2018-2019 University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My stats are low, LM 64, but I am non-trad student working in a generic drug development company. Worked as an MA for a DO for over two years.
Did you hear back via email or portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really enjoyed my interview day here on 10/2! Does anybody know of any previous patterns to pre-matches from this school (like higher stats, etc or is it just very random)? Really hoping to get one from here! :)

Also feel free to ask me anything about interviews here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II today! Submitted my secondary two nights ago... i’m shocked honestly. OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations. Thats quick!!

Are you URM? I saw your GPA was out of sight from another post. My MCAT was higher so you're giving me hope!!
II today! Submitted my secondary two nights ago... i’m shocked honestly. OOS

II today via portal! Do we have to call for them to send an invite to our email? Maybe it bounced back...

II today via portal! Do we have to call for them to send an invite to our email? Maybe it bounced back...[/

A lot of people were saying they never received the II emails through their school email address so I gave my personal email and received II yesterday. My portal still hasn't changed yet. It gives you five days to accept the II.

Really enjoyed my interview day here on 10/2! Does anybody know of any previous patterns to pre-matches from this school (like higher stats, etc or is it just very random)? Really hoping to get one from here! :)

Can you tell us how the interview process was like? Was it just MMIs? How long at each station? Thanks

Can you tell us how the interview process was like? Was it just MMIs? How long at each station? Thanks
It was only MMI, 2 min to read and 6 min inside! Goes by really quick!

A lot of people were saying they never received the II emails through their school email address so I gave my personal email and received II yesterday. My portal still hasn't changed yet. It gives you five days to accept the II.
Hmm, that's strange....I'm a current Med Sci student here so my campus email is up and running, and the system has my personal email address already. Fingers crossed it comes soon, then. :)

I believe they are 50/50 on prematches and match and based on reddit, the post-interview acceptance rate is about 70% which is pretty nice. Seems like most DO schools have higher than 50% acceptance rates (post-interview).

Reactions: 1 users
How did you update your email? on TMDSAS or school portal, or call the school?

Members don't see this ad :)

My group interviewed last, so I had a presentation, hospital tour, campus tour with students, then lunch before my interviews. There was only 5 stations of MMI- you'll have 2 mins to read the prompt and 6 mins with each interviewer. And most of them were writing notes during our conversation. I tried to prep for my MMI's, and it helped me to process something quickly and talk through my reasoning! But there's no way to prepare answers for the actual prompts. They were interesting so I enjoyed them but not what I expected! I hope that helps!!

My group interviewed last, so I had a presentation, hospital tour, campus tour with students, then lunch before my interviews. There was only 5 stations of MMI- you'll have 2 mins to read the prompt and 6 mins with each interviewer. And most of them were writing notes during our conversation. I tried to prep for my MMI's, and it helped me to process something quickly and talk through my reasoning! But there's no way to prepare answers for the actual prompts. They were interesting so I enjoyed them but not what I expected! I hope that helps!!
did they throw in any typical interview questions like why medicine, greatest challenge, etc? I’ve heard of some schools doing that for some MMI stations. Not looking for specific questions they asked, but just if they did traditional questions at all in general.

did they throw in any typical interview questions like why medicine, greatest challenge, etc? I’ve heard of some schools doing that for some MMI stations. Not looking for specific questions they asked, but just if they did traditional questions at all in general.

yeah some of my other MMI interviews have done that. For me personally (questions may be different depending on the day), some traditional questions were interwoven in the prompt itself. So it they could be presented differently but asking the same general things (i.e describing a challenge etc) but just asked in a more unique way. If that makes sense lol trying to help without breaking confidentiality :)

Does anyone know when the last set of interviews are held? I have low stats but a fair shot at getting in, but in case I dont get an interview I want to be able to apply early for the Med-Sci program. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know when the last set of interviews are held? I have low stats but a fair shot at getting in, but in case I dont get an interview I want to be able to apply early for the Med-Sci program. Any thoughts?
Rank preferences for match are due Jan 18th I believe. So no TMDSAS school will interview applicants after that date. That’ll still be plenty early to get your med sci app in. Alternatively, you could always apply to med sci and withdraw if you’re given an interview and get accepted elsewhere. This happens all the time. Med sci usually starts around the last week of May so there have been quite a few who will start and end up leaving cause they’ve been accepted off the waitlist at TCOM or other Texas schools.

I see the last set of interviews are held in January 2019. I highly recommend the medsci program regardless which school you go to. The top guys in every class were former medsci or master degree holding students. It's basically a slower 1st year of TCOM.

I have a question that may seem a little neurotic. I was offered a seat to the GSBS program, but it was 7 days before the program started and I was unable to move and start school within that time. I had to decline the seat offered. Do yall think that it hurt me declining that seat?

