2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just an FYI for those of you that have not ordered scrubs...it is recommended you try on Cherokee’s 4100 style of pants, and 4777*** style for the scrub top, which are both unisex. Cherokee brand scrubs tend to run a size larger, but it is still a good idea to try them on before placing your order. The form says 4771 for the scrub top, which I believe is a typo (hence, the asterisks above). I went to the medical uniform store a second time to make sure I tried on the correct style, especially since 4771 is unheard of (at least where I live).

For reference, I am a female and I usually wear a large in leggings/pants, and small for tops - I ordered an XS for the top and M for the pants.
Good idea. For the srucbs in the hospital I used wear M for top and s for the bottom. but this cherokee I gonna check out as u said it is a bit larger

also do u think they will change size if I email them or something ? I filled out the doc a while ago

Members don't see this ad.

God thats really making me nervous.
Do you think I could enail admin and double confirm? I get really anxious about stuff like this...
Couldn't hurt, but we also didn't put our email anywhere on the form so that's why I assumed I didn't get a confirmation. I was nervous as well though.

UPDATE: I emailed NYIT and they said they received the form so you don't get a confirmation email.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Couldn't hurt, but we also didn't put our email anywhere on the form so that's why I assumed I didn't get a confirmation. I was nervous as well though.

UPDATE: I emailed NYIT and they said they received the form so you don't get a confirmation email.
Aw man, I ended up email-ing them myself. Oh well, we're two different people and it counts as two different emails. At least it provides a double iteration that I committed to starting next month in case something happens to my form, lol.

I put my email on the form, but I think it was optional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any people from the group me who are choosing to defer for next year?

Good idea. For the srucbs in the hospital I used wear M for top and s for the bottom. but this cherokee I gonna check out as u said it is a bit larger

also do u think they will change size if I email them or something ? I filled out the doc a while ago

I’m not sure if they would, but I would just email them to see!

There hasn't been any information on the courses for the first year, just stuff about how the first year schedule will be. Does anyone know about course enrollment?

There hasn't been any information on the courses for the first year, just stuff about how the first year schedule will be. Does anyone know about course enrollment?

I believe these are the courses we take.
1594507764421.png

Reactions: 2 users
For my year this is how it went:

First semester is foundations:
Lectures not in order: Biochem, microbio, physio, OMM, Biostats, some Pharm, and then we ended with the Derm
Labs: clinical skills (DPR), OMM, Cadaver anatomy

Second semester:
Lectures not in order: MSK, Neuro, Psych, Immuno, Heme, Rheum (includes their pharm and patho)
Labs: clinical skills (DPR), OMM, Neuroanatomy cadaver brain, Case-based learning

Reactions: 4 users
For my year this is how it went:

First semester is foundations:
Lectures not in order: Biochem, microbio, physio, OMM, Biostats, some Pharm, and then we ended with the Derm
Labs: clinical skills (DPR), OMM, Cadaver anatomy

Second semester:
Lectures not in order: MSK, Neuro, Psych, Immuno, Heme, Rheum (includes their pharm and patho)
Labs: clinical skills (DPR), OMM, Neuroanatomy cadaver brain, Case-based learning
What third party resources do you recommend ( outside of the lectures, etc.) I heard we get a free sub to Firecracker, is that still a thing?

What third party resources do you recommend ( outside of the lectures, etc.) I heard we get a free sub to Firecracker, is that still a thing?
First Aid, Pathoma, and Sketchy. Sketchy pharm is useful for the "basics" but the pharmd who teaches basically most of the pharm goes beyond sketchy for exams.
The pathologist who teaches most of the patho, goes by/follows FA and pathoma. I liked that these resources have all the information more organized.
USMLErx gave 40% off discount during thanksgiving, it was nice to do practice questions for second semester on systems.

Firecracker was not given to OW students. I think they might have been given to JB students for free. For other things that my year got for free included: stethoscope, Ipad, anatomy app sub (that costed money), membership for SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association), free anatomy textbook (from SOMA).

First Aid, Pathoma, and Sketchy. Sketchy pharm is useful for the "basics" but the pharmd who teaches basically most of the pharm goes beyond sketchy for exams.
The pathologist who teaches most of the patho, goes by/follows FA and pathoma. I liked that these resources have all the information more organized.
USMLErx gave 40% off discount during thanksgiving, it was nice to do practice questions for second semester on systems.

