2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't get discouraged if you didn't get into UW everyone! Great school and very difficult to get an acceptance. Unfortunately reporting a rejection here with 8 other acceptances to T15 schools. Good luck to everyone admitted here, you've earned it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted a request for feedback before applying again this June/July (if I am not accepted). They said they were super backlogged with requests so I would do that ASAP if you haven't.

Also to revisit the waitlist thing (sorry everyone not on a waitlist I'm losing my mind over here) wouldnt we have a better idea of how many spots are opening at UW in late April compared to last year since thats when you can only hold one acceptance? That wasnt the rule last year (to my understanding) so we would therefore have a better idea of how many spots will open up earlier since UW acceptees would have to choose between UW and elsewhere by the 30th.

where did you find the request form for feedback, or did you call admissions directly? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the date/time of the white coat ceremony for UW Seattle? Hoping to plan ahead of time for family & friends :) Thank you!

Wait so when checking the box to accept my alternate position it says: "Yes, I want to remain on the alternate list. Should I "commit to enroll" at another medical school, my application will be withdrawn from consideration for the UWSOM."

Am I missing something? Like on April 30th I'm for sure going to commit to another school if I'm not accepted here. This isn't how waitlists work...

plan to enroll lets you stay on WL. commit to enroll means you are definitely going there and withdrawing from all schools to include waitlist. you don't have to commit to enroll. you don't have to select "commit to enroll on the 30th" you can still keep that one school you have an acceptance with as plan to enroll

Does anyone know the date/time of the white coat ceremony for UW Seattle? Hoping to plan ahead of time for family & friends :) Thank you!
I called a couple months ago and asked, but the lady I talked to had no idea. I'm in a wedding the weekend after orientation week, and she was pretty sure it wouldn't be that soon. I'm hoping by second look they have an idea of the date.

Reactions: 1 users

The White coat ceremony is held in our third year at UW I guess :) Maybe current UW students can confirm.

"Students ... were robed in White Coats during a special ceremony to mark their transition from preclinical to clinical health studies and readiness to interact with patients".

Immersion and Orientation start Aug 19th according to the website.

Reactions: 1 user
The White coat ceremony is held in our third year at UW I guess :) Maybe current UW students can confirm.

"Students ... were robed in White Coats during a special ceremony to mark their transition from preclinical to clinical health studies and readiness to interact with patients".

Immersion and Orientation start Aug 19th according to the website.
I checked with a third year. There are two: one after orientation and one at the end of the second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked with a third year. There are two: one after orientation and one at the end of the second year.

During the Wyoming interview they said they did a mini white coat after orientation so when we were at the hospital we would have a white coat, but the official white count isn’t until year 3

During the Wyoming interview they said they did a mini white coat after orientation so when we were at the hospital we would have a white coat, but the official white count isn’t until year 3
Right. The first one is "casual" and the second one is an actual ceremony.

Reactions: 2 users
Does Seattle/OOR have it's own waitlist separate from Spokane? Like if I get off the waitlist for Seattle could I still get placed in Spokane?

That is what I am wondering too. Last year it seems as though there were two separate wait-lists with very few people coming off of the Spokane one, based on the 2017-2018 thread. However, my portal just says WA/OOS. Also, I was asked to write a foundation site essay which seems to me like the wait-list is then for both sites. I am really curious as well.
Does Seattle/OOR have it's own waitlist separate from Spokane? Like if I get off the waitlist for Seattle could I still get placed in Spokane?

That is what I am wondering too. Last year it seems as though there were two separate wait-lists with very few people coming off of the Spokane one, based on the 2017-2018 thread. However, my portal just says WA/OOS. Also, I was asked to write a foundation site essay which seems to me like the wait-list is then for both sites. I am really curious as well.
I think my understanding is there is one WA waitlist and they do their best to accomodate your foundation site preference but maybe if they are running out of spots at either campus you dont have a choice when your number is up? Would be a good question for admissions.

can confirm that we have the official white coat ceremony before clerkships. (end of 2nd year)

We did have a mini white coat ceremony at the end of immersion and orientation where family is invited. (they will tell you out of state family does not need to fly in for this event as it is not as "big a deal" compared to the one in your 2nd year.

Reactions: 4 users
can confirm that we have the official white coat ceremony before clerkships. (end of 2nd year)

We did have a mini white coat ceremony at the end of immersion and orientation where family is invited. (they will tell you out of state family does not need to fly in for this event as it is not as "big a deal" compared to the one in your 2nd year.
How long is orientation and immersion?

Edit: Never mind, I literally just got an email from them. Orientation is M-F, Aug 19-30.

Last edited:
Also placed in Seattle. :D

On another note... did anyone else notice that UW doesn’t provide a student health insurance plan? Anyone else find this weird???

