Engrailed

Are your hands dry as well?
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
They have started calling each applicant that may have been sent an email individually. They're apparently still trying to get the full list of names that AMP sent emails to. :(

Will that also be an opportunity for people to ask about their status?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

rwsrws

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Oh no. God, no. I told everyone! I sent the screenshot of my acceptance. We already planned a party tonight. Sweet Jesus, why? My acceptance was rescinded. I withdrew other offers that were “below” Mayo in my priority list. Why didn’t I look on here first? What the hell is this? If I don’t get accepted, I won’t be going to medical school anymore.

I just want to say that I am so sorry. I cannot even imagine what you are feeling right now. I’m so sorry

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 4 users
D

deleted965528

Just got confirmation from someone on the admissions committee that this morning the application software, AMP, sent out acceptance emails to everyone who interviewed on the Minnesota campus or for the MN/FL 2+2 campus. This happened without admissions or Mayo's knowledge. The admissions committee only found out because of SDN (i.e. the delayed response from admissions).

Final decisions have NOT been finalized meaning the email is NOT tied to being accepted, rejected or waitlisted already. Individuals will be reaching out to apologize once everything is sorted out. I can only imagine how ****ty it is to be put through this situation. I can only hope that you all will still consider Mayo despite this error. This place is really special and I know everyone feels horrible about what happened!
At this point, I would honestly like to know how AMP screwed up and not anyone there.

Every other school uses AMP, this ain't happening at those schools. Even if the software is AMP, someone must have literally pressed the button. I have no reason to believe this software somehow did this on its own. That reasoning would not get a pass on an exam, secondary, or interview. Why should it pass facing us?

About the Ads

unluckyadhessiveness

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
They have started calling each applicant that may have been sent an email individually. They're apparently still trying to get the full list of names that AMP sent emails to. :(

Wait, why are they calling us? If I get a call from a Minnesota number, I'm assuming its for an acceptance, like explicitly stated. Are you saying they could call us and NOT tell us we're accepted?

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
D

deleted1016739

I just want to cry oh wait I’m doing that right now. This was embarrassing but it’s totally okay! I appreciate this community because this hard hard.

Reactions: 3 users

Engrailed

Are your hands dry as well?
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wait, why are they calling us? If I get a call from a Minnesota number, I'm assuming its for an acceptance, like explicitly stated. Are you saying they could call us and NOT tell us we're accepted?

Talk about adding insult to injury. How do they expect the applicants to respond?
What. A. Day.

skysong007

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
At this point, I would honestly like to know how AMP screwed up and not anyone there.

Every other school uses AMP, this ain't happening at those schools. Even if the software is AMP, someone must have literally pressed the button. I have no reason to believe this software somehow did this on its own.

I'm sorry this happened. They're still trying to figure out what happened.

Jun 11, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

The call seems a bit like insult to injury - but given the circumstances I think it is warranted in this case.

edit: i.e. to make sure applicants are aware (like say if they haven't checked their email since the initial A email

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users

unluckyadhessiveness

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
The call seems a bit like insult to injury - but given the circumstances I think it is warranted in this case.
I appreciate the personal touch, but the email says they are still in the process of making acceptances, which I'm assuming is through phone calls. If this random student didn't tell us to expect a call and I see a call from MN, I'm assuming its an acceptance. I just wish they said in the email "we will be calling each affected person" or something like that

EDIT: Btw, thank you Mayo student for giving us some clarification, I just wish the admissions office gave us more info/wasn't so robotic

Reactions: 11 users
Nov 27, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Every other school uses AMP, this ain't happening at those schools. Even if the software is AMP, someone must have literally pressed the button. I have no reason to believe this software somehow did this on its own. That reasoning would not get a pass on an exam, secondary, or interview. Why should it pass facing us?
It's the Russians

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

u_raptor

Victim of the Mayo bamboozle
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
At this point a phone call will only hurt those who are affected by this. It is just salt in the wound and gets our hopes up....again...only to be let down....again.

I understand trying to make amends with it, but a phone call only worsens our feelings after being let down through false hope

• Sad
About the Ads
Dec 25, 2018
Oh no. God, no. I told everyone! I sent the screenshot of my acceptance. We already planned a party tonight. Sweet Jesus, why? My acceptance was rescinded. I withdrew other offers that were “below” Mayo in my priority list. Why didn’t I look on here first? What the hell is this? If I don’t get accepted, I won’t be going to medical school anymore.
Can you call those other schools back?

Reactions: 1 user

SalmonFisher

2+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2015
Greater DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I do find this development very interesting. I had a friend who applied MN/FL 2+2 and received an acceptance email in July, before he ever received the secondary invite. I even brought up that instance at interviews at both campuses.

• Haha
  • Wow

zinrath

2+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
While you may all be anxious to pick up your torches, and, believe me, I understand the feeling, legal action seems like it would do very little for me. I want to go to medical school, get a solid residency, and get a job as a physician. It would forever be a black mark to be the student who openly sued a medical school. What could I possibly have to gain? The other schools may still be willing to accept me back, though it feels a bit shameful to admit to them that I was so quick to toss them aside.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Feb 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
... why don't they just release the actual admissions decisions? I'm legit boggled by this. How can they not understand that people need to know - some people quite urgently - of their actual finalized Mayo status? Otherwise people are going to have to call and grovel with other programs that they cancelled/withdrew from because of this incident. 300 people interviewed. Even in our limited ~40 person SDN subset there are several people who made decisions based on the false acceptances, which means there are many more who aren't represented here.

Literally everyone loses with Mayo addressing things the way they are. Applicants are screwed because they're left in limbo. Mayo, though, is screwing itself too. Mayo makes a huge deal about how they want as many people from the first round of offers to accept. The longer they wait to release things now, the more resentment that is going to build and their yield is going to go down with people who have other options. I recognize this incident is not representative of the whole school, but the adcom office is the school's representative at this point and they're not showing themselves as either compassionate or competent.

