2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm...not sure if I should go get a lowkey microphone, the only thing I have rn is this Razer RGB gaming headset that makes me look like a huge nerd while wearing . Might just get one of those phone operator style one to look more professional.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
@zNoodlez What platform are they using to conduct the interview? Skype? Zoom? Is there any way that you can connect to the interview with multiple devices, i.e. connect to video with your webcam but connect to audio with your smart-phone?

Last edited:
@zNoodlez What platform are they using to conduct the interview? Skype? Zoom? Is there any way that you can connect to the interview with multiple devices, i.e. connect to video with your webcam but connect to audio with your smart-phone?
They’re using ZOOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are using Zoom. Basically, they will send a connection link to your email where you will access to download a small program, which upon launching will open up the video conference. I think you can use Android or iPhone to launch it too, but highly recommend a laptop or desktop to maximize professionalism.

They are using Zoom. Basically, they will send a connection link to your email where you will access to download a small program, which upon launching will open up the video conference. I think you can use Android or iPhone to launch it too, but highly recommend a laptop or desktop to maximize professionalism.
Exactly, that's what I was getting at. I'm sure interviewees can request to call in ahead of time to test their setup and audio to make for a smoother interview.

Did the interviewees for tomorrow receive their link already? I don’t know if I should contact Ms. Ennis or the link will come tomorrow morning

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question is there a thread where prior interviewees talk about what their interviews are like and the type of questions they were asked? Someone else on SDN said that their school had one and I cannot find it and have not seen that type of conversation in this thread. Thanks for the help.

I didn’t see a thread when I looked last year, but I think that if you visit the SDN website and find the school page on there there might be some posted. There was a section somewhere about the interview experience, pretty sure that is what it was under. That’s what I did to prep for my interview when I went through it. There may be some different questions, but they seemed to run along the same train of thought.

Quick question is there a thread where prior interviewees talk about what their interviews are like and the type of questions they were asked? Someone else on SDN said that their school had one and I cannot find it and have not seen that type of conversation in this thread. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the style of the curriculum at PNWU is it PBL or traditional?

It is traditional. There are some instances where PBL is utilized, but not many. This is the case for the first year thus far anyway.

Does anyone have any experiences/details regarding "self-study" time in the PNWU curriculum? Somewhere in this forum, I have read that your 2nd year is largely composed of "self-study" time.

Does anyone know if the interviewees who interviewed today still have the potential for direct acceptance or if we are fighting for waitlist spots?
I cannot imagine my interview could have gone better so I just don't know how high to get my hopes. Cause this is the best I have felt since forever.

I don’t know the schools exact numbers of openings this year, but I can say that at this time last year there were still some slots open.

This is about the same time that a few of my classmates and I interviewed last year. I was placed on the waitlist, but still got the acceptance after the ranking.

I’m glad the interview went well for you. I hope you hear good news soon!

Hmm...not sure if I should go get a lowkey microphone, the only thing I have rn is this Razer RGB gaming headset that makes me look like a huge nerd while wearing . Might just get one of those phone operator style one to look more professional.
Can’t you use your gaming headset mic as the input and speakers as the output?

I have a mac and I was in a quiet room and I did not need any sort of headset and it went 100% smoothly.
I will say try to have a wired internet connection my WIFi got sketchy and it stressed me the F out.

I put my hotspot on during the 40 min MMI because I thought my xfinity was lagging during the main interview. A suggestion if anyone else in the future wants to do that.

I really appreciate the effort the school made to do online interviews. It was my first one, and they had set it up quickly with everything going on with the coronavirus and all. I think PNWU did a great job! I didn’t get to take a feedback survey but hopefully the office knows they did good haha Everyone was nice to talk to and chill. I think there were at least 50 other interviewees so I don’t think I stood out but I enjoyed my time!

Anyone care to share how the MMI portion of the virtual interview went? Also, are there group processes as well (I was told that for the on-campus interview there are a couple group activities..)?

Has anyone interviewing next week received any email about the details of the virtual interview?

Has anyone interviewing next week received any email about the details of the virtual interview?

For last week, they sent out links and info the day before. Look out for it next Thursday and email them if you don't get it late afternoon-ish.

Hey all, I just withdrew my acceptance! I wish you all the best of luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Recently emailed admissions asking about any potential changes to waitlist movement/acceptances/orientation/white coat ceremony and this is what they told me! Just in case anyone was wondering what the status was on their end!
772D13FB-8FCB-4D8D-B6BA-53774E93AAB2.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Do you know what days the admissions committee meets?

