You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Utah
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the R. OOS w/ties. Oh well! Good luck to those still waiting!
D
deleted817122
OOS people on alternate list do you have other acceptances? I have one to UNM but Utah is my top choice, trying to figure out if there will be movement
everyone I know with an acceptance here is also holding acceptances at at least one other school. I also had tons of friends do this last year, and there was quite a bit of movement off the waitlist in May!
As a resident of WA with connections to OR, I am on 2 alternate lists, 2 on hold/yet to hear from after the interview, and 2 interviews scheduled. No acceptances.OOS people on alternate list do you have other acceptances? I have one to UNM but Utah is my top choice, trying to figure out if there will be movement
That is encouraging to hear!everyone I know with an acceptance here is also holding acceptances at at least one other school. I also had tons of friends do this last year, and there was quite a bit of movement off the waitlist in May!
swollenostrich
Full Member
On the alternate list. interviewed in october
Is?On the alternate list. interviewed in october
Alternate list email just now. IS. Interviewed Dec 13th. 3rd year applicant.
A classmate of mine (IS) just got an alternate email. I’m still waiting this is brutal!!
R. OOS with ties. Interviewed in Sept. Suerte to the rest of you!
Last edited:
Man that hurt. Just got the R. IS female, LM 70. Interviewed in September.
Damnit. Just got the R
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LilButterFriend
Full Member
Rejected just now. IS, interviewed in September
Last edited:
endogrinologist
New Member
Rejected. IS.
Been a lurker on this thread for a while now. I’m incredibly disappointed, but so grateful to have opportunities at several DO programs. I would love to reapply next year to the U but delaying my career another year would be tough for my family.
While it stings, I’m also feeling motivated. Whatever or wherever you all end up doing or being, with work and grind every day you can become exactly who you want to be!
This hasn’t killed my dream and I hope it hasn’t killed yours!
Peace out Utah 🙂
Been a lurker on this thread for a while now. I’m incredibly disappointed, but so grateful to have opportunities at several DO programs. I would love to reapply next year to the U but delaying my career another year would be tough for my family.
While it stings, I’m also feeling motivated. Whatever or wherever you all end up doing or being, with work and grind every day you can become exactly who you want to be!
This hasn’t killed my dream and I hope it hasn’t killed yours!
Peace out Utah 🙂
Got accepted about 2 hours ago. Been lurking like many others. IS applicant. Congrats to everyone else! And good luck to those who go somewhere else.
OOS, no ties, interviewed in November. Rejected
only school left, tomorrow is my birthday.
only school left, tomorrow is my birthday.
Alternate list. OOS, no ties.
Best of luck to those remaining, and lots of love to those who didn't get the outcome they were hoping for today...
Best of luck to those remaining, and lots of love to those who didn't get the outcome they were hoping for today...
D
deleted817122
Alternate list, IS, interviewed in November. Feeling very hopeful and excited! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!
Rejected a few hours ago, couldn’t post until I got home from work because my hubby checks SDN and I didn’t want him to find out that way.
My dad and brother went to the U and it sucked applying out of state although I lived 22 of my 24 years there and plan to return. I’m heartbroken. But grateful to have acceptances and others yet to hear from.
Sorry @koster35 you deserved this.
My dad and brother went to the U and it sucked applying out of state although I lived 22 of my 24 years there and plan to return. I’m heartbroken. But grateful to have acceptances and others yet to hear from.
Sorry @koster35 you deserved this.
I guess I didn't get in anywhere this year. It's quite surprising as I have good stats, competitive ECs, and had my essays reviewed. This just sucks
Bring on the depression
If anyone deserved it, it was you. I'm sorry you had to apply OOS. Such a bummer. Thanks for all of the encouragement! You are an incredible applicant and deserve all the best. Best of luck to you moving forward.Rejected a few hours ago, couldn’t post until I got home from work because my hubby checks SDN and I didn’t want him to find out that way.
My dad and brother went to the U and it sucked applying out of state although I lived 22 of my 24 years there and plan to return. I’m heartbroken. But grateful to have acceptances and others yet to hear from.
Sorry @koster35 you deserved this.
I guess I didn't get in anywhere this year. It's quite surprising as I have good stats, competitive ECs, and had my essays reviewed. This just sucks
Same here. I actually can’t stop crying lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bring on the depression
Same here. I actually can’t stop crying lol
Rejected a few hours ago, couldn’t post until I got home from work because my hubby checks SDN and I didn’t want him to find out that way.
My dad and brother went to the U and it sucked applying out of state although I lived 22 of my 24 years there and plan to return. I’m heartbroken. But grateful to have acceptances and others yet to hear from.