Reactions: 14 users

u_raptor

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
... why don't they just release the actual admissions decisions? I'm legit boggled by this. How can they not understand that people need to know - some people quite urgently - of their actual finalized Mayo status? Otherwise people are going to have to call and grovel with other programs that they cancelled/withdrew from because of this incident. 300 people interviewed. Even in our limited ~40 person SDN subset there are several people who made decisions based on the false acceptances, which means there are many more who aren't represented here.

Literally everyone loses with Mayo addressing things the way they are. Applicants are screwed because they're left in limbo. Mayo, though, is screwing itself too. Mayo makes a huge deal about how they want as many people from the first round of offers to accept. The longer they wait to release things now, the more resentment that is going to build and their yield is going to go down with people who have other options. I recognize this incident is not representative of the whole school, but the adcom office is the school's representative at this point and they're not showing themselves as either compassionate or competent.
Exactly. The best way apologize rn is to just release decisions - not a apology phone call. There's been too much stress and issues that arose from this. Tbh they shouldn't even do call acceptances at this point, just a straight release and calls can come later.

Just very disappointed rn

IamthePuff

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I wonder if they are rushing the rest of the acceptance calls so they can send the WL/Rejections out tonight?

Jun 25, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
While you may all be anxious to pick up your torches, and, believe me, I understand the feeling, legal action seems like it would do very little for me. I want to go to medical school, get a solid residency, and get a job as a physician. It would forever be a black mark to be the student who openly sued a medical school. What could I possibly have to gain? The other schools may still be willing to accept me back, though it feels a bit shameful to admit to them that I was so quick to toss them aside.

Mayo, is that you?

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
Feb 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I feel you. I'd probably feel the same in your situation and avoid legal action. We have an unfairly small amount of power in this process, so even when someone like Mayo messes up majorly, you have little means for direct discourse. I'd second some of the previous suggestions to do a news tip to major news outlets (even anonymously). People need to understand that these types of incidents are not victimless. People like us, who have worked really hard to get here, can have their entire cycle compromised through events like this. That shouldn't just be accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
D

deleted965528

I wonder why is it that they are so obsessed with their yield, more so than any other school. It is as if the Mayo family will rain hellfire if their yield drops.

Reactions: 5 users

marcosma

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Omg I blocked SDN on my phone this morning and I come back to THIS??? jesus CHRIST

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Feb 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am a little bit out of loop here since I didn't apply to this school. Can someone explain what happened?

~12pm ET: Mayo sends acceptance emails admitting many (maybe all?) interviewees.
~3pm ET: Mayo waits 3+ hours to send a correction that the acceptances were a mistake, in which time most people told friends/family and some people withdrew other IIs or acceptances. The correction from Mayo also lacked any sort of substantive apology, and did not provide a corrected admissions status.
~6pm ET: Mayo is reportedly calling all people who received the false acceptances to apologize, although still not providing the actual admission decision.

Reactions: 7 users
About the Ads
Feb 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
just coming in here!! normally don't do this but really shocked. Did everyone who was accidentally sent the email get an e-mail rescinding the acceptance? As in, if I didn't get an e-mail rescinding the acceptance am I ok? Received the A ~12pm EST.

D

deleted1016739

just coming in here!! normally don't do this but really shocked. Did everyone who was accidentally sent the email get an e-mail rescinding the acceptance? As in, if I didn't get an e-mail rescinding the acceptance am I ok? Received the A ~12pm EST.
1) check your portal
2) no call means it wasn’t official

Jan 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
~12pm ET: Mayo sends acceptance emails admitting many (maybe all?) interviewees.
~3pm ET: Mayo waits 3+ hours to send a correction that the acceptances were a mistake, in which time most people told friends/family and some people withdrew other IIs or acceptances. The correction from Mayo also lacked any sort of substantive apology, and did not provide a corrected admissions status.
~6pm ET: Mayo is reportedly calling all people who received the false acceptances to apologize, although still not providing the actual admission decision.
Thank you for the response. I feel bad for those who were affected by this. I can't imagine being in their shoes right now. Schools should not be able to get away with this with a simple apology

Feb 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Not necessarily. It seems like some people who already accepted the offer also didn't get the rescinding email. If you didn't get a phone call, I'd probably assume any acceptances sent in that email blast are no good, and wait for further communication (or call them if you want information sooner.)

May 12, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Been following this all day and just wanna say how incredibly readily u all supported each other. Already makes me proud of our generation doctors.

I’m pretty new to SDN and heard horrible things before, so this is not at all what I expected

• Hmm
Reactions: 17 users
D

deleted804295

I can't believe Mayo did this.

It is so unprofessional and they couldn't even issue out an apology.

StewartOConnor

Just want choccy milk and chicken tendies
Sep 28, 2019
Status (Visible)
I did not apply here, but I wanted to send good vibes and luck to all of you going through this right now. I can speak for all of us when we say we hope it turns out for the best for each of you

Reactions: 13 users
Jun 4, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Probably the most active SDN day in history for any school thread.
We filled up 10 pages of discussion in last 8 hours and we are all back to square one.

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users

u_raptor

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
unknown.png

I give you many false hopes, Ed boy

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Jan 17, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Mayo is an amazing program; however, it is difficult to lend too much pity to those who were erroneously accepted here but were genuinely accepted to other, amazingly out-of-reach for most, T-10 programs. When your backup schools are Northwestern and Stanford, you'll find a way to push through this mishap.

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

u_raptor

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
Just got the apology call. Was told I'm on the WL

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 22 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads