2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview Invite to the Central Wisconsin campus at 6am today. Submitted August 17, sent an application update December 2. Will be flying to the Central Wisconsin airport in Mosinee. Does anyone familiar with the area know of options to get from the airport to hotels in Wausau/the medical campus? I don't know if it's best to get a taxi/Uber/shuttle, or what's available here. I will be researching my options, but any local expertise is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
II today to MCW- Green Bay. Since I've already got A to the main campus I'm declining. Hope it goes to someone.

Reactions: 7 users
Interview Invite to the Central Wisconsin campus at 6am today. Submitted August 17, sent an application update December 2. Will be flying to the Central Wisconsin airport in Mosinee. Does anyone familiar with the area know of options to get from the airport to hotels in Wausau/the medical campus? I don't know if it's best to get a taxi/Uber/shuttle, or what's available here. I will be researching my options, but any local expertise is greatly appreciated!
When is your interview date and is it morning or afternoon? And when are you flying in? I live about 35 minutes away from the Wausau campus/ Aspirus Hospital, but I haven't used the airport there in quite a few years (although I will be again in a couple days). MCW is about 15 miles from the airport and I'm sure an Uber/Lyft/taxi will be just fine. The Wausau is big enough that I'm sure they have enough Lyft/Ubers around, which may or may be cheaper than a taxi. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they have any shuttles.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When is your interview date and is it morning or afternoon? And when are you flying in? I live about 35 minutes away from the Wausau campus/ Aspirus Hospital, but I haven't used the airport there in quite a few years (although I will be again in a couple days). MCW is about 15 miles from the airport and I'm sure an Uber/Lyft/taxi will be just fine. The Wausau is big enough that I'm sure they have enough Lyft/Ubers around, which may or may be cheaper than a taxi. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they have any shuttles.

I'll be interviewing on January 16th in the morning. I'll factor Uber into the budget...and pack my gloves, assuming I still own some. Thanks!

II for MCW-GB campus today, but there are not any more interview dates! Is there a wait-list or will they put out more dates?

Reactions: 3 users
For the background check when referring to the residential addresses does anyone know what to do if you literally do not remember where you have lived for each of the last 25 years?

Also does anyone remember what you have to do for the financial aid?

Have any in-staters here filled out the HEAB residency form? It says at the top to attach the most recent state and federal income tax returns, including W2s. Can I just send in the tax return transcripts from the IRS website or do I need to make copies of the physical tax forms that I received from my tax preparer? I literally have no clue what I'm doing with tax stuff lol

Have any in-staters here filled out the HEAB residency form? It says at the top to attach the most recent state and federal income tax returns, including W2s. Can I just send in the tax return transcripts from the IRS website or do I need to make copies of the physical tax forms that I received from my tax preparer? I literally have no clue what I'm doing with tax stuff lol
I made a copy of my most recent W2 and included that. If you have a tax return I would do the same thing (I have claimed exempt for students the past few years so did not have a tax return form). But I would just make copies of those two things and send them with. Hope that helps.

for people who emailed their credit report to the financial aid office did you ever get any response back to confirm they received it? sent mine a few weeks back and never got a response.

for people who emailed their credit report to the financial aid office did you ever get any response back to confirm they received it? sent mine a few weeks back and never got a response.
On the MCW Connect page a check mark will appear next to 'credit report' on the to-do list. It took a while for it to show up for me.

Complete 7/24, "potential interview group" email 11/25. Nothing since. LM~65

My application has been complete since 8/31, have received no further communication, anyone else in the same boat? Wondering if they have sent pre-II R to anyone yet?

My application has been complete since 8/31, have received no further communication, anyone else in the same boat? Wondering if they have sent pre-II R to anyone yet?

I’m in the same place :). Same complete date too. Submitted an update last weekend - hoping that’ll help.

Members don't see this ad :)
complete 8/13, small pool 12/30, II 1/07, OOS.... I won't be attending, but good luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Small pooled 01/06, complete late August. OOS with strong ties. Pls love me MCW and send me that II:love:

Reactions: 3 users
Is no news good news from here? I haven’t heard from MCW since I submitted my app back in August !

Reactions: 4 users
Small pooled 1/13
At this point are there still good chances to interview ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small pooled 1/13
At this point are there still good chances to interview ??

If you go back in this thread, someone posted a pic of the remaining interview dates. I’d say a much slimmer chance based on that but stay hopeful!

II today! Small pool 1/10 OOS

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II today! OOS. Available dates are 3 in Jan, 3 more in Feb, and 1 date in March.

For those who got accepted how did you hear back? Were you checking your email or portal or both? Also did they give you a decision before the date they mentioned during the interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

For those who got accepted how did you hear back? Were you checking your email or portal or both? Also did they give you a decision before the date they mentioned during the interview?

Late afternoon of the day they said they would let you know about decisions via email for me. ~7pm.

Officially got the acceptance email for the MS in Clinical & Translational Science portion of the MD/MS dual degree program this morning from Dr. Brousseau! Super excited. If anyone else is also considering that program specifically & is thinking about going back for 2nd look day/just wants to chat about the program plz feel free to hmu in the DMs!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all!

