2019-2020 Commonwealth (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe this is the case.
I was 1/25 and heard back like weeks ago maybe even more than a month ago. Idk if this helps but it does appear like they are working in batches.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed 1/17 and got deferred 2/21, haven't heard anything since.

Members don't see this ad :)
In what form have people been receiving acceptances/rejections?
Acceptances have been received first via email and then through the mail. Rejections so far have been mailed but I wonder if they will be emailed because of COVID--people may have P.O. boxes, college students may have changed addresses when they moved home.

Reactions: 1 users
is there a difference between being deferred vs alternate list?

I just got an email saying i was placed on an alternate list. I read prior forums and it appears that people have been moved from the deferred list to the alternate list. I guess deferred list means they postpone the decision to reject, waitlist, or accept and alternate list is a waitlist.

Alternate list as well IS but had been planning on withdrawing and now will do so! Best of luck to all of you!

Alternate list, interviewed 2/3. Anyone know the movement off the alternate list in the past?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted just now.
Hang in there my waitlisted chads, I will be withdrawing due to COA.
Geisinger can't match what my school is offering me and that's sad because I loved Pennsylvania, and Geisinger.

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone is wondering, the acceptance letter is accompanied by a financial aid letter.
And then there is another letter with Zoom dates for live "virtual accepted students day." It is divided into 4 days that showcase different things, starting in 3 days and ending the 17th. If you get accepted after the 17th, don't fret, they are going to be recorded so that you don't miss on what we saw.

Interviewed early November, deferred late January, placed on Alternate list today. OOS

Alternate list just now. OOS.

Interviewed 11/1
Deferred 12/16
Alternate list 4/3

Just got put on the alternate list...
IS, interviewed 11/4, deferred end of January

Does anyone know if they are receptive to letters of continued interest? on the portal it says only to send letters with "new, substantial updates".

ur boi got put on the alternate list. He lives to see another day with the adcoms. :cool:

But seriously whats the alternate list?

2/7 interview by the way, out of state.

IS
LM ~70
Interviewed 1/6
Deferred 2/21
Alternate list 4/3

That's all I know!

Is it me or did the last sentence of the alternate list email sound favorable?

Reactions: 1 user
Alternate list as well. Not sure what the likelihood of movement is though, there seem to be a decent amount in the same boat
Best of luck to all

Dont give up hope, lot of people saying no after receiving the financials..

I don't have access to MSAR. But if the one you guys do then, please tell us how many people get waitlisted and how many of those waitlisted get accepted. I don't see a lot of post-interview rejections in sdn for Giesinger so I was curious.

I don't have access to MSAR. But if the one you guys do then, please tell us how many people get waitlisted and how many of those waitlisted get accepted. I don't see a lot of post-interview rejections in sdn for Giesinger so I was curious.

So It looks like 380 waitlist spots and 33 acceptances granted to those on the waitlist.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
So It looks like 380 waitlist spots and 33 acceptances granted to those on the waitlist.

Remember that it's likely that people on the waitlist may have acceptances elsewhere, and a percentage of these people will ultimately choose elsewhere even if offered a spot at Geisinger.

Last edited:
GCSoM has around 1000 interviews.
Out of those 1000 interviews, they extend about 331 offers.
Out of the 331 offered a seat, approximately 115 accept and matriculate.

I'm a current graduate student at GCSoM.
If anyone has any questions about the school, surrounding area, or even the MBS program, feel free to PM me.

GCSoM has around 1000 interviews.
Out of those 1000 interviews, they extend about 331 offers.
Out of the 331 offered a seat, approximately 115 accept and matriculate.

I'm a current graduate student at GCSoM.
If anyone has any questions about the school, the surrounding area, or even the MBS program, feel free to PM me.
331 is waitlist and acceptance combined or just acceptance? I know most schools use a factor of 2 and just want to be sure. Btw thanks for helping us out.

That is around 8.5 percent. So technically statistically alternative list buddies we have only 8.5 percent chances to be accepted to this college. So at a modest level given that I am OSS, I think for me it might be as low as 5 to 6 % then.

But then I also agree with SW8S that people might withdraw bc they have acceptance. Hopefully by end of April 200 of those approx 381 withdraw making chances for in-state acceptance to be around 20 percent and oos of state around 10 to 15 percent.

Honestly, I thought I had higher changes post-interview. Let's hope for the best.

For people who have accepted to their top choice and are in an alternative list, I hope they withdraw sooner than later.

Also, people, who have acceptance at Geisinger and want to go to another med school they have been accepted at I request them to withdraw sooner than later.

So people like me in the alternative list who are super interested in the school can see mobility sooner rather than later and plan things. :)

That is around 8.5 percent. So technically statistically alternative list buddies we have only 8.5 percent chances to be accepted to this college. So at a modest level given that I am OSS, I think for me it might be as low as 5 to 6 % then.

But then I also agree with SW8S that people might withdraw bc they have acceptance. Hopefully by end of April 200 of those approx 381 withdraw making chances for in-state acceptance to be around 20 percent and oos of state around 10 to 15 percent.

Honestly, I thought I had higher changes post-interview. Let's hope for the best.

For people who have accepted to their top choice and are in an alternative list, I hope they withdraw sooner than later.

Also, people, who have acceptance at Geisinger and want to go to another med school they have been accepted at I request them to withdraw sooner than later.

