2019-2020 Commonwealth (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. withdrew. Hopefully someone gets it as well as the other “perks”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Undecided2020" . Seems like u are being more and more decided haha. I hope all your decisions bring out the best outcomes. :)
3 visits to Scranton area, the severance of AtlantiCare, yes it was very easy to say no

Reactions: 1 users
A little more background for anyone interested:
Regional Hospital and Moses Taylor Hospital are immediately adjacent to GCSOM, but they have no affiliation with Geisinger. They existed before the school was built. Regional and Moses Taylor are owned by Commonwealth Health, whose parent company is Tennessee-based Community Health Systems.

Prior to 2016, GCSOM was known as The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC). TCMC was consistently financially in the red and was looking for buyers. There were talks between TCMC and the University of Scranton but I heard through word of mouth that the U didn't think it was financially feasible for them to buy the school. In comes Geisinger and the school officially became GCSOM. Prior to the take over merger, MS3s at the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre campuses were allowed to rotate through all the local hospitals which included not only Geisinger, but the Commonwealth Health-owned Regional, Moses Taylor, and Wilkes-Barre General hospitals. After the merger, there were downgrades in Geisinger insurance reimbursements to non-Geisinger hospitals and all the hospitals were very unhappy about that. They used the only leverage they had (a stupid one) and kicked out the med students from those hospitals. I say this was stupid because medical student rotations have little to nothing to do with insurance reimbursement tiers. GCSOM students were officially not allowed to rotate at any of those hospitals for the next several years, though recently the tensions have begun to loosen and students are allowed in for a few things like grand rounds and such.

Many of the clinical preceptors are still Commonwealth Health employees. They can take students into clinic (e.g. for LIC) but most do not take them into the hospitals. This has caused some issues in the past, but the issues are becoming fewer as most students have Geisinger preceptors.
I'm a current 3rd year. We have almost no preceptors anymore who are employed by Commonwealth, at least at my campus. I had psych preceptors (with an independent practice) who did rounds at Commonwealth, but I didn't go in with them for that. It becomes a liability thing and you don't have the proper credentialing.

However, Geisinger is a pretty strong system, and I really think I got a lot of great clinical exposure through only Geisinger rotations. I have only positive things to say about our preceptors and the clinical variety that we are exposed to. The only rotation that I might say was lacking was inpatient pediatrics at Geisinger Wyoming Valley, since the patient volume is quite low. However, if you want to do that rotation at Danville for a more robust experience, you'll have no problems doing so.
Geisinger Danville is a really serious academic institution, that will expose you to a lot of complex cases. Geisinger Wyoming Valley is smaller, but still has strong clinical coverage in all specialties.

I'm more than willing to answer any questions regarding the school, the area, or anything else.

• Wow
Anyone know if this school accepts letters of intent/updates?
From their website:

Updates for the Admissions Committee
Applicants may submit up to two meaningful updates to their AMCAS application after submission. Examples include, but are not limited to: completion of a degree program, research publications/presentations and significant community service. Submissions must be emailed to the admissions office as a PDF attachment.

My guess is you can craft a letter of intent veiled thinly with some updates

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if this school accepts letters of intent/updates?
I have heard the letter of intent doesn't mean much for this school. Their alternative list is ranked and they rarely change the rank you were initially placed in.

From their website:

Updates for the Admissions Committee
Applicants may submit up to two meaningful updates to their AMCAS application after submission. Examples include, but are not limited to: completion of a degree program, research publications/presentations and significant community service. Submissions must be emailed to the admissions office as a PDF attachment.

My guess is you can craft a letter of intent veiled thinly with some updates
I have heard the letter of intent doesn't mean much for this school. Their alternative list is ranked and they rarely change the rank you were initially placed in.
Might not go with a Loi but I have a couple updates I can hit them with. Thanks y’all

Does anyone know when we can expect waitlist movement?

