-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Case Western Reserve
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted972488
Didn't read the gap year prompt too well and didn't see they want only 4 sentences so I wrote a whole paragraph. Never been so creative at revising/combining with semi-colons and dashes 😉
Mine is 4 fairly long sentences, so basically a whole paragraph.
Mine was 8/9 sentences originally lolMine is 4 fairly long sentences, so basically a whole paragraph.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
Commas, hyphins, and semicolons are your friends for this purpose lol I tend to find my average sentence length to be around 20 some words....Didn't read the gap year prompt too well and didn't see they want only 4 sentences so I wrote a whole paragraph. Never been so creative at revising/combining with semi-colons and dashes 😉
9
907914
500 words for cclcmSo is there a word/character limit on the research prompt? trying to pre-write, but I have a 5 projects to describe so I'm at like 900 words lol
For the Cleveland Clinic, it says that they require a letter from a research advisor. If I'm submitting a Committee Letter, do I have to ask my research advisors to send their letters separately? Or does a Committee Letter suffice?
9
907914
Is your research adviser's letter a part of the committee letter? If not then it needs to be separate.For the Cleveland Clinic, it says that they require a letter from a research advisor. If I'm submitting a Committee Letter, do I have to ask my research advisors to send their letters separately? Or does a Committee Letter suffice?
Is your research adviser's letter a part of the committee letter? If not then it needs to be separate.
I submitted my 3 research letters to my health advisor, who compiled the committee packet.
9
907914
then you are GTGI submitted my 3 research letters to my health advisor, who compiled the committee packet.
I literally Copypasta'd my entire poster (Except for the results/diagrams - discussion was sufficient) then chunked it all down until it was at <3500 characters, thn went through and made it more coherent.
how technical would you say you made this research essay?
D
deleted972488
how technical would you say you made this research essay?
Make sure it's understandable to a wide enough audience. Don't get too technical.
D
deleted993760
Make sure it's understandable to a wide enough audience. Don't get too technical.
I made mine technical enough for an educated reader, but with no expectation that they knew anything about the field. I had my mom who works in a field completely unrelated to medicine read it and see if she could understand it.
D
deleted993760
I submitted my 3 research letters to my health advisor, who compiled the committee packet.
I have my 3 three research letters in the committee packet so I did that.
Make sure it's understandable to a wide enough audience. Don't get too technical.
Thanks! Was your essay split 50:50 between the research and the more reflection part of the question? Or did one part dominate
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted972488
Thanks! Was your essay split 50:50 between the research and the more reflection part of the question? Or did one part dominate
I prewrote and last year they didn't have the reflection part, but fortunately, I was under the character limit. So I just added a paragraph at the end for reflection. It ended up being more like 75% research and 25% reflection. I think 50/50 may be more ideal. Depends. I also had a whole PhD's worth of research to summarize...
I prewrote and last year they didn't have the reflection part, but fortunately, I was under the character limit. So I just added a paragraph at the end for reflection. It ended up being more like 75% research and 25% reflection. I think 50/50 may be more ideal. Depends. I also had a whole PhD's worth of research to summarize...
Ah, that is definitely different from my situation, haha. Thanks for the input!
Spaghettisaurus_rex
Full Member
What are thoughts on talking about a research project I did in high school for the research prompt? It was for my IB extended essay and was a pretty large-scale independent hypothesis driven research project. It was for biology but was related to ecology.
I have a project from university that I did a poster presentation and published in the NEJM that I'm mainly talking about. I just thought the high school one could also be kind of fun to talk about as my first real project but not sure if I shouldn't bring it up because it was high school.
I have a project from university that I did a poster presentation and published in the NEJM that I'm mainly talking about. I just thought the high school one could also be kind of fun to talk about as my first real project but not sure if I shouldn't bring it up because it was high school.
D
deleted972488
What are thoughts on talking about a research project I did in high school for the research prompt? It was for my IB extended essay and was a pretty large-scale independent hypothesis driven research project. It was for biology but was related to ecology.
I have a project from university that I did a poster presentation and published in the NEJM that I'm mainly talking about. I just thought the high school one could also be kind of fun to talk about as my first real project but not sure if I shouldn't bring it up because it was high school.