On another note... did anyone else notice that UW doesn’t provide a student health insurance plan? Anyone else find this weird???
My understanding is that they stopped offering this when the ACA went into effect. Students now qualify for insurance plans through the state healthplan finder so the schools don't have to do this piece anymore.

My understanding is that they stopped offering this when the ACA went into effect. Students now qualify for insurance plans through the state healthplan finder so the schools don't have to do this piece anymore.

Ah, makes sense. From my understanding it doesn't seem standard yet for medical schools to recommend their students get insurance through the exchange. Wondering if current students feel like this has been a solid option for them.

Is there any reason to believe that the new traffic rules would decrease waitlist movement or reduce the number of alternates accepted?

Is there any reason to believe that the new traffic rules would decrease waitlist movement or reduce the number of alternates accepted?
I have been wondering that as well. I think its impossible to predict which way it would go but that regardless we would have a much better idea how the list is moving come April 30th compared to years past.

I have been wondering that as well. I think its impossible to predict which way it would go but that regardless we would have a much better idea how the list is moving come April 30th compared to years past.
Can't come soon enough XD

So I am in the top 10 on the alternate list, which I am excited about, but which also means I am not getting any information about when things actually kick off in the fall.... can someone clarify this info:
- immersion is aug 19-30
- there is a mini white coat ceremony of sorts post immersion
- classes start sept 20ish????

So I am in the top 10 on the alternate list, which I am excited about, but which also means I am not getting any information about when things actually kick off in the fall.... can someone clarify this info:
- immersion is aug 19-30
- there is a mini white coat ceremony of sorts post immersion
- classes start sept 20ish????
All correct except regular classes begin on September 3rd for medical students. We don't follow the normal quarter schedule.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm pretty sure most of our class is on apple health or on parent's insurance (<26)

I believe the school is working on getting insurance for students (will be a few years down the road), but unsure. It really is a UW (upper campus) issue than UWSOM's.
On another note, the campus hall health is great for last minute shots, etc.

Idaho alternate #1 accepted yesterday!!! So excited UW has always been my top school! Even more rewarding as a reapplicant.

Reactions: 9 users
Wondering if one of you might please offer some advice: I'm applying next cycle and I'm wondering if my ~370 hours of clinical volunteering (over 3 years) and ~80 hours primary care shadowing (+~60 hours non-primary care) will be sufficient for UWSOM? Other EC's are strong but just wondering specifically if my clinical experience is lacking for UW. I have no paid clinical experience either.

Wondering if one of you might please offer some advice: I'm applying next cycle and I'm wondering if my ~370 hours of clinical volunteering (over 3 years) and ~80 hours primary care shadowing (+~60 hours non-primary care) will be sufficient for UWSOM? Other EC's are strong but just wondering specifically if my clinical experience is lacking for UW. I have no paid clinical experience either.

I would say they are absolutely fine. I was accepted this year and I had 50 hours of cardiology shadowing and 40 hours of health care volunteering

That seems like plenty of clinical volunteering and shadowing. I believe they recommend a minimum of 40 hours of MD/DO shadowing. Make sure in your AMCAS you talk about what you got out of it, no just the cool things you saw. On their website they have links to webinars on how to talk about clinical experience that I found really helpful in my applications.

does uw offer student host program or travel stipends for second look?

does uw offer student host program or travel stipends for second look?

Yes for student host program
No for travel stipends

Ask admissions on how to set up a host
Congrats!

just got my oos tuition waiver :) :bow: thanks UW :love:

Question about FAFSA. I just read on the UW website that we have to submit FAFSA by January 15th for full financial consideration. I've never had to apply for financial aid because I had help throughout college. Does this mean I'm stuck with private loans for the first year?

Idaho alternate #1 accepted yesterday!!! So excited UW has always been my top school! Even more rewarding as a reapplicant.

Congratulations!! They haven’t posted anything on the website yet I assume just because it’s the weekend??

Is there any way to look at the demographics of the school? Not a huge deal, but was interested in seeing the diversity

Congratulations!! They haven’t posted anything on the website yet I assume just because it’s the weekend??
Yeah they may not update every day until later in March/early April. Not sure though. Good luck you as I saw your earlier post that you are in top 10. Utah acceptances came out last week so could be some more movement on the waitlist this month.

Yeah they may not update every day until later in March/early April. Not sure though. Good luck you as I saw your earlier post that you are in top 10. Utah acceptances came out last week so could be some more movement on the waitlist this month.

That’s true. Thank you!! Just need a few more and I’ll be celebrating with ya!

How long did it take to process all the documents?

Thank you in advance :)

It took me a week from the moment I got my acceptance to the moment I heard back about uw net id and tuition waiver