Does anyone know when we can expect waitlist movement?
last year's thread shows that people started getting calls about As off the waitlist starting in the first week of May, all the way through the first week of July so I bet movement will start soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew today, hope it goes to one of you! Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Off the waitlist today. Finally <3. Called this morning at 11:58. Third time applying. Stay stronk.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Has there been any other waitlist movement lately?

There is an accepted Facebook page now for us to communicate

Has anybody inquired about their position on the waitlist?

Did anyone else recently get the email about the MBS program?

Reactions: 2 users
Can we talk about the "i am pleased to inform you..."
couldnt think of a better way to start that email?
heart nearly beat out of my chest. what an emotional rollercoaster of an email.

edit: got the MBS email just now.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

I am STEAMING about the wording of that email

Unless if this is sent to all applicants on the alternate list
Im only thinking this because they said "your current position makes you eligible..."
They specifically mentioned our current position. Also yes the wording is so ridiculous I totally thought I was accepted

Given this email, I am definitely withdrawing my position on their waitlist. Would it be inadvisable on my part to indicate that this email(in addition to their advertising during interview day) is unprofessional? I would have considered attending their school if it hadn't been for these factors so I feel it would be doing them a favor to offer that constructive criticism

Reactions: 6 users
Given this email, I am definitely withdrawing my position on their waitlist. Would it be inadvisable on my part to indicate that this email(in addition to their advertising during interview day) is unprofessional? I would have considered attending their school if it hadn't been for these factors so I feel it would be doing them a favor to offer that constructive criticism

I'm assuming you're accepted elsewhere, so I think you could definitely write an email sharing your thoughts on this in a professional manner.

What did they advertise?

Do you have to write an email or can you just withdraw from the portal

What did they advertise?

Same thing, their MBS. They also sent one(maybe more?) email(s) out to candidates this cycle advertising it. They've been pushing it aggressively. Not cool all along in my book, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Do you have to write an email or can you just withdraw from the portal

IDK, guess I'll find out.

Unless if this is sent to all applicants on the alternate list

I am a graduate of the MBS program and am currently on the alternate list, I can confirm that they do infact send that email to all people on the alternate list regardless of position.

Reactions: 7 users

Same lmao I read “I am pleased to inform you...” and I think my heart exploded like 14 times

Same lmao I read “I am pleased to inform you...” and I think my heart exploded like 14 times

Yeah sadly, this isnt just for the cycle, they tend to send emails like that to the MBS class too about other stuff LOL Very unfortunate

Withdrew via email.

I hope anyone who is as disapointed as I am in their conduct(and is in a position to do so) makes their voice heard.

Reactions: 5 users
I also withdrew my spot on the waitlist today. Best of luck to all y’all

Haha. Same. I was like this a rejection or acceptance but again I never got the phone call. As I opened I was like ok whatever. I showed that to my sis and she also said who does that especially in this critical time period of waitlist students lol.

Im sorry. I cant get over the fact that the email subject was "Your Waitlist Status at Geisinger Commonwealth" when it had nothing to do with that. Its clear that they knew if they titled it "MBS" nobody would open the email. They are taking advantage of us and our angst. Its honestly really messed up

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I think what I found most disappointing (other than the location) was the quietness about The AtlantiCare Situation. It was one of the only reasons I applied. It’s sad when you have to find out important information like that from student dr network, and not from the school. Good luck to all on the wait list.

I can't believe they're still sending this e-mail out... I know they sent that out three years ago as well.
It's irritating that they're still doing that, but don't let that tarnish your opinion of our school as a whole.

I think what I found most disappointing (other than the location) was the quietness about The AtlantiCare Situation. It was one of the only reasons I applied. It’s sad when you have to find out important information like that from student dr network, and not from the school. Good luck to all on the wait list.
AtlantiCare split really abruptly from Geisinger in February. Our students who were assigned to AtlantiCare will still be able to complete their rotations for the next two years, but after that they won't be one of our campuses anymore.
It was a shock to all of us but really the school had nothing to do with it. It was a disagreement between the two big hospital systems. This kind of stuff happens everywhere.

