2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Similar stats, complete around labor day as well to 28 schools. All silence except put on hold from Mayo
When were you complete for Mayo?

Members don't see this ad.

522 completely in early July, still silence over here.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
522 completely in early July, still silence over here.
517, also complete early July, also no communication from Keck. I hope this means we’re still in the running

Reactions: 3 users
Complete 8/22, rejected 10/02 (redacted other info). :shrug:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
does anyone know what their post-II turnaround time is for decisions?

I've been following SDN school-specific threads for a while but only just made an account. One thing I've been curious about is why USC Keck's scandals haven't been mentioned much here? They've had three serious sexual assault and misconduct scandals in the past few years and I don't know why it hasn't been discussed more. Not to mention the general USC undegraduate school at the center of the whole college admissions scandal. I know it's turned me off to the school.

FYI the cardiology program's accreditation loss happened earlier this year.

• Wow
I've been following SDN school-specific threads for a while but only just made an account. One thing I've been curious about is why USC Keck's scandals haven't been mentioned much here? They've had three serious sexual assault and misconduct scandals in the past few years and I don't know why it hasn't been discussed more. Not to mention the general USC undegraduate school at the center of the whole college admissions scandal. I know it's turned me off to the school.

Because USC is still a great school in one of the most desirable areas of the country. No pre-med is going to care as long as Keck is still accredited and awarding MD degrees.

I’m not saying the scandals aren’t significant. They’re just not going to register with the thousands of applicants who desperately want to become doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wasn't familiar with some of these stories. Thanks for sharing. It's hard to keep up with the scandals at USC lol

• Sad

It’s in a dope area, matches competitively, has high STEP scores, and the students seem genuinely happy. Highly doubt any of the things you mention have an impact on a med student’s day to day life or residency chances.

Reactions: 1 user

I kind of knew about it in the back of my head... but like many peeps have alreadt commented, it’s just a sick school in a sick place

It’s in a dope area, matches competitively, has high STEP scores, and the students seem genuinely happy. Highly doubt any of the things you mention have an impact on a med student’s day to day life or residency chances.

Well... Update: 21 LGBTQ Students Sue USC, Sexual Health Physician
This one also shows that the school's sexual health physician was targeting LGBTQ students and groping them. This is the health center at USC - not sure if this is for the medical school, but I think this just shows students are also at risk.

Well... Update: 21 LGBTQ Students Sue USC, Sexual Health Physician
This one also shows that the school's sexual health physician was targeting LGBTQ students and groping them. This is the health center at USC - not sure if this is for the medical school, but I think this just shows students are also at risk.
That’s fair. But, speaking from my personal experience, the students I know there are super awesome, collaborative people and faculty members I interacted with were very open-minded and seemed forward thinking. I think it’d be oversimplifying the matter to assume one corrupt physician’s practice reflects an entire school’s culture. If these kinds of things deter you from applying here though, I don’t blame you at all.

R. Complete 9/22. First decision received. Sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
That’s fair. But, speaking from my personal experience, the students I know there are super awesome, collaborative people and faculty members I interacted with were very open-minded and seemed forward thinking. I think it’d be oversimplifying the matter to assume one corrupt physician’s practice reflects an entire school’s culture. If these kinds of things deter you from applying here though, I don’t blame you at all.
+1 on this.

By far one of my favorite interview day so far... students could not shut up about how much they love Keck

And that’s a good thing. Came across as more genuine than people who waited for me to ask what they liked about the school imo

Oh, I don't think we disagree at all, and I understand how location / match rate / interactions with students can outweigh the scandals and problems. But I did want to point out how it seems like this isn't just one physician's corruption, as there are several (recent) examples.

I feel that this whole application system is scary in the sense that there just aren't enough accessible options in California that a Keck acceptance would trump all of these other things. (And tbh, if Keck was my only acceptance - I'd take it despite all of my misgivings).

