2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I can confirm this. Unfortunately, our director of admissions resigned in the middle of the spring semester at the height of the admission movement. The rest of the process is being handled by the deans and other academic affairs faculty.
Who specifically resigned? Because I may have sent my update letter to this person, which might explain why I never received confirmation of its receipt.

Members don't see this ad.

Who specifically resigned? Because I may have sent my update letter to this person, which might explain why I never received confirmation of its receipt.
Resa Brinkley. Make sure you send your letter of intent to either Dr. Kristin Cohen or Dean Speights or Ms. Vicki Walker

Resa Brinkley. Make sure you send your letter of intent to either Dr. Kristin Cohen or Dean Speights or Ms. Vicki Walker
I thought letters of intent should be sent to admission committees? I sent mine to the general admissions email. Would you recommend re-sending to one of the people mentioned above ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought letters of intent should be sent to admission committees?
Technically speaking, yes. However, the admissions committee also *technically* is empty right now. The committee is being filled in by other members of other departments. It's been a hot mess. When in doubt, I really really encourage you to either call their student affairs office or send a confirmatory email to Dr. Cohen to verify that they received your letter of intent. I hate to see people who actually have a commitment to come to this school get overlooked just because of admin errors.

With that being said, though, I'm not gonna lie, admin errors here at least at the JB side has been common due to the frequent staff changes. If you can go to another school, I encourage you to. Not because I don't like this place, I am forever grateful for NYITCOM-IB for my spot here. But, in all honesty, going to a school with an intact admin and smooth transitions is a must. Med school is already hard, you don't need the additional stress.

Reactions: 1 users
I can only speak for the JB campus, but whatever the ambassadors told you, it's probably either exaggerated or... you know... a bit misleading. Let me know if y'all have any more questions. In addition, I can also confirm with SGA and academic affairs to see the situation on the letter of intent situation if that is something that you guys will be interested in.

I can only speak for the JB campus, but whatever the ambassadors told you, it's probably either exaggerated or... you know... a bit misleading. Let me know if y'all have any more questions. In addition, I can also confirm with SGA and academic affairs to see the situation on the letter of intent situation if that is something that you guys will be interested in.
I would be interested to know if they encourage we forward our letter of intent to someone else then if you think the committee is “empty”. I did get confirmation email that my letter would be placed in my file though.

I would be interested to know if they encourage we forward our letter of intent to someone else then if you think the committee is “empty”. I did get confirmation email that my letter would be placed in my file though.
If you got a confirmation email, then that is all you needed to do. But if there are applicants who did not get the confirmation, then it's best to call the student affairs office or even the financial aid office (at JB) to see the process of your letter. The most important thing is for your letter to get into your file. There it will be reviewed by the deans for admission decisions. The problem is if the letter never makes it into the file, it's most likely because staff responsibilities are too scattered and they unknowingly skipped over the letter. That is why calling and actually talking to someone there will help. But do give them some patience... everyone in there looks extremely overwhelmed. I understand it's frustrating but they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

If you got a confirmation email, then that is all you needed to do. But if there are applicants who did not get the confirmation, then it's best to call the student affairs office or even the financial aid office (at JB) to see the process of your letter. The most important thing is for your letter to get into your file. There it will be reviewed by the deans for admission decisions. The problem is if the letter never makes it into the file, it's most likely because staff responsibilities are too scattered and they unknowingly skipped over the letter. That is why calling and actually talking to someone there will help. But do give them some patience... everyone in there looks extremely overwhelmed. I understand it's frustrating but they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
Thank you for the information! So staff and students are back on campus or in the office?

Thank you for the information! So staff and students are back on campus or in the office?
Staff and faculty are still on campus! Everything is streamed online now, including labs and OMM. The building in JB is still open for use, and some students still use it as a study space. Arkansas is not as hard hit as New York.

Alright everyone, I actually got confirmation from SGA and Academic Affairs just now (man, that was fast). Please check for confirmation with Dr. Brent Owen at JB (either by phone or email, email preferred) for everything related with update letters and letters of intent if you did not receive a confirmation email.

Edit: this is specific for the JB campus only

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Alright everyone, I actually got confirmation from SGA and Academic Affairs just now (man, that was fast). Please check for confirmation with Dr. Brent Owen at JB (either by phone or email, email preferred) for everything related with update letters and letters of intent if you did not receive a confirmation email.

