2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys, I'm in! I got accepted this afternoon!
But I have some questions-
I got one email notifying me that I got in ( time stamped today) , then an email saying that I failed to complete the background check and they made numerous attempts to contact me and I didn't do so so now they are withdrawing my application, a third email saying that withdrawal email was a glitch and their system made a mistake so please disregard it, and then my formal acceptance letter in email format.

These were all in my spam folder btw, so be sure to check your spam.

Also! What does technical standard for admissions mean? How would I do that?

Also, for immunizations, I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on my vaccines , but I don't have a PCP right now. What do I do? Do I just ask my last PCP to provide proof of immunization? Can I do the blood titer thing at Urgent Care?
I’m so happy for you! Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Do they send out all acceptances for the day at once? or its possible that more are coming out later today?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Wow I also have an A across the country! Obviously I'm super thankful to be accepted somewhere, but leaving the state I spent my entire life in was not the ideal :(
Exactly!! Part of me is grateful for the acceptance but the other half is like damn my own state don't want me :(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly!! Part of me is grateful for the acceptance but the other half is like damn my own state don't want me :(
Honestly, I hate to sound preachy, but it's totally possible it's meant to be that you move to another state.
Maybe it starts your career off a certain way, or you meet your soulmate and get married, or some factor that will make you look back and say " Im glad I had to move."
( I'm religious , Muslim, and I believe in fate sorry if I sound preachy.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I rescinded my acceptance to NYITCOM Jonesboro today. Best of luck to everyone on this forum! I hope one of you takes my place. <3

Since all those important emails from today went into my spam folder, and I want to prevent that from happening, I added the admissions email to my contacts XD
Modern problems require modern solutions.

Also, for immunizations, I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on my vaccines , but I don't have a PCP right now. What do I do? Do I just ask my last PCP to provide proof of immunization? Can I do the blood titer thing at Urgent Care?

I went to my last PCP, my pediatrician.

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the double post, but is anatomy still going to be in the fall semester, even with the COVID changes?
Also, is there a break between year 1 and year 2? Only asking because we were supposed to visit relatives overseas this year but couldn't due to COVID.
Is the iPad we get "ours" or is it to be returned to the school? I've always thought using an iPad for both work/play would be best.

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the double post, but is anatomy still going to be in the fall semester, even with the COVID changes?
Also, is there a break between year 1 and year 2? Only asking because we were supposed to visit relatives overseas this year but couldn't due to COVID.
Is the iPad we get "ours" or is it to be returned to the school? I've always thought using an iPad for both work/play would be best.
1. From Dean Balentine: "We intend to start all classes August 10th using a hybrid teaching model that provides for both in person, on campus small group learning, including anatomy lab, case based learning and other experiences along with remote (asynchronous) learning methods."
2. Looking at the academic calendar: first years end June 11th and second years begin August 10th so it looks like we get around 2 months.
3. From the NYITCOM student handbook Technology FAQ section: Q. Can students keep their iPads after graduation? A. Yes, upon graduation, students may keep their iPads. If a student withdraws or is dismissed for any reason, the iPad must be returned to NYITCOM.
Don't worry about having a lot of questions. We've all had a lot of questions. It's just some of us have had many moons to either look them up or ask them already.

• Love
1. From Dean Balentine: "We intend to start all classes August 10th using a hybrid teaching model that provides for both in person, on campus small group learning, including anatomy lab, case based learning and other experiences along with remote (asynchronous) learning methods."
2. Looking at the academic calendar: first years end June 11th and second years begin August 10th so it looks like we get around 2 months.
3. From the NYITCOM student handbook Technology FAQ section: Q. Can students keep their iPads after graduation? A. Yes, upon graduation, students may keep their iPads. If a student withdraws or is dismissed for any reason, the iPad must be returned to NYITCOM.
Don't worry about having a lot of questions. We've all had a lot of questions. It's just some of us have had many moons to either look them up or ask them already.
Thanks
Has anybody had experience dowloading personal stuff on the school issues iPad? Netflix/Hulu but also anything like your own pics/photos?
Has anybody on here bought their own iPad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone I'm sorry to spam this thread but did anybody who got in Friday not get that NYIT student email account set up yet? The email said " At 10 am tomorrow your NYIT com email will be set up" but I did not receive such an email.
By ' tomorrow" did they mean the next business day ie Monday?

Hi everyone I'm sorry to spam this thread but did anybody who got in Friday not get that NYIT student email account set up yet? The email said " At 10 am tomorrow your NYIT com email will be set up" but I did not receive such an email.
By ' tomorrow" did they mean the next business day ie Monday?
I had trouble with this initially too, you have to click the hyperlink in the first email and then it takes you to a checklist and you have to set it up. Hope this helps!

yea just go through the steps to set up the account yourself. I didn't get the email, but I went ahead and just paid the deposit

Hi everyone
So Im filling out the acceptance reply form, and I'm realizing that i might not meet a technical standard.