Yeah, I would just focus on the university stuff. I did IB, too!
I am thinking of writing a short 1000-2000 character why case essay for the last prompt for the additional information section. Do you guys think that is a good idea?
D
deleted972488
I am thinking of writing a short 1000-2000 character why case essay for the last prompt for the additional information section. Do you guys think that is a good idea?
If it isn’t bs.
Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but what do you mean by bs?If it isn’t bs.
GloballyMed
Full Member
Submitted!
Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but what do you mean by bs?
He be talkin bout that bull**** my friend
D
deleted972488
Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but what do you mean by bs?
Like if you have a legitimate reason like “I went to undergrad here and my significant other lives in Cleveland so I’d really like to go to Case” vs. something generic like “The curriculum sounds good.”
Like if you have a legitimate reason like “I went to undergrad here and my significant other lives in Cleveland so I’d really like to go to Case” vs. something generic like “The curriculum sounds good.”
Got it. Thanks!
Does the CCLCM see your responses to Case Western's questions? I'm wondering because I'm not sure if I can reuse a story for Case and CCLCM
Was there a word limit on the research essay...?
*facepalm* i should start reading these prompts more carefully before I submit.Didn't read the gap year prompt too well and didn't see they want only 4 sentences so I wrote a whole paragraph. Never been so creative at revising/combining with semi-colons and dashes 😉
y'all think this is something worth emailing about?*facepalm* i should start reading these prompts more carefully before I submit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted972488
Absolutely noty'all think this is something worth emailing about?
Is it worth applying here with only 80 hours of research?
Does the CCLCM see your responses to Case Western's questions? I'm wondering because I'm not sure if I can reuse a story for Case and CCLCM
I believe CCLCM app readers can see them all
D
deleted972488
University program, yes. College program, no.Is it worth applying here with only 80 hours of research?
I believe CCLCM app readers can see them all
I actually called them the other day and they said they don't see each others haha
Rule of thumb for character limits - spaces are always included in a limit.Does 300-1000 characters limit for Case secondaries include
spaces or not?
Thank you
Rule of thumb for character limits - spaces are always included in a limit.
Got it ... Thank you
honestlyidk
Full Member
anyone else having trouble submitting payment?
premed-DC-2020
Full Member
Are the questions that are only required for the college program also shared with the university program? Was thinking about using the optional essay to talk about what I am doing next year but only if the University program but only if the university program doesn't see the "please tell us in no more than four sentences what you are doing during this gap" essay.
9
907914
You mean to tell me the 80 hours invested in researching different medical schools doesn't count? Bogus. /sCollege program, no.
D
deleted976595
Wow can they check who has actually applied before they send out emails with the subject line “You Could Be a Great Fit for the CWRU School of Medicine”
Thanks for the heart attack, case
Thanks for the heart attack, case
9
907914
D
deleted976595
View attachment 272331Just got this recruitment email from Case. Thinking of replying asking for that II.
I think they may know something I don’t because they said they received the results of the MCAT I took IN MAY... must’ve blacked out from the trauma taking it a second time caused because I don’t remember it at all...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted972488
I got this one and one from USF (which I also applied to already). These med schools are messing with me.Wow can they check who has actually applied before they send out emails with the subject line “You Could Be a Great Fit for the CWRU School of Medicine”
Thanks for the heart attack, case
View attachment 272331Just got this recruitment email from Case. Thinking of replying asking for that II.
I just got that email too, but it said "We just received the results of the MCAT that you took in May". I took the MCAT in March, not May????
D
deleted972488
Lol +1. My email also says that... I took it in March...I think they may know something I don’t because they said they received the results of the MCAT I took IN MAY... must’ve blacked out from the trauma taking it a second time caused because I don’t remember it at all...
9
907914
Oh yah, didn’t even notice...I took it March too...I just got that email too, but it said "We just received the results of the MCAT that you took in May". I took the MCAT in March, not May????
I think their marketing is detached from application process. The marketing got a list of people who meet the 516+ scores Case is targeting unless someone got this letter with a score below that.I think they may know something I don’t because they said they received the results of the MCAT I took IN MAY... must’ve blacked out from the trauma taking it a second time caused because I don’t remember it at all...