Edit: this is specific for the JB campus only

Thank you for the help !

Members don't see this ad :)
They said today that the white coat ceremony will be in January 2021.
All lectures for fall will be online.
Labs will be in person - in smaller groups, groups of 10 and same group of students for all labs.
Temperature will be checked for everyone entering the campus and masks will be provided to all allowed on campus.
The attendance policy is changing as well, it will be more relaxed.

Reactions: 5 users
Labs will be in person - in smaller groups, groups of 10 and same group of students for all labs.
Temperature will be checked for everyone entering the campus and masks will be provided to all allowed on campus.

Wow this is crazy! So we’re only going to meet 9 other students our first semester. I hope we like them lol

Sorry to keep spamming. Just wanted to let y'all know that JB will be following suit. I just got confirmation from Academic Affairs on this end as well.

Is this OW? Did you get an email or is this online?

Hey! Does anyone know around when there should be more waitlist movement for JB campus?

Reactions: 3 users
Last night I had a nightmare that I was rejected from the WL. ( that's not even possible I'm just dumb)
I'm officially crazy.

Reactions: 3 users
sdn_meme.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Last night I had a nightmare that I was rejected from the WL. ( that's not even possible I'm just dumb)
I'm officially crazy.
i’m rooting for u fr and i haven’t even gotten off the waitlist yet lol

I'm officially crazy.

That usually doesn't happen with this school. Last year, I was on the WL and I didn't hear back from them at all. I called in August 1st week and they told me that the class was full.

• Wow
I know I'm crazy, I'm not trying to be, it's the way my brain operates. I know it's tease-worthy, I'll admit it. I can't control what my brain does in my sleep. I already explained why i'm in a weird position for a reapp right now, I think that's why my brain is freaking out.

That usually doesn't happen with this school. Last year, I was on the WL and I didn't hear back from them at all. I called in August 1st week and they told me that the class was full.
I know I know I'm literally just insane can't control what my brain does while I'm sleeping. I Hate that. Like while I awake I can have normal thoughts but while sleeping my brain is like " *evil cackle* she can't control us now"

Has anyone gotten an email with this information or know where it's coming from?

Has anyone gotten an email with this information or know where it's coming from?
They discussed the rescheduling of the white coat ceremony on the Accepted Medical Students Day zoom conference. During the conference, they did not give specific details about lab, temperatures being checked, and everything being completely online, but I’m not sure what changes have been confirmed since then. I haven’t received any email about any official changes yet.

Anyone else still getting emails every other week telling you to submit your MPN even though you've done so multiple times?

Anyone else still getting emails every other week telling you to submit your MPN even though you've done so multiple times?
I emailed financial aid and they say this happens every year.
From email:
"Please note that MPN's and Counseling data will not be uploaded in our system until the Department of Education is ready to start processing loans for the 2020-2021 year. We apologize. Please be patient with us during this process. If we find that we need your MPN and/or Counseling Data we will contact you via our personal email or by phone. They are being inputted manually.

This happens every year. The USDOE sent out an email that they will be implementing and updating the 2020-2021 updates at the end of the month. Once that is done and we have the capability to upload those files and you should stop receiving those notifications."

Any movement from the waitlist at all this week?

Also, when are accepted medical students supposed to make their decision? I know that this causes a bunch of waitlist movement when people give up their seats

Any movement from the waitlist at all this week?

Also, when are accepted medical students supposed to make their decision? I know that this causes a bunch of waitlist movement when people give up their seats

May 15th (tomorrow) is the deadline for those with multiple acceptances to make a decision. After tomorrow, there will be much more WL traffic

Reactions: 7 users
May 15th (tomorrow) is the deadline for those with multiple acceptances to make a decision. After tomorrow, there will be much more WL traffic
That’s good. The suspense is killing me

I was accepted to an MD program so will likely be withdrawing from NYITCOM. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this? I already got my financial aid packet and so forth.

I was accepted to an MD program so will likely be withdrawing from NYITCOM. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this? I already got my financial aid packet and so forth.
Email the admissions office saying you would like to withdraw your seat for the upcoming class, thank them for their consideration, insert other niceties here etc. etc.

Congrats! which campus by chance, JB or OW?

Will be withdrawing my app from JB today. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
Any 3rd/4th year NYITCOM students: How is the school allowing you to complete rotations amidst COVID-19?

A off the WL last week. Will be Withdrawing this weekend. Good luck to u all