Rank preferences for match are due Jan 18th I believe. So no TMDSAS school will interview applicants after that date. That’ll still be plenty early to get your med sci app in. Alternatively, you could always apply to med sci and withdraw if you’re given an interview and get accepted elsewhere. This happens all the time. Med sci usually starts around the last week of May so there have been quite a few who will start and end up leaving cause they’ve been accepted off the waitlist at TCOM or other Texas schools.
medsci is the post bac program?

Last edited:
yeah some of my other MMI interviews have done that. For me personally (questions may be different depending on the day), some traditional questions were interwoven in the prompt itself. So it they could be presented differently but asking the same general things (i.e describing a challenge etc) but just asked in a more unique way. If that makes sense lol trying to help without breaking confidentiality :)
Haha that is helpful! Thank you!!

Where does it show up on the portal? Like right when you log in? Messages?

Where does it show up on the portal? Like right when you log in? Messages?

go to your myHSC > click applicant status > should be one line right on top of your application info table

I see the last set of interviews are held in January 2019. I highly recommend the medsci program regardless which school you go to. The top guys in every class were former medsci or master degree holding students. It's basically a slower 1st year of TCOM.

Do you know how the schedule is for MedSci? Like is it M-F 8-5 kind of thing or is it more spread out? Jwing cause I work full time and wondering if I'd have to go part

II confirmed 10/10! LizzyM 67-68, 511 MCAT, URM, IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So I just logged into my portal and saw that I have nothing in the "Status" box under my Applicant Status for the Fall 2019 term. Is this normal before getting an II?

Hey! Anybody who interviewed there already- what did you take with you to the interview? Do we need something to take notes on? A snack? If you are a woman did you take a small purse for keys, etc? Thanks in advance :)

Hey! Anybody who interviewed there already- what did you take with you to the interview? Do we need something to take notes on? A snack? If you are a woman did you take a small purse for keys, etc? Thanks in advance :)
I went in just with my phone and keys and it was fine. You wont need anything really.

Hey sorry another question. Do you have to talk the entire 6 mins or can the interviewer ask further questions based on your response, like is it conversation style?? Also what is file check? Thank you

is the MMI an open interview? As in do they ask questions about your application/essays/EC/hobbies specifically? I interview Tuesday and am nervous! Lol Trying to figure out how to best spend my last day preparing.

Hey sorry another question. Do you have to talk the entire 6 mins or can the interviewer ask further questions based on your response, like is it conversation style?? Also what is file check? Thank you
From what I’ve heard from others and seen on their website it is conversational. So they may ask follow up questions or provide other thoughts/perspectives. But if the conversation falls flat before 6 minutes idk what happens lol

From what I’ve heard from others and seen on their website it is conversational. So they may ask follow up questions or provide other thoughts/perspectives. But if the conversation falls flat before 6 minutes idk what happens lol
Good luck with your interview! I also interview here on Oct 30th, a little nervous about the whole mmi

Honestly, answer the question they ask. Don't go way off on a tangent. If you answer briefly, that gives time for more questions to be asked!

Got a rejection letter via snail mail today :( good luck everyone!
MCAT: 508
cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.95

Got a rejection letter via snail mail today :( good luck everyone!
MCAT: 508
cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.95
Whaaaaat. I didn’t know they did that! Your stats are better than mine so maybe I’ll get a letter too lol. I got II to both techs, so don’t let this put you down in case you haven’t heard from any other schools!

Whaaaaat. I didn’t know they did that! Your stats are better than mine so maybe I’ll get a letter too lol. I got II to both techs, so don’t let this put you down in case you haven’t heard from any other schools!
Are you OOS? Thank you it is a dream to go to a TX school!

Oh that's crazy. I am OOS (International). Your stats are better than mine as well. When did you submit your app? Now I think it's just a waiting game before I get my reject :(
Actually, the only medical school in Texas that considers international applicants is Baylor, and only McGovern, Texas Tech El Paso, and Long School of Medicine will consider Canadian applicants. 57 US and Canada med schools say they will consider international applicants, and 85 schools say they will consider Canadian applicant, but last year the total number of international students matriculated was 106. Of the Texas schools, only Baylor accepted 1 Canadian applicant.

Actually, the only medical school in Texas that considers international applicants is Baylor, and only McGovern, Texas Tech El Paso, and Long School of Medicine will consider Canadian applicants. 57 US and Canada med schools say they will consider international applicants, and 85 schools say they will consider Canadian applicant, but last year the total number of international students matriculated was 106. Of the Texas schools, only Baylor accepted 1 Canadian applicant.

TCOM does accept international students. I know someone who is an international student that goes to TCOM. So that makes it two schools in Texas actually (TCOM and Baylor). I know for a fact Baylor would never accept me so my only hope in Texas is TCOM. And going to school in Texas would be a dream really.