I do not know when exactly they meet, but from what I can tell PNWU is very good about rendering their decision to interviewees 2 weeks post interview. Then again, this was true for me back when I received my acceptance November 1st - maybe things have changed somewhat in response to the virus?

Do you know what days the admissions committee meets?
If they‘re following the schedule they have been, they should give people who have been accepted a call on the friday two weeks after the interview

Regarding clinical rotation sites, I couldn't find much information on locations. Are there clinical rotation sites in Seattle or near Seattle or is it mostly specific to Yakima? I saw that they allow for out of state rotations as well, but just didn't see a request for locations.

Regarding clinical rotation sites, I couldn't find much information on locations. Are there clinical rotation sites in Seattle or near Seattle or is it mostly specific to Yakima? I saw that they allow for out of state rotations as well, but just didn't see a request for locations.

This is a link to the clinical sites:

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if I could get some insight for the future. I am a nontraditional student, from Georgia, with lots of extracurriculars, leadership, scribe experience, as well as lots of experience working with rural and underserved communities (which is where I grew up). However, I had a lower undergrad gpa of 2.7 but will have a 3.3 master's GPA when applying, with a 507 MCAT. For next cycle, given that there may be less applicants, do I have a decent shot at this school? This school is my top choice. I am just a bit worried about my lower undergraduate GPA, but was unsure if there was anything else I could do at this point to boost my application. I know some schools say that if you have a 3.3-3.4 for the past 25-30 credits, they over look the undergraduate GPA. Does anyone know if this is true for this school? Please help!

I was wondering if I could get some insight for the future. I am a nontraditional student, from Georgia, with lots of extracurriculars, leadership, scribe experience, as well as lots of experience working with rural and underserved communities (which is where I grew up). However, I had a lower undergrad gpa of 2.7 but will have a 3.3 master's GPA when applying, with a 507 MCAT. For next cycle, given that there may be less applicants, do I have a decent shot at this school? This school is my top choice. I am just a bit worried about my lower undergraduate GPA, but was unsure if there was anything else I could do at this point to boost my application. I know some schools say that if you have a 3.3-3.4 for the past 25-30 credits, they over look the undergraduate GPA. Does anyone know if this is true for this school? Please help!
I think the chances are quite slim if you are not from Pacific NW region. Someone please correct me if I am wrong :).

What makes you say there will be less applicants next cycle? Just curious
It's just been from several predictions online that I've seen, and heard from several advisors due to the fact people aren't able to take their MCAT on time, as well as finish research projects, shadowing, and/or get their LORS! It isn't set in stone but just a prediction!

I think the chances are quite slim if you are not from Pacific NW region. Someone please correct me if I am wrong :).
Hmm okay thank you! I just have seen varying information regarding that. I heard that it's more dependent on your passion for rural medicine! Also my finance has recently matched in Washington as well so just more of a preference for me!

Hmm okay thank you! I just have seen varying information regarding that. I heard that it's more dependent on your passion for rural medicine! Also my finance has recently matched in Washington as well so just more of a preference for me!
Matriculants from our 5-state catchment area - 71.6%
  • Alaska - 2.1%
  • Idaho - 2.8%
  • Montana - 4.2%
  • Oregon - 11.8%
  • Washington - 50.7%
Taken from their website.

I got an II here with less than 500 mcat. I'm not from NW region. I think this schools review more holistically and cares about mission.
Yeah, it is not at all impossible, but based on the class of 2023 data with 72% from the 5 listed states, you are looking at the remaning 28% split from the other 45. Chances are slim nonetheless.

I’m not in exactly the same position as you, but it does seem like our applications are somewhat similar. I’m from Northern California(very rural area), and have several years of research and clinical experience. I was a transfer student as and undergrad so I did a few years at community college before I transferred to UC Merced where I got my degree in biology. When I was at community college I did not do well as far as GPA, I had a lot of things going on with my own health and was not focused on my school work at all. I got almost all C’s my first year of college. I turned things around the next few semesters and was doing a lot better before I transferred, but I still transferred with my GPA sitting right at 3.2. Once I was at my four year school I really came into my own and over my two years there my GPA was a 3.9. My over all GPA ended up right about 3.4 and my Overall science GPA was 3.56. I interviewed at PNWU in Jan and was accepted! I was so worried that my early years of school when I was not doing my best would hurt me, but they gave me plenty of opportunities to explain what had happened during my interview. I think if you can show that you have an upward trend in your GPA that helps. PNWU definitely wants people who fit their mission so they are willing to look at you as a whole person if they think you will be a good fit. Good luck I think you have got this!

Reactions: 1 users