2020-2021 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had to withdraw from organic chem my sophomore after being hospitalized with mono. I took orgo 1 and 2 the following semesters, aced them both, then became an orgo tutor. I used this as one of the most meaningful experiences on my primary, but anyone this would be worth repeating for the "inconsistencies in academic performance" question on the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice on the "Describe Yourself" question ?
Nothing academic. Humanize yourself by talking about hobbies or your great passions and how it might contribute to your passion to pursue medicine/being a human. Or if you got none, ask someone you know how they'd describe you and then think about what's made you that way.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to confirm with someone who has received: all of these are on the secondary?
  • If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then? (1,000 characters)
  • Describe yourself: (1,000 characters)
  • Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. (1,000 characters)
  • Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters)
  • Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (1,000 characters)
  • In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1,000 characters
  • the COVID one?

Two COVID questions:
1) The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.)- 1000 characters
2) If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19. (1000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, past cycle applicant here. I can't remember when exactly I received my Albany secondary but it was MUCH later than my others. They ended up being my second interview invite in late August and my first acceptance. So its coming! They just run a little late for some reason. Hang in there!

Reactions: 12 users
Hi everyone, past cycle applicant here. I can't remember when exactly I received my Albany secondary but it was MUCH later than my others. They ended up being my second interview invite in late August and my first acceptance. So its coming! They just run a little late for some reason. Hang in there!

Do you have any advice for us mere mortals here?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone keep getting redirected to an error page when trying to set up account in portal?

Anyone keep getting redirected to an error page when trying to set up account in portal?
Yes it keeps showing me an error. I tried their suggestions at the end of the email for if the portal doesn't work and that didn't help either so I will probably send an email.

Yes it keeps showing me an error. I tried their suggestions at the end of the email for if the portal doesn't work and that didn't help either so I will probably send an email.
Try on your phone it works from there!

for the "Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters)" question, should we explain what we did during our gap years? (I'm taking 2 gap years before what would be my matriculation if I get in somewhere). Thanks!

for the "Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters)" question, should we explain what we did during our gap years? (I'm taking 2 gap years before what would be my matriculation if I get in somewhere). Thanks!
I will be talking about my gap year. Cant hurt

OOS, just received today and submitted. @soroe with. Also odd, showing my most recent MCAT as "planned" although scores released 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone been asked to provide a copy of the permanent resident card? If so, how long did it take for them to process it? I emailed the admissions office with the copy 7 days ago, but it's still pending and I cannot submit my secondary application until they receive it :(

Verified 7/15, has anyone verified then received a secondary? Waiting on this school and 3 others

Anyone else having an issue with "finalizing" their secondary application? Do we have to wait for the application and fee to be received first (both say pending right now)?

I know someone already asked this, but for the "Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason?" question, does anyone have any concrete answer if they mean school attendance DURING school or if gap years count as this. Theres schools that ask about gaps IN your undergrad education, and there are schools that ask about gaps between undergrad and medical school.

Has anyone else not received a secondary from them yet? OOS with stats high enough to get through most preliminary screenings

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone else not received a secondary from them yet? OOS with stats high enough to get through most preliminary screenings
Im IS and also have not received secondary. Submitted 5/28 also with high enough stats.

Anyone else having an issue with "finalizing" their secondary application? Do we have to wait for the application and fee to be received first (both say pending right now)?
same thing for me. We shall wait for them to turn from pending to yes I guess

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? LM 73.2, OOS and kinda confused why I haven’t gotten one yet

Reactions: 4 users
same here. I hope this doesn't affect the 2-week turnaround time for secondaries tho :/

Has anyone been having issues paying the app fee? I've been getting errors paying with credit card and it won't let me submit my secondary.

Also not sure how to submit this application. Taken to a blank page each time I attempt to pay, hesitant to press pay again....

Also not sure how to submit this application. Taken to a blank page each time I attempt to pay, hesitant to press pay again....
Same issue I've been having. I tried switching cards, switching browsers...

I checked with my bank and apparently none of the payments have been going through.

Hmm, have you tried emailing/calling them? Always frustrating when the application is ready to be submitted and can't actually click the button :(

Hmm, have you tried emailing/calling them? Always frustrating when the application is ready to be submitted and can't actually click the button :(
Yeah I dropped them an email. If it's also happening for you as well, it might help to email them also so that they know it's not just a problem on my end.

+10000 OOS received a secondary!

Edit: Welp I guess I was far off, +7 OOS

what does "has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective" mean?