I've been "Your application is complete." as of 10.10.19 with no news yet. I had my first interview of the cycle last week with another 3 coming up.

However, I am strongly interested in this school and would like to know if no news is good news and just continue waiting it out OR should I email them updating them of my interviews and expressing that I still have a strong interest at MCW.

I appreciate any feedback; thanks in advance!

I was invited to interview at the Greenbay campus. I'm OOS with no ties to the area. However, I do have an interest in rural medicine. Am I at a disadvantage since this regional program seems to be aimed more at Wisconsin residents? Thank you for any thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning (at like 4 am). I will be withdrawing, but the only interviews left that I could schedule are on January 29th at the central Wisconsin campus. I hope one of you guys get this spot!

P.S. I was in the small pool for a long time before this.

Reactions: 12 users
Is there an accepted students FB page?

I was invited to interview at the Greenbay campus. I'm OOS with no ties to the area. However, I do have an interest in rural medicine. Am I at a disadvantage since this regional program seems to be aimed more at Wisconsin residents? Thank you for any thoughts.
My personal thought is that if you get an interview, it means they are interested in you. They wouldn't waste their time interviewing someone who had no potential to be accepted. They must want to learn more about you. That being said, I would have answers about your interest in the program, rural medicine, and your specific interest in studying/working in WI since that is a focus of the program. Of course you should be yourself and be honest. That's my two cents anyway :)

I go to college in GB and know some of the professors who teach at MCW GB. From what I understand, it seems like that emphasis on Wisconsin residents is more put on the central campus. This is what I understand by word of mouth though so I may be wrong. Good luck!

Canadians who have applied to MCW, and received II/acceptance, do you mind sharing your stats?

I’m curious if anyone has any insight on what’s the process after one interviews? Who ultimately makes the decision to accept you? Is the interview the last requirement that is needed to make their decision? Lastly, if given an interview does that mean they moved past any subpar stats (i.e MCAT Score). Asking for a friend

I’m curious if anyone has any insight on what’s the process after one interviews? Who ultimately makes the decision to accept you? Is the interview the last requirement that is needed to make their decision? Lastly, if given an interview does that mean they moved past any subpar stats (i.e MCAT Score). Asking for a friend.

First, chill. Second, ultimately the decision comes from the dean of admissions, but they take the input from your interviewers (and everyone you interacted with on interview day), MCAT, GPA, and ECs. Yes, the interview is the last thing they need before they make a decision. Getting to the point of an interview doesn't necessarily mean you've moved passed subpar stats, but it does mean that you have a better chance of getting accepted. Post-interview there isn't anything you can do to sway your application so the best thing to focus on is next steps and hope for good news.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m curious if anyone has any insight on what’s the process after one interviews? Who ultimately makes the decision to accept you? Is the interview the last requirement that is needed to make their decision? Lastly, if given an interview does that mean they moved past any subpar stats (i.e MCAT Score). Asking for a friend

After you interview the admissions committee meets and votes on whether to accept, reject, or waitlist you based on everything in your file. This includes interview performance as well as stats. However, I will say that for MCW in particular, if you get an interview you have a fairly good chance at acceptance. There’s data published by USNews that says interviewed applicants have a 70%+ chance of acceptance (through waitlist+initial acceptance offerings). Keep in mind though that this could change in any given year. If they decide to offer a lot more interviews that percentage will go down. But overall MCW historically has a high post-II acceptance rate so if you do get an interview you are in a good place. Just kill the interview and convince them that you are a good fit for the school.

Anybody applying for MSTP hear anything lately? Complete 8/14, followed by 5 months of dead silence (no small pool). Spring's getting pretty busy MCW, would love to hear from you!!

Two questions about interviewing here. If you are not staying with a student host should you attend the social the night before? And can you attend the MD/MS session even if you did not apply but are still interested?

Two questions about interviewing here. If you are not staying with a student host should you attend the social the night before? And can you attend the MD/MS session even if you did not apply but are still interested?

On your first question, yes. The social is where you meet up with your host. It’s also an informal way to learn more about the school.

1) Yes you can attend the social the night before regardless of whether you are staying with a student host or not. They provide pizza & snacks and have quite a few current students attend to discuss their experiences at MCW. It's a good time! 2) And yes you can attend an MD/MS info session earlier in the morning before the general MD interview day schedule starts. On your applicant portal once you are offered an interview there is an option to click "interested in the student host + interested in attending the MD/MS info sessions".

1) Yes you can attend the social the night before regardless of whether you are staying with a student host or not. They provide pizza & snacks and have quite a few current students attend to discuss their experiences at MCW. It's a good time! 2) And yes you can attend an MD/MS info session earlier in the morning before the general MD interview day schedule starts. On your applicant portal once you are offered an interview there is an option to click "interested in the student host + interested in attending the MD/MS info sessions".
Great! Thank you for the clarification!

WL at central Wisconsin campus today. Interviewed 1/16, IS from about a half hour away from the campus. Little bit of a bummer, because staying near home would've been nice with my wife and kid (soon to be kids).

Anybody know how much the waitlist for satellite campuses moves and when?