2019-2020 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:

Essay: Additional Information (Optional)
Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program.

Required Essay: Greatest Challenge
The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Required Essay: Research
Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. In addition, please briefly share your motivation for pursuing this research project and reflect on how this experience affected you. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.

Required Essay: Small Group Essay
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?
Please limit your response to 300-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Required for College Program: Areas of Improvement Essay
Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it.
Please limit your response to 500-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Required for College Program: Criticism and Feedback Essay
Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do?
Please limit your response to 500-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Required for College Program: Career Essay
How do you see your career ten years from now?

Required for College Program: Teaching Essay
When were you challenged to teach, coach, or mentor others to learn a new skill or improve an old one? Please describe how it went and what you learned from the experience.

Essay: Gap Year
Did you take a gap year?

If you are taking time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation, please tell us in no more than four sentences what you are doing during this gap, and why.

Please upload a picture of yourself. The picture is NOT required, but will help us to remember you. Please note that if your uploaded picture looks sideways to you, it will to us too! We can't make changes to your photo on our end after you have uploaded and submitted your application.
If you choose to not upload a photo click the 'Skip' button below to complete the page.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Case Western Reserve University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whenever this moves forward in the cycle, I would love to hear more from a current member of the College program for feedback on differences to the university route and competitiveness!

I believe the numbers are on their website! But I’m also curious to hear about CCLCM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn’t find average stats for CCLCM. Granted, I am not internet fluent.
Although for programs like that stats are really a threshold sort of thing and extracurriculars are what gets you in

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
oh wow! Case offers a lot of interviews! And I’m surprised only 1000 students apply to their college program when 5000 apply to their university program. That’s really interesting to me. Although it is kind of nice to see that if you apply to the university program or the college program your chances of getting into either one are about the same Percentage. Do you have any idea if you can interview at them both? Or by applying to the college program do you take yourself out of the running for the university program?

oh wow! Case offers a lot of interviews! And I’m surprised only 1000 students apply to their college program when 5000 apply to their university program. That’s really interesting to me. Although it is kind of nice to see that if you apply to the university program or the college program your chances of getting into either one are about the same Percentage. Do you have any idea if you can interview at them both? Or by applying to the college program do you take yourself out of the running for the university program?

I looked at old threads and you can potentially interview for both.

Not a Case student. But you can interview for both. Also, there might be so few College applicants because they have approximately 5 billion secondary essays to write.

Hyperbole aside, I think you need to write around 5 additional essays for Case. It’s kinda prohibitive from someone just throwing an app in. That secondary took me forever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 2 users
Not a Case student. But you can interview for both. Also, there might be so few College applicants because they have approximately 5 billion secondary essays to write.

Hyperbole aside, I think you need to write around 5 additional essays for Case. It’s kinda prohibitive from someone just throwing an app in. That secondary took me forever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Goootcha. Hey, long secondary means nothing to me. My full time profession for July will be writer of essays.

Fortunately, I've already prewritten this secondary because I'm doing them alphabetically. It doesn't change much year to year and none of the questions were particularly difficult to answer!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a recent Case graduate actually from the med school for a MS in Medical Physiology and the building I was in for classes is no longer the med school lol :lol: . So if I get to interview at Case it will literally be a new experience for me since I haven't seen the new campus near Cleveland Clinic:cat:

Not to be a party pooper, but CCLCM acceptance rate is lower than Case’s (it’s ~2000 applications, not 1000 -ultimate acceptance rate likely 3-4% assuming 50% yield).

That said, lots of reasons people, including super qualified people, don’t apply to CCLCM. First and foremost it’s 5 years, second it is designed for people who want to be physician researchers, third there are still students who are unaware of the program, there are so many darn secondary essays, etc.

You can definitely apply to both, as others have said. They used to have pretty distinct feels but not that they’re moving to the same building (I’ve seen it - it’s incredible, like with interviewing at either program just to see the architecture) I imagine the cultures will meld a bit. I have friends who got into cclcm and not case, case but not cclcm, and both, so no hard and fast rule on that front.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be a party pooper, but CCLCM acceptance rate is lower than Case’s (it’s ~2000 applications, not 1000 -ultimate acceptance rate likely 3-4% assuming 50% yield).

