2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not yet. During zoom orientation session, they said they will be giving us the schedule in June, now that June is almost ending, not sure when this is actually going to happen!
All that I have been hearing is they might be one day on campus small group lab sessions (at the max 2 days), not sure for how many hours each week. Rest of the four days will be completely virtual. Again this information is not official, just what has been going around for quiet some time now.
What online orientation? The one in April for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad.

What online orientation? The one in April for accepted students?
orientation was the wrong word, the virtual accepted students day held through zoom is more accurate.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get another waitlist update email, to let them know you want to stay on the waitlist?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
White coat ceremony has ben postponed to January 2021. I knew something was gonna be up!
Also, the iPad is the 7th generation, which I beleive is the 2019 updated version. Pretty recent and comes with 4 years of Apple Care+. Generous!

Reactions: 2 users
White coat ceremony has ben postponed to January 2021. I knew something was gonna be up!
Also, the iPad is the 7th generation, which I beleive is the 2019 updated version. Pretty recent and comes with 4 years of Apple Care+. Generous!

Well it's out of our pocket anyway...:yeahright:

Well it's out of our pocket anyway...:yeahright:
Lol ya my dad was saying with how much they charge you you are p much paying for it...and I still gotta get the keyboard/stylus myself.

For those that haven't seen the email yet here are the highlights:
"You should expect to be on campus at least one day each week to participate in anatomy and small group sessions. After the Thanksgiving break we will be going to full remote teaching until the winter break. While our classes will start August 10th, you will be coming to campus between August 5th and 7th to pick up your iPads and other equipment. Orientation will be provided in modules starting in July".

He goes on to talk about self quarantining if you're coming from out of state. I don't think it's been talked about on this forum but last week Governor Cuomo issued an order that anyone coming from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, or Utah must quarantine for 14 days or receive a fine. From a NYT article: "In New York, Cuomo said, those violating the quarantine order could be “subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine.” A first violation could result in a $2,000 fine and could go up to $10,000 for subsequent violations". The states on that list will probably change between now and August but I would be cognizant of it before you come to NY.

Edit: Cuomo just added 8 more: California, Nevada, Idaho, Iowa, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Georgia

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
Did anybody send their transcripts vie snail mail ( my school doesn't email transcripts). It just occured to me- can they collect snail mail transcripts? Is the admissions office still open for mail? Should I email them telling them this?

Im so sad our white coat ceremony/ first semester of med school is gonna be ruined by COVID. I was planning on making as many friends as I can to stave off the loneliness in med school, but now I'll likely be cut off from everyone else for the first whole semester.

For those who are still on the wait list, make sure you check your spam email! I got an email from NYITCOM to confirm my position on the waitlist. It said an update for my waitlist status was due today (Tuesday June 30), so I’m glad I caught it right in time.

Does anybody know how long lectures have been and how often lectures occurred throughout the week in previous years? I know that this time around, it will be online lectures rather than in-person ones but the length of the lectures probably won't change from years past.
Just trying to plan ahead and see how my days are going to go.

When should I expect a criminal background check form to fill out? Or is it done automatically by the school?

When should I expect a criminal background check form to fill out? Or is it done automatically by the school?
I remember seeing on the accepted students page that the admissions committee will send us another email later on about the background check.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how long lectures have been and how often lectures occurred throughout the week in previous years? I know that this time around, it will be online lectures rather than in-person ones but the length of the lectures probably won't change from years past.
Just trying to plan ahead and see how my days are going to go.
Last year, there were three one hour lectures each day Monday to Thursday in the morning. Afternoons were labs - 2 days of anatomy, one day OMM, and one day DPR?
This year, the schedule could be different, which we will get to know by mid to late July hopefully?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, there were three one hour lectures each day Monday to Thursday in the morning. Afternoons were labs - 2 days of anatomy, one day OMM, and one day DPR?
This year, the schedule could be different, which we will get to know by mid to late July hopefully?
Is there any PBL/TBL at all? The new cirriculum is supposed to be integrated, isn't it? I know I keep asking this but I gotta know! Haha.