Firecracker was not given to OW students. I think they might have been given to JB students for free. For other things that my year got for free included: stethoscope, Ipad, anatomy app sub (that costed money), membership for SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association), free anatomy textbook (from SOMA).
Hm. Do you need many textbooks first year? I'm looking at the cost of this stuff, and it's basically the cost of college textbooks ( FA is around 50 dollars, but the Sketchymedical package is around $200), so is it like, you pay for these third party resources , but then don't buy a bunch of textbooks like you did in college?
Damn, I can't beleive we don't get firecracker for free. I was hoping at least 1 third party resource is free.

Hm. Do you need many textbooks first year? I'm looking at the cost of this stuff, and it's basically the cost of college textbooks ( FA is around 50 dollars, but the Sketchymedical package is around $200), so is it like, you pay for these third party resources , but then don't buy a bunch of textbooks like you did in college?
Damn, I can't beleive we don't get firecracker for free. I was hoping at least 1 third party resource is free.
No textbooks are needed. Everything tested is on the powerpoint slides. If there is ever a time you'd like to reference a textbook, there is an online database (they teach us how to use it) and the medical library (you can borrow the books).

Yeah unfortunately so. However, it changes year to year, so you never know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, has anybody gotten like 3 "student status" emails and gotten nervous everytine and it's just talking about students who wish to defer their enrollment :rolleyes:

Hi everyone-
Idk if my brain is still used to college- but we don't have to enroll for any of our classes ourselves, do we?

Hi everyone-
Idk if my brain is still used to college- but we don't have to enroll for any of our classes ourselves, do we?
Ahaha it happens to the best of us.
But you don't have to add the classes. They will be automatically done for you. :D

Ahaha it happens to the best of us.
But you don't have to add the classes. They will be automatically done for you. :D
At the zoom meeting I asked why we hand't gotten our schedules yet and if we were supposed to do something and an M2 said that NYIT is lethally slow with emails and to just get used to it! Lol

At the zoom meeting I asked why we hand't gotten our schedules yet and if we were supposed to do something and an M2 said that NYIT is lethally slow with emails and to just get used to it! Lol
Lmfao. I can't argue with that.

Are you asking about the group you're going to be in? Like the one that determines when you have OMM, DPR, and lab?
If yes and if I remember correctly, we technically got the email during one of our orientation days.

A week ago, we were told that my class can choose who our group members are/day+time of the week we'd like to go in for in person labs (to reduce the number of different people we come in contact with b/c of covid) We still haven't gotten an email to let us do so lol.

Lmfao. I can't argue with that.

Are you asking about the group you're going to be in? Like the one that determines when you have OMM, DPR, and lab?
If yes and if I remember correctly, we technically got the email during one of our orientation days.

A week ago, we were told that my class can choose who our group members are/day+time of the week we'd like to go in for in person labs (to reduce the number of different people we come in contact with b/c of covid) We still haven't gotten an email to let us do so lol.
That's what I was trying to ask about but they thought I was asking if we can choose our lab slots ourselves lol. I just checked, that email was sent 5 days ago and they said we would receive that email "over the course of the next two weeks" so we just need to keep waiting, haha. I just got kinda nervous that I missed something.

Posting on behalf of someone
"Hi everyone! Congrats on acceptance and hope you are all enjoying summer! Im a 2nd year looking for 2 people to fill a 5 bedroom 2bathroom house in Glen Cove. Rooms range from $650-$735 +utilities Good location, ~15mins from campus, 10 if you drive fast! Please contact 516-368-2212"

Hi everyone, but based on the emails we've gotten.

From Thanksgiving to January 5th we will be completely remote. So we will be living in our student housing almost all of Nov, and almost all of Jan, but December rent is a wash.( Nov 25th which is TGiving- to end of Winter break which is Jan 6th).

Am I the only one mad about this?

In case anyone checks this more than their email, they sent us the lab signup a couple of hours ago. It looks like Tuesday and Wednesday are already filled.

• Wow
I thought only first years signed up for the sheet?
Idk if we're talking about the same types of sign up sheet, but us second year also had to sign up for groups with 8 members for labs = limit the number of people we come in contact with

Guys I know I keep posting on here and it's a little much, but I'm suddenly worried about something. I'm watching the orientation videos, and I'm noticing they aren't getting marked as " watched". Is there some kind of proof the school gets that we've completed all the videos? Is there something I'm missing?

Guys I know I keep posting on here and it's a little much, but I'm suddenly worried about something. I'm watching the orientation videos, and I'm noticing they aren't getting marked as " watched". Is there some kind of proof the school gets that we've completed all the videos? Is there something I'm missing?
It is fixed now! someone emailed IT

Last edited:
Is anyone still on the waitlist? :( Any hope for movement?

