2018-2019 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
could someone remind me of what the Special Studies weeks are ?

If I recall correctly, this is basically a "break" at the end of each block. Something akin to the "selective" weeks at Mayo. Moreover, if you were to fail your block exam, this would be a study period, after which you would try to pass the exam again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those accepted, does anyone know if we can submit the "intent to matriculate" form on the portal and remain on other waitlists? Or is it more of a binding final commitment?

For those accepted, does anyone know if we can submit the "intent to matriculate" form on the portal and remain on other waitlists? Or is it more of a binding final commitment?

Also wondering this. It sounds like a firm commitment so I am tentatively planning on forgoing my deposit and waiting until after April 30th to submit... but if anyone has more information on this, please advise!

Members don't see this ad :)

The general rule is that you are allowed to accept as many as acceptances as you would like to hold your spot until April 30th, however you MUST only hold one acceptance by the time April 30th rolls around. The fee is generally reimbursed by any medical school under the AAMC.

The general rule is that you are allowed to accept as many as acceptances as you would like to hold your spot until April 30th, however you MUST only hold one acceptance by the time April 30th rolls around. The fee is generally reimbursed by any medical school under the AAMC.

Thanks for the reply, @kZamBam778! I was specifically wondering about staying on waitlists after April 30th (since many schools don't start pulling people from waitlists until May). Assuming Virginia Tech is the only acceptance we're still holding come April 30th, would it be okay to submit the intent to matriculate form even if we're still on a waitlist at another school?

Thanks for the reply, @kZamBam778! I was specifically wondering about staying on waitlists after April 30th (since many schools don't start pulling people from waitlists until May). Assuming Virginia Tech is the only acceptance we're still holding come April 30th, would it be okay to submit the intent to matriculate form even if we're still on a waitlist at another school?

Yes. It is common practice among many matriculants to hold as many waitlist spots as you prefer after the April 30th deadline. However, the AAMC rule still stands that you can only hold one acceptance. If you are lucky enough to get off the waitlist at another institution, you are generally given up to 1-2 days to make your decision of whether or not to take that spot (leniency also depends on the institution that took you off the waitlist).

The intent to matriculate is considered separate from being on a waitlist so you are all clear on that front.

Yes. It is common practice among many matriculants to hold as many waitlist spots as you prefer after the April 30th deadline. However, the AAMC rule still stands that you can only hold one acceptance. If you are lucky enough to get off the waitlist at another institution, you are generally given up to 1-2 days to make your decision of whether or not to take that spot (leniency also depends on the institution that took you off the waitlist).

The intent to matriculate is considered separate from being on a waitlist so you are all clear on that front.

Actually many schools give up to a week (or even more!) to make that decision of holding the one acceptance or dropping it and moving forward with the waitlist-acceptance offer. But every school does it a little differently so you won't know about any of this until you are in such a situation.

I read that last year people started hearing about wait list April 18th but with the new traffic rules does anyone know if it'll actually be next week or pushed back to May? Has anyone heard from them?

I read that last year people started hearing about wait list April 18th but with the new traffic rules does anyone know if it'll actually be next week or pushed back to May? Has anyone heard from them?
Pure speculation but with the new rules: April 15th people can only hold 3 acceptances and then April 30th can only hold 1 acceptance.
Based off of this I'd say there would be some waitlist movement following 4/15, but with most of it happening early May.

Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect about the facts.

Did they already notify the April round?

Did they already notify the April round?

I don't think so? I think we will be getting a generic email when they notify people (either waitlist or rejection). So far they seem like the best school at communication :)

I don't think so? I think we will be getting a generic email when they notify people (either waitlist or rejection). So far they seem like the best school at communication :)

Very true very true

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they will give seats out this week? i.e. if people from previous acceptances rescind their acceptance and there's less than 42 full seats when they meet(I'm assuming this week), they'll immediately fill those and then create the waitlist?