That said, lots of reasons people, including super qualified people, don’t apply to CCLCM. First and foremost it’s 5 years, second it is designed for people who want to be physician researchers, third there are still students who are unaware of the program, there are so many darn secondary essays, etc.

You can definitely apply to both, as others have said. They used to have pretty distinct feels but not that they’re moving to the same building (I’ve seen it - it’s incredible, like with interviewing at either program just to see the architecture) I imagine the cultures will meld a bit. I have friends who got into cclcm and not case, case but not cclcm, and both, so no hard and fast rule on that front.
Even still, 3%-4% is around the average acceptance rate for most medical schools. I can totally dig that as a potential option (Especially understanding I am likely in the top 3-4% of applicants)

Do you get extra certification in the 5th year? It seems like the last three years are really flexible according to the website.

Does anyone know if there is a research essay for the university program? I am unclear from last year's thread if there was or wasn't one. It has been there in previous years though.

Does anyone know if there is a research essay for the university program? I am unclear from last year's thread if there was or wasn't one. It has been there in previous years though.

I believe it’s now only for CCLCM.

Edit: prompts below

Last edited:
I like that Dr. Mehta's subtitles corrected her on the facility being 500,000 sqft not 50,000 sqft

alright peeps, additional essays -- why us or diversity? word limit?

alright peeps, additional essays -- why us or diversity? word limit?
Not a why us - but a diversity essay if you truly have something contributory. Looks like there is an infinite word count. Despite my love of talking, I am thinking of leaving this one blank.

Reactions: 4 users
OK everyone, looks like the Research essay has a hard 500 word cutoff.

Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program.

The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. In addition, please briefly share your motivation for pursuing this research project and reflect on how this experience affected you. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?
Please limit your response to 300-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it.

Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do?

When were you challenged to teach, coach, or mentor others to learn a new skill or improve an old one? Please describe how it went and what you learned from the experience.

Did you take a gap year?

If you are taking time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation, please tell us in no more than four sentences what you are doing during this gap, and why.

Please upload a picture of yourself. The picture is NOT required, but will help us to remember you. Please note that if your uploaded picture looks sideways to you, it will to us too! We can't make changes to your photo on our end after you have uploaded and submitted your application.
If you choose to not upload a photo click the 'Skip' button below to complete the page.

@PapaGuava

Did you take a gap year?

@PapaGuava
Not the MD one right? MD (optional) research question is worded differently .... "One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations. "

Not the MD one right? MD (optional) research question is worded differently .... "One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations. "
Oh, didn’t realize it would change a little bit between University and CCLCM programs. Yah, my prompts I posted are from CCLCM...although I checked both boxes?

I don't think there is a word limit for the optional University MD track research essay. Mine is a little over 550 words and it accepted it (however, I haven't submitted yet)

I don't think there is a word limit for the optional University MD track research essay. Mine is a little over 550 words and it accepted it (however, I haven't submitted yet)
I checked the university program only and my research essay was required

• Wow
I checked the university program only and my research essay was required
That's so weird? I just double checked mine and it is definitely the university program, except mine is optional...

• Wow
Mine says "optional" as well, but I don't trust that, haha.

For UP, I think it's optional for applicants who didn't participate in research. It's required for CCLCM because they anticipate that all applicants have some sort of research experience.

Curiosity question: what makes some of y’all not throw your app at the CCLCM?

That's so weird? I just double checked mine and it is definitely the university program, except mine is optional...
It must have lagged or something because it updated to optional when I relogged on.

When you choose CCLCM and it asks "If your affiliation is through research...", does anyone know if they are asking if we have any affiliation with research at Case Western/CCLCM or just any research experience we have done anywhere?

When you choose CCLCM and it asks "If your affiliation is through research...", does anyone know if they are asking if we have any affiliation with research at Case Western/CCLCM or just any research experience we have done anywhere?
Any affiliation with Cleveland clinic

Bout to do this headshot - I own a grey suit jacket, a white shirt, a pink tie and a black tie.

What do y’all think, black tie probs?