2019-2020 Commonwealth (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some other Q&As (paraphrased):
  • Are there many mandatory lectures? Will I be able to study from home easily?
    • There are very few mandatory lectures, about twice a week on average. I think close to half our class skipped most lectures. You can absolutely study from home or elsewhere.
    • All lectures are recorded. The downside to this is that it's difficult to hear when students ask questions and not all professors are good about repeating what was asked. The other downside is that sometimes the lectures don't record for some technical reason or other so you might miss the information.
  • Is there ample amount of opportunity for basic science or clinical research?
    • There's plenty of research to be done. Basic science is now a little harder to come by in Scranton because they got rid of all the labs, but you can do it in Danville over the rising M2 summer. Danville has research going on all the time. You will definitely not have a problem with getting clinical research at any site. You just have to ask. If you do are having trouble, just ask Dr. Lobo, the dean for student research. She is the kindest, most amazing person and will help you with just about anything.
  • Is it common for students here to use mainly board materials rather than actual lecture materials to study? I thought I heard somewhere that their exams are similar to NBME.
    • First year most of us used only class material. Starting with systems at the end of first year, most of us used a combination of lecture and board prep materials. There was a small contingent of my class who used only board prep materials starting with systems. I did not think the exams were board style during first year. They became more board style towards the end and during second year, but definitely not close to what Step was. They are always trying to improve though so I don't know what the exams are like now.
  • Would you say those who primarily used board materials scored significantly lower than others in your first year cohort?
    • Probably not, but I don't know for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Deferred earlier this week on 1/27. interviewed on 11/20. OOS applicant.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Just got the post-II rejection letter in the mail - best of luck to everyone else!

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had an interview here last week and I think it went pretty well but I'm still worried. I'm IS but my mcat is a 503. If I got in I would 100% attend so yall think I should send a letter of intent (with a somewhat significant update) now to show how committed I am or after a deferral (if that happens) which might look sorta like a desperate hail mary to them. Honestly, as I type this out I realize how crazy I sound but this was my only interview so far so my neuroticism is at an all-time high.

Had an interview here last week and I think it went pretty well but I'm still worried. I'm IS but my mcat is a 503. If I got in I would 100% attend so yall think I should send a letter of intent (with a somewhat significant update) now to show how committed I am or after a deferral (if that happens) which might look sorta like a desperate hail mary to them. Honestly, as I type this out I realize how crazy I sound but this was my only interview so far so my neuroticism is at an all-time high.

I would probably send a letter of interest with an update before a decision is made on your application. I mean look at it this way, if you get rejected, then you'll regret not sending a letter.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think this could hurt you in any way

withdrew my II here. i hope that it goes to one of you guys waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did they have space to hold luggage for people that are flying in?

Axed, pre-II, Complete 9/13 , OOS

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
When does everyone think the committee will be meeting next? I know someone mentioned that they meet every two weeks, but it seems like that not be the case.

When does everyone think the committee will be meeting next? I know someone mentioned that they meet every two weeks, but it seems like that not be the case.
Don't really know if it's exact, but when I was there on Jan 6 we were told initial decisions for our group would be made in 6 weeks (i.e. Definite A or R). So I'm expecting some people will hear next week and maybe a meeting is occurring this week?

Interviewed 12/6 and haven't heard anything.
Don't really know if it's exact, but when I was there on Jan 6 we were told initial decisions for our group would be made in 6 weeks (i.e. Definite A or R). So I'm expecting some people will hear next week and maybe a meeting is occurring this week?
I interviewed 12/6 and they told us 6-8 weeks (this is week 10), haven't heard yet, so I don't think you'll be hearing yet for a little while

• Hmm
Got placed on waitlist for interview today (LM 71 OOS, complete 7/12/19) but was wondering what the likelihood is that this will lead to eventual interview? What's the outlook?

Interviewed 12/6 and haven't heard anything.

I interviewed 12/6 and they told us 6-8 weeks (this is week 10), haven't heard yet, so I don't think you'll be hearing yet for a little while

Just to clarify, we were told that applicants may not hear back if they're still in the running (basically a silent hold as more applicants interview). Applicants with a determined R or A would be hearing back in ~6 weeks.

Just to clarify, we were told that applicants may not hear back if they're still in the running (basically a silent hold as more applicants interview). Applicants with a determined R or A would be hearing back in ~6 weeks.

Not saying you’re wrong but they didn’t say that to my group and the November people didn’t hear until the way end ofJanuary so I think there’s a good chance that they’re just really behind. Idk though, did any one besides me from December hear anything?

Not saying you’re wrong but they didn’t say that to my group and the November people didn’t hear until the way end ofJanuary so I think there’s a good chance that they’re just really behind. Idk though, did any one besides me from December hear anything?
Interviewed on 12/6 also and have not heard anything. I’m sure winter break just delayed it. If you take out 2 weeks for winter break we are on week 8. I looked back a last years thread and it seems the December interviews took a little longer.
I know if I was in their position I would want the time to relax with my family during the holidays.
The result will be the same whether it’s 6 weeks or 12.

Can vouch for this. People who interviewed the same day as me in November got accepted on the same day I was placed on hold in late January (12 weeks). We had also been told 6-8 weeks.

Hey everyone

Was wondering who you guys addressed the thank you letters to? Because there were multiple interviewers.

Just got the email for accepted student's day! I saw when you RSVP you can indicate the number attending. Is anyone bringing a guest or is that generally frowned upon? I would like to bring my spouse since there is a good chance we will be moving to the area

Hey everyone

Was wondering who you guys addressed the thank you letters to? Because there were multiple interviewers.
I personally sent separate, tailored emails for each interviewer since we talked about completely different things.

Just got the email for accepted student's day! I saw when you RSVP you can indicate the number attending. Is anyone bringing a guest or is that generally frowned upon? I would like to bring my spouse since there is a good chance we will be moving to the area

Bring them for sure

Withdrew my acceptance from here this morning - wish everyone the best on your respective journeys!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hi everyone, current M1 here. Happy to answer any questions about the school, either here or via DM. I don't know anything about the acceptance/waitlist schedule but can try to help clarify things for those deciding, which are very different than they were for current M2's. (And could be for the next class as well, so I'll do my best.)

Got placed on waitlist for interview today (LM 71 OOS, complete 7/12/19) but was wondering what the likelihood is that this will lead to eventual interview? What's the outlook?
Also got this. Anyone know?

Reactions: 3 users
did you send this to the admissions email, or to their personal emails?
not op but I sent my student interviewer thank you note to the admissions email and the faculty interviewer thank you note to him directly since his information was available on the website

Accepted just now by email. 1/6 interview OOS

Reactions: 6 users
I got defered to the next committe meeting. I interviewed on 1/17 but the email went to my promotional tab (like the interview did). I never sent a thank you to this school because I was so busy the past few weeks. Would it be worth to send one now or do we think it doesn't matter at this point?

Accepted! Interviewed 11/06, IS, got the email around 3:30 this afternoon.

Reactions: 2 users
I got defered to the next committe meeting. I interviewed on 1/17 but the email went to my promotional tab (like the interview did). I never sent a thank you to this school because I was so busy the past few weeks. Would it be worth to send one now or do we think it doesn't matter at this point?

Thanks for the hint regarding promotions inbox. I usually search my my email for 'admission' as soon as I wake up and again during lunch. Email came around 330 pm so didn't catch it till reading your post.

Also deferred, interviewed 1/06, IS. Thought interview day went pretty well, but I guess not quite well enough to get me over the hump.