2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got small pooled in October (submitted July). Got email about "still looking" yesterday and interview invite today! Only day shown is feb 7 yikes.

I still have to think about if I am going to go. I am leaning towards not going because my A is at my home state and cheaper. I have to realistically think about what this school will provide me over my A, and if that is worth it. I'll likely turn it down tonight, so good luck everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
+1 - complete 8/16, small pooled 11/1, update letter 11/24, hang tight e-mail 2/3, ii today 2/4, only available date 2/7 - accepted offer to interview! Looking to stay in MidWest, very excited to interview!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview is an open file interview but we hardly talked about my experiences. It was incredibly conversational, like my student interviewer said “we already know your qualified with your experience, so tell me what you enjoy outside of medicine.” I suppose you could have papers in front of you but there is really no need to have them. You’ll leave everything in the room before your interview.

The “student group interview” I believe you are referring to the group activity. They basically have you work through a scenario. The observer doesn’t say anything. It’s in trial so it doesn’t count towards your admission. Super easy don’t stress about it.

Lastly, they make you feel very welcome and comfortable so don’t worry about it and have fun! They do a great job at selling the school to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance nd thanks for sharing your experience! i've an upcoming interview in late Feb. Can you talk little about where you travelled from, how many days you spent there, and how late did your interview last until? i'm trying to get an airline ticket from CA and the latest flight from MKE is like 6.45pm. and i know the tentative schedule is like until 5pm. i don't know if i can make that flight. also, did you use the student host accommodation or the social event prior to the interview?

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance nd thanks for sharing your experience! i've an upcoming interview in late Feb. Can you talk little about where you travelled from, how many days you spent there, and how late did your interview last until? i'm trying to get an airline ticket from CA and the latest flight from MKE is like 6.45pm. and i know the tentative schedule is like until 5pm. i don't know if i can make that flight. also, did you use the student host accommodation or the social event prior to the interview?

Of course, I flew from the Midwest to Milwaukee for about $220 on southwest. The airport is incredibly easy to navigate.

I did attend the social but not the student host program. I recommend the social because you can talk to students in a very informal setting and get a real sense of how they like the school. One of them had a test the next day and seemed confident about it which was a good sign to me.

We finished up around 4:30 which would leave plenty of time to get to the airport. It’s rather small. I’d recommend staying though and hanging out with some of the people you met and get a feel for the area. That’s what I did and I don’t regret it at all!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone ever received an II for one location, but asked them to reconsider for an interview at a different campus? Is that even a thing you could do with MCW or don’t bother?

Has anyone ever received an II for one location, but asked them to reconsider for an interview at a different campus? Is that even a thing you could do with MCW or don’t bother?
Idk of anyone that has done that. I know of people that have interviewed at multiple campuses (myself included), but I think even their website is pretty clear that the campuses have different missions and so you can't really argue for an interview at MKE if offered one at GB/Wausau and vice versa. And if you're referring to GB versus Wausau, it wouldn't matter where you interview there because most people are waitlisted and they consider everyone for both campuses off the same waitlist.

how much time off does MCW give students to study for STEP?
This really depends when you schedule your test. There are 7 weeks between the end of classes and the start of orientation for clinical rotations. Lots of people start their "dedicated" during the last course of Symptoms as well. And if you need even more time to study, then Academic Enhancement can work with getting you a rotation schedule (you'd have to apply for specific schedules during rotation selection in March to even have this option) where your first rotation or two is "vacation" (so you would have an extra 1-2 months), but that would be something only to consider if you're extremely struggling.

This really depends when you schedule your test. There are 7 weeks between the end of classes and the start of orientation for clinical rotations. Lots of people start their "dedicated" during the last course of Symptoms as well. And if you need even more time to study, then Academic Enhancement can work with getting you a rotation schedule (you'd have to apply for specific schedules during rotation selection in March to even have this option) where your first rotation or two is "vacation" (so you would have an extra 1-2 months), but that would be something only to consider if you're extremely struggling.
Ahh ok sounds good, thank you so much!

When did everyone that was accepted receive the background check email? I know it hasn't been that long but I thought it came right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did everyone that was accepted receive the background check email? I know it hasn't been that long but I thought it came right away.
The Certiphi check came early January after receiving my A in October. Took a couple days/ week to process though because I moved around a lot. There should be another one coming around April as well if I remember. I wouldn't start worrying/ thinking too much about it until April. Then if you haven't heard anything I'd reach out and ask.

I was small pooled and sent out a letter of interest. Got an II before they even responded back to my letter. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Did you upload the letter to the portal or did you email it to the office?

Does anyone know if MCW is receptive to in the area emails? I couldn’t find anything on the website. I’ll be up there for another interview.

Does anyone know how many students each campus takes?

For those that were accepted, how long did it take for the official letter to come in the mail? Also did any of you already get your financial aid award letter/scholarships with the official letter?

Last edited:
For those that were accepted, how long did it take for the official letter take to come in the mail? Also did any of you already get your financial aid award letter/scholarships with the official letter?

I think my letter was dated a week or two after I got the email. I was accepted late October and still don’t have financial aid info - I submitted the application about a month ago but the sheet I got at the interview says it takes 8-12 weeks to process.

