2019-2020 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had someone at the admissions office tell me that you can submit your secondary application before the letters of recommendation have been verified, has anyone else heard differently?
Thats correct! I submitted my application, then two or so days later the letters were verified by them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just had someone at the admissions office tell me that you can submit your secondary application before the letters of recommendation have been verified, has anyone else heard differently?
That's correct. I submitted mine and the letters were verified a day later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't receive one, I just happened to notice when I was copying an essay that I intended to paste on another application :lol:

Still wondering if people ever got an email saying their application was complete?

Yeah I called them this morning too. She said that my payment still hasn't been processed because of the Utah holiday yesterday. I said I was calling because I was worried about submitting my secondary without the "letters of recommendation" box checked, but she said it was fine, and that I can submit, then just make sure it checks off within the next couple of days when they download them from AMCAS. Also was like the nicest administrative person I've ever talked to! I was a little bit worried about submitting without that box checked, but she said it was fine...

Yeah I called them this morning too. She said that my payment still hasn't been processed because of the Utah holiday yesterday. I said I was calling because I was worried about submitting my secondary without the "letters of recommendation" box checked, but she said it was fine, and that I can submit, then just make sure it checks off within the next couple of days when they download them from AMCAS. Also was like the nicest administrative person I've ever talked to! I was a little bit worried about submitting without that box checked, but she said it was fine...
I interviewed and was waitlisted here last cycle. The admissions staff are so nice.

I got an email today from admissions saying my file is under review. I submitted my secondary Monday 7/21.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent out confirmation emails this morning to everyone who has submitted as of today.

They sent out confirmation emails this morning to everyone who has submitted as of today.
Yeah I don't think everyone complete got that email today regardless of when you submitted! Which makes sense because I finally emailed last night after waiting patiently for 9 days :rofl:

Does anyone know if it looks bad to use the same descriptions for activities as in the primary app?

Does anyone know if it looks bad to use the same descriptions for activities as in the primary app?
No, you are supposed to use them. Really the only difference is you aren't limited to 15 activities!

As an OOS applicant with no ties other than a yearly visit to SLC for hiking/outdoorsy stuff, should I even bother submitting this secondary?
The 75k OOS tuition aint great either...

Not sure if this has been asked in here.. for those that received secondaries: are they doing the video interview thing again?

For the course section on the secondary: did people add every course that was relevant, or just enough courses to meet the requirement?

As an OOS applicant with no ties other than a yearly visit to SLC for hiking/outdoorsy stuff, should I even bother submitting this secondary?
The 75k OOS tuition aint great either...
I think there are only 15 seats for OOS students who didn't graduate from a Utah high school so the chances have to be slim. But I've seen you getting interviews at top schools so maybe there's a chance.

For the course section on the secondary: did people add every course that was relevant, or just enough courses to meet the requirement?
Just to meet the requirement.

After submitting a secondary or before? Best of luck with your other schools!!
Before! I was a little shocked. I have II for other schools already. I called to see if this was a mistake and the woman said they weren’t very interested in my masters degree and I had no ties to the state. Truth is, I had cancer treatment there over the years and would loved to have attended but all is well! And thank you, best of luck to you as well!

Before! I was a little shocked. I have II for other schools already. I called to see if this was a mistake and the woman said they weren’t very interested in my masters degree and I had no ties to the state. Truth is, I had cancer treatment there over the years and would loved to have attended but all is well! And thank you, best of luck to you as well!
I'm so sorry to hear this. The U is SO fickle. I'm sure you are an excellent applicant that another school will be lucky to have!

Reactions: 2 users
Is it okay to use the same activity for two different sections (like for both patient exposure and community service)? Or do we need to pick and choose. Additionally, why TF does the leadership section not allow us to have titles for our experiences? Seems weird.

Is it okay to use the same activity for two different sections (like for both patient exposure and community service)? Or do we need to pick and choose. Additionally, why TF does the leadership section not allow us to have titles for our experiences? Seems weird.

I discovered we need to pick and choose which activities go in patient exposure and community service rather than double dip. Undergrad pre-med advisor at the Univ of Utah told me this.

I discovered we need to pick and choose which activities go in patient exposure and community service rather than double dip. Undergrad pre-med advisor at the Univ of Utah told me this.
yeah it's definitely frowned upon

Frowned upon indeed.. it feels like the U digs for reasons to reject people
True. I heard they rejected someone for being too technical in their secondary descriptions rather than talking about holding patients hands (as a different applicant with the same job had done).

True. I heard they rejected someone for being too technical in their secondary descriptions rather than talking about holding patients hands (as a different applicant with the same job had done).
Wait whaaaa? I was pretty technical...so we're going to test this theory haha

Does anyone know whether clicking 'Submit' at the bottom of activity or essay sections finalizes that writing? If we edit it later and then click submit again, Utah should get the final version, right?

Does anyone know whether clicking 'Submit' at the bottom of activity or essay sections finalizes that writing? If we edit it later and then click submit again, Utah should get the final version, right?

It doesn’t finalize until you push submit at the end of the section. Once you do that, you cannot go back and edit your writing

Not sure if this has been asked in here.. for those that received secondaries: are they doing the video interview thing again?

I would like to know this too! Can’t find any info about it on the website, but MSAR says there’s a “Standardized Video Interview” that happens prior to the interview day.

Edit: the website says you do the SVI prior to the in-person interview. View attachment 274924

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done some digging on this and I am almost certain you won't be rejected for being technical on your secondary. In fact, you're "supposed" to be. My brother is a 3rd year and he asked around for me. He and his friends answer the questions directly, technically, and concisely. :)

The activities session said "up to 300 characters" but I successfully entered a paragraph with >500 characters. Should I follow the instruction?...

The activities session said "up to 300 characters" but I successfully entered a paragraph with >500 characters. Should I follow the instruction?...
I always stick to the instructions. What if it looks good to you, but is cut off for them? You could risk it, but if you're looking for opinions I would be safe rather than sorry.

I also kept everything under 300 characters including the spaces just in case. It's pretty dumb that it isn't self-regulated but nothing we can do about that now.

I also kept everything under 300 characters including the spaces just in case. It's pretty dumb that it isn't self-regulated but nothing we can do about that now.

Did you do this for the ‘role in research’ blurbs? It doesn’t seems like there’s a character limit for those

Does anyone's portal still say "Submitted - Pending Review" ? I never received a complete email even though I submitted on 7/24.

Does anyone's portal still say "Submitted - Pending Review" ? I never received a complete email even though I submitted on 7/24.

Yeah that's all mine has said since I turned it in! Hope that's right...

Is anyone else getting the error message of "The system was unable to save or submit your enrollment information" when trying to submit their plans for the upcoming year, or why you want to go to UUSOM prompts? Have tried multiple times today, but it won't work. They are both fairly longer responses (~400 words each) -- could there be a character limit that is not explicitly stated? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Is anyone else getting the error message of "The system was unable to save or submit your enrollment information" when trying to submit their plans for the upcoming year, or why you want to go to UUSOM prompts? Have tried multiple times today, but it won't work. They are both fairly longer responses (~400 words each) -- could there be a character limit that is not explicitly stated? Any and all advice is much appreciated.
When I submitted mine, the why Utah question specifically said 250 characters

When I submitted mine, the why Utah question specifically said 250 characters
Are you guys OOS? Wondering about the why Utah question