Sorry @koster35 you deserved this.
OOS, no ties, interviewed in November. Rejected
only school left, tomorrow is my birthday.
Rejected just now. IS, interviewed in October
Man that hurt. Just got the R. IS female, LM 70. Interviewed in September.
Took that R. OOS with ties. I guess they didn’t want another white mormon male from BYU 🤣 I suppose I’m not too upset about it — the closure is nice. I just wish it had come 4 months ago haha. Congrats to those accepted!
R. OOS with ties. Interviewed in Sept. Suerte to the rest of you!
To everyone (including those I didn't quote), I'm still planning on this pity party I was talking about. We all deserve happiness, despite it not coming from Utah. Let's take a minute to forget the rejection and hurt and just unload from the stress! We just made it through an incredibly hard time! Let's give ourselves some praise for what we've done!! I'll be raising my glass to all of you tonight.
I guess I didn't get in anywhere this year. It's quite surprising as I have good stats, competitive ECs, and had my essays reviewed. This just sucks
The issue is a large portion of us feel the exact same way about our application. You can’t just be competitive, you have to be in the top 3-5%. That’s incredibly hard to do and unfortunately comes down to some subjectivity from the ad com and how well you interviewed.
TheBrofessor
Full Member
I have one at CU Denver and at WWAMI
What WWAMI state?
FutureDoctor_MMK3
New Member
Got the call about 30 minutes ago. IS applicant. Interviewed in November. If you haven’t received a call yet, there is still hope. Best of luck to everyone.
Got the call about 30 minutes ago. IS applicant. Interviewed in November. If you haven’t received a call yet, there is still hope. Best of luck to everyone.
Probably one of the last ones! Congratulations!!
Actually trust me they do NOT want you to have that. HahaIS, R, reviewed in December. Had great stats, great experiences. Guess they noticed I don’t have the Holy Ghost, but their loss
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I am LDS and I actually tried to dodge that completely in my essays even though it’s a huge part of my life and service experiences. In my opinion @ J0670 is more on point in regards to what they are looking for. But wow what a great school and my sincere congratulations to all accepted. You have the opportunity of the lifetime, treasure it for those of us out of the running! 🙂
swollenostrich
Full Member
Yes, IS
Actually trust me they do NOT want you to have that. Haha
I am LDS and I actually tried to dodge that completely in my essays even though it’s a huge part of my life and service experiences. In my opinion @ J0670 is more on point in regards to what they are looking for. But wow what a great school and my sincere congratulations to all accepted. You have the opportunity of the lifetime, treasure it for those of us out of the running! 🙂
If they were looking for hippies or liberals I’d have been a shoe in. The truth is, nobody knows what they’re after.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
This is my first post on here, but I've been a long-time lurker. I've had an awful week like many of you on here, but I just got the call a couple hours ago and feel like I'm in a dream! IS, female, non-trad. Interviewed in September through EDP. Good luck to all of you out there!!
I just got a call from Dr. Chan! Accepted!
IS / Interviewed in January / non-trad / Male / Minority
IS / Interviewed in January / non-trad / Male / Minority
Last edited:
bigMCATrescue
Full Member
First-time post, been watching this thread for a while though... I decided to make an account after I got the alternate list notification earlier today. I'm an OOS applicant with Utah ties (BYU grad)... Just wondering if there is anyone on the same boat? Everyone I know personally has been rejected.
Also, if there indeed are different waitlist pools for the different categories of applicants (IS, Idaho, OOS w/ ties, OOS etc.) how many people do you think they keep on the waitlist in each pool?
Let me know if anyone has some insight on here. Hoping to see some waitlist movement soon, although I won't be holding my breath until May 1st arrives! Congrats to all those accepted!! And my heart goes out to all those who received bad news today, keep your heads up!
Also, if there indeed are different waitlist pools for the different categories of applicants (IS, Idaho, OOS w/ ties, OOS etc.) how many people do you think they keep on the waitlist in each pool?
Let me know if anyone has some insight on here. Hoping to see some waitlist movement soon, although I won't be holding my breath until May 1st arrives! Congrats to all those accepted!! And my heart goes out to all those who received bad news today, keep your heads up!
Last edited:
This is my third year applying. I’m on the alternate list again. First year I ended up on the alternate list and was on it until July 25th, after which received a rejection email. It was brutal.
I’m not exactly sure how many people they keep on each list though. It’s a tough mental process but there is definite movement each year but it is slow usually.
I’m not exactly sure how many people they keep on each list though. It’s a tough mental process but there is definite movement each year but it is slow usually.
D
deleted949680
Is anybody else still waiting to hear back about a decision? I was expecting to hear something one way or another today but have not received an email yet.
