2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1000 characters each

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?

Describe yourself:

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

@monarch221 @PapaGuava

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
apologies if someone mentioned this already, but do their 1,000 character limits include spaces or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
1000 characters each

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?

Describe yourself:

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

@monarch221 @PapaGuava
Thanks!

Just received secondary. OOS

Reactions: 3 users
1000 characters each

@monarch221 @PapaGuava

Is there a consensus as to answer or not if you HAVE applied to medical school, but NOT applied to the school in particular? This goes for all secondaries - can they even check if you applied to other schools?

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take everyone to go from "pending" for payment and secondary app submitted before you could hit "complete?" It says 24-48 hours on the website but wasn't sure if it was faster or slower than that... Everything else of mine is in

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take everyone to go from "pending" for payment and secondary app submitted before you could hit "complete?" It says 24-48 hours on the website but wasn't sure if it was faster or slower than that... Everything else of mine is in

Took about 3 days for me

I submitted a while ago but asking now...did anyone else’s responses remove paragraph breaks once you submitted?

I just got my secondary yesterday, verified 7/17

I just got the secondary email but no link to the application portal? How do I access that portal?

I just got the secondary email but no link to the application portal? How do I access that portal?

I also just now received a "secondary" email talking about diversity (I'm half urm) with no new link. Not too sure why they sent me this though as I already got a secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the email but never got an original secondary invite. At least I'm finally done now :D (once they mark me as complete...)

Also finally got my secondary I guess? It gives instructions to access the portal, but also says “we notice that you have made progress on your supplementary application” which is not the case bc I hadn’t gotten the secondary until now lol

Also finally got my secondary I guess? It gives instructions to access the portal, but also says “we notice that you have made progress on your supplementary application” which is not the case bc I hadn’t gotten the secondary until now lol

+1! Never got the first secondary request, guys....

Verified 6/20

Reactions: 2 users
+1! Never got the first secondary request, guys....

Verified 6/20
+2 was really confused at first and went digging through my email in case I missed it or something but nope.

1000 characters each

@monarch221 @PapaGuava

Apologies if this has been asked earlier, but does anyone know if this includes taking time off between undergraduate and graduate education? Or are they specifically referring to an interruption within a given degree?

Anybody email the admissions office about whats going on with the URM email but no secondary?

Anybody email the admissions office about whats going on with the URM email but no secondary?
i got the secondary before the URM email. I, at this point, have no idea how they operate here lmao.

Apologies if this has been asked earlier, but does anyone know if this includes taking time off between undergraduate and graduate education? Or are they specifically referring to an interruption within a given degree?

I was confused about this too but chose to include my time off (current one-year gap) between undergrad and medical school matriculation.

Has anyone answered the “why aren’t you using the premedical advisory committee” question? No clue what to say to that lol

is the complete button not working for anyone else too?

After submitting everything necessary, how long did it take for the "complete" option to work?

After submitting everything necessary, how long did it take for the "complete" option to work?

When I submitted my secondary, all I had left was the fee and secondary that said "pending". I checked the next day and those were checked off so I was able to click complete then.

Yea I've been talking to people on facebook, it seems a lot of people today got an email "reminding them to monitor their secondary status/application" because some they noticed some kind of "progress" had been made. I never received an initial secondary invite so I was confused as to whether this was the initial or not? I definitely have not received communication from them before.

Yea I've been talking to people on facebook, it seems a lot of people today got an email "reminding them to monitor their secondary status/application" because some they noticed some kind of "progress" had been made. I never received an initial secondary invite so I was confused as to whether this was the initial or not? I definitely have not received communication from them before.
+1

are you on the AMCAS facebook group??? haha

PSA to anyone abroad and trying to open the Albany secondary portal, you need a US or Canada VPN. Dunno why they thought this was cool but it doesn’t open otherwise

PSA to anyone abroad and trying to open the Albany secondary portal, you need a US or Canada VPN. Dunno why they thought this was cool but it doesn’t open otherwise
This has not been true for me...

Can't stop checking to see if my payment has gone from "processing" to "yes." It's been almost 48 hours... Wanting to get this submitted!

I got the email yesterday encouraging me to apply because of my URM status but I was verified the first day and have still not received a secondary. I called a couple of times today and no one answered

Posing this question once more into the void before i submit
I did! Just explained the circumstances, I’m a non trad. I said my undergrad doesn’t offer committee letters to alum due to volume of requests, and my post bacc school doesn’t offer committee letters at all, so in lieu of a committee letter I’m submitting individual letters from faculty and physicians who can speak to my experience in x, y, z.