2019-2020 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
In regards to being an OOS, how receptive are they? Guesstimate on stats that would make you competitive here?

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to being an OOS, how receptive are they? Guesstimate on stats that would make you competitive here?
From what I’ve seen they’re much more lenient with in-state. OOS should have the competitive GPA and MCAT. If you can show ties to OK your chances are better. 3.6 gpa and 500+ MCAT should get you on their radar. Attending premed events and checking in frequently could award an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Questions (@PapaGuava ):

1.What is your most important relationship or who is the most influential person in your life and why? Word Count: 300

2. Optional: Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you? Word Count: 500

Just got my "completed" email. Good luck to everyone else applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my "completed" email. Good luck to everyone else applying.
I have so far just got an email saying my secondary was received, however I have all my materials in. Did you get another email following the “secondary received” email, or just that one?

I have so far just got an email saying my secondary was received, however I have all my materials in. Did you get another email following the “secondary received” email, or just that one?
I got a separate email. This one says that the application is complete and that they regularly review complete application to select for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a separate email. This one says that the application is complete and that they regularly review complete application to select for interviews.
Ok thanks! I wonder what mine is waiting for then

Wouldn’t hurt to give them a call or shoot an email. Plus it’s probably a busy time for them being the cycle just started.

My portal says I am still missing letters. I emailed them and was told they were having IT issues with their new system. Maybe that is why

3rd year at OSU here. Just finished boards and start rotations next week. Any questions about the school, hospital, tulsa let me know. Feel free to shoot me a pm also if privacy is needed. Best of luck to y'all

1) How involved are medical students in research if they aren't apart of a dual degree program? Is it relatively common and does the school provide resources for getting involved in a lab?

2) Do you like the atmosphere of the community at OSUCOM? Are students actively supportive of each other and involved in the community or is it more like everyone is doing their own thing?

Thanks for offering your insight! Hope your boards went well!

Last edited:
incoming MS1 here. I don't have much info with course work yet, but any questions about the on-boarding process, i'd love to answer them.

OOSer here. Also a 3rd year that just finished boards and did very well. Feel free to ask me any questions.

1) How involved are medical students in research if they aren't apart of a dual degree program? Is it relatively common and does the school provide resources for getting involved in a lab?

The people not in dual degree programs that do research with the V research team publish more than the people in dual degree programs minus the student doing a PhD with the V team, but I don't think there is a new one of those now that the old one moved on to rotations. I have multiple publications as well with 3 more on the way, one is a first author in my desired field. All of them in high quality journals. Going to be pushing 10 before my residency application if everything goes to plan.

However you have to be a good student. Dr. V won't let you on the team if you don't show you can handle the academics first and foremost.
2) Do you like the atmosphere of the community at OSUCOM? Are students actively supportive of each other and involved in the community or is it more like everyone is doing their own thing?

OSU has a great community, the students are very helpful with each other. The people less involved are typically the people with families and stuff, aka me lol.
Anyone know how common scholarships are?

Not very.

Does OSU-COM send the secondary to everyone automatically upon application receipt or do they pre-screen? My AACOMAS was verified yesterday but then put on ‘undelivered’ due to some technicalities in my (oh so) not-standard undergraduate history. I’ve received a secondary from another school though and that got me thinking...

Does OSU-COM send the secondary to everyone automatically upon application receipt or do they pre-screen? My AACOMAS was verified yesterday but then put on ‘undelivered’ due to some technicalities in my (oh so) not-standard undergraduate history. I’ve received a secondary from another school though and that got me thinking...

Everyone gets a secondary.

How long should receiving the secondary take? I was verified on 7/15 and have received all of my other secondaries except this one. I am OOS and should have competitive MCAT, GPA, etc.

OOSer here. Also a 3rd year that just finished boards and did very well. Feel free to ask me any questions.
If you don't mind me asking, how were your stats when you were applying to OSU? I am also OOS but I am from KS, if that helps in the slightest...

If you don't mind me asking, how were your stats when you were applying to OSU? I am also OOS but I am from KS, if that helps in the slightest...

My GPA was a little below the average but my MCAT was 10+ points above the average. Being from a neighboring state will probably actually help a tiny bit, but it depends on your stats.

Nice! Congrats. When was your guys' application complete? Mine has hit "complete" today...

Lolz. I've long ways to go then... hopefully. Congratulations!

How long did it take some of you guys to hear back from OSU? I'm an OOS applicant, submitted my primary just after mid-July. AACOMAS had my MCAT score but didn't actually assign it to my app until last week so I'm worried that has affected me.

How long did it take some of you guys to hear back from OSU? I'm an OOS applicant, submitted my primary just after mid-July. AACOMAS had my MCAT score but didn't actually assign it to my app until last week so I'm worried that has affected me.

I did the same back in the day. You'll be fine.

Thanks for offering your insight! Hope your boards went well!

1) very. Currently have 30 pubs all in med school

2) OSU is a great community / great school. In light of the merger it is separating itself as one of the best DO schools in the country because of research, access to residency programs (letters, strong ward based rotations etc), and state school affiliation.

OOS State student 4th year. Happy to answer any questions

For OOS you want to be 3.6+ and 505+ to be safe I would say. Or have one of those much higher than that (ie: 3.2 and 510+)

OOS State student 4th year. Happy to answer any questions

For OOS you want to be 3.6+ and 505+ to be safe I would say. Or have one of those much higher than that (ie: 3.2 and 510+)

Do they have any love for URM/minority students (outside of the normal medical school's need to fill a quota I guess)? I'll take any advantage I can get lol.

Do they have any love for URM/minority students (outside of the normal medical school's need to fill a quota I guess)? I'll take any advantage I can get lol.

Every school will have that. Being URM will boost you everywhere most likely. OSU will for sure.