2018-2019 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KIWI the Meme GOD what’s up! Yeah they explicitly said I need more research if I want an interview, which I found quaint because I thought other parts of my app could be determined as more lacking.

Sorry to hear that :( Can I ask what your research background is like? Super confused what this school's yardstick is tbh

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that :( Can I ask what your research background is like? Super confused what this school's yardstick is tbh
No worries, luckily I’ve been accepted elsewhere. I had a short stint in a lab for like 100ish hours

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea . They assign the interview dates for you . I got February 9th. I asked them if there are any closer dates , and they said that they have interviews this Saturday and the next one is February 9th. So I guess they have them only 1-2 times a month

I just interviewed there a couple of days ago and they said that they interview once a month. February is their last interview weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed a few days ago, should we be sending thank you emails? It was my first MMI, so I don't know what's standard...

I interviewed a few days ago, should we be sending thank you emails? It was my first MMI, so I don't know what's standard...
I didn't send anything and I've been wait-listed since September!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear you've been waitlisted, but kickass username my dude
Always great to meet a fan! Taking a break from a cooking tour to try my hand at your cleric schools. Frankly, Merle isn't pulling his weight and I wanted to see if it really takes more than 4 years of school and a residency to cast a basic Healing Word.

Does anybody know the latest date on which VTC gives acceptances off the waitlist? Checked the 2016-17 thread, and it looked like it went as late as end of June (yikes)...wondering if that's still the case

Does anybody know the latest date on which VTC gives acceptances off the waitlist? Checked the 2016-17 thread, and it looked like it went as late as end of June (yikes)...wondering if that's still the case
It's pretty standard for wait lists to extend nearly until orientation. With the VTC curriculum depending so much on having precisely sized small groups, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the wait-list option open until day 1

If you were accepted, are there any additional tabs on your portal? I have the Admissions Decision (Second look/deposit status etc.) but any information on sending in our official transcript or FAFSA?

Decided to cancel my interview on 2/9 due to financial strain. Hope one of you benefits!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to cancel my interview on 2/9 due to financial strain. Hope one of you benefits!!!

Much thanks to you mate. II for February 9th!

From the start, this school was up high on my list and had an asterisk for "special interest." Glad to get an opportunity to interview and check out the unique school!

How did everyone think the interview was, generally speaking? (Obviously you can't disclose specifics or revealing information)

From the start, this school was up high on my list and had an asterisk for "special interest." Glad to get an opportunity to interview and check out the unique school!

How did everyone think the interview was, generally speaking? (Obviously you can't disclose specifics or revealing information)
Congrats! When were you complete?

Congrats! When were you complete?

Mid-August. Keep in mind (if you are still in the running for an interview) that February 9th is the last day of interviews and I believe they are currently finalizing the last few spots for that date (if they haven't already).

Lots of fun! There are some quirks to their MMI that shed a lot of positive light on the school. Overall a great interview experience- helpful presentations and tour of the town.

I posted an update to the portal about a week ago but haven't gotten any email acknowledgement or confirmation. Have any of you called them or emailed them after submitting an update letter or is it enough to just upload to the portal?

I posted an update to the portal about a week ago but haven't gotten any email acknowledgement or confirmation. Have any of you called them or emailed them after submitting an update letter or is it enough to just upload to the portal?

Yes. Just upload it and they get it.

Folks that just went to the interview - do you recall when they said they would make a decision on your cohort? I was interviewed Jan 12 and they said they would get back to us in March. I don't recall when in March...
Also anyone know when the final round of interviews is?

Folks that just went to the interview - do you recall when they said they would make a decision on your cohort? I was interviewed Jan 12 and they said they would get back to us in March. I don't recall when in March...
Also anyone know when the final round of interviews is?

February 9th is the last day/month of interviews if I am not mistaken. I would assume that that cohort will also heard back in March. I hope that VTCSOM doesn't give out all of their acceptances too early and that they save a significant amount for those interviewing after the new year!

Is there an accepted students facebook page for this year?

Couldn't find anything on the website or previous threads but does anyone know if they are receptive to LOI? Interviewed in January and this is definitely my top choice. Given how slim the acceptance rate is I'm wondering if an LOI would help (if they even are receptive to them) if I haven't been waitlisted and I'm still waiting to hear a decision?

Couldn't find anything on the website or previous threads but does anyone know if they are receptive to LOI? Interviewed in January and this is definitely my top choice. Given how slim the acceptance rate is I'm wondering if an LOI would help (if they even are receptive to them) if I haven't been waitlisted and I'm still waiting to hear a decision?

How slim is the acceptance rate post-interview?

