2019-2020 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't read the gap year prompt too well and didn't see they want only 4 sentences so I wrote a whole paragraph. Never been so creative at revising/combining with semi-colons and dashes ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't read the gap year prompt too well and didn't see they want only 4 sentences so I wrote a whole paragraph. Never been so creative at revising/combining with semi-colons and dashes ;)

Mine is 4 fairly long sentences, so basically a whole paragraph.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Commas, hyphins, and semicolons are your friends for this purpose lol I tend to find my average sentence length to be around 20 some words....

• Haha
So is there a word/character limit on the research prompt? trying to pre-write, but I have a 5 projects to describe so I'm at like 900 words lol

For the Cleveland Clinic, it says that they require a letter from a research advisor. If I'm submitting a Committee Letter, do I have to ask my research advisors to send their letters separately? Or does a Committee Letter suffice?

For the Cleveland Clinic, it says that they require a letter from a research advisor. If I'm submitting a Committee Letter, do I have to ask my research advisors to send their letters separately? Or does a Committee Letter suffice?
Is your research adviser's letter a part of the committee letter? If not then it needs to be separate.

Is your research adviser's letter a part of the committee letter? If not then it needs to be separate.

I submitted my 3 research letters to my health advisor, who compiled the committee packet.

I literally Copypasta'd my entire poster (Except for the results/diagrams - discussion was sufficient) then chunked it all down until it was at <3500 characters, thn went through and made it more coherent.

how technical would you say you made this research essay?

Make sure it's understandable to a wide enough audience. Don't get too technical.

I made mine technical enough for an educated reader, but with no expectation that they knew anything about the field. I had my mom who works in a field completely unrelated to medicine read it and see if she could understand it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Was your essay split 50:50 between the research and the more reflection part of the question? Or did one part dominate

I prewrote and last year they didn't have the reflection part, but fortunately, I was under the character limit. So I just added a paragraph at the end for reflection. It ended up being more like 75% research and 25% reflection. I think 50/50 may be more ideal. Depends. I also had a whole PhD's worth of research to summarize...

I prewrote and last year they didn't have the reflection part, but fortunately, I was under the character limit. So I just added a paragraph at the end for reflection. It ended up being more like 75% research and 25% reflection. I think 50/50 may be more ideal. Depends. I also had a whole PhD's worth of research to summarize...

Ah, that is definitely different from my situation, haha. Thanks for the input!

What are thoughts on talking about a research project I did in high school for the research prompt? It was for my IB extended essay and was a pretty large-scale independent hypothesis driven research project. It was for biology but was related to ecology.

I have a project from university that I did a poster presentation and published in the NEJM that I'm mainly talking about. I just thought the high school one could also be kind of fun to talk about as my first real project but not sure if I shouldn't bring it up because it was high school.

What are thoughts on talking about a research project I did in high school for the research prompt? It was for my IB extended essay and was a pretty large-scale independent hypothesis driven research project. It was for biology but was related to ecology.

I have a project from university that I did a poster presentation and published in the NEJM that I'm mainly talking about. I just thought the high school one could also be kind of fun to talk about as my first real project but not sure if I shouldn't bring it up because it was high school.

Yeah, I would just focus on the university stuff. I did IB, too!

Reactions: 2 users
I am thinking of writing a short 1000-2000 character why case essay for the last prompt for the additional information section. Do you guys think that is a good idea?

Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but what do you mean by bs?

Like if you have a legitimate reason like “I went to undergrad here and my significant other lives in Cleveland so I’d really like to go to Case” vs. something generic like “The curriculum sounds good.”

Does the CCLCM see your responses to Case Western's questions? I'm wondering because I'm not sure if I can reuse a story for Case and CCLCM

*facepalm* i should start reading these prompts more carefully before I submit.

• Haha
Is it worth applying here with only 80 hours of research?

Does 300-1000 characters limit for Case secondaries include
spaces or not?

Thank you

Last edited:
Are the questions that are only required for the college program also shared with the university program? Was thinking about using the optional essay to talk about what I am doing next year but only if the University program but only if the university program doesn't see the "please tell us in no more than four sentences what you are doing during this gap" essay.

Wow can they check who has actually applied before they send out emails with the subject line “You Could Be a Great Fit for the CWRU School of Medicine”

Thanks for the heart attack, case

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Just got this recruitment email from Case. Thinking of replying asking for that II.

View attachment 272331Just got this recruitment email from Case. Thinking of replying asking for that II.

I think they may know something I don’t because they said they received the results of the MCAT I took IN MAY... must’ve blacked out from the trauma taking it a second time caused because I don’t remember it at all...

• Haha
Wow can they check who has actually applied before they send out emails with the subject line “You Could Be a Great Fit for the CWRU School of Medicine”

Thanks for the heart attack, case
I got this one and one from USF (which I also applied to already). These med schools are messing with me.

I think they may know something I don’t because they said they received the results of the MCAT I took IN MAY... must’ve blacked out from the trauma taking it a second time caused because I don’t remember it at all...
Lol +1. My email also says that... I took it in March...

I think their marketing is detached from application process. The marketing got a list of people who meet the 516+ scores Case is targeting unless someone got this letter with a score below that.