2018-2019 University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually haven't applied yet. I was curious as to whether it was worth starting a whole new primary application

You’re already very late for TCOM if you’re starting from square zero. Late August/September is borderline DOA in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually haven't applied yet. I was curious as to whether it was worth starting a whole new primary application
The Texas cycle runs a little faster than AMCAS/AACOMAS, so it may be cutting it a little close. According to TMDSAS, it looks like they are processing apps submitted ~20 days prior. Also with TMDSAS, its a flat fee of $165, so if you have competitive stats for OOS you might as well apply to all 10 schools, it would be the same as applying to 1, price wise. TCOM and UTSW have no secondary fees, Long and UTMB do not have a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete here 06/07/18. 3.6 GPA 501 MCAT. I even attended the open house here a few weeks back. Do you guys think I have been overlooked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email inviting me to sign up for an interview!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the email inviting me to sign up for an interview!!
me too! My very first interview invite, and hopefully not the last! I am soo excited!

I was complete here 06/07/18. 3.6 GPA 501 MCAT. I even attended the open house here a few weeks back. Do you guys think I have been overlooked?
For the first rounds of interviews yes, but it's really early in the season, so don't worry. There's plenty of time

Friend of mine got an interview early 2018 and was accepted right around orientation that same year.
Hang in there!

What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1,000 character limit).

Please describe your most meaningful health-related experience. (1,000 character limit).

If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.

TCOM seeks applicants who also have exceptional skills outside of academic performance. Please provide an example where you may have demonstrated one of the following:
1. Leadership over a project that involved interaction with people outside your organization
2. Developed a plan to work through a specific situation where your ethics or moral code was challenged
3. Ability to improve by developing and executing a plan to succeed in an endeavor after previously being unsuccessful

There was also a space to allow you to write about any educational/financial disadvantages you might have had.

I have very similar stats. We are on the low end of awesome. My friends in our position waited until the end of the cycle to get contacts. Hopefully that’s our case too. Good luck!

I have very similar stats. We are on the low end of awesome. My friends in our position waited until the end of the cycle to get contacts. Hopefully that’s our case too. Good luck!

I have 3.31 GPA and 505 MCAT. I was complete at the end of May. I know my chances of getting in here are very slim with these stats but still trying to be optimistic! Good luck to y'all! Hopefully we will hear some good news soon :)

I have similar stats, completed July, interviewed in November and accepted December. There's hope!

Anyone on this thread interview there yet? How was the “file check with TCOM Admissions Staff”? Like what exactly happens between that and how many interviewers and scenarios for the MMI right before? Have an II on 9/7 here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on this thread interview there yet? How was the “file check with TCOM Admissions Staff”? Like what exactly happens between that and how many interviewers and scenarios for the MMI right before? Have an II on 9/7 here.
What’s the file check?

I interviewed on 8/10
The file check is just for them to ask a few questions about your app like if you want to add anything and other stuff that is not incorporated in the general interview. Really chill so don't worry about it. After file check they do an orientation and then they split you up into groups for MMIs and Group Session. The MMIs are 5 stations with an interviewer at each station and a corresponding prompt. Lowkey fun, but do your best. Group Session is just a discussion between one of the groups and a faculty member. After that its a tour and then lunch.

I interviewed on 8/10
The file check is just for them to ask a few questions about your app like if you want to add anything and other stuff that is not incorporated in the general interview. Really chill so don't worry about it. After file check they do an orientation and then they split you up into groups for MMIs and Group Session. The MMIs are 5 stations with an interviewer at each station and a corresponding prompt. Lowkey fun, but do your best. Group Session is just a discussion between one of the groups and a faculty member. After that its a tour and then lunch.
Thanks!

Sorry, can someone explain what the Group Session is? I'm still not quite sure I understand. Is it another interview, or more of a Q&A session (and if so, is it casual or will it heavily factor into admissions decision [obviously everything from interview day factors into admissions decision, but some things more so than others])?

Sorry, can someone explain what the Group Session is? I'm still not quite sure I understand. Is it another interview, or more of a Q&A session (and if so, is it casual or will it heavily factor into admissions decision [obviously everything from interview day factors into admissions decision, but some things more so than others])?

It’s a casual Q&A session.

How long do the interviews last? I have the 3:15pm interview time and want to get an idea of when I would be done for the day to figure out transportation. Thanks in advance!

How long do the interviews last? I have the 3:15pm interview time and want to get an idea of when I would be done for the day to figure out transportation. Thanks in advance!

They are 5-6 mins each so about 30 mins?

Anyone receive any II lately? Haven't heard anything from them since submitting the secondary

Anyone receive any II lately? Haven't heard anything from them since submitting the secondary
Nothing here. When were you complete? I believe I was complete the first week of August.

Nothing here. Was finished in June... But I recognize I am a bit of a long shot. Still hopeful though!

I'd really like to stay in Texas, so I'm quite happy that I had an II at UIWSOM and would be ecstatic to get some love from this school.

II just now! Super excited about this one!!

Reactions: 4 users
I finished my app first week of July...do y'all think I've been passed up or am I just thinking too much...LizzyM 69-70

Also, did the application status ever change from "complete" to "under review"?

I finished my app first week of July...do y'all think I've been passed up or am I just thinking too much...LizzyM 69-70

Also, did the application status ever change from "complete" to "under review"?
I don't think you have been passed up. It's still Sep and the interview cycle goes on till Dec. I think you are good considering your stats! We all just gotta be patient even though that's super hard lol

I have been complete since 6/18 and my status also says complete under the checklist and received under applicant status.

As long as your status remains “This application is under review.”, you have not been rejected/your application is still being considered.

If your status changes to “This application has been reviewed.”, this is equivalent to a rejection.

Information from personal experience and 2016-2017 UNTHSC thread.

As long as your status remains “This application is under review.”, you have not been rejected/your application is still being considered.

If your status changes to “This application has been reviewed.”, this is equivalent to a rejection.

Sooo if it's still at "Application is complete" it just means mine hasn't even been looked at yet?

mine says app is completed and received...what does this mean?

I'd really like to stay in Texas, so I'm quite happy that I had an II at UIWSOM and would be ecstatic to get some love from this school.
same here, still waiting patiently...

Hey for anyone that already interviewed. I wanted to inquire what the “Group Session” consists of on interview day? How’s the format and what exactly do they ask about?

Hey for anyone that already interviewed. I wanted to inquire what the “Group Session” consists of on interview day? How’s the format and what exactly do they ask about?

Unless the format has changed this year, the "group session" is simply an information session with a faculty mentor within your interview group. This is not an additional interview.

Unless the format has changed this year, the "group session" is simply an information session with a faculty mentor within your interview group. This is not an additional interview.

Oh awesome! What about the “File Check with TCOM Admissions Staff”? How long is this??? It shows it staring at 10:15AM for me and then the next thing on the agenda is a campus tour at 12???

Oh awesome! What about the “File Check with TCOM Admissions Staff”? How long is this??? It shows it staring at 10:15AM for me and then the next thing on the agenda is a campus tour at 12???

One of the admissions officers will pull you aside and check that all information they have on you is correct to the best of your knowledge. This usually takes five or ten minutes per person, but they only have one or two people doing the file check for your group. It's essentially an intermission in the meantime - get to know your interview friends and current students if there are any in the room (there usually are).

What’s the PreMatch like here? Do they pre match a good number of students? Anyone have any idea at all?