Is there any PBL/TBL at all? The new cirriculum is supposed to be integrated, isn't it? I know I keep asking this but I gotta know! Haha.
pretty sure all of these questions will get answered with orientation. DPR could easily be transferred to a zoom curriculum and I would assume omm and anatomy could be done in small groups once/twice per week.

Has anyone signed their contract for the Circle apartments? If so, how?

Nope, I called housing and they said look out for an email to your astate and NYIT email about it. Id just like to say for anyone who is reading this, it is okay to call the school and ask questions, they want us to be there and want to help so don’t feel like you’re being annoying. Nothing wrong with asking on SDN if that’s what you want to do it’s just that I’ve found you get your questions answered correctly and much faster if you call! ;)

Nope, I called housing and they said look out for an email to your astate and NYIT email about it. Id just like to say for anyone who is reading this, it is okay to call the school and ask questions, they want us to be there and want to help so don’t feel like you’re being annoying. Nothing wrong with asking on SDN if that’s what you want to do it’s just that I’ve found you get your questions answered correctly and much faster if you call! ;)
Yes, I was going to call/email them, but glad you got to it first! And glad that I haven’t missed anything!

Hey y’all, I plan on purchasing a new laptop. I’m set on getting a MacBook Pro, but I want to make sure I’m making the right decision, especially since I’ve always been a PC person.

1. what are the pros and cons of the MacBook Pro?

2. Are you able to burn CDs on the Pro?

Thanks in advance!

Just withdrew from the waitlist! Good luck to all that are still holding on tight! Don't lose hope <3

Hey y’all, I plan on purchasing a new laptop. I’m set on getting a MacBook Pro, but I want to make sure I’m making the right decision, especially since I’ve always been a PC person.

1. what are the pros and cons of the MacBook Pro?

2. Are you able to burn CDs on the Pro?

Thanks in advance!

Pros:
Powerful, light, 10 hrs battery life, Mac OS as an operating system but you can use Windows through boot camp as well, easier to share files with an iPhone/ipad, I have a MacBook Pro from 2013 and it still feels new, these are just a few pros

Cons:
Expensive??

2. you can probably burn CDs but you’ll have to purchase an external optical drive.

Hi everyone,

So I'm ordering my med supplies, and I'm a little confused. I can't tell if I have the correct optho/otoscope. The doctor I scribed or sent me a diagnostic tool kit as a gift, after finding out I got in. It was a very generous gift, but I can't tell if it has the right tools. If I took to the first day of DPR and was told I need new ones, how easily would I be able to purchase them? ( The directions say if you're told you need new ones somebody will tell you and you will need to buy new ones).

so...anyone else gonna shave their disgusting, patchy quarantine beards before these getting to know you zoom chats?

so...anyone else gonna shave their disgusting, patchy quarantine beards before these getting to know you zoom chats?
forget shaving, dude i need to hit the barber. probably gonna take a buzzcut to my head tomorrow or something, still too scared to go to an actual barbershop

forget shaving, dude i need to hit the barber. probably gonna take a buzzcut to my head tomorrow or something, still too scared to go to an actual barbershop
I'm on Long Island and went about 2 weeks ago. I showed up right as they opened and was the only one there. Barber wore gloves and a mask the whole time, FWIW.

You know, with the fact that everything for first year will go totally remote between Thanksgiving beak- to the end of winter break , anybody thinking of moving home during that time? Like just go back and live with your parents instead of going nuts in your apartment all day?

I know I keep mentioning this, but anybody who got in in June have their Background Check cleared? It's been so long since I submitted mine and my " to do " list it says " initiated" but not complete...it's really stressing me out...

Last edited:
I know we're getting Ipads, but would you guys think a laptop is necessary. For example, some schools require it and have exams administered that way. Mine is pretty old and am wondering if I should get a new one.

I know we're getting Ipads, but would you guys think a laptop is necessary. For example, some schools require it and have exams administered that way. Mine is pretty old and am wondering if I should get a new one.
I'm pretty sure exams are administered on the iPad.

