2019-2020 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate list - OOS no ties

Members don't see this ad.

OOS people on alternate list do you have other acceptances? I have one to UNM but Utah is my top choice, trying to figure out if there will be movement

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the R. OOS w/ties. Oh well! Good luck to those still waiting!

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
OOS people on alternate list do you have other acceptances? I have one to UNM but Utah is my top choice, trying to figure out if there will be movement

everyone I know with an acceptance here is also holding acceptances at at least one other school. I also had tons of friends do this last year, and there was quite a bit of movement off the waitlist in May!

Reactions: 1 users
As a resident of WA with connections to OR, I am on 2 alternate lists, 2 on hold/yet to hear from after the interview, and 2 interviews scheduled. No acceptances.

everyone I know with an acceptance here is also holding acceptances at at least one other school. I also had tons of friends do this last year, and there was quite a bit of movement off the waitlist in May!
That is encouraging to hear!

Alternate list email just now. IS. Interviewed Dec 13th. 3rd year applicant.

R. OOS with ties. Interviewed in Sept. Suerte to the rest of you!

Last edited:
Took that R. OOS with ties. I guess they didn’t want another white mormon male from BYU :rofl: I suppose I’m not too upset about it — the closure is nice. I just wish it had come 4 months ago haha. Congrats to those accepted!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected just now. IS, interviewed in September

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Got the R email, IS. I feel terrible

• Sad
Sending love to you all. I know how much it hurts.

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected. IS.

Been a lurker on this thread for a while now. I’m incredibly disappointed, but so grateful to have opportunities at several DO programs. I would love to reapply next year to the U but delaying my career another year would be tough for my family.

While it stings, I’m also feeling motivated. Whatever or wherever you all end up doing or being, with work and grind every day you can become exactly who you want to be!

This hasn’t killed my dream and I hope it hasn’t killed yours!

Peace out Utah :)

• Love
Got accepted about 2 hours ago. Been lurking like many others. IS applicant. Congrats to everyone else! And good luck to those who go somewhere else.

OOS, no ties, interviewed in November. Rejected
only school left, tomorrow is my birthday.

• Sad
  • Dislike
Alternate list. OOS, no ties.

Best of luck to those remaining, and lots of love to those who didn't get the outcome they were hoping for today...

Alternate list, IS, interviewed in November. Feeling very hopeful and excited! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

R. Interviewed back in September with EDP. IS. I'll be down south at RVU, good luck everyone!

Rejected a few hours ago, couldn’t post until I got home from work because my hubby checks SDN and I didn’t want him to find out that way.
My dad and brother went to the U and it sucked applying out of state although I lived 22 of my 24 years there and plan to return. I’m heartbroken. But grateful to have acceptances and others yet to hear from.

Sorry @koster35 you deserved this.

• Sad
I guess I didn't get in anywhere this year. It's quite surprising as I have good stats, competitive ECs, and had my essays reviewed. This just sucks

• Sad
Rejected a few hours ago, couldn’t post until I got home from work because my hubby checks SDN and I didn’t want him to find out that way.
My dad and brother went to the U and it sucked applying out of state although I lived 22 of my 24 years there and plan to return. I’m heartbroken. But grateful to have acceptances and others yet to hear from.

If anyone deserved it, it was you. I'm sorry you had to apply OOS. Such a bummer. Thanks for all of the encouragement! You are an incredible applicant and deserve all the best. Best of luck to you moving forward.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I didn't get in anywhere this year. It's quite surprising as I have good stats, competitive ECs, and had my essays reviewed. This just sucks

Same here. I actually can’t stop crying lol

• Sad
Bring on the depression
Same here. I actually can’t stop crying lol

OOS, no ties, interviewed in November. Rejected
only school left, tomorrow is my birthday.
Rejected just now. IS, interviewed in October
Man that hurt. Just got the R. IS female, LM 70. Interviewed in September.
Took that R. OOS with ties. I guess they didn’t want another white mormon male from BYU :rofl: I suppose I’m not too upset about it — the closure is nice. I just wish it had come 4 months ago haha. Congrats to those accepted!
R. OOS with ties. Interviewed in Sept. Suerte to the rest of you!

To everyone (including those I didn't quote), I'm still planning on this pity party I was talking about. We all deserve happiness, despite it not coming from Utah. Let's take a minute to forget the rejection and hurt and just unload from the stress! We just made it through an incredibly hard time! Let's give ourselves some praise for what we've done!! I'll be raising my glass to all of you tonight.

The issue is a large portion of us feel the exact same way about our application. You can’t just be competitive, you have to be in the top 3-5%. That’s incredibly hard to do and unfortunately comes down to some subjectivity from the ad com and how well you interviewed.

Jokes on them. I didn’t want to go to that hippie liberal school anyway.

• Haha
Got the call about 30 minutes ago. IS applicant. Interviewed in November. If you haven’t received a call yet, there is still hope. Best of luck to everyone.

IS, R, reviewed in December. Had great stats, great experiences. Guess they noticed I don’t have the Holy Ghost, but their loss

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Haha
  • Love
  • Dislike
IS, R, reviewed in December. Had great stats, great experiences. Guess they noticed I don’t have the Holy Ghost, but their loss

Actually trust me they do NOT want you to have that. Haha
I am LDS and I actually tried to dodge that completely in my essays even though it’s a huge part of my life and service experiences. In my opinion @ J0670 is more on point in regards to what they are looking for. But wow what a great school and my sincere congratulations to all accepted. You have the opportunity of the lifetime, treasure it for those of us out of the running! :)

Actually trust me they do NOT want you to have that. Haha
I am LDS and I actually tried to dodge that completely in my essays even though it’s a huge part of my life and service experiences. In my opinion @ J0670 is more on point in regards to what they are looking for. But wow what a great school and my sincere congratulations to all accepted. You have the opportunity of the lifetime, treasure it for those of us out of the running! :)

If they were looking for hippies or liberals I’d have been a shoe in. The truth is, nobody knows what they’re after.