I was wondering the same thing .... the class is only 43 ppl , and I know that there were acceptances already ....
Since they have about 6-7 interview dates total, each time inviting about ~42 students...I would venture to guess it's 30% ish at best (totally guessing)

Is it just me , or the numbers look discouraging ?
Unfortunately, yes...things get pretty competitive with a class as small as that and school as awesome as VTCSOM :( But then again, that was just my best guess, so take that with a grain of salt

Is it just me , or the numbers look discouraging ?
BTW, for what it's worth ~30% is a hell of a lot more encouraging than the 7% rate (source: MSAR) of getting an interview there in the first place lol

BTW, for what it's worth ~30% is a hell of a lot more encouraging than the 7% rate (source: MSAR) of getting an interview there in the first place lol
And they’ve already given out acceptances. So how many spots left ? 30? No idea ... but I am pessimistic

Why haven’t they rejected us all if their last interview date is in about 10 days?

R
Well , last year out of 307 interviewed 42 matriculated. That’s 13.6%
Right, but we also don’t know how many total acceptances went out. There may have been many people that were accepted but decided to go elsewhere, so the percentage is probably higher than that.

R

Right, but we also don’t know how many total acceptances went out. There may have been many people that were accepted but decided to go elsewhere, so the percentage is probably higher than that.

Yes, that was part of my estimation (I assumed they accept about double the number of people actually ending up in the matriculating class)

Update- their application portal has a section to upload update documents and there is a drop down menu to indicate that you are uploading a LOI so I guess that means they are receptive??? Unless it's a trap

Okay fam, need some clarification. I've been in the active pool since October (*sobs*), and for the longest time I thought this was synonymous with waitlist, but apparently it's not. Waitlist announcements happen in May-ish and tend to mean less chance of acceptance, but would anyone happen to know how many people tend to get accepted from the active pool in April? (are we less likely to get an acceptance than the first time around, or about the same?)

Okay fam, need some clarification. I've been in the active pool since October (*sobs*), and for the longest time I thought this was synonymous with waitlist, but apparently it's not. Waitlist announcements happen in May-ish and tend to mean less chance of acceptance, but would anyone happen to know how many people tend to get accepted from the active pool in April? (are we less likely to get an acceptance than the first time around, or about the same?)
I think it all depends on how many people have accepted their spot in the class. By the end of interviewing, I think they hand out all (or almost all) of the seats and then as people withdraw their acceptance and seats open up, they pull from the list. I don’t know anything for sure, but I’m guessing there isn’t a lot of movement out of the active pool since there is such a small class.

I think it all depends on how many people have accepted their spot in the class. By the end of interviewing, I think they hand out all (or almost all) of the seats and then as people withdraw their acceptance and seats open up, they pull from the list. I don’t know anything for sure, but I’m guessing there isn’t a lot of movement out of the active pool since there is such a small class.

They do 3 rounds of acceptance. Meaning they only fill about 14+ seats each round. If you're in the active pool, it means you'll be in the running for the next round. It's not based on withdrawals. Withdrawals will become more relevant towards wait-listed people, which happens closer to May. If you weren't picked 1st or 2nd round, I'm guessing your chances won't be that much greater in the 3rd round. But, the odds are still better than being wait-listed. I'd still have hope. I'm also in the active pool, but I'll most likely withdraw unless I get accepted AND they give me lots of $$. But that doesn't seem too likely tbh. LOL

They do 3 rounds of acceptance. Meaning they only fill about 14+ seats each round. If you're in the active pool, it means you'll be in the running for the next round. It's not based on withdrawals. Withdrawals will become more relevant towards wait-listed people, which happens closer to May. If you weren't picked 1st or 2nd round, I'm guessing your chances won't be that much greater in the 3rd round. But, the odds are still better than being wait-listed. I'd still have hope. I'm also in the active pool, but I'll most likely withdraw unless I get accepted AND they give me lots of $$. But that doesn't seem too likely tbh. LOL

Interesting, this is what I suspected. However, wouldn't late April actually be considered the 4th round (aka outside of the normal 3 rounds in Oct, Dec, & Feb aka not great odds at all)?

Interesting, this is what I suspected. However, wouldn't late April actually be considered the 4th round (aka outside of the normal 3 rounds in Oct, Dec, & Feb aka not great odds at all)?
Oh. You're probably right. I forgot about the one in Feb. Still. I think the odds are much better than being waitlisted.

Finally got the R! Complete 8/19. Email subject was "VTC has completed admissions interviews." No feedback provided. I guess if they keep you around long enough, they don't feel the need :laugh: Good luck to everyone waiting on decisions!

Edit: to clarify, this was pre-II.

Finally got the R! Complete 8/19. Email subject was "VTC has completed admissions interviews." No feedback provided. I guess if they keep you around long enough, they don't feel the need :laugh: Good luck to everyone waiting on decisions!

got the same email....almost like they ran out of interviews so we don't get one lol

got the same email....almost like they ran out of interviews so we don't get one lol

Sorry to hear! The last interview day was this past Saturday unfortunately. Good luck with your cycles!

+1

February interviewees: I'm curious, when were you told you'd hear about your decision post-II?

February interviewees: I'm curious, when were you told you'd hear about your decision post-II?

We weren’t told a specific date or timeline but apparently there will be “a few acceptances in March (probably to get to the 42)”

I’d predict less than 10 acceptances are left to get to the 42, and then there will be more in April to fill out the class. No clue about the waitlist procedures though.