2019-2020 Commonwealth (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students have advice on housing?
^ You can try Linden apartments and Adams, but they're usually filled up fairly quickly. There are also apartments in the Chamber of Commerce building that are very nice and bougie.

East Mountain is a nice neighborhood in Scranton. It's about 7 minutes away from school most days, 15 minutes on most worst days.

There are apartments that are close to Aldi and Wegman's, but they are difficult to get in and out of traffic-wise.

Clarks Summit is a very nice place to live, though it is a little farther from the school. It's the town where all the doctors live. It also has a better school district.

Generally stay away from too close to UScranton because the landlords there are kinda sketch. Most neighborhoods are safe, but the further you get from the school, the lower the quality of the rentals until you get to Dunmore (which is the town immediately abutting Scranton).

just wondering if moving 20 mins away will add to pressure??
^ Not a big deal. Unless you're the forgetful type in which case it will be very difficult to drive back and forth from home to collect your belongings.

Below is the relevant portion from one of my previous posts:
The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum with pockets of fairly dangerous areas and pockets of quite posh areas. Scranton itself is relatively safe, though if you grew up in a Pleasantville-type of suburbia you're going to think it's more on the dangerous side. IMO Scranton merely looks more dangerous than it actually is with Wilkes-Barre having more of the dangerous areas.

Housing is very cheap, but the places near the school go by fast. You can get a house, an actual house, for somewhere around $1000/month. It might not be the prettiest house, but definitely livable. Avoid housing near University of Scranton. They're all slumlord quality. Avoid the area about a half mile NE of GCSOM. Either stay within or go further beyond into Dunmore. It's the next town over, but it's actually not that far and it's a much nicer area.

Feel free to PM me if any of you want another set of eyes to look at your potential rentals.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Is there a page or place where students looking for roommates can find other potential roommates?

Also what

Members don't see this ad :)
The one I received did not say much about that. I am IS but the only thing my letter said regarding my qualification was "Students selected to receive the Geisinger Commonwealth Mission Award have demonstrated experiences, characteristics and attributes that align with the mission of the institution." Based on that, I would say no, but don't take my word for it.

I didn’t even see a mission award mentioned anywhere. Between the geisinger primary care as well as the Abigail scholars programs that’s 50 full ride scholarships (40 of these, provided you want to be a Gp). That’s a lot !!! I’ve not seen this kind of financial assistance at many other schools I’ve been accepted too. Is it just me, or is geisinger and NYU one of the few?

I didn’t even see a mission award mentioned anywhere. Between the geisinger primary care as well as the Abigail scholars programs that’s 50 full ride scholarships (40 of these, provided you want to be a Gp). That’s a lot !!! I’ve not seen this kind of financial assistance at many other schools I’ve been accepted too. Is it just me, or is geisinger and NYU one of the few?
Geisinger's "scholarships" are thinly guised loans. They're contingent on you returning to work for them for X number of years at a salary you don't know while still accruing interest. I wasn't a fan when I attended the financial aid meeting and they explained the logistics. NYU's free tuition is just that - you're not obligated to stay in NYC post residency, etc. Other schools do similar things, like UPenn gives around 30 full rides per year, WashU gives half of their class full rides, Cornell & Stanford are debt free. There is a difference between a scholarship and a loan imo and Geisinger hides it well

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks and that’s where I too was confused. If i found myself doing 4 yrs with geisinger, would I owe interest? It’s vague in the description and my interview day was a cluster mess as I was delayed in an interview and missed 3/4 of the financials.

Geisinger's "scholarships" are thinly guised loans. They're contingent on you returning to work for them for X number of years at a salary you don't know while still accruing interest. I wasn't a fan when I attended the financial aid meeting and they explained the logistics. NYU's free tuition is just that - you're not obligated to stay in NYC post residency, etc. Other schools do similar things, like UPenn gives around 30 full rides per year, WashU gives half of their class full rides, Cornell & Stanford are debt free. There is a difference between a scholarship and a loan imo and Geisinger hides it well

Not really hiding anything they explain exactly how it works

Thanks and that’s where I too was confused. If i found myself doing 4 yrs with geisinger, would I owe interest? It’s vague in the description and my interview day was a cluster mess as I was delayed in an interview and missed 3/4 of the financials.
No, if you work for them they pay it, but if you chose to go elsewhere, you'd pay it. I don't think it's fair to call something a scholarship when it's a loan if that makes sense.

Makes sense and thanks. I’m still not 100% sure on the interest portion as the wording is vague.

No, if you work for them they pay it, but if you chose to go elsewhere, you'd pay it. I don't think it's fair to call something a scholarship when it's a loan if that makes sense.
It's not much different than an NHSC scholarship. The Abigail Geisinger Scholars page specifically states that it is a loan: "The Abigail Geisinger Scholars Program allows select students to receive up to four years of tuition in the form of a loan, which can be forgiven upon completion of a service commitment as a Geisinger physician. "

What I'm still curious about, and it's a valid question that all of you considering these scholarships should be asking, is whether they will keep compensation in line with the market at that future time. Another thing to keep in mind that is that this loan forgiveness is NOT tax-free. That may not mean much to you now, but it could have huge implications for you down the line, especially if you have a family by then.

It's not much different than an NHSC scholarship. The Abigail Geisinger Scholars page specifically states that it is a loan: "The Abigail Geisinger Scholars Program allows select students to receive up to four years of tuition in the form of a loan, which can be forgiven upon completion of a service commitment as a Geisinger physician. "

What I'm still curious about, and it's a valid question that all of you considering these scholarships should be asking, is whether they will keep compensation in line with the market at that future time. Another thing to keep in mind that is that this loan forgiveness is NOT tax-free. That may not mean much to you now, but it could have huge implications for you down the line, especially if you have a family by then.