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1Is anybody else still waiting to hear back about a decision? I was expecting to hear something one way or another today but have not received an email yet.
It could be really good news or really bad ha maybe tomorrow will tell
D
deleted949680
At least I’m not the only one! But I get a bad feeling, like they probably forgot to add me to the email list for rejections. Hopefully we’ll get an actual answer tomorrow one way or the other.+1
It could be really good news or really bad ha maybe tomorrow will tell
LilButterFriend
Full Member
I had to take the whole day yesterday to process, I cried for nearly 4 hours and my family was really gutted but I am feeling much more optimistic today. I'm so sorry @koster35, @dr_of_rock and everyone that also got the R, you all deserved better! I know with certainty we all did everything, and way more, to be competitive applicants. If anything I think the idea we aren't good enough for this school hurts more than the loss of opportunity itself.
Even when I told myself it was unlikely I'd get in, I still got my degree at the U of U and 3 of my 5 letters were from U of U professors/faculty, all my volunteer experience has been serving this community, I was born and raised here in this culture, my family and everything I love is in Utah. It was extremely heartbreaking to get the R because if feels like these things were essentially worthless to them.
Even so, the applicants that got accepted and waitlisted are extremely deserving (congrats @Doctor13J !) and so are we! Whatever scoring it comes down to, it still involves a good deal of randomness and bias and that doesn't mean we're not worthy; I can confirm as an expert that y'all are cool as hell. Those of you that choose to reapply, it is a wonderful school that is subject to the same limitations as every medical school-- don't give up your dream, whether that is going to UUSOM or anywhere else!
For my part, I am stoked to be accepted to a DO school and I am nervous/excited to be moving with my man to KC. We are both lifetime Utahns and could use some heterogeneity in our world views. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and I am extremely excited for you! At the end of the day, we're going to be friggen doctors
Even when I told myself it was unlikely I'd get in, I still got my degree at the U of U and 3 of my 5 letters were from U of U professors/faculty, all my volunteer experience has been serving this community, I was born and raised here in this culture, my family and everything I love is in Utah. It was extremely heartbreaking to get the R because if feels like these things were essentially worthless to them.
Even so, the applicants that got accepted and waitlisted are extremely deserving (congrats @Doctor13J !) and so are we! Whatever scoring it comes down to, it still involves a good deal of randomness and bias and that doesn't mean we're not worthy; I can confirm as an expert that y'all are cool as hell. Those of you that choose to reapply, it is a wonderful school that is subject to the same limitations as every medical school-- don't give up your dream, whether that is going to UUSOM or anywhere else!
For my part, I am stoked to be accepted to a DO school and I am nervous/excited to be moving with my man to KC. We are both lifetime Utahns and could use some heterogeneity in our world views. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and I am extremely excited for you! At the end of the day, we're going to be friggen doctors

2 years ago I was dragged to MO for my man to start DO school after being a lifetime Utahn so I have some experience in this department! DM me if I can help in any way. You’ll love KC.I had to take the whole day yesterday to process, I cried for nearly 4 hours and my family was really gutted but I am feeling much more optimistic today. I'm so sorry @koster35, @dr_of_rock and everyone that also got the R, you all deserved better! I know with certainty we all did everything, and way more, to be competitive applicants. If anything I think the idea we aren't good enough for this school hurts more than the loss of opportunity itself.
Even when I told myself it was unlikely I'd get in, I still got my degree at the U of U and 3 of my 5 letters were from U of U professors/faculty, all my volunteer experience has been serving this community, I was born and raised here in this culture, my family and everything I love is in Utah. It was extremely heartbreaking to get the R because if feels like these things were essentially worthless to them.
Even so, the applicants that got accepted and waitlisted are extremely deserving (congrats @Doctor13J !) and so are we! Whatever scoring it comes down to, it still involves a good deal of randomness and bias and that doesn't mean we're not worthy; I can confirm as an expert that y'all are cool as hell. Those of you that choose to reapply, it is a wonderful school that is subject to the same limitations as every medical school-- don't give up your dream, whether that is going to UUSOM or anywhere else!
For my part, I am stoked to be accepted to a DO school and I am nervous/excited to be moving with my man to KC. We are both lifetime Utahns and could use some heterogeneity in our world views. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and I am extremely excited for you! At the end of the day, we're going to be friggen doctors![]()
We just have to stay positive. Whatever happens, it is all going to be ok. We have waited this long what is one more day. It is all going to work out. I’ll keep you posted if anything changes!At least I’m not the only one! But I get a bad feeling, like they probably forgot to add me to the email list for rejections. Hopefully we’ll get an actual answer tomorrow one way or the other.