You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats to yall with your II's!!!
no so very surprisedcongrats! do you have ties to the state?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was Completed 6/29 still no word though
LMFAO woke up to another Oakland University spam mail LOL
Ouwb seems to really care about the applicants and it feels great but ill be darned if every one of these emails doesn't give me a minor aneurysm when I realize it isnt a II. It also just occurred to me that i read II as (a two)...
Hannahmarlene
Full Member
When were you complete? Congrats!II just now... very surprised by this! OOS with an mcat on the lower end.
Complete on 7/2When were you complete? Congrats!
TheBoranIdentity
Full Member
II just now! I am so excited since this is my first MD one. OOS, no ties. Complete 7/6
Complete 7/3 Oakland please smile upon meee
II just now. Completed 08/01! OOS.
Was Completed 6/29 still no word though
II just now. Completed 08/01! OOS.
Please tell me that’s a typo
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted my secondary August 1.Please tell me that’s a typo
For someone coming from Boston, MA, What's the closest Airport?
LMFAO woke up to another Oakland University spam mail LOL
I’m not getting spam is that a bad sign lol?
TheBoranIdentity
Full Member
Any of you who recently got an II sign up for the 9/6 date?
I chose the 9/26 date! Soonest I could get off work haha.
I did. Flying from Boston.Any of you who recently got an II sign up for the 9/6 date?
It is hard to pinpoint. But I think fitting the mission of the school might be the one. Hope this helps.If you don’t mind me asking, what do you think about your app got you such a quick turnaround (like high stats, URM, amazing mission fit, etc)?
You give me hope lol I was complete in early August too
I am scheduled for 10/4. I also signed up for the student host program for the night before the interview and the night after. I've heard staying with current students is a great experience, so I'm hoping it works out. Excited to see you all there! Good luck everybody!
ForMeOrNotForMe
New Member
II this morning! OOS Complete 7/3.
me too!!I chose the 9/26 date! Soonest I could get off work haha.
If you've never been to Michigan you should just be thankful you are interviewing in fall and not winter hahaKinda nervous for the interview seeing as how I have zero ties to the area and have never been to Michigan...
I am not sure the exact rate and they can probably answer that on the day of your interview but when I interviewed I believe they said 50% of those who interview will be accepted. Numbers may be changing since when I interviewed though as the forum for the most recent class seems to indicate people on the first tier waitlist had still not been accepted (typically those placed on the first tier waitlist are all eventually accepted and some of those on second tier waitlist were accepted). Again, I could be way off base.Does anybody know the post-interview accept rate? Since they only interviewed ~460 last year, you'd expect it to be pretty high
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the info 🙂 are you a current student at OUWB? Could you please tell us a little about what to expect at the actual 1 on 1 interview portions of the interview day?I am not sure the exact rate and they can probably answer that on the day of your interview but when I interviewed I believe they said 50% of those who interview will be accepted. Numbers may be changing since when I interviewed though as the forum for the most recent class seems to indicate people on the first tier waitlist had still not been accepted (typically those placed on the first tier waitlist are all eventually accepted and some of those on second tier waitlist were accepted). Again, I could be way off base.
ForMeOrNotForMe
New Member
To anyone interviewing on the 9/13 date, want to share an Uber or Lyft ride to campus around 6pm on 9/12?
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you think about your app got you such a quick turnaround (like high stats, URM, amazing mission fit, etc)?
You give me hope lol I was complete in early August too
I’m glad they give you hope. Because they I submitted mid July and they made me lose all hope and sent me down a neurotic and self-defeating road
D
deleted804295
Will anyone be at the open house? I could see myself going if it helps admission decisions but I would have to fly out.
wsu_premed
Full Member
Has anyone gotten an interview with a 503 MCAT?
I have a 504 OOS w/ no ties and I recently got one.Has anyone gotten an interview with a 503 MCAT?
edit: but the rest of my app is very above-average from what I hear.
Last edited:
bluerock
Full Member
I'm looking for someone to share an Uber to the Detroit airport after the interview on 9/13.To anyone interviewing on the 9/13 date, want to share an Uber or Lyft ride to campus around 6pm on 9/12?
II on August 27th. OOS. App complete 7/3.
I mean, come on now. I don't have a II at all but I can definitely see how they're prioritizing certain applicants first. Some schools will notice us too soon : )
II on August 27th. OOS. App complete 7/3.