You know, with the fact that everything for first year will go totally remote between Thanksgiving beak- to the end of winter break , anybody thinking of moving home during that time? Like just go back and live with your parents instead of going nuts in your apartment all day?

I know I keep mentioning this, but anybody who got in in June have their Background Check cleared? It's been so long since I submitted mine and my " to do " list it says " initiated" but not complete...it's really stressing me out...
did you receive a reply back from certiphi with the results of your background check? if so, then you're clear

did you receive a reply back from certiphi with the results of your background check? if so, then you're clear
I have not! Just the receipt saying I submitted it and made the payment. Thats the whole issue.

then i would call certiphi to track your order. I got the results of my background check in less than a week. Make sure you didnt miss anything.

For those that haven't seen the email yet here are the highlights:
"You should expect to be on campus at least one day each week to participate in anatomy and small group sessions. After the Thanksgiving break we will be going to full remote teaching until the winter break. While our classes will start August 10th, you will be coming to campus between August 5th and 7th to pick up your iPads and other equipment. Orientation will be provided in modules starting in July".

He goes on to talk about self quarantining if you're coming from out of state. I don't think it's been talked about on this forum but last week Governor Cuomo issued an order that anyone coming from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, or Utah must quarantine for 14 days or receive a fine. From a NYT article: "In New York, Cuomo said, those violating the quarantine order could be “subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine.” A first violation could result in a $2,000 fine and could go up to $10,000 for subsequent violations". The states on that list will probably change between now and August but I would be cognizant of it before you come to NY.

Edit: Cuomo just added 8 more: California, Nevada, Idaho, Iowa, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Georgia
Add: Delaware, Kansas, Oklahoma

I just gave up my seat at the OW campus. Good luck everyone!

Did anybody get that COVID event email and think it was mandatory at first ( as well as the student status email, and thinking something was wrong with your status).:rolleyes:

Just an FYI for those of you that have not ordered scrubs...it is recommended you try on Cherokee’s 4100 style of pants, and 4777*** style for the scrub top, which are both unisex. Cherokee brand scrubs tend to run a size larger, but it is still a good idea to try them on before placing your order. The form says 4771 for the scrub top, which I believe is a typo (hence, the asterisks above). I went to the medical uniform store a second time to make sure I tried on the correct style, especially since 4771 is unheard of (at least where I live).

For reference, I am a female and I usually wear a large in leggings/pants, and small for tops - I ordered an XS for the top and M for the pants.

Did anybody get that COVID event email and think it was mandatory at first ( as well as the student status email, and thinking something was wrong with your status).:rolleyes:

I doubt the event is mandatory, otherwise, I think they would have indicated that. I think it’s encouraged for us to attend. If you’re still not sure, it wouldn’t hurt to join!

Do you guys know where to go to watch the modules? I went to MY NYIT but I couldn’t find anything in regards to that.

Also, in regards to the immunizations, I sent all the documents to [email protected] and I even sent a follow up email about a week later asking if they received my documents but I have not received any reply. Is there anything else I need to be doing in order to properly send all the immunization forms?

Just withdrew my acceptance at JB due to acceptance at my state school. Best of luck!

Guys , NYITCOM just sent an urgent email where you need to confirm if you would like to start at NYITCOM this year, defer to next year, or withdraw your application. It's from the NYITCOM official email address and was in my application email. A response is required by 5pm tomorrow, Friday, July 10th, 2020. You need to pay attention to this fast.

Do you or anyone else know if this is binding by any chance?
NO idea. I do plan on starting this year barring anything extreme so I said I plan on starting next month. I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet ( the one where they confirm your google form response) so that is making me nervous. I would call.

NO idea. I do plan on starting this year barring anything extreme so I said I plan on starting next month. I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet ( the one where they confirm your google form response) so that is making me nervous. I would call.
I don't think you receive a confirmation email. I didn't as well as others in the GroupMe.

I don't think you receive a confirmation email. I didn't as well as others in the GroupMe.
God thats really making me nervous.
Do you think I could enail admin and double confirm? I get really anxious about stuff like this...