Withdrew via email.

I hope anyone who is as disapointed as I am in their conduct(and is in a position to do so) makes their voice heard.
You absolutely should. In a professional and courteous way. The school will never know how awful those types of emails are if they don't hear from you and others in your situation. It will get heard and they'll likely change it.

Withdrawing from their waitlist. The MBS email was the last straw, the amount of disrespect for us as applicants and unprofessionalism this school has displayed has been more than enough for me to feel no sadness in going to another school. Interviewed in early October, waited over 10 weeks to get a decision (after being told 6-8) the decision was deferred, waited another month to get moved to waitlist, waited another 4 months to try and get any clarity on where I stand in on the waitlist, and nothing. Future classes looking at this thread need to know; you have to be prepared for the emotional rollercoaster and waiting game with any school, but ESPECIALLY this one.
Ps. Even when you think the interview goes well, don’t get ahead of yourself. I’m all about being hopeful but my faculty interviewer offered me research with him on the spot and I was still waitlisted.

Withdrawing from their waitlist. The MBS email was the last straw, the amount of disrespect for us as applicants and unprofessionalism this school has displayed has been more than enough for me to feel no sadness in going to another school. Interviewed in early October, waited over 10 weeks to get a decision (after being told 6-8) the decision was deferred, waited another month to get moved to waitlist, waited another 4 months to try and get any clarity on where I stand in on the waitlist, and nothing. Future classes looking at this thread need to know; you have to be prepared for the emotional rollercoaster and waiting game with any school, but ESPECIALLY this one.
Ps. Even when you think the interview goes well, don’t get ahead of yourself. I’m all about being hopeful but my faculty interviewer offered me research with him on the spot and I was still waitlisted.

My interviewer put his hand on my shoulder and said "I cant wait to see you here next year". Got defered and eventually waitlisted LMAO

My interviewer put his hand on my shoulder and said "I cant wait to see you here next year". Got defered and eventually waitlisted LMAO

MY INTERVIEWER DID THIS TOO. Grilled me for five minutes and then smiled and said "OK, saratonin, the interview is over. Frankly, I think youre exactly what we're looking for. Now, ask me some questions about Geisinger and let me convince you to come here." DEFFFEERRRREDDD> WAITLIST

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
MY INTERVIEWER DID THIS TOO. Grilled me for five minutes and then smiled and said "OK, saratonin, the interview is over. Frankly, I think youre exactly what we're looking for. Now, ask me some questions about Geisinger and let me convince you to come here." DEFFFEERRRREDDD> WAITLIST

I dunno why but something just tells me the interview doesn't matter as much as we think it does ://

A very SIMILAR thing happened to me. My interviewer told me that I am one of the "best interviewer" he has seen and he has been doing the interviews for a couple of years. My student interviewer also seemed very nice and encouraging. Very successful in terms of interview right? Well, same as you guys I end up getting in the alternative list. But one thing that my faculty interviewer told me is that all he can do is give feedback/endorsement for me and the decision is not in his hand. He doesn't have any power in decision making. So I can guess all the interviews can do is rate us. From my interview day pretty much everyone who interviewed thought that their interview went well. So let's say that the interview rating is the very saturated meaning most students do very well in terms of feedback they get. This gives less info to the adcom who actually makes the decision. This then just makes me wonder what was the point of the interview then. People who make decisions should be with the interviewers.

Also despite being a private school, they give about 80 seats to in-state people. So people who are out of state their chances are limited. Basically we are fighting for 35 seats that they quota us. In terms of stats, both my MCAT and GPA are higher than their overall admitted students' average. But I guarantee that out of state students stats should be way higher than their average in-state applicant to be accepted.

I think I’m starting to see a pattern here lmao. My interviewer legit shook my hand and complimented how great the interview went aaaaaand waitlist.