This is my first post on here, but I've been a long-time lurker. I've had an awful week like many of you on here, but I just got the call a couple hours ago and feel like I'm in a dream! IS, female, non-trad. Interviewed in September through EDP. Good luck to all of you out there!!

Reactions: 8 users
I just got a call from Dr. Chan! Accepted!

IS / Interviewed in January / non-trad / Male / Minority

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
First-time post, been watching this thread for a while though... I decided to make an account after I got the alternate list notification earlier today. I'm an OOS applicant with Utah ties (BYU grad)... Just wondering if there is anyone on the same boat? Everyone I know personally has been rejected.

Also, if there indeed are different waitlist pools for the different categories of applicants (IS, Idaho, OOS w/ ties, OOS etc.) how many people do you think they keep on the waitlist in each pool?

Let me know if anyone has some insight on here. Hoping to see some waitlist movement soon, although I won't be holding my breath until May 1st arrives! Congrats to all those accepted!! And my heart goes out to all those who received bad news today, keep your heads up!

Last edited:
This is my third year applying. I’m on the alternate list again. First year I ended up on the alternate list and was on it until July 25th, after which received a rejection email. It was brutal.

I’m not exactly sure how many people they keep on each list though. It’s a tough mental process but there is definite movement each year but it is slow usually.

Is anybody else still waiting to hear back about a decision? I was expecting to hear something one way or another today but have not received an email yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anybody else still waiting to hear back about a decision? I was expecting to hear something one way or another today but have not received an email yet.
+1
It could be really good news or really bad ha maybe tomorrow will tell

+1
It could be really good news or really bad ha maybe tomorrow will tell
At least I’m not the only one! But I get a bad feeling, like they probably forgot to add me to the email list for rejections. Hopefully we’ll get an actual answer tomorrow one way or the other.

I had to take the whole day yesterday to process, I cried for nearly 4 hours and my family was really gutted but I am feeling much more optimistic today. I'm so sorry @koster35, @dr_of_rock and everyone that also got the R, you all deserved better! I know with certainty we all did everything, and way more, to be competitive applicants. If anything I think the idea we aren't good enough for this school hurts more than the loss of opportunity itself.
Even when I told myself it was unlikely I'd get in, I still got my degree at the U of U and 3 of my 5 letters were from U of U professors/faculty, all my volunteer experience has been serving this community, I was born and raised here in this culture, my family and everything I love is in Utah. It was extremely heartbreaking to get the R because if feels like these things were essentially worthless to them.
Even so, the applicants that got accepted and waitlisted are extremely deserving (congrats @Doctor13J !) and so are we! Whatever scoring it comes down to, it still involves a good deal of randomness and bias and that doesn't mean we're not worthy; I can confirm as an expert that y'all are cool as hell. Those of you that choose to reapply, it is a wonderful school that is subject to the same limitations as every medical school-- don't give up your dream, whether that is going to UUSOM or anywhere else!
For my part, I am stoked to be accepted to a DO school and I am nervous/excited to be moving with my man to KC. We are both lifetime Utahns and could use some heterogeneity in our world views. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and I am extremely excited for you! At the end of the day, we're going to be friggen doctors :clap:

• Love
I had to take the whole day yesterday to process, I cried for nearly 4 hours and my family was really gutted but I am feeling much more optimistic today. I'm so sorry @koster35, @dr_of_rock and everyone that also got the R, you all deserved better! I know with certainty we all did everything, and way more, to be competitive applicants. If anything I think the idea we aren't good enough for this school hurts more than the loss of opportunity itself.
Even when I told myself it was unlikely I'd get in, I still got my degree at the U of U and 3 of my 5 letters were from U of U professors/faculty, all my volunteer experience has been serving this community, I was born and raised here in this culture, my family and everything I love is in Utah. It was extremely heartbreaking to get the R because if feels like these things were essentially worthless to them.
Even so, the applicants that got accepted and waitlisted are extremely deserving (congrats @Doctor13J !) and so are we! Whatever scoring it comes down to, it still involves a good deal of randomness and bias and that doesn't mean we're not worthy; I can confirm as an expert that y'all are cool as hell. Those of you that choose to reapply, it is a wonderful school that is subject to the same limitations as every medical school-- don't give up your dream, whether that is going to UUSOM or anywhere else!
For my part, I am stoked to be accepted to a DO school and I am nervous/excited to be moving with my man to KC. We are both lifetime Utahns and could use some heterogeneity in our world views. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and I am extremely excited for you! At the end of the day, we're going to be friggen doctors :clap:
2 years ago I was dragged to MO for my man to start DO school after being a lifetime Utahn so I have some experience in this department! DM me if I can help in any way. You’ll love KC.

• Love
At least I’m not the only one! But I get a bad feeling, like they probably forgot to add me to the email list for rejections. Hopefully we’ll get an actual answer tomorrow one way or the other.
We just have to stay positive. Whatever happens, it is all going to be ok. We have waited this long what is one more day. It is all going to work out. I’ll keep you posted if anything changes!