So people like me in the alternative list who are super interested in the school can see mobility sooner rather than later and plan things. :)
I will be withdrawing today :)

Reactions: 6 users
I also got put on the alternate list on the same day as everyone else. Interviewed 2/12, IS. I was wondering if this school has a high priority waitlist or if everyone gets put on the same waitlist?

I also got put on the alternate list on the same day as everyone else. Interviewed 2/12, IS. I was wondering if this school has a high priority waitlist or if everyone gets put on the same waitlist?
I am pretty sure it is ranked but they explicitly said in the email that they will not be disclosing that number.

Did all of your alternate email at the end state something along the lines that they will be in contact as soon as a spot becomes available?

Any current students comment on local dining. What do you generally do for meals? Also is there a gym for students, if no any recommendations?

Any current students comment on local dining. What do you generally do for meals? Also is there a gym for students, if no any recommendations?
The school itself has a pretty decent cafeteria. There is also a vendor that usually sets up shop across the street which I've heard is pretty good (never tried them). One of the best places to get food if you're on campus is the hospital across the street. They are not affiliated with Geisinger anymore, but they still give students 15% off (and the food is already cheap). It's my favorite place to get food when on campus, and it is surprisingly good for hospital cafeteria food.

One of my favorite places for Sushi is a little place called Yume about 10 minutes north of the school. There is an amazing tai place called tai tai in center city. Plenty of bars and whatnot in center city as well if you're into that.

Otherwise, there are tons of nice places to grab food like 2 blocks downtown from the school. And Coopers seafood (Yes, from the Office) is a 2 minute walk from school.

No gym for students, but there are a bunch of places around town. Don't have a recommendation, as I work out from home, sorry.

The school itself has a pretty decent cafeteria. There is also a vendor that usually sets up shop across the street which I've heard is pretty good (never tried them). One of the best places to get food if you're on campus is the hospital across the street. They are not affiliated with Geisinger anymore, but they still give students 15% off (and the food is already cheap). It's my favorite place to get food when on campus, and it is surprisingly good for hospital cafeteria food.

One of my favorite places for Sushi is a little place called Yume about 10 minutes north of the school. There is an amazing tai place called tai tai in center city. Plenty of bars and whatnot in center city as well if you're into that.

Otherwise, there are tons of nice places to grab food like 2 blocks downtown from the school. And Coopers seafood (Yes, from the Office) is a 2 minute walk from school.

No gym for students, but there are a bunch of places around town. Don't have a recommendation, as I work out from home, sorry.
Thanks so much. Hate to ask a stupid question but which hospital are you referring to? I didn’t get much time to look around while I was up there. The commonwealth hospital next door is no longer affiliated with geisinger?

Commonwealth has no affiliation with the school

Thanks so much. Hate to ask a stupid question but which hospital are you referring to? I didn’t get much time to look around while I was up there. The commonwealth hospital next door is no longer affiliated with geisinger?

Yes, they have no affiliation. Other than giving students a nice food discount.
We hear every so often the possibility of a union, but nothing official ever seems to come of it.

Geisinger's hospital is a few blocks away though if that is your concern.

W yesterday due to high COA, good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Is there a large percentage of students accepted from the MBS program? I remember they touted it a lot on interview day, and it seems like a lot of current students who presented during the webinars completed the MBS program.

Withdrew

I hope it goes to one of you
It's been real guys :horns: catch ya later

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a large percentage of students accepted from the MBS program? I remember they touted it a lot on interview day, and it seems like a lot of current students who presented during the webinars completed the MBS program.
I am in the MBS program currently. The unofficial number is that Geisinger saves 20% of its MD seats for MBS graduates.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

• Wow
Commonwealth has no affiliation with the school
Yes, they have no affiliation. Other than giving students a nice food discount.
We hear every so often the possibility of a union, but nothing official ever seems to come of it.

Geisinger's hospital is a few blocks away though if that is your concern.

A little more background for anyone interested:
Regional Hospital and Moses Taylor Hospital are immediately adjacent to GCSOM, but they have no affiliation with Geisinger. They existed before the school was built. Regional and Moses Taylor are owned by Commonwealth Health, whose parent company is Tennessee-based Community Health Systems.

Prior to 2016, GCSOM was known as The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC). TCMC was consistently financially in the red and was looking for buyers. There were talks between TCMC and the University of Scranton but I heard through word of mouth that the U didn't think it was financially feasible for them to buy the school. In comes Geisinger and the school officially became GCSOM. Prior to the take over merger, MS3s at the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre campuses were allowed to rotate through all the local hospitals which included not only Geisinger, but the Commonwealth Health-owned Regional, Moses Taylor, and Wilkes-Barre General hospitals. After the merger, there were downgrades in Geisinger insurance reimbursements to non-Geisinger hospitals and all the hospitals were very unhappy about that. They used the only leverage they had (a stupid one) and kicked out the med students from those hospitals. I say this was stupid because medical student rotations have little to nothing to do with insurance reimbursement tiers. GCSOM students were officially not allowed to rotate at any of those hospitals for the next several years, though recently the tensions have begun to loosen and students are allowed in for a few things like grand rounds and such.

Many of the clinical preceptors are still Commonwealth Health employees. They can take students into clinic (e.g. for LIC) but most do not take them into the hospitals. This has caused some issues in the past, but the issues are becoming fewer as most students have Geisinger preceptors.