2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how long does it take from the moment I pick an interview date to the time that UW confirms that interview date/time?
It took about 6 calendar days for me. Don’t worry, they’ll respond back with plenty of time. Also though I had almost a month in between my interview invite (9/11) and actual interview (10/2)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! OOR applicant! I got a II on (10/09) and, shortly afterwards, scheduled to interview on (11/27). I got the "preferred interview" email but have yet to receive the confirmation email. Should I be concerned? At that time the only other interview date available for me to choose from was (11/09). Hopefully I get an update soon so I can book a plane ticket on time :(

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! OOR applicant! I got a II on (10/09) and, shortly afterwards, scheduled to interview on (11/27). I got the "preferred interview" email but have yet to receive the confirmation email. Should I be concerned? At that time the only other interview date available for me to choose from was (11/09). Hopefully I get an update soon so I can book a plane ticket on time :(
I think that means they are just confirming the actual time of your interview slot. To be safe you probably just can book your flight to arrive the day before then they will confirm the actual time of your interview soon. Others can chime in if I am way off here.

Members don't see this ad :)

Everything took a while for my interview. I was offered the interview in August, and then finally could schedule it in mid-September.
I got my "preferred interview date received" email on September 13th, and received the email confirming my interview date with the time of my interview on September 24th.

Hey! I am also OOR and interviewing that day and just received the confirmation today. I'm sure you will receive it soon as well!

II today! How long should I expect it to be before I receive a scheduling email?

does anyone know how I should go about updating individual schools of my new mcat score? Should I email or update through the portal? not too familiar. Thanks for your help :)

MCAT scores are updated automatically - there is no need to do anything. If you listed that you were expected another MCAT score on your app, they probably haven't looked at your app yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it something you can bring up in the interview? If you haven't already had it. Just thinking about ways you could convey it without an update.

Sometimes they’ll ask if there is anything else you want them to know, or add that wasn’t covered in your application. That’s a time to bring it up.

Rejected without receiving a secondary, but I reside in one of the WWAMI states. According to UWSOMs website, it seems as though WWAMI students are automatically granted a secondary. Could this be a mistake?

Rejected without receiving a secondary, but I reside in one of the WWAMI states. According to UWSOMs website, it seems as though WWAMI students are automatically granted a secondary. Could this be a mistake?

Unfortunately they also screen WWAMI applicants before sending out secondaries.

Quoted from their admissions website, “Unlike many medical schools, the UWSOM does not send out secondary applications automatically, The admissions committee will screen applications to determine if a secondary application will be requested”

Unfortunately they also screen WWAMI applicants before sending out secondaries.

Quoted from their admissions website, “Unlike many medical schools, the UWSOM does not send out secondary applications automatically, The admissions committee will screen applications to determine if a secondary application will be requested”

That's what I thought, but then I saw this under the FAQs section:
"If WWAMI students are automatically granted secondary application, will MCAT re-take scores be waited for?"

This makes it sound like WWAMI students are given secondaries automatically.

Nerves starting to build up for anyone else that interviewed this month?? as we get closer to hearing back..

Reactions: 2 users
Nerves starting to build up for anyone else that interviewed this month?? as we get closer to hearing back..
Please forgive me if I missed this at an earlier point in the thread, but did they give a date that they would start releasing decisions?

Please forgive me if I missed this at an earlier point in the thread, but did they give a date that they would start releasing decisions?
They said in their post-interview email that we would hear within the month (I interviewed on the first day), but according to last year's thread, it seems like the first A or R come around Nov 7-10

They said in their post-interview email that we would hear within the month (I interviewed on the first day), but according to last year's thread, it seems like the first A or R come around Nov 7-10
Yeah I saw the 1 month thing, but since they didn't mention when their committee started meeting, I wasn't sure how true that was.

This lack of communication from the schools I've interviewed at is not doing good things for my sanity!

Has anyone utilized the mock interview that UW offers? I am also curious to know if anyone has heard of UW providing some financial assistance for OOR applicants? I looked through their website and couldn't find anything, but I heard from past applicants that they were offered some money for flights/accommodations. any insights? thanks everyone!!!
I did a mock interview at the career center - would say it was overall useful since it was basically practice, answering questions from a stranger.

Last year people started hearing back post-interview on Nov. 3rd, the first Friday of the month. I wonder if we'll get some news this week..