Reactions: 1 users
I think my letter was dated a week or two after I got the email. I was accepted late October and still don’t have financial aid info - I submitted the application about a month ago but the sheet I got at the interview says it takes 8-12 weeks to process.

Wait which application did you submit a month ago?

Just a heads up for those waiting/inquiring. We didn’t get financial aid packages until end of May/beginning of June last year.

I still haven't heard back since submitting my secondary, anyone on the same page? I did receive an e-mail in early Feb saying that my application is still under review which gives me some hope!

Reactions: 4 users
I still haven't heard back since submitting my secondary, anyone on the same page? I did receive an e-mail in early Feb saying that my application is still under review which gives me some hope!
+1

Got an II a little under a week ago! Small pooled in January. I was wondering if you guys think I should send in an update before attending the interview or just inform them of the clinical job I started 3 months ago? I was just about to send an update before I got the II. The only reason I'm asking is I don't want them to forget it as it's added very valuable clinical hours to my app lol (over 400 hours). Or send an update after the II?

I hope all of you still waiting for II will be blessed by one soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II a little under a week ago! Small pooled in January. I was wondering if you guys think I should send in an update before attending the interview or just inform them of the clinical job I started 3 months ago? I was just about to send an update before I got the II. The only reason I'm asking is I don't want them to forget it as it's added very valuable clinical hours to my app lol (over 400 hours). Or send an update after the II?

I hope all of you still waiting for II will be blessed by one soon!

Hey! I had a decent update that I wanted them to have in writing as well! Basically what I did was waited tell after my interview and sent an update that also stated how appreciative I was for three interview and how much I loved MCW, then I dove into my update.

Just n=1 but it worked for me and I got accepted!

Hey! I had a decent update that I wanted them to have in writing as well! Basically what I did was waited tell after my interview and sent an update that also stated how appreciative I was for three interview and how much I loved MCW, then I dove into my update.

Cool thanks! That's what I will do then. I'll cross my fingers we get the same outcome :highfive:

So another update for 2020-2021 application cycle people who are reading this. Smallpooled on 9/9. I did not get any activity until January along with the rest of the people and it was an email telling me to keep waiting. At this point, I don't think I will be receiving an II. But as I promised, I will keep updating you until I get that R or II. Anyways if you are reading this then nice job making it to page #20. Keep scrolling and looking for my updates.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Does anyone know how long they've been taking to get back to people post-interview? Specifically for the Milwaukee Campus, if that helps.

So another update for 2020-2021 application cycle people who are reading this. Smallpooled on 9/9. I did not get any activity until January along with the rest of the people and it was an email telling me to keep waiting. At this point, I don't think I will be receiving an II. But as I promised, I will keep updating you until I get that R or II. Anyways if you are reading this then nice job making it to page #20. Keep scrolling and looking for my updates.

Just an fyi, if you applied to the central wisconsin campus, they mentioned at my interview that their last interview date is this coming monday (02/17). Good luck to everyone, Loved the central wisconsin campus!

Hi! Does anyone know how long they've been taking to get back to people post-interview? Specifically for the Milwaukee Campus, if that helps.

I heard back two weeks after my interview. They gave us the decision date during one of the presentations the day of the interview.

Hello! Does anyone know when MCW stops interviewing?

Hello! Does anyone know when MCW stops interviewing?
Depends which campus. I don't know the exact date, but I know the last day for Milwaukee is around the first week of March.

Hi! I loved this school after my interview! I want to send an update and also let them know how much I love MCW, but was wondering how long to wait after sending an interview thank you. Did you send a thank you before sending the update?

Hi! I loved this school after my interview! I want to send an update and also let them know how much I love MCW, but was wondering how long to wait after sending an interview thank you. Did you send a thank you before sending the update?

Hey, sorry for getting back to you late. I actually uploaded them all the same day. I wrote my two thank you letters while in the airport and then my update/interest on the way home and submitted it that evening. The way I see it is that the thank you's go to individuals and the update letter goes to the committee (realistically they probably see all of them). Also I highly recommend submitting them in PDF and signing them - it looks professional and shows effort! Best of luck to you!

Woke up to an interview for the Milwaukee campus

Reactions: 7 users
Feb 21, 28. Won’t be attending but good school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew, after I got an II last night to Milwaukee. I have an acceptance closer to home. Only Feb 21 and 28th left (March 6th was filled). Hope it went to someone here! Best of luck everyone.

Woke up to an interview for the Milwaukee campus
Withdrew, after I got an II last night to Milwaukee. I have an acceptance closer to home. Only Feb 21 and 28th left (March 6th was filled). Hope it went to someone here! Best of luck everyone.

Were you guys small pooled? Also, did you receive the 'admissions cycle update' email?

Were you guys small pooled? Also, did you receive the 'admissions cycle update' email?
I think I got small pooled, it was an email with a “you’re application is being further considered” or something like that? That was on 10/17. And I did get admissions cycle update. The II said there are limited spots left and that only a few acceptances would be handed out after now and that most would be waitlisted- but good luck to everyone!

Yeah exactly the same. I think that last part is what convinced me to not go.

I'm an accepted student for incoming 2020 class and just got informed I am not a Wisconsin resident when in fact I thought I was. I know that they mention that residency determination is just for tuition purposes only but is it possible to get denied admission after being accepted due to this? thnx!