Ngl I feel kinda sad right now with my R since i love LA and would loved to have gone to USC. Kinda puzzled though bc I got an II from UTSW in 4 days after being complete in mid September, but that's my only one other II so far.
I legitimately thought I had a shot here too since its a dream school....any thoughts as to what could have happened? :(

Stats: 3.98/516/Goldwater Scholar/Nonprofit Co-founder/Published author/Multiple awards for service+research

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Ngl I feel kinda sad right now with my R since i love LA and would loved to have gone to USC. Kinda puzzled though bc I got an II from UTSW in 4 days after being complete in mid September, but that's my only one other II so far.
I legitimately thought I had a shot here too since its a dream school....any thoughts as to what could have happened? :(

Stats: 3.98/516/Goldwater Scholar/Nonprofit Co-founder/Published author/Multiple awards for service+research

Could be yield protection (although I don't think so, since your MCAT is within their 25-75th percentiles) or a red flag?

I am surprised you got an R so quickly from USC, considering the vast majority of applicants haven't heard back.

Could be yield protection (although I don't think so, since your MCAT is within their 25-75th percentiles) or a red flag?

I am surprised you got an R so quickly from USC, considering the vast majority of applicants haven't heard back.
I really hope its not a red flag??? :0 I tried calling them, but they said they don't give feedback lol. @medemac has a LM 76 though and complete around the same time as i, and he/she got an R as well?

Oh, I don't think we disagree at all, and I understand how location / match rate / interactions with students can outweigh the scandals and problems. But I did want to point out how it seems like this isn't just one physician's corruption, as there are several (recent) examples.

I feel that this whole application system is scary in the sense that there just aren't enough accessible options in California that a Keck acceptance would trump all of these other things. (And tbh, if Keck was my only acceptance - I'd take it despite all of my misgivings).
Agreed with everything you said. I think it kinda highlights how pre meds would basically sell their soul for an acceptance lol

Your secondary maybe?

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad

are you a CA resident?

Secondary complete 10/06. Just got my II! Super duper happy!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Those are some mighty yummy stats, huckleberry

• Haha
Secondary complete 10/06. Just got my II! Super duper happy!!
1570575355704.png

That turnaround time tho

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Me and a friend received Rs today, both complete 9/23

• Sad
  • Wow
I'm convinced they're done screening apps and are just waiting for the remaining stragglers before wrapping up their invites.

Not necessarily. It's possible that they are holding on to applicants as many are going to drop IIs after October 15. Given how fast they read apps and reject some applicants, it's possible that they already read our apps. Since we haven't been rejected yet, I'm assuming we're on some sort of internal hold. However, that might just be wishful thinking.

Do you think the date of the interview matters here? Like, would interviewing earlier have a significant advantage over interviewing later?

Do you think the date of the interview matters here? Like, would interviewing earlier have a significant advantage over interviewing later?
Since they’re rolling, there will definitely be some advantage. How big, I’m not sure

I called, and it seems like final decisions for the primary interview for the MD/PhD will be made by the end of today. I was told that if you applied and haven’t heard back, then to consider it a rejection from the MD/PhD (still under consideration for MD only).

Since they’re rolling, there will definitely be some advantage. How big, I’m not sure
Gonnif said it doesn't matter when you interview as long as you interview despite being called rolling. It was like a week or 2 ago. If you do a quick search, it should come right up :)

Gonnif said it doesn't matter when you interview as long as you interview despite being called rolling. It was like a week or 2 ago. If you do a quick search, it should come right up :)
If I interview in September for 150 available seats vs if I interview in January for now (no clue how many but ima just generously guess) 100 seats ... there are less seats for me, therefore a disadvantage of some degree. The degree might be debatable, but to say there’s no difference, i think, is not true

Gonnifs point was more along the lines that you should care when you got the invite vs. when the interview really is. If schools were willing to send you invites early in the cycle, they are basically telling you are a competitive applicant. Of course YMMV and with rolling admissions seats decrease over time.

If I interview in September for 150 available seats vs if I interview in January for now (no clue how many but ima just generously guess) 100 seats ... there are less seats for me, therefore a disadvantage of some degree. The degree might be debatable, but to say there’s no difference, i think, is not true

Last year, Dean Arias essentially told applicants for the March interviews that the class was full. & based upon the information that I got from who I knew who interviewed/attend Keck very few acceptance went out from the end of January/February/March cohorts.

Last year, Dean Arias essentially told applicants for the March interviews that the class was full. & based upon the information that I got from who I knew who interviewed/attend Keck very few acceptance went out from the end of January/February/March cohorts.
Wow that's wild. For those who do get a late invite, just be sure to prep well and do your research. Gotta bring the A game to SC!