The dress code for OMM lab requires shorts and a halter top, and I normally wear fully head to toe covered clothing, including covering my hair. I never wear shorts or halter tops. If I were to attend OMM lab, I would need an excemption for the dress code. I could wear scrubs and have OMM done on top of them. Or like, long athletic pants and a long sleeve shirt.

I'm not sure if this qualifies and needing an accommodation ( since the acceptance reply form says " meet technical standard with accommodations " and " without accommodations"). Should I send an email with this question to the comadm email they give us?

Edit: Does the Cori form information only come after sending the acceptance reply form?

The dress code for OMM lab requires shorts and a halter top, and I normally wear fully head to toe covered clothing, including covering my hair. I never wear shorts or halter tops. If I were to attend OMM lab, I would need an excemption for the dress code. I could wear scrubs and have OMM done on top of them. Or like, long athletic pants and a long sleeve shirt.

The Technical Standards are akin to the Terms and Conditions. No one reads it entirely/or at all and simply clicks accept. I don't think your dress will be a problem.

The Technical Standards are akin to the Terms and Conditions. No one reads it entirely/or at all and simply clicks accept. I don't think your dress will be a problem.
That doesn’t invalidate the content of the terms and conditions/service, however. @mwsapphire you should call to get a waiver/make sure you can wear what you need to to OMM lab. I’m sure it won’t be a problem, but it’s better to ask now rather than later.

That doesn’t invalidate the content of the terms and conditions/service, however. @mwsapphire you should call to get a waiver/make sure you can wear what you need to to OMM lab. I’m sure it won’t be a problem, but it’s better to ask now rather than later.
Oh ofc I will let somebody know as soon as I can. i was just wondering if when filling out the acceptance form if I needed to check " needs accommodations" but it looks like I do not. That was all.
Thanks everyone :)

Hi everyone
So Im filling out the acceptance reply form, and I'm realizing that i might not meet a technical standard.

I'm not sure if this qualifies and needing an accommodation ( since the acceptance reply form says " meet technical standard with accommodations " and " without accommodations"). Should I send an email with this question to the comadm email they give us?

Edit: Does the Cori form information only come after sending the acceptance reply form?
The dress code is actually not that rigid. At the beginning of the year, the OMM faculty will have a meeting for those who have concerns over the dress code and address the relevant alternatives.

• Love
Last post one here for a few days, I promise.

I was trying to find housing options near NYIT , and I found this Glenn Head residence hall that seems available for graduate students? Is it available for the medical students? Or can we only have apartments and stuff?

Edit: Also is there still a student gym on campus?

Last edited:

I was trying to find housing options near NYIT , and I found this Glenn Head residence hall that seems available for graduate students? Is it available for the medical students? Or can we only have apartments and stuff?

First off: Congratulations!

During my interview/tour, they did discuss that students could use private rooms for OMM classes if needed.
Not too sure about your housing inquiry, but once they set up your email account, they send out other weekly off campus options.

Just withdrew my A, so best of luck to everyone still waiting!

• Love

Edit: Also is there still a student gym on campus?
For housing, I would join the facebook groups (there are 2). As for the gym, there definitely is one, however, I'm not sure if it's the same as the undergrad gym or if the COM has its own. I found this on the website: "students have access to campus playing fields, basketball and tennis courts, an additional campus fitness center, and a running track".

I'm usually a lurker here but I wanted to tell those who are still on the waitlist to not give up hope! I was already accepted into a master's program and was about to start studying for the MCAT again, but then I was a part of the wave that got an acceptance email this past Friday. We only have until June 11th to reply and pay our deposit so hopefully with this quick turnaround it will free up some seats later in the month for those who are still waiting!! Fighting!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm usually a lurker here but I wanted to tell those who are still on the waitlist to not give up hope! I was already accepted into a master's program and was about to start studying for the MCAT again, but then I was a part of the wave that got an acceptance email this past Friday. We only have until June 11th to reply and pay our deposit so hopefully with this quick turnaround it will free up some seats later in the month for those who are still waiting!! Fighting!!
I honestly needed someone to tell me this. I lost all hope last friday, i started thinking im never going to make it off. I didn't know you have until june 11 to make a discicion. hopefully we hear some good news this tuesday or friday for those of us that are still on the waitlist.

thank you again i really needed this motivation. it means a lot to me

Reactions: 5 users
For housing, I would join the facebook groups (there are 2). As for the gym, there definitely is one, however, I'm not sure if it's the same as the undergrad gym or if the COM has its own. I found this on the website: "students have access to campus playing fields, basketball and tennis courts, an additional campus fitness center, and a running track".
There is a one gym on campus that is shared with the undergrads

There is a one gym on campus that is shared with the undergrads
Awesome. I saw the webpage said there is a gym but those are webpages are sometimes out of date.
Also, how are we supposed to know when our tuition bill is due if we got accepted after April 15th off of the WL?

Last edited:
Awesome. I saw the webpage said there is a gym but those are webpages are sometimes out of date.
Also, how are we supposed to know when our tuition bill is due if we got accepted after April 15th off of the WL?