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Last year people started hearing back post-interview on Nov. 3rd, the first Friday of the month. I wonder if we'll get some news this week..

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I'm actually starting to dread hearing back from here. The more I think about it, the more I think I tanked my interview hard.

Gee isn't this process fun and totally not stressful? :p

Reactions: 3 users
I'm actually starting to dread hearing back from here. The more I think about it, the more I think I tanked my interview hard.

Yeah, I didn't feel great coming out of my interview too. But I don't believe we can objectively evaluate our own interviews in hindsight.

I just wish I could send them an update letter. I got promoted at my new job and it could make for a decent update.

If I didn't have a busy job and such a supportive spouse I would've pulled all my hair out by now.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I didn't feel great coming out of my interview too. But I don't believe we can objectively evaluate our own interviews in hindsight.

I just wish I could send them an update letter. I got promoted at my new job and it could make for a decent update.

If I didn't have a busy job and such a supportive spouse I would've pulled all my hair out by now.
I keep telling myself that I can't evaluate my interviews well, but so far it hasn't been working very well haha.

Unfortunately, my job has a significant amount of downtime, so I have lots of opportunities to agonize over this process!

I feel the exact same way with my interview! So many things I could have said better lol

I feel the exact same way with my interview! So many things I could have said better lol
With nine interviews I think you have plenty of time to figure things out!

Are UW WWAMI interviews mmi-based?
No. Interview format and sample questions are published on UWSOMs website. There is a quick role play, but other than that it is very traditional.

Does anyone know if the OOR interviews are the same as WWAMI interviews? I know they are the same format wise (3 interviews vs 1 interviewee), but is the focus of the interview different?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Interview invite!!!! Idaho resident! So freaking excited!!!

I don’t feel comfortable sharing who my ExCom member is but I interviewed last week! Thanks so much, and best of luck to all of you!!!

I don’t feel comfortable sharing who my ExCom member is but I interviewed last week! Thanks so much, and best of luck to all of you!!!
Would you feel comfortable sharing what area code they called from? Want to know what number to expect. 206????

"All final actions are sent by email, so be sure to manage your email account carefully."

This was in my email post interview. I am pretty sure you will get an email with an acceptance. All the current medical students I know who are first years got their acceptances via email. Unless you're in one of the other places outside of Washington in the WWAMI region. (A current Montana student got a call last year, but most Montana applicants interviewed the same week)

Unless anyone else who interviewed received a different email after their interview that said otherwise...

Though if you're not a Seattle resident, the Seattle area code is 206

Last edited:
"All final actions are sent by email, so be sure to manage your email account carefully."

This was in my email post interview. I am pretty sure you will get an email with an acceptance. All the current medical students I know who are first years got their acceptances via email. Unless you're in one of the other places outside of Washington in the WWAMI region. (A current Montana student got a call last year, but most Montana applicants interviewed the same week)
Weird that they called someone when they specifically said they would send out emails with their decisions :thinking::thinking: :thinking:

Unless anyone else who interviewed received a different email after their interview that said otherwise...

You get a call from your ex com member as well as an email if you’re accepted

Weird that they called someone when they specifically said they would send out emails with their decisions :thinking::thinking: :thinking:

You should get a call first. With a voicemail. Its more personal and they want to let you know that way if possible. An official email will follow that day or later. It is impossible to say what area code you will get it from since your ex-com member could have any area code depending on their cell number and where they are from originally.

So did one EXCOM member just go rogue or what? I figured if people were getting accepted then the rest of us would get R or SUC e-mails today, but no dice on my end. Anyone hear anything aside from the one acceptance above?

Reactions: 1 users
So did one EXCOM member just go rogue or what? I figured if people were getting accepted then the rest of us would get R or SUC e-mails today, but no dice on my end. Anyone hear anything aside from the one acceptance above?
I don’t think it’s that straight forward. Could be that person had a super stellar app and interview and they made a decision right away only because their app also happened to be presented at this meeting. I think that others not on this forum probably were accepted today too. There are a lot of excom members and they don’t attend every meeting and not every application is discussed every meeting so it’s hard to anticipate when we will hear anything. I also don’t think it’s always correlated to when your interview was unfortunately. I think best thing to do now is just to wait as tough as that is to hear.

everytime someone types EXCOM i am reading it as ex-con. especially when they say they got a phone call from an ex-con saying they got accepted