2018-2019 Virginia Tech Carilion

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We weren’t told a specific date or timeline but apparently there will be “a few acceptances in March (probably to get to the 42)”

I’d predict less than 10 acceptances are left to get to the 42, and then there will be more in April to fill out the class. No clue about the waitlist procedures though.
They make their waitlist in April.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just wondering how many are in the active pool currently...keep wondering if I stand a chance at all
There's quite a few people in the active pool. Each round of acceptances they give out what? 15 acceptances? Interviewing 1x/month with 30+ interviewees, and from what I've seen not too many post-II rejections.
 
There's quite a few people in the active pool. Each round of acceptances they give out what? 15 acceptances? Interviewing 1x/month with 30+ interviewees, and from what I've seen not too many post-II rejections.

I doubt that this last round of acceptances will have 15 acceptances. The feeling I got from the interview was that there would be a few (probably just under 10) to finish up the 42 in March and then based on the intial pre-April 30th shuffling, there would be a few more admits in April. However, I don't know if the acceptances in April are given to "active pool" folks or if it is after the waitlist is made. My guess is that active pool remains till those few acceptances in April and then they massively narrow down for their waitlist (which I think is very small, ~10-20?, because their class is only 42).

Does anyone know what date in March the next round of acceptances will be? I think last year it was mid-March exactly.
 
Where those lucky 42 people are invited up to Roanoke for schmoozing to convince them to go to VTC.

A part of me hopes that it goes very poorly so a few people pull their acceptance quick and I can sneak in through the wait-list sooner rather than later.

Haha they haven’t even finalized the 42 yet! We still got the March acceptance round to hope for lol.
 
Haha they haven’t even finalized the 42 yet! We still got the March acceptance round to hope for lol.

but isn't that only for those not in the active pool (i.e. from those who interviewed in feb)?

I mean, I hope not because this is my 110% top choice. and I will drop everything, sell my house, and be there in a heart beat if my phone rings.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I doubt that this last round of acceptances will have 15 acceptances. The feeling I got from the interview was that there would be a few (probably just under 10) to finish up the 42 in March and then based on the intial pre-April 30th shuffling, there would be a few more admits in April. However, I don't know if the acceptances in April are given to "active pool" folks or if it is after the waitlist is made. My guess is that active pool remains till those few acceptances in April and then they massively narrow down for their waitlist (which I think is very small, ~10-20?, because their class is only 42).

Does anyone know what date in March the next round of acceptances will be? I think last year it was mid-March exactly.

So if you're in the active pool is there a chance you'll hear in march or are we just destined to the waitlist when they make it in April?
 
So if you're in the active pool is there a chance you'll hear in march or are we just destined to the waitlist when they make it in April?
I am under the impression we won't hear anything until April because our emails said that we would be "eligible for selection for the April round of acceptances." March acceptances should probably just be those who have interviewed and are awaiting a decision.
 
I am under the impression we won't hear anything until April because our emails said that we would be "eligible for selection for the April round of acceptances." March acceptances should probably just be those who have interviewed and are awaiting a decision.

Lol I didn’t realize that only folks that recently interviewed (aka me) were up for that, my bad. Tbh how much of a chance is there on the waitlist? Isn’t it super small and rarely used?
 
Have any January Interviewees heard back yet?

I haven't. They said mid March, right?

Complete silence from my end as well.

March is for us Jan/Feb interviewees. Last year, phone calls were on March 13th and the VTC admissions website says something along the lines of: "42 acceptances by March 15th to follow AAMC rules/guidelines." Today is probably a no but I wouldn't be surprised if acceptance calls went out pretty much any day this week!

Fingers crossed!!
 
Congrats, did you send a letter of intent or anything?

Thanks!

No I did not send a letter of intent but I did send a specific thank you letter after my interview that included some additional reasons why I really liked the school based on my interview day and conversations with students/faculty.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was also accepted this week from the Jan/Feb interview group! Is anyone planning on going to second look next weekend??

Congrats! I kinda want to go but its a little last minute and the cost + distance isn't quite worth it in my opinion. If it was in mid April, I'd certainly go.

If you do go, let me know how it goes?
 
It'll be so interesting to look around and see all of you there wondering who is the face behind which username...

I feel like if anyone understood the reference of my username, they could very easily figure out who I was. I was kinda banking on there being an assortment of charcuterie at some point and being able to spot @Unlimited Apps by the sheer load of cured meats and fancy cheese on their plate.
 
Does anyone know what time we need to arrive at VTC on Friday for second look? The "Save the Date" email they sent out originally says we need to be there at noon. However, their detailed agenda has the first event starting at 2 PM. Thanks!
 
September interviewee here. Was told in October that I'd remain active until re-evaluation in April. I haven't sent any updates yet because I haven't had any major changes to my application that the school would find interesting, but I'm wondering if people think a letter reminding the school of my interest would be a good idea and, if so, would it be smarter to do it before or after the April decisions are made? Also: Do they want updates through the secondary portal or emailed directly to the admissions committee?
 
September interviewee here. Was told in October that I'd remain active until re-evaluation in April. I haven't sent any updates yet because I haven't had any major changes to my application that the school would find interesting, but I'm wondering if people think a letter reminding the school of my interest would be a good idea and, if so, would it be smarter to do it before or after the April decisions are made? Also: Do they want updates through the secondary portal or emailed directly to the admissions committee?

There is a spot on the application to add updates so probably that way. And I would venture to guess doing it before the decisions are made would help? That is my plan anyway! 🙂
 
September interviewee here. Was told in October that I'd remain active until re-evaluation in April. I haven't sent any updates yet because I haven't had any major changes to my application that the school would find interesting, but I'm wondering if people think a letter reminding the school of my interest would be a good idea and, if so, would it be smarter to do it before or after the April decisions are made? Also: Do they want updates through the secondary portal or emailed directly to the admissions committee?

I would definitely just re-express your interest. Act fast though because I emailed about an update a few weeks ago and they said to upload by the end of March so the committee will see it before final voting soon.
 
I would definitely just re-express your interest. Act fast though because I emailed about an update a few weeks ago and they said to upload by the end of March so the committee will see it before final voting soon.
Thanks! Working on getting this in tonight!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad