2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted by phone call!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Was there any girls in this forum who interviewed Nov. 4th?

Asking for a friend...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You can always ask, bub. You know my Reddit.

Maybe I want better for my fellow man, like every doctor should want?
Why do you think people use these forums? To exchange information and help other applicants out.

If you read my post, you'd know that I think it's not only predatory towards applicants and will possibly/probably hurt future patients, THAT'S why I posted it. My ties are bound by my location and by every single doctor I work for, every advisor I've had, and all the hospital/school admins I've talked to. When you're near something happening, people tend to talk about it more than when they're far away.

Please read my entire posts before speculating and spreading lies about me. Either your ignorance or insecurity is showing, likely both. You can ignore my post or challenge it, but do not just stand there and say it's a big conspiracy without speaking to me.

Feel free to message me on Reddit anytime, dude. You don't need to guess when I'm right there. It takes two seconds to make an account if you don't have one.

Ok, now I'm out. You know where to find me.
A lot of this is...not true. And the things that are true (e.g. high deposit) is standard for new DO schools. I agree it is predatory, but unless COCA prohibits it, it will continue to happen.

Just some input from someone also from the area, who is part of the state's medical education, but 100% didn't apply or get rejected from ICOM. There's a lot in --Gem's post that is true, but a little that is slightly misinformed. The overall message though, is correct. I have been pleasantly surprised by their preclinical work, but there are still major concerns about clinical rotations. This may be ironed out in the future, but you will have to advocate for yourself a bit more as an earlier student.

Reactions: 3 users
Just some input from someone also from the area, who is part of the state's medical education, but 100% didn't apply or get rejected from ICOM. There's a lot in --Gem's post that is true, but a little that is slightly misinformed. The overall message though, is correct. I have been pleasantly surprised by their preclinical work, but there are still major concerns about clinical rotations. This may be ironed out in the future, but you will have to advocate for yourself a bit more as an earlier student.

There are valid criticisms you could make, but with that being said, isn’t this quote:

“will possibly/probably hurt future patients”

just a little bit ridiculous? Or this other comically over the top line he posted on reddit:

“dangerously predatory and indolent school. We need more physicians, yes, but that doesn't mean we should shove out brutally unprepared ones.”

Because that seems like a ridiculous line, although I appreciate the colorful language. They do charge a big deposit, along with a bunch of other DO schools, and the clerkship rotation situation seems like a lot of students will be going out of state. But if you have any specific evidence about how ICOM is shoving out “brutally unprepared physicians” before the first students have gone on their rotations, let alone graduate and continued on to residency and practice, I’d be interested to see it. Reading through the reddit post, he does say things like he’s so glad he waited a year and got into an MD school, and that he’s an Idaho resident, so it does imply he perhaps applied to ICOM, but I have no idea. I’m sure he’s still reading this thread and will respond shortly. But given the over the top rhetoric and devoting so much time and energy to trash the school over several different platforms it does seem like he has an axe to grind.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I also grew up in the area, so I have as much knowledge as all of you, plus I actually go to the school. They are transparent with us about the clinical rotations and I'm not worried. I literally had lunch with our deans yesterday and they were completely forthcoming about both the positives and negatives they've been facing with clinicals so far. Both St. Luke's and St. Alphonsus are actively engaged with the school, and the prior poster's assertion that they were not is patently false. The head honcho of St. Luke's spoke at our white coat, for goodness' sake. They obviously don't "hate us". The further assertion that the community hates the school is even less true. I was hesitant prior to starting at ICOM because it is a new school, and a post like the one being discussed would have terrified me. Now that I'm at the school, I'm quite happy with the decision I made to attend here. We have an excellent culture, because the admissions committee actually cares about what kind of person you are, and this is strongly reflected in the classes. And the faculty will readily bend over backwards to make us successful. I'm not saying everything is flawless, and there are ALWAYS going to be risks associated with going to a brand new school, but instead of spreading borderline libelous rumors and tearing down an institution out of (very obvious) bitterness over something and further perpetuating a toxic culture in medicine, we should be striving to create a more positive culture in which all our medical schools, medical students, and physicians are the best that they can be. And that does NOT include spreading super negative and unfounded rumors.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
There are valid criticisms you could make, but with that being said, isn’t this quote:

“will possibly/probably hurt future patients”

just a little bit ridiculous? Or this other comically over the top line he posted on reddit:

“dangerously predatory and indolent school. We need more physicians, yes, but that doesn't mean we should shove out brutally unprepared ones.”

Because that seems like a ridiculous line, although I appreciate the colorful language. They do charge a big deposit, along with a bunch of other DO schools, and the clerkship rotation situation seems like a lot of students will be going out of state. But if you have any specific evidence about how ICOM is shoving out “brutally unprepared physicians” before the first students have gone on their rotations, let alone graduate and continued on to residency and practice, I’d be interested to see it. Reading through the reddit post, he does say things like he’s so glad he waited a year and got into an MD school, and that he’s an Idaho resident, so it does imply he perhaps applied to ICOM, but I have no idea. I’m sure he’s still reading this thread and will respond shortly. But given the over the top rhetoric and devoting so much time and energy to trash the school over several different platforms it does seem like he has an axe to grind.

In my opinion, yes, some of these statements seem to be exaggeration without true evidence. In reality, the true training that a physician gets is through a residency program, not a school, but it is the school's responsibility to prepare students well enough to get there. So this school's ability to prepare students for boards and a successful match may be the true measure of if students are "brutally unprepared." This is just not evident yet.

I have a genuine distrust of this school's motives, and do believe they are in the business of making money, not producing well train physicians that will serve Idaho, which is what they claim. I would not say that they are potentially hurting future patients with this school. If students are not equipped well enough to match and complete a residency, then they won't be practicing medicine or working with patients. If they are capable enough to match and complete a residency, then I would say I trust a majority of those training programs to prepare them well to serve the community.

None of that changes the fact that this school was not created for you or any other students to benefit from. It was not created for the community to benefit from. It was not created for patients to benefit from. It was created so that some dude in New Mexico could make more money.

In my opinion, yes, some of these statements seem to be exaggeration without true evidence. In reality, the true training that a physician gets is through a residency program, not a school, but it is the school's responsibility to prepare students well enough to get there. So this school's ability to prepare students for boards and a successful match may be the true measure of if students are "brutally unprepared." This is just not evident yet.

I have a genuine distrust of this school's motives, and do believe they are in the business of making money, not producing well train physicians that will serve Idaho, which is what they claim. I would not say that they are potentially hurting future patients with this school. If students are not equipped well enough to match and complete a residency, then they won't be practicing medicine or working with patients. If they are capable enough to match and complete a residency, then I would say I trust a majority of those training programs to prepare them well to serve the community.

None of that changes the fact that this school was not created for you or any other students to benefit from. It was not created for the community to benefit from. It was not created for patients to benefit from. It was created so that some dude in New Mexico could make more money.
There was a lot of pearl-clutching when for-profit hospitals opened as well as when Rocky Vista opened. Surprise, surprise, for-profit hospitals manage just fine, and Rocky Vista routinely now has I believe the highest DO board scores in the country.

Yeah I also grew up in the area, so I have as much knowledge as all of you, plus I actually go to the school. They are transparent with us about the clinical rotations and I'm not worried. I literally had lunch with our deans yesterday and they were completely forthcoming about both the positives and negatives they've been facing with clinicals so far. Both St. Luke's and St. Alphonsus are actively engaged with the school, and the prior poster's assertion that they were not is patently false. The head honcho of St. Luke's spoke at our white coat, for goodness' sake. They obviously don't "hate us". The further assertion that the community hates the school is even less true. I was hesitant prior to starting at ICOM because it is a new school, and a post like the one being discussed would have terrified me. Now that I'm at the school, I'm quite happy with the decision I made to attend here. We have an excellent culture, because the admissions committee actually cares about what kind of person you are, and this is strongly reflected in the classes. And the faculty will readily bend over backwards to make us successful. I'm not saying everything is flawless, and there are ALWAYS going to be risks associated with going to a brand new school, but instead of spreading borderline libelous rumors and tearing down an institution out of (very obvious) bitterness over something and further perpetuating a toxic culture in medicine, we should be striving to create a more positive culture in which all our medical schools, medical students, and physicians are the best that they can be. And that does NOT include spreading super negative and unfounded rumors.

To be fair, I think their point was that there are no rotations at the main campus hospitals (I assume downtown St. Luke's and St. Al's on Curtis), but that is something that I myself cannot verify. Both hospitals clearly have connections with the school and will be offering rotations.

Personally, I have concerns about the school, but I truly wish the students there the best. The quality of doctors in not always dependent on where they were educated, and I think many of the people attending ICOM will do well and serve patients well.

There are concerns, and now that I'm accepted, I'm feeling very paranoid about my decisions. The cost of living in Meridian is already expensive, and to be having to find more housing on top of that for your rotational sites would be frustrating. The ICOM page says they are affiliated with Treasure Valley and the Boise hospitals that entails.
Clinical Education — Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (This shows all the locations of 3rd years sites)

Interviewing there however was very positive, you are touring the school and see students as they work, and from what I could see students looked very happy and motivated. The staff I interacted with were not menacing and they had me believe that they really are set on growing this school into something incredible!

Plus they accepted me so that means they have good taste ;) jk

• Haha

I challenge you to find any company, business, anything in the realm of academia actually, in the US that is NOT in the business of making money... The whole med school process is in the business of making money (MCAT, MCAT prep, board prep, ridiculous AACOMAS and AMCAS fees, med school deposits, the list goes on) and that's just a byproduct of capitalism and a different topic all together.

In regards to this school, however, every faculty and staff member has the students as their priority. Anyone viewing these critical posts on SDN or reddit, I recommend talking and listening to students who actually attend the school to get an accurate depiction of how it runs. Feel free to message me if you have questions but be forewarned: I only have great things to say.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I challenge you to find any company, business, anything in the realm of academia actually, in the US that is NOT in the business of making money... The whole med school process is in the business of making money (MCAT, MCAT prep, board prep, ridiculous AACOMAS and AMCAS fees, med school deposits, the list goes on) and that's just a byproduct of capitalism and a different topic all together.

In regards to this school, however, every faculty and staff member has the students as their priority. Anyone viewing these critical posts on SDN or reddit, I recommend talking and listening to students who actually attend the school to get an accurate depiction of how it runs. Feel free to message me if you have questions but be forewarned: I only have great things to say.

I agree that prospective students should talk to current students to help get the full picture, but you can't ignore the other people living in the community and working in medicine (Hi, me!). To quote Gem, "That's like asking Coca cola if soda should be a staple in your diet, and ignoring all other evidence."

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that prospective students should talk to current students to help get the full picture, but you can't ignore the other people living in the community and working in medicine (Hi, me!). To quote Gem, "That's like asking Coca cola if soda should be a staple in your diet, and ignoring all other evidence."

Totally. I also encourage them to do that for all schools they are looking into as well

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question, to those accepted, do y’all see the physical form they want us to get filled out on myrecordtracker.

To the folks who have been accepted. Did you receive the registrar email with student email soon after your acceptance, or did it take a few days? I haven't received the student ID yet, but I think it may be too soon to pull the fire alarm.

To the folks who have been accepted. Did you receive the registrar email with student email soon after your acceptance, or did it take a few days? I haven't received the student ID yet, but I think it may be too soon to pull the fire alarm.
Mine came the following Monday after I was accepted

Last edited:
II just now!
Was interview waitlisted on the 9th.

I'm also a current student at ICOM if anyone has questions. I was accepted to 3 other more established DO schools and still chose ICOM. I feel very accepted by the community and haven't personally met anyone with a negative attitude yet. It does seem like it will take some time before we have many rotations in the main campuses of St. Lukes and St. Al's here in Boise. But anyone going to school here should rest assured that they will have every opportunity to become talented physicians and that there are plenty of clinical sites to go around. True they aren't the most impressive clinical sites but that is the case with many DO schools. I'm sure the sites will change over the years to be better and better. Don't get scared by some of the negative rhetoric out there. Go to the school that is best for you and if that happens to be ICOM then you will have to work hard but in the end you will be a physician just like if you went to any other school.

Also, I tried to comment on --Gem's Reddit post but apparently you can't comment on it unless you have karma or something. Anyways if someone has questions about specifics in that post I'll be happy to do my best to answer them but it will have to be on here because Reddit won't let me comment.

Congrats to all of the recent acceptances! Can't wait to see you guys around campus next year.

Just got a reply from admissions stating that they will be sending out additional secondary applications by the end of this week. They also stated that it's "very likely" that I'll be receiving a secondary. Good luck, all! :)

Just got a reply from admissions stating that they will be sending out additional secondary applications by the end of this week. They also stated that it's "very likely" that I'll be receiving a secondary. Good luck, all! :)
You have not yet received their Google Forms secondary yet?

Nope. I was verified/complete on 11/4. When were you verified and when did you receive a secondary?
August 13 primary sent
exactly two weeks after secondary received.
Sept 9 secondary submitted
Middle of Nov and still have not heard back

Anyone else receive an email about a follow-up to an interview invitation? I received one this morning asking me to confirm my interest but I never received the original invitation.

