interview) are sent out on the last Thursday of the month. Last year, they notified every applicant of their status on Thursday, March 1st. I anticipate we will hear between Thursday, February 28th and Thursday, March 7th.

The top third of the waitlist is usually accepted by May 1st. Some years they only get through the top third, others they get into the bottom third. Hope this answers your questions!

:whistle:

Fortunately for you, Mizzou does not do rolling admissions. They interview all of their applicants, rank order them based on many different factors including your interview performance, then accept their top applicants around the first week of March. The rest will be waitlisted or rejected. Therefore, when you interview doesn’t really matter. What matters is that you have a solid application and a stellar interview performance. Good luck! And enjoy the shorter wait, too! Been sitting in silence since November :whistle:
This isn't entirely true. Mizzou does technically do rolling admissions. Following interview, a "select few" may be accepted within the week. After that, all candidates that have previously been interviewed and ranked are reviewed at the end of every month, and they decide whether they want to admit a few candidates that month. They don't do it every month, it really is at the discretion of the adcom, but if they do they will send the emails the last Thursday of every month. If they do not admit anyone that month or if you were not among the select few, you'll receive a status unchanged email that same Thursday. That being said, during the info session they did say that 90-95% of acceptances do not go out until March, so if you haven't been accepted yet, don't stress! There's still plenty of time!

9am to around 1pm. Your interviews will be back to back at 9am and another at 10am.

Cool I just needed to make sure that I show up at 11am for my afternoon interviews, 1:30 and 2:30. I somehow recall ending the day at 4:30 last time.

Wow, just got the R. This was my top choice so I’m pretty bummed. Slightly surprised, too, as my stats are pretty above their mean. Best of luck to everybody else!
I'm really sorry to hear. Can I ask if you previously received status unchanged emails or when you interviewed?

Status unchanged. No suprise there. Now I’m just waiting for my waitlist email lol

Accepted today. IS, Interviewed on 10/10. I sincerely hope those of you who have been getting status unchanged emails will get the result you want soon. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today!!! IS, interviewed on 10/30. I sincerely hope the best for everyone :)

Do you all think we’ll get our final decision with the 2/28 decisions since they plan to conclude their interviews in February? Last year they sent them out Thursday, March 1st.

Do you all think we’ll get our final decision with the 2/28 decisions since they plan to conclude their interviews in February? Last year they sent them out Thursday, March 1st.
My email said they conclude in March, so I was thinking decisions would come out early April. I could have misinterpreted that

My email said they conclude in March, so I was thinking decisions would come out early April. I could have misinterpreted that

So someone above, I think bubblepop, posted that at their January interview they said they were scheduling interviews until the last week of February. I’m hoping this is the case. I interviewed in November. The wait is killing me. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Sup guys, big time lurker here. Accepted this morning! interviewed on Halloween, in state. Best of luck to all still waiting!

Status unchanged.

If previous years (and what Kevin said on my interview day) are accurate they'll conclude interviews in Feb and have something out to all "status unchanged" applicants the first week of March. Waiting does suck.

I don't think the committee cares much about stats though.

I agree with this. My interviewer made it very clear that if you were there for the interview, stats would play a minimal role in the overall decision.

Status unchanged.

If previous years (and what Kevin said on my interview day) are accurate they'll conclude interviews in Feb and have something out to all "status unchanged" applicants the first week of March. Waiting does suck.

Last year, we got our final email on march 1

Accepted this morning. Interviewed on November 6th, In State. Good luck to everyone. Only 1 more month! Hang in there.