It was made pretty clear that pay as a Geisinger physician will be competitive with other positions at the time of matriculation into said position. So basically, you’re paid competitively as a doc for whatever that pay might be 8 ish years down the road.

Has anyone who interviewed in early feb heard back yet? Getting close to 8 weeks and kinda nervous...

I didn’t know about this scholarship either, and I did not apply for it. There is nothing mentioned on the documents I was sent about having to work for Geisinger or anything of that sort. I did not want to apply for the other scholarships for that reason. The only criteria were enrolling as an M1, submitting the correct documents for matriculation, and keeping my grades up throughout my 4 years as a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my financial aid letter, will probably be withdrawing. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone who interviewed in early feb heard back yet? Getting close to 8 weeks and kinda nervous...
interviewed 2/7, no word. regularly checking mailbox in case I get the snail mail rejection RIP

FWIW, GCSOM is refunding graduation fees to the class of 2020. They are also allowing students who have finished required rotations to graduate early so they can go work if students want to do so. Geisinger Health System is offering $25/hour for such students, though the early graduation is not limited to working just for Geisinger.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I received my financial aid package and will be withdrawing due to the COA. I hope this helps someone on the waiting list!

I'm guessing practically all financial aid has been allocated to the scholars programs

Yeah COA is absurd because I’m OOS
Seriously understand that. I know one of the 10 scholarship (aka loan) recipients. While they like the idea, don’t like being tied to that area of Pa For 4 more years. They’d be ok if Atlantic City were an option but with current court filings, that doesn’t look like an amicable possibility.

withdrew application today (had acceptance) - good luck WLers :)

I received my financial aid package and will be withdrawing due to the COA. I hope this helps someone on the waiting list!
Congrats on the acceptance and we appreciate you withdrawing to help someone on the waiting list! When was your interview?

Seriously understand that. I know one of the 10 scholarship (aka loan) recipients. While they like the idea, don’t like being tied to that area of Pa For 4 more years. They’d be ok if Atlantic City were an option but with current court filings, that doesn’t look like an amicable possibility.
what current court filings?

Do they release decisions only on Fridays or throughout the week?

These are the dates they have released acceptances this cycle according to SDN
Tuesday October 15
Thursday November 14
Friday November 15
Monday December 16
Monday January 27
Friday February 21
Thursday March 5

Reactions: 2 users
Really wish we’d be able to have an accepted students day. I’d like to meet and greet. How do we even look for housing if we are in this COVID mess.

Congrats on the acceptance and we appreciate you withdrawing to help someone on the waiting list! When was your interview?

Thanks, I interviewed in early November and was accepted in January. Good luck to you!

Yeah I’m fortunate to have a scholarship at another school but I really loved this school so it’s a bummer!

I didn't want to apply for their "scholarship" only to be an indentured servant to rural PA after I finish my training... it's not worth it for me. I want to be able to choose where I live and work after all this is over :hungover:

I didn't want to apply for their "scholarship" only to be an indentured servant to rural PA after I finish my training... it's not worth it for me. I want to be able to choose where I live and work after all this is over :hungover:
Same, I didn’t bother applying because I knew that I didn’t want to be locked in anywhere

These are the dates they have released acceptances this cycle according to SDN
Tuesday October 15
Thursday November 14
Friday November 15
Monday December 16
Monday January 27
Friday February 21
Thursday March 5
Thank you! Very helpful and very cool

For those interested: AtlantiCare and Geisinger agree to end partnership

Currently, there are no plans to end any relationship with the medical school.
Wow just saw this in the paper. They settled quickly. Nice to know the relationship with the med school will stay as AtlantiCare has some great programs...

I would assume that AtlantiCare employment wouldn’t count towards loan repayment, but am not sure as the articles I’ve seen are vague.

Same, I didn’t bother applying because I knew that I didn’t want to be locked in anywhere
That’s 1/2 my thinking but the agreement is for 2 years employment minimum and the flip side is, I’m not sure I want to have an unknown location become my only choice.

Has anyone who interviewed February 7 heard back yet?

I don't think the 1/31 people have heard back either? They are approaching 9 weeks. I hope one of them corrects me if I am wrong. I'm 2/10 and have heard nothing.

I don't think the 1/31 people have heard back either? They are approaching 9 weeks. I hope one of them corrects me if I am wrong. I'm 2/10 and have heard nothing.
can confirm. nothing from 1/31 group

This is correct. There is also a very heavy in-state, primary care bias for all awards, unless you fall into certain demographics. When considering awards, do read and consider carefully.

Edit: I should add that even finding out what all the awards/grants/scholarships are isn't really possible, which is why a good chunk of these awards are almost unrecognizable. They don't state outright what they all are and what qualifications/considerations there are for each. Also, if you have committed to Geisinger and are not on your parents' insurance, don't forget that you may qualify for Medicare and do not have to go with the school's insurance plan.

Last edited:
Wow just saw this in the paper. They settled quickly. Nice to know the relationship with the med school will stay as AtlantiCare has some great programs...

I would assume that AtlantiCare employment wouldn’t count towards loan repayment, but am not sure as the articles I’ve seen are vague.
We've only been assured that current students' rotations are unaffected. The status beyond that is unknown.

Does anyone know if they group decisions for different interviews on the same day? For example, do they typically send out decisions for the people who interviewed on 1/31, 2/7, and 2/10 on the same day?

Does anyone know if they group decisions for different interviews on the same day? For example, do they typically send out decisions for the people who interviewed on 1/31, 2/7, and 2/10 on the same day?

I believe this is the case.