Anyone else receive an email about a follow-up to an interview invitation? I received one this morning asking me to confirm my interest but I never received the original invitation.
I got the same email this morning and told them I hadn't received anything from them since 9/3.

I got the same email this morning and told them I hadn't received anything from them since 9/3.

Okay cool, so at least it's not just my email being wonky. The last email I had received from them was on the seventh of this month.

Okay cool, so at least it's not just my email being wonky. The last email I had received from them was on the seventh of this month.
It's just a weird way to go about it. It's like it wants us to say how interested we are and doesn't quite seem like a formal II. Maybe I'm over-analyzing it. I just haven't had any II's come across this way.

Yeah I got the same thing. Making me wonder if I actually am invited to interview or if they sent it to me by mistake...

I got an email from ICOM this morning saying,

“Thank you for your continued interest in the Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM). Per our last correspondence, the Admissions Committee has expressed its interest in inviting you for an on-campus interview! Currently, they are wondering whether or not you are still interested in attending an interview here at ICOM.
If so, please respond to this email as soon as possible indicating your level of interest.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!”

This means I got an interview right? Lol

I got an email from ICOM this morning saying,

“Thank you for your continued interest in the Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM). Per our last correspondence, the Admissions Committee has expressed its interest in inviting you for an on-campus interview! Currently, they are wondering whether or not you are still interested in attending an interview here at ICOM.
If so, please respond to this email as soon as possible indicating your level of interest.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!”

This means I got an interview right? Lol
Exactly what I am wondering dude. I already sent them an email saying that I could not find the other email and if they could send me the potential dates. Hopefully, I did not assume too much... Im going to seem like an a**

Exactly what I am wondering dude. I already sent them an email saying that I could not find the other email and if they could send me the potential dates. Hopefully, I did not assume too much... Im going to seem like an a**
I just went ahead and said I would love to attend an interview with the school. Didn’t say much after cause I was assuming that they would reply and give me the dates right after lol. Haven’t received a reply since. Now I’m scared....

I just went ahead and said I would love to attend an interview with the school. Didn’t say much after cause I was assuming that they would reply and give me the dates right after lol. Haven’t received a reply since. Now I’m scared....
I guess you and I are in the same boat then. Let me know if you get anything and likewise from my side. I'm hoping that we all did get invited to an interview, but they just sent out the wrong template email...

I guess you and I are in the same boat then. Let me know if you get anything and likewise from my side. I'm hoping that we all did get invited to an interview, but they just sent out the wrong template email...
Definitely. They can’t be messing with our feelings like that man.. lol

Reactions: 2 users
Same boat as both of you. I emailed back an hour and a half ago. When they email me back, I'll provide an update!

I got one of those today too and never received anything from them in the first place.

Not an ii email, but I was sent a secondary late last night and then another email was sent this morning like 8 hours later stating they "have not received my secondary application yet and we are wondering whether or not you have plans to complete it."

Maybe they're experiencing some technical difficulties...

Sorry amigos; doesn't appear those were formal offers for interviews. Here's the update from admissions: "... our email from this morning was just us reaching out to see if you are still interested in possibly interviewing with ICOM since we had not sent an invitation out yet."

• Sad
  • Haha
  • Love
Sorry amigos; doesn't appear those were formal offers for interviews. Here's the update from admissions: "... our email from this morning was just us reaching out to see if you are still interested in possibly interviewing with ICOM since we had not sent an invitation out yet."
...... I’m crushed..

Thats a poorly written email that they sent us all this morning.

I will be turning down the kinda-sorta-not-really-an-interview-invite....invite. Hope it goes to someone here. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Did they update you via email?

I got an email similar to that but when I responded saying I accept the interview invite, I later received an actual interview invite and a set of dates to choose from or options for January. I hope that isn't automated lol

I got an email similar to that but when I responded saying I accept the interview invite, I later received an actual interview invite and a set of dates to choose from or options for January. I hope that isn't automated lol
Hmm...I responded indicating high interest but haven't heard anything back ...

how long did it take for them to reply?

When did you get the POTENTIAL interview invite email? And when you get the email with the dates?

Did you actually turn it down or did you just not reply? Thank you for your response.
I did actually reply, since I have since turned in a deposit and paperwork to another school. Idaho would have been a blast. I initially thought it was an interview invite as well, though oddly worded. Turns out it wasn't one explicitly, but if you are interested then be sure to let them know!