Reactions: 4 users
do you all think there is a chance they give out deferred acceptances to people on the waitlist for next year?

do you all think there is a chance they give out deferred acceptances to people on the waitlist for next year?
Hm, I think they would have to give an acceptance for this year first, and then give the option to defer.

On that note, I wonder how many people are taking the defer option vs starting next month.

Reactions: 1 users
So to make sure so the video I watched 2 days ago shows in video history. Does it have to say watched somewhere ? Also the video I watched end to end still has grey line in the bottom when I looked in the history. Is that with everyone ? please let me know. thanks

So to make sure so the video I watched 2 days ago shows in video history. Does it have to say watched somewhere ? Also the video I watched end to end still has grey line in the bottom when I looked in the history. Is that with everyone ? please let me know. thanks
It still isn't showing up as watched, I rewatched some of them! I'm just gonna watch the whole module and then send an email later or something. Maybe they can see on their end that it's been watched?

Can somebody please chime in on whether or not they are also having this issue? Has anybody watched the videos and had them marked as watched?

It still isn't showing up as watched, I rewatched some of them! I'm just gonna watch the whole module and then send an email later or something. Maybe they can see on their end that it's been watched?

Can somebody please chime in on whether or not they are also having this issue? Has anybody watched the videos and had them marked as watched?
Click on your name in the top right corner, then click "My History." Once you are there you can click "My History" and go to "Completed History" to see which are marked as completely watched. The ones of mine that weren't initially marked as complete were after yesterday, maybe check again? The other student said IT categorized the videos wrong and that's why they weren't showing up.

Click on your name in the top right corner, then click "My History." Once you are there you can click "My History" and go to "Completed History" to see which are marked as completely watched. The ones of mine that weren't initially marked as complete were after yesterday, maybe check again? The other student said IT categorized the videos wrong and that's why they weren't showing up.
The ones I watched couple days ago shows in the complete category. Thanks for clarifying :)

Just withdrew my acceptance at JB due to acceptance at my state school. Best of luck!
How did withdrawing acceptance go. From what I’ve seen, they have confirmed enrollment as of July 1st to clearing house and I’m not sure how a withdrawal will affect future applications? Although you are going to state school so you won’t be reapplying.

Has there been any movement today/ is admin still accepting off the waitlist?

Has there been any movement today/ is admin still accepting off the waitlist?

The school MAY (strong emphasis on the 'MAY') not be accepting any more applicants. I am basing this on the fact that the orientation is in a week from today.

An email went out today encouraging folks to contact the Site Dean at OW if they’re interested in deferring for a year. In exchange, they’d receive a one year tuition scholarship (~$63k) for when they enter next year as the Class of 2025. This is in response to the school wanting to “exceed CDC and local health department guidelines and to decrease the number of students entering this year.”

Thoughts?
Still doesn't seem worth it to me. The question is really are you willing to waste a year of your life and a year's salary as an attending for saving 63k now? For me, the answer is still no. I think the bigger implication is that anyone still on the waitlist is now even more unlikely (probs 0) to get off. As well as the more people that do defer means there will be fewer spots for those applying next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks folks :) Definitely not what I hoped to hear but appreciate the perspective.

Still doesn't seem worth it to me. The question is really are you willing to waste a year of your life and a year's salary as an attending for saving 63k now? For me, the answer is still no. I think the bigger implication is that anyone still on the waitlist is now even more unlikely (probs 0) to get off. As well as the more people that do defer means there will be fewer spots for those applying next year.
The group chat has been blowing up w this.
Did they overadmit, did they exceed CDC guidelines, or are they really just being extra cautious?

The group chat has been blowing up w this.
Did they overadmit, did they exceed CDC guidelines, or are they really just being extra cautious?
From the way I interpret the email, it seems like it was a poor (and confusing) choice to use "exceed". They wish to "exceed" the guidelines by having smaller groups than the deemed maximum amount. In this case, "exceed" means fewer, not more. They did not "exceed" the number of people allowed as per the guidelines. Honestly, I think that they have a genuine wish to have as small as possible groups on campus for our health, as fewer students mean less money for them; so this is not a decision they would make lightly.

Everyone has complains about the reopening plan. But NYITCOM is very smart in its reopening plan. The administration is doing its best despite the circumstances to have in person labs (which are very important).