Omg. This means there going in chronological order. I may be more excited for your post than you are
Judging purely from last years thread, they don’t go in order.. unless they changed something. Some people got II’s in January and were complete in July!Omg. This means there going in chronological order. I may be more excited for your post than you are
Judging purely from last years thread, they don’t go in order.. unless they changed something. Some people got II’s in January and were complete in July!
So what your saying is all hope is not lost?
I would say definitely not! Just go back to last years thread 🙂 good luck!!So what your saying is all hope is not lost?
D
deleted804295
Thanks so much! Unfortunately I live pretty far. I really like OUWB so I might consider traveling out there but I'm already missing so many classes from interviews that idk if I should miss class just for an open house that's out of state.@Sunbodi I registered for the open house! I live in the area. Not sure if it will have any affect on II/acceptance decision but OUWB is my first choice and I really want to learn more about it. I'll post in the thread again once I go and share what I learned. 🙂
Attending open houses does not affect admission decisions so do not feel the need to fly out for that sole reason.Will anyone be at the open house? I could see myself going if it helps admission decisions but I would have to fly out.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I am a current OUWB student. The morning of your interview day you will be given a folder with your schedule for the day and on it will be the name of the people interviewing you. Feel free to look them up or ask the current students about them. You won't interview until after lunch. Interviews take place at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak (they bus and feed you there). After lunch you will have your two one on one interviews as well as a tour of the hospital. This could be in any order so some people have both their interviews then their tour, some have an interview then tour then another interview, and some people have a tour then both their interviews. You will be escorted to your interview so you don't have to worry about locating the building/room. The interview will last 30 minutes. Once it is complete, the person who dropped you off at your interview will be waiting to take you back to the meeting room. Typically one interview is with a Beaumont physician and one is with a professor/administrator at OUWB. These interviews tend to be incredibly casual and low-stress.Thank you for the info 🙂 are you a current student at OUWB? Could you please tell us a little about what to expect at the actual 1 on 1 interview portions of the interview day?
Thank you so much! Does OUWB have a huge emphasis on fit over stats? I was just extremely surprised to receive an II from them, but when I was researching schools they were 1 of those very rare schools where I could really see myself loving it there.Yes I am a current OUWB student. The morning of your interview day you will be given a folder with your schedule for the day and on it will be the name of the people interviewing you. Feel free to look them up or ask the current students about them. You won't interview until after lunch. Interviews take place at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak (they bus and feed you there). After lunch you will have your two one on one interviews as well as a tour of the hospital. This could be in any order so some people have both their interviews then their tour, some have an interview then tour then another interview, and some people have a tour then both their interviews. You will be escorted to your interview so you don't have to worry about locating the building/room. The interview will last 30 minutes. Once it is complete, the person who dropped you off at your interview will be waiting to take you back to the meeting room. Typically one interview is with a Beaumont physician and one is with a professor/administrator at OUWB. These interviews tend to be incredibly casual and low-stress.
OUWB has a very holistic approach to accepting students. They really look to fill their classes with a wide variety of people with different experiences. I would say OUWB also places more of an emphasis on community service/extra-curricular activities over stats such as MCAT or GPA. As previously mentioned on this thread, OUWB has a very particular type of community amongst its students so they are looking for students who will contribute to this school community in some way. You will hear the word community said at least 576 times at interview day. Could be a fun drinking game to play. If you receive an interview from them, there is already something about you that they think would make a great addition to OUWB and you have already caught their attention from the thousands that apply.Thank you so much! Does OUWB have a huge emphasis on fit over stats? I was just extremely surprised to receive an II from them, but when I was researching schools they were 1 of those very rare schools where I could really see myself loving it there.
A tip overall: at any interview it's important to remember that yes the school is interviewing you but you are also interviewing the school and need to make sure it is somewhere that you will be happy. Medical school is hard and challenging so it's important that you enjoy where you go and the people you go to school with.
TheBoranIdentity
Full Member
Has anyone heard back from the student hosts yet? Wondering how long to wait before looking at Air bnbs or hotels.
I got an email and they said they would let me know 2 weeks before the interview if I have a hostHas anyone heard back from the student hosts yet? Wondering how long to wait before looking at Air bnbs or hotels.