I assume we're gonna get some more email communication in the coming days. I would say if you don't hear anything by the end of the week, it would be time to shoot some emails. In the meantime, I'm going through their accepted student checklist and filling out whatever i can

I assume we're gonna get some more email communication in the coming days. I would say if you don't hear anything by the end of the week, it would be time to shoot some emails. In the meantime, I'm going through their accepted student checklist and filling out whatever i can
I checked the "bills" section for the finances section of my NYITCOM page and I didn't find any outstanding bills.

Hi everyone

Hey there, I am a current student and we have had a few need the same accommodations and it has been no issue. Wear a loose long-sleeve tshirt, yoga pants/tights (you can also wear shorts over them), and your hair cover. That will get you through 90% of OMM labs and the faculty will work with you for the other 10%. Most end up eventually wearing tight pants anyway, especially during the winter.

Hey there, I am a current student and we have had a few need the same accommodations and it has been no issue. Wear a loose long-sleeve tshirt, yoga pants/tights (you can also wear shorts over them), and your hair cover. That will get you through 90% of OMM labs and the faculty will work with you for the other 10%. Most end up eventually wearing tight pants anyway, especially during the winter.
Thank you!
I did end up filling in the forms saying " Without accommodations" , I realized accommodations meant more like going through the office of disabilities.

Hello everyone,
I wanna ask some f/u questions.

1) How much PBL/TBL like activities are included in the NYITCOM curriculum? I know it's half lecture half group learning, so how much case-based group learning is there?

2) What type of iPad is provided ( since I would like get a case/keyboard/stylus to go with it)? Can the school actually track what you do on it because I would also like to use it for Netflix/face-timing my friends back home.?

3) DId anybody go the first year w/o a roommate and end up paying a lot? Since I got in late, and for personal reasons only want to room with another Muslim, I may have to pay a ton for just the first year.

Thank you!

Did the school send out an official supplies list? I’ve noticed a lot of graduates posting equipment, and I’m not sure what we might need going in.

Just was curious if any more people dropped for JB this week

Did anyone hear back from JB Admissions? I hope tomorrow we hear back with good news! I know there’s a couple of us on the waitlist.

Last edited:
Anyone heard anything through the grapevine regarding fall schedule for incoming students, number of mandatory in person lab days, how orientation is going to be

Guys, I'm in! I got accepted this afternoon!
But I have some questions-
I got one email notifying me that I got in ( time stamped today) , then an email saying that I failed to complete the background check and they made numerous attempts to contact me and I didn't do so so now they are withdrawing my application, a third email saying that withdrawal email was a glitch and their system made a mistake so please disregard it, and then my formal acceptance letter in email format.

These were all in my spam folder btw, so be sure to check your spam.

Also! What does technical standard for admissions mean? How would I do that?

Been following you in this thread and been pulling for you!! Excited to have you as a classmate :)

• Love
Hi everyone,

So my undergrad college does not email transcripts directly, they only snail mail directly or use the National Clearing House.

I don't know if any of you guys tried to use National Clearing house to send your transcripts to NYITCOM, but when you select college it only lets you select " New York Institute of Technology" , and does not have an option to select the DO school. So, when I hit admissions, I'm worried it will go the UGrad school instead. Anybody know what to do? Would choosing NYIT make it to go the wrong office?

Anybody whose college doesn't email transcripts directly have this issue? Did you just snail mail? I did, but it can up to 3 weeks because of COVID.

Hi everyone,

So my undergrad college does not email transcripts directly, they only snail mail directly or use the National Clearing House.

I don't know if any of you guys tried to use National Clearing house to send your transcripts to NYITCOM, but when you select college it only lets you select " New York Institute of Technology" , and does not have an option to select the DO school. So, when I hit admissions, I'm worried it will go the UGrad school instead. Anybody know what to do? Would choosing NYIT make it to go the wrong office?

Anybody whose college doesn't email transcripts directly have this issue? Did you just snail mail? I did, but it can up to 3 weeks because of COVID.
So from what I have gathered, you only need to send your transcripts if you have new grades that are not verified on your AACOMAS application.

I would not have it sent just to NYIT, because NYITCOM won’t receive them. You should have your transcript sent to them directly by mail. As long as it is received by the start of the semester (which it will be if you send it now) you should be fine!

I thought since one person dropped for JB last friday, there would be some movement atleast

So none of the June 5th accepters got the CORI email? Im so nervous Im gonna miss it and get an actual "withdrawn acceptance" email...

Is it safe to assume that there won’t be any OW movement until the end of this month or until the beginning of the next month?

I was wondering if anyone knew if the JB facebook group showed any signs of people dropping as of late?

I thought since one person dropped for JB last friday, there would be some movement atleast
I thought so too ! But my only guess would be that there were either no admissions offers made today, or whoever did get an acceptance is not on SDN.

What is CORI?
The background check, I just got the email like ten minutes ago. It's actually a Cetriphi background check, but I've used Cori for another background check.