Just trying to get a handle on how this process works.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they will give seats out this week? i.e. if people from previous acceptances rescind their acceptance and there's less than 42 full seats when they meet-(I'm assuming this week), they'll immediately fill those and then create the wait list?
I believe this is the plan...but it depends if enough people will have actually rescinded their acceptances by now. It's more likely they'll have empty spots after April 30th, and that we will either get a waitlist or rejection email this week. But who knows? fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
If I've still heard nothing, is that a safe assumption that I'm on the waitlist?

Rejected from the waitlist as of this morning. Best of luck everyone else.

Does anyone know if they gave out any acceptances today?

Big ol rejection

waitlisted *huge sigh of relief*
Now just need people to start withdrawing (pls!!!) lol

Waitlisted! Anyone have any idea of how big the waitlist is?

me trying to figure out how short is "relatively short"

• Haha
Rejected email this afternoon. Was not prepared for that...

Also an unexpected rejection. Thought I'd be at the very least waitlisted here. Rough but moving on. Best of luck to everyone else!

Does anyone have access to MSAR waitlist information that they could post here for VTC?

Does anyone have access to MSAR waitlist information that they could post here for VTC?

I got you fam.

According to MSAR,
"Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle: Varies
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: Not Provided"

Sorry that's incredibly unhelpful information :/

I got you fam.

According to MSAR,
"Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle: Varies
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: Not Provided"

Sorry that's incredibly unhelpful information :/
Thanks for trying! Appreciate it :)

R from the post-II WL a couple days ago. GL to y’all still in the running

last year they stopped giving out acceptances in May (no other seats were turned down) So, cross our fingers for the next six weeks.

Has anyone received a financial aid package beyond the initial admission scholarship?

With a heavy heart, I withdrew from VTC today. Best of luck to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance here. It was a hard decision because I loved the implementation of PBL, but ultimately my interest in ophthy drew me to a program with a home ophthalmology department. Good luck everyone, hope my seat goes to a deserving applicant.

Reactions: 5 users
Not going to lie, I’ve been checking this page incessantly the last couple of days and the silence is killing me. Anyone think there will be waitlist movement today? This has been the big day the last few years, but who knows what’s up with these new aamc rules....

Reactions: 2 users
Not going to lie, I’ve been checking this page incessantly the last couple of days and the silence is killing me. Anyone think there will be waitlist movement today? This has been the big day the last few years, but who knows what’s up with these new aamc rules....

I just withdrew my acceptance this morning. Really tough to do because this school impressed me so much but I’m glad one of you will hear good news now!

Reactions: 3 users
This prolonged silence is making me wonder whether there will be any waitlist movement at all this year :(

For those who were accepted, did you guys get any kind of deadline for committing to enroll?

For those who were accepted, did you guys get any kind of deadline for committing to enroll?
I just scoured the admissions website and my portal to no avail...I had July 8th in mind, but I think I'm confused with another school.

Input from others accepted? Is it possible VTC doesn't have a CTE deadline?

I just scoured the admissions website and my portal to no avail...I had July 8th in mind, but I think I'm confused with another school.

Input from others accepted? Is it possible VTC doesn't have a CTE deadline?
On the pre-matriculation checklist there's an "intent to matriculate" form that had a 4/30 deadline, but not sure how strict that is. There are also ~20 new members in the official FB group right now, so based on that there may still be a chance for some waitlist movement. Hope that helps! Fingers crossed for you guys!

On the pre-matriculation checklist there's an "intent to matriculate" form that had a 4/30 deadline, but not sure how strict that is. There are also ~20 new members in the official FB group right now, so based on that there may still be a chance for some waitlist movement. Hope that helps! Fingers crossed for you guys!
You're right, but that's the Plan To Enroll deadline - we can still be on another school's waitlist until VTC's Commit To Enroll deadline, if one exists...

Thanks for the info! Just to clarify- are there a total of 20 members on the facebook page? Or are there 20 new members that just recently joined?

Thanks for the info! Just to clarify- are there a total of 20 members on the facebook page? Or are there 20 new members that just recently joined?
It's the main group for all current students so it has a lot of members, but ~20 that just joined recently and appear to be the new incoming M1s (and you only get access once you submit your intent to matriculate so I would assume these are the people that have committed).